New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask OOC

I'm having a lazy Saturday at home (thanks, snow), which actually hasn't been lazy at all, so far. That said, if I'm not able to complete my background and post it tonight, I feel certain that I will have plenty of time to do so tomorrow.

Is "Grekka" a decent name for a quasi-local? She's a half-orc, born in the Insula Mater to an impoverished peasant mother. I haven't put anything about whether or not her mother stayed around or went on, or died- I'm happy to consider any of the above options. In any case, her mother is NOT a locally-born woman, though [Grekka] was born in Wati, so perhaps the name isn't quite as important.

Planning on being a native, for the campaign trait, and also to tie in with my dirty fighter trait and my overprotective drawback. Again, should have history done tonight or tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you're a half-orc then a half-orc name is fine, but then you'll be seen as a half-orc first and foremost. Whereas if you have a Garundi name then it would mean your human heritage dominates, at least in the eyes of others. Does that make sense? You can choose either way.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-24 at 01:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

NecromancerGuy

How about changing my PC's name to Vershab Fethi?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    If you're a half-orc then a half-orc name is fine, but then you'll be seen as a half-orc first and foremost. Whereas if you have a Garundi name then it would mean your human heritage dominates, at least in the eyes of others. Does that make sense? You can choose either way.
    In the interest of perhaps playing into most people general dislike of me, I'll stick with the half-orc name, then. Good thing I'm outgoing, and Victor Vershab has no friends, or we'd never get anywhere!

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    How about changing my PC's name to Vershab Fethi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    In the interest of perhaps playing into most people general dislike of me, I'll stick with the half-orc name, then. Good thing I'm outgoing, and Victor Vershab has no friends, or we'd never get anywhere!
    Both are fine by me.

Now, regarding the matter of healing. I understand the group will not include a full healer; possibly, at level 1, nobody will have healing abilities. I don't want to force one of you to pick such a class, that's boring. On the other hand, without a healer you're unlikely to get far. So, I came up with a couple of workarounds. Please pick one of the below (or use this as inspiration to propose another):
    1) Overprotective parents
    One of the paladin's parents had a short, unsuccessful adventuring past, lost several friends to traps and monsters, and swore that career off. Understandbly, neither parent is happy with their son's chosen path. They're very worried, but when they realized there was no dissuading him, they opened an old chest, extracted a dusty Wand of Cure Light Wounds and gave it to him. The family's means are modest, and the paladin realizes the wand's value is a significant part of their meagre fortune. (To be clear: This means the paladin will have to refund the wand's full value at some point, ie 255gp). The wand has 17 charges.
    2) Shrewd sponsor
    The investigator has a couple of rich acquaintances, and one of them sees great potential in him. When he heard the investigator was planning to participate in Wati's exploration lottery, he offered to sponsor him. His help takes the form of a set of 15 potions of Cure Light Wounds, plus a 50gp stipend to spend on equipment. In exchange, he asks for 10% of the first 3 explorations' proceeds (ie. the resell value of any valuables, including magic items), with a hint that continued association could bring great benefits to both parties.
    3) Supportive church
    The church of Sarenrae in Wati is rather small, with clergy consisting of just 2 full clerics and 1 acolyte, but they are ambitious and would like to raise the Dawnflower's profile in the city. Being joined by a budding paladin was a great boost to their group, as this is a rare event. They are eager to support him, so they offered him 3 potions of Cure Light Wounds as a gift upon receiving his vows of service, and promised to provide healing to him and his friends at half the usually charged cost (5 gp x spell level x caster level, and a 10 gp flat fee for restorative channeling).
    4) Embalmer's Guild connection
    Omar Habatani noticed the adventuring streak in his student, Vershab, and as he grew to like the socially inept young man over the years, he wants to give him a little help on the side, without letting the guild authorities in to it. He gave Vershab a box full with potions brewed by the guilds' medical students during the course of their exercises. Most are healing potions, but they aren't suitable for sale, because they're flawed. They work - usually (80% chance), but there are a few random side effects. The imbiber must make a DC12 fort save or be affected by a mild affliction (1d4: on a 1, the potion is extremely salty making the imbiber painfully thirsty; character is fatigued until he gets a chance to drink at least a full bottle of water (1 liter); on a 2, the potion is horribly bitter, and causes the character to be nauseated for 4 rounds, then sickened for 1 hour (Fort DC12 for half duration) ; on a 3, the character experiences a strong flash of body heat; he suffers a -2 penalty to saves vs fire damage or the effects of heat, for the rest of the day; on a 4, the character becomes dizzy, with a -4 penalty to Dex for 1 hour). There are 28 potions in the box, 24 of which are Cure Light Wounds and 4 are other 1st-level spells.

