New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mummy's Mask OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Yes. I tend to copy that information from the spoilers into the sheet for my own characters, because sometimes the games I play in can go into extended lull.
    But for us, if we maintain a fast enough pace, then keeping this up to date in the character sheet may not be necessary.
    K, that just directs me somewhat where in the sheet I should place that info - since spells aren't in that blurb provide by the Mythweavers sheet but status effects are, I will place them in that box.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, just checking in. I think, with the notable exception of general adventuring gear, that Grekka Cailean is ready for inspection. I am unlikely to come up with 49 pounds worth of other stuff or more than 15g, so I'm not too worried about hashing that out- just need free time to do it.

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Hey, just checking in. I think, with the notable exception of general adventuring gear, that Grekka Cailean is ready for inspection. I am unlikely to come up with 49 pounds worth of other stuff or more than 15g, so I'm not too worried about hashing that out- just need free time to do it.
    Looks good overall. Few remarks:
    - Your speed, lady traveller, I think should be 30, not 20...
    - Please note your bonus from sacred tatoo is a luck bonus; so we don't forget it doesn't stack with effects like Prayer.
    - It's "Necropolis Native", not "Wati Native".
    - Max Dex bonus on hide armor is +4.
    - You sure you don't want a ranged weapon?
    - I'd prefer you to not use non-standard acronyms, such as "FC".
    - Your CMD should be 16.
    - Your armor check penalty should apply to a bunch of skills.
    - Please list your equipment; indeed I'm not too worried about exceeding light load, and even if you did, you use medium armor anyway.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Sorry for lurking more than posting; I have been unusually busy both at work and at home. My character is (I hope) mechanically complete: Lehasti Gesmeha
    I like her. Remarks:
    - It is not mandatory, but still customary to calculate the bonuses, ie for falchion, damage = 2d4+6.
    - Please list your traits under "feats and special abilities"; there's a box for traits at the bottom but it's just for the fluff.
    - You have only 1 trait, so one is missing. I take it you aren't interested in drawbacks, no problem.
    - I think your AC and CMD should both be 16 including Dex.
    - Please list the number per-day for abilities (used/total) like Smite Evil.
    - I didn't check the weight or the expended equipment budget. You didn't go crazy so it should be ok.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I haven't been calculating damage numbers due to the volatility that always seems to be going on. I don't *always* want to power attack, so that's one variable that changes.
    I'll add the traits there... that's actually where I have put most of them in the past, but some of our players in other games have borrowed that "Traits" box, so I figured, why not?
    I hadn't decided on a second trait, thanks for the reminder.
    For some reason the dex bonus to AC and CMD wasn't taking, but after reentering that value the sheet seems to have fixed itself.
    I have the times per day for Smite Evil listed in the spells area... but I'll add it onto the listing in the Feats and Special Abilities area.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

- Your speed, lady traveller, I think should be 30, not 20...
    Does hide armor not restrict movement as per medium armor?

The rest has been covered, and I switched out the dirty fighter trait for reckless. I'll probably take "additional traits" later, and retake dirty fighter. There are plenty of other traits that I want pretty badly. Gotta have that acrobatics to be a semi-nimble melee character, though.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Does hide armor not restrict movement as per medium armor?
    Yes, but your base speed is 40, so with the armor on, it's 30.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-01-29 at 08:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but your base speed is 40, so with the armor on, it's 30.
    SEEEEEXXXXXXXY. I missed that part. Hell, I already thought the travel domain was awesome. O_o

9. - Top - End - #69

Glad you like it

In new news: I just uploaded a map of Wati, visible in the OP for your viewing pleasure.

