New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Magical Amusement Park

As some of my group is going to be absent through February we've decided to pause our current campaign and run a short-ish PF game with our remaining members.

Seeing as the plot outline I have is something that could be done in any sizable populated area, I was thinking of going with a high-fantasy version of Disney World. A walled-off city-sized theme park for the conspicuously wealthy where the magic isn't merely metaphorical. I'm looking for ideas for attractions that can make it interesting.

So, what would you want or hope to see in such a setting?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magical Amusement Park

I think you could just take what you'd find in a normal amusement park and "magic it up" a bit.

A menagerie of animals, magical beasts, maybe even a small dragon. They might be ho hum to adventurers, but your average town- or city-folk wouldn't be likely to ever see these things otherwise.

What amusement park is complete without rides? In addition to some standards like a Ferris Wheel, you can have magic carpet rides (literally), short-range low-level teleport rides (this should seriously be a rush to commoners who have never done any teleporting), frictionless slides, and so on. With magic you can even have "virtual reality" rides and holographic displays.

Think World's Fair. You can have displays of new exciting inventions, both mechanical and magical. Who wouldn't want a ride in an Apparatus of Qualish?

Think Disney. Magical fireworks every night, little villages of dwarven, elven, halfling, gnome cultures. Big costumes of adorable monsters (a guy in a gelatinous cube costume!) and well-known heroes of the realm.

Round out with a freak show, using rare monstrous humanoids or such.

And finally, games! The use of magic allows for a lot of variations on the old carny games, even using just cantrips. Acid splash to disintegrate your way through a canvas (shoot out the star), ray of frost to hit balloons, knock over the bottles with a ball (except the bottles run away), create water into the clown's mouth, etc.
    Last edited by prufock; 2015-01-16 at 08:52 AM.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

It won't be a really serious campaign I guess?

Magic can be added to more than the rides. Tickets can be scribed with magical feathers and stamps, parents might use Silence spells on their children, a prankster might put up a poster of Explosive Runes. "Hey, this looks like a cool ride- BOOM".

The PCs might hurt people on accident. Nat 1 on a ray of frost? You miss the balloon and hit the vendor. The vendor can even lash back when he thaws.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-01-16 at 09:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    So, what would you want or hope to see in such a setting?
    Crazyland.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.