EDIT: Some changes done, see blue text.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-26 at 10:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

#1 seems... too easy? I mean, obviously, the implication is that we'll help support his/her family, but by adventuring standards, modest accommodations are VERY cheap.

#2 seems like it could be a very healthy mix of helpful and costly. Also opens lots of opportunities for later RP options.

#3 involves reliance on potions, which is arguably worse in every way than a wand. And also may involve running back to town to heal (not something I remember particularly fondly from D2).

As amusing as #4 sounds, it suffers from the same issue as number 3, and I do NOT want to find myself nauseated when I really needed the 1d8+1 Hpz.

My vote goes for #1 or 2. Either one will (hopefully) get us over the hump that is level 1 healing, and both have their own brand of costs.

With sufficient background tie-ins, I'd even be glad to have Grekka and the paladin (who's name I have not yet committed to memory) be close enough that she'd pay from her share to help support the parents, also.

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGuy

As a player I always fear the "easy" options presented by a DM, and #1 is easy. That scares me enough to make me consider meta-gaming and being concerned with their survival and well-being before anything has even happened.

Numbers 2-4 all have significant enough costs to make the PC debate the value of each option, making them all interesting, though. I like the wand option best, but there are advantages to having a stash of potions too.

In the final analysis I would vote for #2, but could be convinced to try #3 too.

8. - Top - End - #38

I drafted this without paying close attention to exact cost vs value of each option. I could be talked into changing some parameters.

The way I see it, you have this:
    - option 1 is easy but not cheap since you will have a moral obligation to refund Dad and Mum. Also, when the charges are gone, that's it, there's no more where it came from.
    - option 2 offers a useful connection but the cost is unknown. Your investor could make a lot of money on this. He might also end up losing some.
    - option 3 is cheap but having to get out for healing is a serious drawback.
    - option 4 is the only one that's free. Problem is, quality is low. That said, I went overboard with the nauseating effect: scratch that, sickened is bad enough.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I liked #2 and 3 the most at first blush, but I'm starting to like the idea behind #1. My paladin's "Resurrected" campaign trait might play into the parents' dislike of their child's choice to go adventuring, as she has died once already! I like the RP behind 3, and while 2 has some RP fun potential, there's also the potential for a lot of loot getting taxed.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

10. - Top - End - #40

On second thought, I made a few changes, see above in blue text.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Grekka's background is finally done, and updated in my original post. Pending responses on the G+ hangout, Grekka's high concept and trouble are:

High Concept: Abrasive Divine Devestator
    Trouble: Unlikeable, Unlikely Hero

First conflict: ????

12. - Top - End - #42

@ Farmerbink: I had a quick look at Grekka, and while her personality is interesting and probably a nice fit, the choice of inquisitor as a class is a little puzzling. An inquisitor is supposed to hunt down the enemies of the faith; I don't see much in her background that would lead her to do so. Also, Cayden Cailean doesn't strike me as the kind of deity that would have much use for inquisitors in the first place. Can you explain?

@ all: To help with backstory writing, I suggest you answer these few basic questions, taken and expanded from the 16:

1) Where does your character come from?
    - race/ethnicity
    - place of origin
    - family/upbringing
    - training
    - attitude to religion, especially the churches present in Wati
    2) Why did he/she choose to do what he/she does
    - why did he/she take this particular character class
    - what he/she does for a living
    - what are his/her ambitions in life, if any?
    3) Why does he/she want to explore tombs in Wati?
    - what are longer term goals, if any?
    4) Can you name and describe at least a couple of the following:
    - parents, siblings, pets, mentors, past or present love interests, children, friends, enemies...
    5) What is his/her relationship with the other group members
    - how did they meet
    - what does he/she think of each of them?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Are you of the opinion that Cayden Cailean's church simply has zero inquisitors?