@JWallyJ: Not to nitpick, but I like all the the character features in one place if possible: definitely include traits at the top please, especially as you guys seem to be very fond of having many of these...
    Also, I like using the spells area for the per-day power counters, but I hadn't noticed here, all hidden at the very bottom. That works.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warning: the following is very much stream of conscious. Please comment, correct, advise, negate, or otherwise butcher at your leisure

Now that my massive amount of work is behind me, I'm now starting to try to catch back up in my games. As far as this game is concerned, I've decided on an elf alchemist named Calathon Amradi (Please, call me Cal). He's a bit of a savant at whatever he attempts (high Int) but due to an unfortunate incident, he's a terribly burned alchemist and as a result has a love/hate relationship with his alchemy and specifically fire.

I've taken the "Burned" drawback to explain his horrific scarring. He has a healthy fear of fire, stemming from an accident that left his face, right arm, both hands, neck, and right side of his torso burned wickedly. He will, as a result, be constantly offering to make sunrods for the group, as he would rather have no torches anywhere near him.

But, in a twist of fate, because of his constant exposure to fire from his experimentation and learning the finer points of alchemy, he's developed a physical tolerance for fire as well, resulting in fire resistance 5 in terms of game mechanics. (This was received as a result of the alternate elven racial trait. I just refluffed it to be explained by his alchemy versus the region in which he grew up) So while he really doesn't take that much damage from fire anymore, most of his concerns are mental in nature.

Also, as a result of his somewhat obsessive behavior with alchemy, he has "taste-tested" too many liquids (before learning safer methods) that turned out to be acidic, and so the tip of his tongue and lips have largely burned away or scarred over, so he speaks with an unintentional lisp. Couple that with his appearance, he has a hard time getting people to talk to him for a long period of time or to look him in the eyes.

Despite his low Charisma, I envision him as being fairly personable, if not a little excitable about some of the more scholastic pursuits (history, alchemy, archaeology, etc) but he has a hard time carrying a long conversation with folks simply because he's not used to people being willing to converse for a long time with him.

Since he's considerably older than everyone else in the group, my thoughts are that he served as an "advisor" to Vershab's (Rob's character) parents in terms of Osiriani history. History is his other passion. He's fascinated with Osirion's tombs and artifacts and the ancient pharoahs and civilization of old. I envision him being an amateur archaelogist, and uses his alchemy to preserve history scrolls and texts, clean artifacts, reveal hidden writing, and any number of other similar needs. So, to complete the picture, Vershab grew up with Cal around and in the last few months of their lives, Vershab's parents made Cal his godfather or something along those lines. (Rob and I had talked about this in chat...you might have seen it)

Gwynfrid, if there's a museum that he could work for, or the government as a minor historian or an alchemist's guild that he serves as an assistant curator of historical goods or something along those lines, that'd be awesome. I'm thinking that Cal was born in the Mwangi jungles to the southwest, and in his formative years (ages 1 - 40ish) he learned to use the standard elven weapons, but Kelesh slavers captured him and his parents. He got separated from them early on, and learned to adapt (as savants do) and realized that all he needed to do was bide his time for his owners to simply perish...which they did. Kelesh law provided for his freedom at that point. He hasn't seen his parents since and there's a latent desire to follow up on that...at some point. His former owner had business dealings with an alchemist, of which he'd heard a lot of their conversations. Upon his freedom, he offered that business contact his service as an apprentice or employee.

Turns out that the businessman/alchemist, Malakeh Amradi, was an Osiriani merchant. Cal ended up traveling to Sothis to study with Malakeh at around the age of 80ish. It was during that time that he developed his love of Osiriani history as well as finding his niche as an alchemist. I have in my mind that whatever accident that caused him to get burned also resulted in the death of one or more people, which caused his relocation to Wati to make a new living at around 110 years old. He would hire himself out as a sage or researcher, and a few years later an adventurer that hired him was Vershab's father. Continued hiring and a shared love of history ensured their eventual closeness and friendship, and when baby Vershab came into the picture, Cal would occasionally babysit or go on minor excursions into archaeological sites with them.

Now, at the age of 143 he is Vershab's godfather and mourning the loss of not only his own parents but also Vershab's, but also has a respectable job as [insert Gwynfrid's suggestion of employer and profession]. But when Vershab heard about the city's contest and excitably contacted some of his friends (whom Cal had encountered from time to time), Cal was delighted at the opportunity.

