New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Looking for a good system.

My group has played a mixture of GURPS and Call of Cthulhu and it's now my turn to GM. I am looking to run a fantasy campaign for the first time! I'm looking forward to it but I don't really know about any good fantasy systems. Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a good system.

There are quite a lot when you get down to it! Are you looking for a specific sort of setting/style of play, or do you just want general recommendations?

Some general recommendations; if you want to know more you have but to ask:
    D&D 5e- The new system from Wizards of the Coast; I've generally heard good things about it, but haven't played it myself. You've gotten this far in the hobby so I'm presuming that you have a general idea as to what it is.

New World of Darkness- Good for modern fantasy, and it has a variety of splats from Vampires to Changelings to Mummies to Demons and more; it also supports cross-splat play should you be so inclined. If you do look at/use it, you should also get the God-Machine rules update.

FATE and derivatives- it's a generic system that runs on more narrative principles, but it's super flexible. The official Dresden Files rpg uses a version of FATE, and you can get FATE accelerated (a simplified but entirely function version of the full system) for free.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine- a personal favorite, it's also more generic but it's excellent if you want a large focus on roleplay and character interaction and less on granular combat. It's a diceless system that uses xp mechanics to guide and pace the narrative and is generally pretty brilliant.

Nobilis- it's my list so I get to add my pet systems. If you want to play high powered games about gods over specific aspects of reality (ranging from Time to Instant Ramen- trust me, it's balanced) and their fights against the void and each other, this is the system & setting for you.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

3. - Top - End - #3

I know it's bad form to quote oneself, especially in a chain, but I can't resist; I love this flowchart.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthpawSoldier View Post
    To quote myself from this thread that was asking a similar question;

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Cool idea. Cool name. I like this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Obviously this is how a Beholder's anti-magic eye works. It's not just negating magic, it's gathering valuable Vitamin A(rcane).
    I am a CN Human Wizard (5th Level)
    STR 8; DEX 10; CON 10; INT 15; WIS 10; CHA 9

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

There are a number of systems tgat are cross genre which have specific settings developed for them. Of ciurse these systems can also be used to create your own setting.

d20 SRD
    Savage Worlds
    Fate
    Fudge
    d6 or Mini-six

All of the above, except Savage Worlds, have free core rules that you can download and use.

I'm of course assuming you know about the fantasy options for GURPS.
    Last edited by aspekt; 2015-01-19 at 01:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

A lot depends on what you consider "Good", but I'll toss out Hackmaster Basic. Combat is opposed d20 rolls, with second-by-second action (once your turn comes up, you can use every second to move, and can attack or cast every X seconds, depending on what you did last).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geostationary View Post
    FATE and derivatives- it's a generic system that runs on more narrative principles, but it's super flexible. The official Dresden Files rpg uses a version of FATE, and you can get FATE accelerated (a simplified but entirely function version of the full system) for free.
    Both Fate Core and Accelerated are available on a Pay-What-You-Want basis, not just Accelerated.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going light on the magic, Chronica Feudalis is a really good system. It's solid, it's built around four subsystems that give it actual support to chases, subterfuge, parley, and combat (which includes things like modeling some clothing worn during a parley as tools using the general purpose tool rules, wherein you actually can exploit looking important through clothing mechanically), and it's written as if it was a found document originally made by some bored monks in a monastery, which gives it a lot of style.

I'm also going to second Fudge here. Fantasy Fudge is developed as an example complete setting in the 10th Anniversary Edition, and there's The Deryni Adventure Game if you like the Deryni setting in particular.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

OP, if you're familiar with GURPS, their Dungeon Fantasy supplements deal exclusively with fantasy.

But I second thinking about exactly what you want and go from there.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Lords of Gossamer & Shadow by Rite Publishing, ha Fantasy, and traversing the Multiverse (ala Kingdom Hearts). It's highly Diceless so it might not appeal to many, but you could read pick up the books and take it to any system you like.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I will try Savage Worlds for the first time tomorrow. Mainly because every single player I'm having over is a beginner and the last time I tried to teach the rules behemoth that is DnD to new players did not turn out that good. I'll let you know how it went.

But, since you have experience with RPGs since before, maybe you can try DnD out. In that case, I would recommend Pathfinder.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

As a Note: Lords of Gossamer and Shadow is 'rules lite'. The highest number wins (unless other narrtive factors change things, but its really interpretation.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Songtress View Post
    Lords of Gossamer & Shadow by Rite Publishing, ha Fantasy, and traversing the Multiverse (ala Kingdom Hearts). It's highly Diceless so it might not appeal to many, but you could read pick up the books and take it to any system you like.
    Isn't it mostly Amber Diceless without the IP attached?

13. - Top - End - #13

PaladinGuy

For a relatively easy system to pick up, I honestly find Pathfinder is the easiest. That being said, it depends on how much combat you want versus storytelling. Fantasy Hero is my preferred for a more flexible story telling in fantasy settings.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flame12 View Post
    For a relatively easy system to pick up, I honestly find Pathfinder is the easiest. That being said, it depends on how much combat you want versus storytelling. Fantasy Hero is my preferred for a more flexible story telling in fantasy settings.
    Pathfinder may be a lot of things. Simple and easy to pick up I don't think are really on the list.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    OP, if you're familiar with GURPS, their Dungeon Fantasy supplements deal exclusively with fantasy.

But I second thinking about exactly what you want and go from there.
    +2 this & ask your group what kind of expectations they have in regard to "Fantasy"
    Wrath of the Righteous! (Alpha)
    Wrath of the Righteous! (Bravo)
    Emerald City Nightmare!
    The Blood Answers
    Emerald City ICONS
    Seven of Spades
    All my games are on hiatus. I need to (per my editor) take some time for my book. I will return - hopefully in 2-4 weeks.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Isn't it mostly Amber Diceless without the IP attached?
    It is, up to using the same system. I'm not sure how different the settings are as I'm not terribly familiar with either, but I've always heard good things.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!