I mean, the class might not be common, but it's hard for me to think that having negative experiences with undead (which are largely considered the enemies of most faiths- since they're the enemy of most living things), and training from a worshipper of Cayden Cailean wouldn't explain it, right there.

She's trained in combat- for the sake of protecting herself and others, but she has more personal desire to oppose undead (namely in the necropolis), due to her childhood. She worships C.C. because that's what she was taught.

14. - Top - End - #44

Are you of the opinion that Cayden Cailean's church simply has zero inquisitors?
    I guess I can't find a reason for one to exist, but hey, other people might have better imagination than mine, that's OK

I mean, the class might not be common, but it's hard for me to think that having negative experiences with undead (which are largely considered the enemies of most faiths- since they're the enemy of most living things), and training from a worshipper of Cayden Cailean wouldn't explain it, right there.

She's trained in combat- for the sake of protecting herself and others, but she has more personal desire to oppose undead (namely in the necropolis), due to her childhood. She worships C.C. because that's what she was taught.
    To me, this describes a cleric adventurer perfectly. Why an inquistor instead?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

First, and most importantly, I'm more personally interested in the inquisitor class than the cleric class. Secondly, I'm intending to play her more on the edgy combat side of things than I interpret the generalist cleric to be involved in. She's MUCH more interested in retribution and the eventual sanctification and sealing of the necropolis than she is in anything else that the church might be a part of.

But honestly, a BIG part of it is that I just don't want to play a cleric. I'm not tremendously familiar with spells in general (this is a huge understatement), and choosing a class that is less spell-centered and more ability-centered than a cleric or wizard seems like a better way to gain some familiarity without feeling like I'm in too deep.

It's kind of an inside joke, how often I try to trade away spells for other abilities, when I make a character, soI'm trying to get over that, without overwhelming myself.

16. - Top - End - #46

First, and most importantly, I'm more personally interested in the inquisitor class than the cleric class. Secondly, I'm intending to play her more on the edgy combat side of things than I interpret the generalist cleric to be involved in. She's MUCH more interested in retribution and the eventual sanctification and sealing of the necropolis than she is in anything else that the church might be a part of.

But honestly, a BIG part of it is that I just don't want to play a cleric. I'm not tremendously familiar with spells in general (this is a huge understatement), and choosing a class that is less spell-centered and more ability-centered than a cleric or wizard seems like a better way to gain some familiarity without feeling like I'm in too deep.

It's kind of an inside joke, how often I try to trade away spells for other abilities, when I make a character, soI'm trying to get over that, without overwhelming myself.
    All right, not going to force your hand of course. Still, I have a bit of cognitive dissonance when reading the description of the inquisitor next to that of Cayden Cailean:

The faithful of Cayden Cailean hold their patron's two loves, freedom and drink, as the pillars of his church. Free to seek their own means of venerating the Drunken Hero, it's not uncommon for followers to take part in events involving one or both of these. The creation and drinking of spirits is often considered a noble and holy, though not formal, pastime. Likewise, the act of fighting for freedom, both that of others and of oneself, is highly respected and honored; both liberators and chevaliers are welcome additions to the Lucky Drunk's faith.

(...)
    Cayden Cailean's clergy is comprised primarily of clerics, though a smattering of druids and bards can also be counted among their number. In the rare instances where any structure exists, the church favors a loose hierarchy. Typically, priests are free to spread the ideals of their faith as they see fit; the priests of the Lucky Drunk are often barkeeps, freedom fighters, or adventurers traveling alone or as part of a group.

(...)
    Cayden Cailean is not known to have taken the time to write a book or manual describing his divine teachings. Instead, he chooses to let his actions before and after attaining divinity serve as an example to his followers.
    Placard of Wisdom
    Consisting of no more than a few lines of text, this writing usually takes the form of a simple wall-hanging that summarizes the traits that should be embraced by the followers of the Drunken Hero
    Grim and determined, the inquisitor roots out enemies of the faith, using trickery and guile when righteousness and purity is not enough. Although inquisitors are dedicated to a deity, they are above many of the normal rules and conventions of the church. They answer to their deity and their own sense of justice alone, and are willing to take extreme measures to meet their goals.