So...thoughts? :) I'll have a sheet available soon. It's partially finished but it's well past my bedtime and I need sleep.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

11. - Top - End - #71

Very nice, I like your ideas for a flavourful alchemist. Also, the concept for tying your character with Vershab is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    Since he's considerably older than everyone else in the group, my thoughts are that he served as an "advisor" to Vershab's (Rob's character) parents in terms of Osiriani history. History is his other passion. He's fascinated with Osirion's tombs and artifacts and the ancient pharoahs and civilization of old. I envision him being an amateur archaelogist, and uses his alchemy to preserve history scrolls and texts, clean artifacts, reveal hidden writing, and any number of other similar needs.
    Sure thing. His employer for this kind of expertise is Minnothet, the owner of the Canny Jackal, a prestigious art gallery and auction house located in the Sunburst Market area. She's the expert for appraising the authenticity of antiquities, but certainly can use somebody like Cal to ensure items are correctly preserved or, if necessary, restored. Also, proper cleaning and presentation is important, as the Canny Jackal is a business that caters to people with refined tastes and significant means.

Cal might also work for the Hall of Blessed Rebirth, but their interest is more centered towards the dead themselves, rather than their wordly goods, so I think the Canny Jackal is more up his alley. That said, there is no exclusivity: He can also be a member of the embalmer's guild if you want to, as nearly all of Wati's alchemists are.

12. - Top - End - #72

Working for Minnothet is perfect. What race is she, how old(ish), and what's her general demeanor? And would she have any issues with Cal trotting off to raid tombs? (I'm assuming not)

Thanks!
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

13. - Top - End - #73

Working for Minnothet is perfect. What race is she, how old(ish), and what's her general demeanor? And would she have any issues with Cal trotting off to raid tombs? (I'm assuming not)

Thanks!
    Minnothet is human, native of Wati, in her sixties. She's a small, rather frail woman, with a kind heart, but also a shrewd mind and an ability to ingratiate herself to wealthy customers. She's also a respected Osirionologist with a true passion for new findings and mysterious, ancient objects. She has no issues letting Cal go on exploration, simply asking to have first look at whatever he finds. Cal knows her excitement is for the prospect of discovery, even more than for the potential business that might be attached to it.

14. - Top - End - #74

NecromancerGuy

Vershab Fethi

High Concept (the character's role-playing concept summed up in a short phrase)
    Brilliant and Unorthodox Necromantic Genius

Vershab is a true arcane prodigy, with such a natural penchant towards the undead and necromantic arts that it was inevitable that he would become an expert. Nothing absorbs his attention as much, and few can understand his attraction to this dark art. However, he has never been drawn to the evil that so often consumes the practitioners of such magic, perhaps because of his childlike wonder at its marvels - he simply never saw it as a path to power.

Trouble (how the DM can torture this character that I, as a player, will enjoy)
    Utterly Socially Crippled

On the opposite side of his magic lies the rest of the mortal world. For every bit of his genius in the affairs of magic and the living dead, he does not understand the living one iota. Growing up he was always the target of bullies and teasing, even when he didn't realize it, and his few confidants are largely the result of the efforts of his loving parents. Continually bewildered and never understanding people, he has learned to keep to himself and be very cautious, rarely speaking to strangers and even less frequently making eye contact. The fact that these behaviors make things worse has never occurred to him.

From where do I come?
    Touched by Death

Even as a child there was an odd miasma about this young man. People would get chills as he walked by, the smell of musty earth (or worse) would occasionally assault those near him, and his pale skin was unlike the other inhabitants of Wati. Traveling the Inner Sea area didn't often help things, as mysterious (and frightening) signs of death or decay seemed to happen when he arrived in a place. Though nothing happened so bad as to attract the attention of authority, people just seemed to know that he had less in common with them and more in common with the dead. And he seemed to agree, most of the time.

