New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 5: It's canon. Deal with it.

The platinum thing isn't really "still going" since Book 1, since they revisited it in Book 4 by making Kuvira's mech covered in it. But there's not much more to say about it, I guess.

I just ordered all three volumes of Promise. I might get other comics depending on whether I like them. Of course, neither the writing nor the art will be done by quite the same people in the LoK comics, so they're a separate thing. I believe they're still looking for an artist to do the LoK comics, in fact.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-07-27 at 10:28 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, me posting about that was what brought this thread back from the grave not long ago. I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp as well. I never read the Last Airbender comics, but more out of lack of interest than anything else. With Legend of Korra though I am interested in seeing what comes next, both simply as far as the story of Korra as the Avatar goes and in terms of her new relationship with Asami, so this one I will be picking up.
    I'm interested in how the relationship will be handled when they can be more overt. I think they did the more subtle interactions better than say with mako.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I just ordered all three volumes of Promise. I might get other comics depending on whether I like them. Of course, neither the writing nor the art will be done by quite the same people in the LoK comics, so they're a separate thing. I believe they're still looking for an artist to do the LoK comics, in fact.
    I remember I bought it for a friend for her birthday, even though I still hadn't read it. :P

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

For the record, the comics up to this point weren't written by Bryke, and I'm not even sure how much input they had in them. A lot of fans don't really like the directions certain things go. To wit:
    Spoiler: Zuko's Mom
    Show
    Ursa went to the spirit that is Koh the Face Stealer's mother and got a new identity to escape from Ozai. Or something like that.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

As far as I know, Mike and Bryan are consulted for the ATLA comics and approve of what happens in them, even though the writing is done by someone else. The LoK comics will be written by Mike, with Bryan in a consulting position.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    As far as I know, Mike and Bryan are consulted for the ATLA comics and approve of what happens in them, even though the writing is done by someone else. The LoK comics will be written by Mike, with Bryan in a consulting position.
    That's correct. In his graphic novels Gene Yang did consult with Mike and Bryan. I liked The Promise and The Search, but I guess there are quite a few fans of the series that didn't.

I did hear that the new graphic novels will explore Asami and Korra's new relationship, which is cool. Maybe it'll be about their coming out? Fans have been speculating on how accepting people are of same-sex relationships in the Avatar-verse since Korrasami was even considered as something that might happen. I guess we'll get to see.

Though one thing I've been curious about since the end of Book 4 is what ultimately happened to Kuvira. She surrendered, disbanded her army and was led off in handcuffs to "answer for everything she's done." What happened after that? Did she get stuck in a purpose-built prison for the rest of her life like the Red Lotus members?

7. - Top - End - #547
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, does anyone else find themselves consciously quoting Korra's "Deal with it!"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    That's correct. In his graphic novels Gene Yang did consult with Mike and Bryan. I liked The Promise and The Search, but I guess there are quite a few fans of the series that didn't.
    They are controversial, but the Avatar fandom exists in a state of more or less permanent controversy, so I don't put much stock into it until I read them myself.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno about this, romance has never been Bryke's strongpoint, their best pairing usually happen mostly offscreen.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

So I just read The Promise:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was interesting. I chuckled at some of the jokes. Creating original characters doesn't seem to be Yang's strong point though, I have to say. :P

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

11. - Top - End - #551
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    Well, I'm personally fine with that. It makes sense symbolically, both because it's representative of Japan, who were the first in Asia to independently industrialize, and because fire itself is representative of knowledge and progress. It also makes sense in-universe that a people with a literal command over fire would be able to industrialize faster, thus leading to things like engines and the like. The main problem he was having is that airships, at least in the way their depicted on the show, are physically impossible to work the way they do. :P
    I like airships, but I know enough physics to know that the volume of lifting gas required to lift any significant mass is HUGE. So when it comes to sf airships, I kind-of default to a having my disbelief pleasantly suspended and get on with enjoying them. That having been said, perhaps they're filled with some 'super-buoyant' material, thanks to bending science. High-temperate hydrogen? Vacuum? Who knows?

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

I got the Promise comics in the mail today. I got through the first book quickly. Seems pretty good, I suppose, although it comes across as if everyone is acting unreasonably for the sake of conflict at times.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

The promise a decent comic. The premice is. And the Ozai/Zuko scenes are great. But god are the side plots pretty awfull.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2015-08-05 at 09:33 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    The promise a decent comic. The premice is. And the Ozai/Zuko scenes are great. But god are the side plots pretty awfull.
    Yeah, I was rather underwhelmed. I did, however, enjoy the Search and the Rift, but I'm not sure which one I actually liked better. I'm leaning towards the Rift but I'd have to reread them to be sure.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds like a fair summation. Having just finished, I found it not great, but not bad. I don't regret buying it and I'll buy more in the future.

I do feel as though the comic tackles an interesting premise, but doesn't do a very good job at it... which is a running theme with this franchise, really. Still better than Book 1 of LoK, of course. I do need to give The Promise props for dealing with the issues of repatriation and trying to restore order after a long war... which, as it turns out, doesn't magically fix itself after the bad guy is beaten and jailed. The execution is just a little creaky. I'm also not sure what to make of Aang's attitude towards his fanclub a.k.a. air acolytes. Hopefully they get more development in the other comics, since in LoK they were more or less background props.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Not exactly Korra, but it's the same universe...so...deal with it.

Spoiler
    Show
    MY CABBAGES!

I decided to branch out from fantasy costuming to a little bit of cosplay. The Cabbage Merchant is still one of my favorite characters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

*Snort* Hehe, ok, wasn't expecting that.
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

The legend lives on, indeed.