Inquisitors tend to move from place to place, chasing down enemies and researching emerging threats. As a result, they often travel with others, if for no other reason than to mask their presence. Inquisitors work with members of their faith whenever possible, but even such allies are not above suspicion.
    Then there are all the inquisitor abilities dealing with judging people, rooting out traitors, intimidating people, tracking them down, discerning their lies and generally trusting no one. All of that is hard to reconcile with the tenets of the most laid-back god in the entire pantheon.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-26 at 06:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

That's part of why she has the heretic archetype. She's not entirely in-line with C.C.'s antics, though she seems to try to be. She's less laid-back than he is, less prone to wanderlust, and all-in-all, just a bit more serious (at least when it comes to judging the undead).

If you'd rather, I can rework her background somewhat and make her an inquisitor of Abadar instead. That was the original idea, actually. I just felt like incorporating luck bonuses and making her the CC worshipper that never fits in, no matter how hard she tried, (for flavor) would be a really fun and interesting character to play.

18. - Top - End - #48

NecromancerGuy

On second thought, I made a few changes, see above in blue text.
    My votes don't change. I like #2 and #3 best, but would be willing to do any of the four. If the rest of the party likes #1 best, that would be fine too.
    ---------------------

Regarding classes and pre-determined roles: I began actively playing during 3.5 when mixing and matching classes was pretty common. The fluff generally took second place to the mechanics of a given class, so you made sure your PC could do what you wanted them to do and then gave them fluff for the rest.

The high priest of a church could be an expert, with no levels of Cleric at all. Likewise, the inquisitor could be a hardened ex-paladin who fell but did not stop serving their faith. There were (obviously) certain things that couldn't be adjusted (you had to have trapfinding in 3.5 to be the anti-traps guy and only some classes had that), but as for a PC's relationship with their game world, I figured it was exceptionally rare that a PC's class was synonymous with position in society.

Taking the "heretic" archetype would lead to not fitting in the standard church, but being an inquisitor wouldn't necessarily mean that you would fit in with the Spanish Inquisition.

All that said, if you claim to be an arcane caster with no levels in such a class...yeah, you had better be able to explain that well. In the case we are discussing, would Greka being a Battle Oracle be more fitting in your mind, Gwynfrid? And if it would be, John, would you consider that sort of an adjustment?

Just my 2 cp.

19. - Top - End - #49

That's part of why she has the heretic archetype. She's not entirely in-line with C.C.'s antics, though she seems to try to be. She's less laid-back than he is, less prone to wanderlust, and all-in-all, just a bit more serious (at least when it comes to judging the undead).

If you'd rather, I can rework her background somewhat and make her an inquisitor of Abadar instead. That was the original idea, actually. I just felt like incorporating luck bonuses and making her the CC worshipper that never fits in, no matter how hard she tried, (for flavor) would be a really fun and interesting character to play.
    Oh, that's what you meant. Reading your backstory a second time under that angle, I get it a little better. There is this thing about her halfling's friends' death being the reason for her taking a departure from the live and let live approach of her faith.

Again, I'm not here to force anything: So please keep it as it is. We'll see in play how the RP for this pans out.

My votes don't change. I like #2 and #3 best, but would be willing to do any of the four. If the rest of the party likes #1 best, that would be fine too.
    Sure. I designed it in such a way that the four have, in my opinion, roughly balanced pros and cons. #1 is the easiest but will cost you a lot eventually. #2 will be the most expensive if you win big in the field, less so if you only find mediocre treasure. #3 is cheap but will slow you down, and carry risk. #4 is free but inconvenient, and in some cases it could slow you down.

Regarding classes and pre-determined roles: I began actively playing during 3.5 when mixing and matching classes was pretty common. The fluff generally took second place to the mechanics of a given class, so you made sure your PC could do what you wanted them to do and then gave them fluff for the rest.
    Ha, I see. My normal approach is the exact opposite: Think of a character concept in terms of story and personality, and once that's 80% settled, look for the mechanics that fit. The rest is minor adjustments in story as more ideas come up while finding feats and class abilities. I might have mentioned that in a more explicit manner when we were discussing styles. No big deal though.

I'm not saying that your method lacks merit, it's just different. Let's just do things the way you guys are used to.

The high priest of a church could be an expert, with no levels of Cleric at all. Likewise, the inquisitor could be a hardened ex-paladin who fell but did not stop serving their faith. There were (obviously) certain things that couldn't be adjusted (you had to have trapfinding in 3.5 to be the anti-traps guy and only some classes had that), but as for a PC's relationship with their game world, I figured it was exceptionally rare that a PC's class was synonymous with position in society.
    Sure it would work for a paladin-style outlook... Not so much with Cayden Cailean as a patron.