What inspired me to be an adventurer?
    Following in his Parent's Footsteps

Vershab's parents were very loving and devoted to him. When his mother discovered she was pregnant with him they stopped adventuring and tried to settle down, but their stories and trophies always fascinated him (especially of their many expeditions to tombs and burial chambers in Osirion). His parents encouraged his curiosity and held nothing back from their only son, guaranteeing him excellent tutors and all the guidance they could. When they died supporting other adventurers for the Pathfinders Society, Vershab vowed to become a great adventurer too, one day. His adoration of his parents was one of the only human elements he demonstrated, and mimicking his heroic parents was as natural as could be.

My First Adventure (the "hook" which I want other PCs to help me complicate/resolve)
    "Smear the Mummy-Lover!" (Story Title)
    Never Understands the Haters

One day while walking to his studies at the Hall of Blessed Rebirth Vershab found himself hemmed into a side street by a pack of bullies led by a hulking thug. His nose in one of his texts he didn't even notice his danger until one of them knocked it out of his hands and got directly in his face, eliciting a frightened yelp and a reactionary slap from the thin young man. Instinctively reacting to his fear, he seemed to conjure some base magical effect (Grave Touch), which left his attacker shaken and the others enraged! "Um, help? I think?" he cried in confusion towards the crowded street, not knowing how to defend himself or react without using his magic against the ruffians...

Guest Starring #1 in Lehasti's story (My effort to complicate another PC's First Adventure)
    Been the Victim Before

Right before Lehasti enters the alley an unusually pale man says a little too loudly, "They tried to pull this trick on me last week - if you go in that alley they are likely to jump you." The man is dressed in a large, heavy robe with the hood covering much of his head and he seems to be deliberately looking past everyone and not making eye contact with anyone. "You could probably handle a few of them, but at best you will walk away with some injuries. They aren't nice people and have no interest in exploring the tombs..." as he is speaking one of the nearby crowd steps forward and gets in his face, which immediately makes him lurch awkwardly back in discomfort. "Shut your damned mouth, you creep! Just because you could freak your way out of there last week doesn't mean you will get out this time!" the con-man yells, pushing the smaller man towards the alley roughly causing him and Lehasti to bump into each other. "Besides, we have more people this time - you won't get away so easily, even with two of you!"

Guest Starring #2 (My effort to resolve another PC's First Adventure)
    Calm in the Face of...being Oblivious to the Danger

As Vershab was walking to meet his godfather, Cal, for lunch he hears a massive commotion coming from a nearby construction area. Turning to observe the locals he sees the fire, his godfather, and his new compatriot Grekka in the midst of the developing inferno. He takes several moments to calmly observe the area before seeing an option to save the remaining workers without placing anyone else at risk.

Quietly he walks over to a rope/pulley system and releases it, causing a lift to raise to the level of the men on the platform trapped above the flame. He watches as they scramble onto it and the balance of weight shifts, lowering them past the growing flames onto the ground. As the flames consume the now empty platform he walks over to Cal and Grekka and says, "I am not an expert on construction, but they usually have some safety precautions in place for this kind of thing. You just have to know where to look. Who wants lunch?"

15. - Top - End - #75

That's a nice story. Nice format, too.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

High Concept:
    Abrasive Divine Devestator

Grekka has always been... big. For her age, for a girl, and now as an adult half-orc; her shoulders are as broad as she is tall. She has never made friends easily, well, or quickly, but has never tired of trying. She continues to go out of her way to both meet new people and attempt to impress them. It seems, however, that perhaps she tries too hard. She often comes off as overbearing and difficult to stomach, to say the least.

Trouble:
    Unlikeable, Unlikely Hero

Grekka is... unpleasant to be around. Her sense of humor fails to amuse, and most often offends. She doesn't intend to turn people off, she just never really learned how to interact in society. As an orphan, she was valued by the other children for strength and skill: her "team" would win competitive games much more often than half the time. As an adult, she hasn't ever learned how to translate that usefulness into more social pursuits, and is often viewed almost as an outcast, now despite her strength and skill.