Taking the "heretic" archetype would lead to not fitting in the standard church, but being an inquisitor wouldn't necessarily mean that you would fit in with the Spanish Inquisition.
    Well, it says "heretic" on the can, but in reality it isn't much of a departure from the regular class. The description says:

While all inquisitors hunt the enemies of the faith, sometimes, either through political maneuvering by her enemies or an unyielding tenacity that breaks her faith’s basic tenets, an inquisitor can find herself a heretic. Still unyielding in her cause, these heretics are accustomed to using guile and deception to hide themselves and their activities while they continue to hunt their enemies.

It's still all about hunting people down... More importantly, the archetype's abilities are only modified at the margins. Overall the class is still based on judgment, intimidation, tracking, uncovering lies etc.

All that said, if you claim to be an arcane caster with no levels in such a class...yeah, you had better be able to explain that well. In the case we are discussing, would Greka being a Battle Oracle be more fitting in your mind, Gwynfrid? And if it would be, John, would you consider that sort of an adjustment?
    Yes it would (so would be a combat-oriented cleric who only ever uses spells for buffing before combat, healing after combat, and the odd divination here and there) but I definitely don't want to ask for such a big change. I'm asking questions and maybe it comes out as challenging you guys' ideas. But at the end of the day, this remains the player's call.

tl;dr: I explained my views but at the end of the day I'll take the characters you want to play.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-27 at 07:49 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

@ Farmerbink & DarkOne: Do you think your character sheet is complete from a mechanical perspective? Let me know if it's the right time for me to review.

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGuy

Ha, I see. My normal approach is the exact opposite: Think of a character concept in terms of story and personality, and once that's 80% settled, look for the mechanics that fit. The rest is minor adjustments in story as more ideas come up while finding feats and class abilities. I might have mentioned that in a more explicit manner when we were discussing styles. No big deal though.
    I have always been a gamer who likes to role-play and optimize my PCs. The optimizing coming first is a result of personal motivation - I want to have something to do as much of the game as possible and not pull down my allies ever with my performance. We also play our PC's mechanics rather heavily (at least in combat), while we can role play with no relation to mechanics (outside of social skills, which many groups don't use).

It is always very interesting to see how other players do it. The Fate system (which we have mentioned for its fluff) actually closely ties the fluff and mechanics when used as its own game system. Someday I would like to play it - in the meanwhile it is certainly handy for connecting PCs' backgrounds.

@ Farmerbink & DarkOne: Do you think your character sheet is complete from a mechanical perspective? Let me know if it's the right time for me to review.
    Mechanically I am pretty confident I am good. Please review Vershab Fethi at your leisure.

22. - Top - End - #52

Personally, I tend to give RP priority over mechanical optimization when writing a character, but I recognize the need to have some optimization in order for the character to stand his/her own. Anyway, as long as we agree on no homebrew and no 3rd party content, I don't mind optimization. I think PF keeps within reasonable limits and I have no seen examples of things going crazy within that framework.

On to Vershab Fehti: The sheet looks fine to me. It's interesting that you're making a long-term investment in Cha, which won't pay off until level 5 given your archetype choice, but why not? It's not necessarily optimal but it's in character (I mean, the undead bloodline is in character), so I like it.

Only 3 minor remarks:
    - Unless I read the Arcane Reservoir rule wrong, the fact that you're listing it as 4/4 implies that you have used Consume Spells to fill it up to full capacity.
    - I recommend that you have a space somewhere in the spell list to indicate spells casts in the day; that's for easier tracking, in case a long IRL time and/or many IC pages pass between two fights.
    - I suggest you dump Necril, it won't come up.

By the way: Every character born in the city gets Osiriani as a free bonus language. It's not in the Player's Guide, but I think it should be.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-27 at 11:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sorry for lurking more than posting; I have been unusually busy both at work and at home. My character is (I hope) mechanically complete: Lehasti Gesmeha

While I want to work some with the other members of the party on my character's backstory, I took the Resurrected trait and the plan is as follows: while on a journey with her family (perhaps a pilgrimage to Wati for some reason?), Lehasti became separated from her family and caravan, and succumbed to the ravages of a sandstorm. While her body was found (ironically very near to the road ahead, which made the finding of her body relatively easy for the caravan) and she was pronounced dead, she was miraculously returned to life, describing a vision in which Sarenrae, the Dawnflower, appeared to her. Following the visionary proclamation of a greater purpose, Lehasti sought out a temple of Sarenrae to submit herself to the Dawnflower's service.