Where do you come from?
    Peculiar Partnership

Grekka was born in the insula mater. She never knew her mother, who abandoned her in Wati (she could still be around, and I just don't know, or left Wati when she could). Life was hard as a half-orc orphan in an unfriendly environment. She might not have survived but for the compassion of the matrons and an unlikely partner-in-crime, a halfling boy named Hopton. After several years of companionship and mutual support, the two were inseparable. When the boy died in an ill-fated "adventure" to the necropolis, Grekka became depressed and increasingly difficult to deal with. Just a few weeks later, the first of many "lucky" occurrences took place:

Why are you an adventurer?
    School of Hard Knocks

Just after Hopton's death, the man who would become Grekka's mentor wandered into Wati. Andres Shickle, an experienced adventurer, often wowed the locals with his tales of reckless adventure and daring escapades. As the days passed, Grekka would often sneak into the taverns to hear him talk and see his face light up as he described his most recent exploits. When the time came, and Andres wanted to move on, Grekka approached him, and asked to be his pupil. He agreed, and she journeyed with him for several years, learning all he could teach, including how to give due praise to Cayden Cailean, and earn his favor. The apprenticeship was not easy work, she often toiled in the sun for many hours, not understanding the task. The work further hardened her, however; she became steadfast, indeed, in the intervening years.

After an unhappy parting, back in Wati, some 8 years later, Grekka swore that she would remember the halfing boy, long forgotten by the people of Wati. Hopton would be avenged, and the necropolis emptied, or Grekka would kill herself trying.

The hook (brings you BAAAaaaaAAAAACK)
    Committed No Crime

Spoiler: Hook:
    Show
    One evening, Grekka was walking through the marketplace as the vendors were putting away their stalls for the night. A pair of young boys bumped into her roughly, before scrambling onward past her. Stupid kids! I'da been flayed for that, when I was a child! she grumbled to herself as she resumed walking. Before she had taken two paces, she was confronted by a vendor, who appeared to be chasing after the boys. Stop! You are a thief! I will not let you steal my prized amulet!! Grekka pointed the man to the two thieves, scampering around a corner. There are your thieves! Leave me be, crazy man! she said. No! It was you! I saw you, and I call you a liar and a thief! He insisted.

Knowing the weight of the claim, Grekka turned to face her accuser. Calling to another nearby man, she said, You there! Come give witness to this man's accusation! The man nodded, and approached as requested. Grekka began going through her pockets, starting with the two hidden in her coat. As they were emptied onto the table, finally she reached her belt pouch. You see, old man?! Your accusations are baseless, and you are a liar! As she opens the pouch at her belt, no one is more surprised than she when she pulls out a gem-encrusted amulet. Shock plastered across her features, she throws the amulet at her accuser. You! You fraud! That amulet was planted on me! She looks around, pleading for intercession from one of the many sure witnesses. Come now! You all saw what this man's ruffians did! I will not stand for this!

Her accuser, a wicked gleam in his eye, raises his voice. Guards! Arrest this woman! She is a thief and a liar! As the nearby guards dutifully move forward to oblige, the witnesses remain silent. Grekka looks about in disbelief. But.. but they...

Complication:

Resolution:

17. - Top - End - #77

Good stuff... We're getting there.

@ Farmerbink: That's an interesting hook. I take it the outcome is open? Or do you mean to write it later?

@ All: When you're done, please edit your first post on page 1, to add all the settled details of your character, including the above stories. This is for easy reference later on. I intend to connect certain events to your backstories as best I can. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

@ Farmerbink: That's an interesting hook. I take it the outcome is open? Or do you mean to write it later?
    That's part of the beauty of this system. I have an idea how the hook could resolve, but ultimately, it's now out of my hands. One of the other three party members will "intervene" and complicate the scenario- NOT solve it. And then one of the remaining two (in my head, the paladin is our best choice here) steps in and resolves the issue. The other two people, however, write that part of the story. If they want my input, they can of course ask, but it's their story to finish now, just as Vershab's story is now ours to finish.