Some years later, at the end of her formal training, she has been sent out to the world to proclaim healing and redemption. With the opening of the necropolis in Wati, the opportunity to reclaim and redeem this portion of the great city drew her to the area, where she came into contact with a rather odd group of acquaintances, but in the spirit of Sarenrae, she looks for the good in each of them and seeks to be the social buffer through which to ease their (hopeful) transition from outcasts into unlikely heroes!

Personality-wise, Lehasti is welcoming, forgiving and easygoing, but has an almost brash eagerness for battle in the name of Sarenrae! Her tendency to assume the best in people can lend itself to naivete, and her rush to the fray could be described as almost foolhardy, however.

Thoughts? I want to spend some time working with the other players to work out circumstances in which they might have come to work with each other.

24. - Top - End - #54

Hi JWallyR, I sure understand about RL constraints

About Lehasti: Looks like a pretty good baseline. The resurrection is the defining moment of her life and character. It would do that for me, too

I'll look at the mechanics tonight.

About Vershab Fehti: It took me a while looking up the rules about languages, but I finally got the point: Since Vershab is human, he can pick whatever bonus language he wants; while it would require a trait for him to do so, if he were non-human. So I recommend Ancient Osiriani in place of Necril. In the setting, it serves the same goal, and then some.

25. - Top - End - #55

NecromancerGuy

Only 3 minor remarks:
    - Unless I read the Arcane Reservoir rule wrong, the fact that you're listing it as 4/4 implies that you have used Consume Spells to fill it up to full capacity.
    - I recommend that you have a space somewhere in the spell list to indicate spells casts in the day; that's for easier tracking, in case a long IRL time and/or many IC pages pass between two fights.
    - I suggest you dump Necril, it won't come up.

By the way: Every character born in the city gets Osiriani as a free bonus language. It's not in the Player's Guide, but I think it should be.
    About Vershab Fehti: It took me a while looking up the rules about languages, but I finally got the point: Since Vershab is human, he can pick whatever bonus language he wants; while it would require a trait for him to do so, if he were non-human. So I recommend Ancient Osiriani in place of Necril. In the setting, it serves the same goal, and then some.
    1. That is a good catch - I will correct that.
    2. I was intending to keep track of spells cast like a sorcerer (#of times cast next to the spell listed, when they add up to my daily total I am done). Is that clear enough for you to be cool with it?
    3. I will certainly take Ancient Osiriani in that case. Thanks for the bonus freebie (Osiriani) too!
    ----------

May I suggest something for Lehasti - player and DM should cooperatively write your specific paladin code together. That way there are no disagreements on what would constitute actions within the code, actions that need explanation, and actions that are outside the code (threatening the loss of paladin status).

Ideally I think this sort of thing would be a series of short-ish oaths or precepts that make it clear how a paladin of Sarenrae is expected to handle herself in a variety of morally challenging situations. That way it can serve as a tool for both DM and player to guarantee the PC behavior stays in line with both your expectations.

26. - Top - End - #56

2. I was intending to keep track of spells cast like a sorcerer (#of times cast next to the spell listed, when they add up to my daily total I am done). Is that clear enough for you to be cool with it?
    Yes, that works. You'll need to add the uses of Consume Spells to the list, but that's doable.
    In the same vein, I recommend you have a line somewhere to capture the remaining uses of per-day powers like Arcane Reservoir and Grave Touch.

May I suggest something for Lehasti - player and DM should cooperatively write your specific paladin code together. That way there are no disagreements on what would constitute actions within the code, actions that need explanation, and actions that are outside the code (threatening the loss of paladin status).

Ideally I think this sort of thing would be a series of short-ish oaths or precepts that make it clear how a paladin of Sarenrae is expected to handle herself in a variety of morally challenging situations. That way it can serve as a tool for both DM and player to guarantee the PC behavior stays in line with both your expectations.
    Good idea. JWallyR, does that make sense for you? If so, would you mind draft a first version?
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-27 at 02:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Good idea. JWallyR, does that make sense for you? If so, would you mind draft a first version?
    If I wasn't such a detail-oriented person, I would probably be MORE interested in working on that, because in my mind, I am going to have to write a pretty comprehensive legalistic rant. Blech. But I will try to start from the general and see if/when you feel like I've covered the necessary bases thoroughly enough. :P

28. - Top - End - #58

NecromancerGuy

Yes, that works. You'll need to add the uses of Consume Spells to the list, but that's doable.
    In the same vein, I recommend you have a line somewhere to capture the remaining uses of per-day powers like Arcane Reservoir and Grave Touch.
    Good call on those other daily uses, especially consume spells. Let me look at the sheet layout and determine where I will track them. Do you need me to include those details on character status spoilers during combat?

I am glad you both like the idea of a code. As far as details, I would avoid going so far as using the Uniform Code of Military Justice as a model (legalistic system of regulations) and aim towards a creed instead. For example, the code I am using in another game is:

Spoiler: Pharasmic Paladin Oath(s)
    Show
    I will take great joy in life, from the waters of birth through the many cycles of the years. As I celebrate I will guard and defend children, for they have just begun their lives. While we age together I will stand beside families and aid them in their struggles. My duty shall be to fight till my last breath to provide the aged comfort and peace in their final days.

Just as the rain falls to the earth and the stream flows to the sea, so too must all things pass away. Pharasma spins and guides the threads of fate; when she wills it I shall read it in the stars and bring her judgement. None may escape their final destination, nor their designated time. I shall have faith in her guidance.

When the hourglass has run its course I shall bring death as peacefully as I am able. Those who accept their final rest shall find comfort with me. I will honor the body that housed their soul, protect it from defilement, and allow it to return to the cycle of waters to be reborn anew as appointed by fate. I will defend the soul that the whippoorwill may guide it to my lady's spire. With grace, someday I will follow.

Cheating the cycle of life and death is the most heinous crime of all. Nothing will stop me from sending the unresting dead to Pharasma's spire, there to be judged as we all must be. Only when the waters wash clean all trace of such corruption will I be satisfied.

This was more poetic and flowery than a strict code, which made sense for the deity in question, IMO. I made it a point to consider her areas of influence, noting unusual items like her power over the domain of Water and involving it as best I could.

Sarenrae, as a neutral good deity, shouldn't be too strict either, if you ask me. Check out her domains and see what inspires you.

29. - Top - End - #59

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    If I wasn't such a detail-oriented person, I would probably be MORE interested in working on that, because in my mind, I am going to have to write a pretty comprehensive legalistic rant. Blech. But I will try to start from the general and see if/when you feel like I've covered the necessary bases thoroughly enough. :P
    Hopefully it will never come to this, but use this suggestion as a fail safe or tool to defend your PC's actions should a concern on your paladin status every arise. The more comprehensive and legalistic the less useful it is, IMO. You want a way to defend the spirit of your PC's actions, not handcuffs for them.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    I side with DarkOne on this. No legalese, but a short, inspirational text, even poetic, please... I also agree that Sarenrae isn't a rigid-minded deity, so her code should reflect that. Here's from the Sarenrae entry in the Golarion Wiki:
    Known to her faithful as the Dawnflower, the Healing Flame, and the Everlight, Sarenrae (pronounced SAER-en-ray) teaches temperance and patience in all things. Compassion and peace are her greatest virtues, and if enemies of the faith can be redeemed, they should be. Yet there are those who have no interest in redemption, who glory in slaughter and death. From the remorseless evil of the undead and fiends to the cruelties born in the hearts of mortals, Sarenrae's doctrines preach swift justice delivered by the scimitar's edge. To this end, she expects her faithful to be skilled at swordplay, both as a form of martial art promoting centering of mind and body, and so that when they do enter battle, their foes do not suffer any longer than necessary.

Good call on those other daily uses, especially consume spells. Let me look at the sheet layout and determine where I will track them. Do you need me to include those details on character status spoilers during combat?
    Yes. I tend to copy that information from the spoilers into the sheet for my own characters, because sometimes the games I play in can go into extended lull.
    But for us, if we maintain a fast enough pace, then keeping this up to date in the character sheet may not be necessary.