19. - Top - End - #79

Ah, I get it. Very neat concept.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti Gesmeha

Fiery Redeemer of Sarenrae!

Lehasti is an impetuous young woman whose eyes are lit with a zest for life! While not overbearing or aggressive, she is vocal about the tenets of Sarenrae, and quick both to forgive and to forcibly "redeem" those who make their unrepentant wickedness known. Quick to laugh and quicker still to throw herself into harm's way to protect the innocent (or just to prove her fervor), she seeks to live out the Dawnflower's radiant glory among the people!

Trusting and Reckless

As with all paladins, Lehasti is motivated by a number of convictions; among them that her life is not her own, but is a sacred trust with which she is endowed to work for the good of others. Her comparative disregard for her personal safety is further fueled by the formative experience that drove her into the church of Sarenrae, and while not precisely foolhardy, she is more aggressive in the pursuit of evil than many would deem prudent. In addition, the personal experience of her miraculous resurrection has made so personal her relationship with her deity that she finds it almost impossible to conceive that others might not be so grounded in the truth as to be lying...

From where do I come?
    On the Road Again

As a child, Lehasti was not particularly remarkable. While good-natured, strong and sturdy, her personality was tempered by the realities of life as the child of a merchant family; always on the road, moving from city to city following the winds of trade. While not rich, her family was certainly not poor; while not subject to the rabid anti-religiosity of the Rahadoumites, neither were they particularly religious. As she grew into her teenage years, Lehasti was introduced to the ways of arbitrage and dealing, but she yearned for an existence above and beyond the mundanities of trade and travel, travel and trade.

Glorious Purpose

Several days' travel out of the city, the family caravan was passing through the desert. Spotting signs of water nearby, Lehasti shouted out to her parents, and before they could warn her of the first signs of an impending sandstorm she had taken off at the excuse to ride a little harder and feel the wind blowing her hair. Suddenly the storm was upon her, and although she tried to locate her family, her horse lost its footing and tumbled, and off it went into the wilds. Unknowing that she had managed to reach the path mere hundreds of feet ahead of the circled wagons of her family, she pushed on until at last strength had left her.
    Just before dawn when the storm had passed, her family broke camp and made to search for her, and the first runner returned almost before the echoes of his hoofbeats had died with Lehasti's motionless form strapped to his horse. The sudden wails of her parents split the morning stillness, and as her mother clutched her daughter to her breast, the sun crested over the dunes. The morn's first light seemed to fall heavily upon them, and a sudden wave of wind (lacking the gritty teeth of the night before) blew Lehasti's long hair around the two women, and breath returned to her! Claiming to have seen visions of a bronze-skinned woman caressing and somehow healing her sand-scarred skin with her fiery hair, Lehasti would not rest until they reached a temple of Sarenrae, where she pledged herself to be a living emblem of the glory of the Dawnflower.

My First Adventure (the "hook" to which I want other PCs to help me complicate/resolve)
    New Kid in Town (Story Title)

Fresh from her training, news reached Lehasti of the opening of the tombs of Wati. Seeing this as a perfect opportunity to glorify Sarenrae in bringing life back to the parts of the city relinquished to the grasp of death, she left on the first caravan out, arriving in the city with her arms and her good name, and little else. While no stranger to the sights and sounds of commercial districts, the freedom to wander the roads seized her attention, and she found herself walking along a canal in the Veins. As she turned a corner, she came upon a man shouting, Adventurer wanted to explore the tombs! Well-armed and strong! Having not considered the need for a party, Lehasti rushed to the man, eagerly giving voice to her zeal! Right this way, young woman! I'm sure we can use your... skills! Unfortunately, she didn't see the wicked grin that split the man's face as he turned away to lead her down to an unremarkable side alley...

Guest Starring #1 (My effort to complicate another PC's First Adventure)
    Reserved

Reserved
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2015-02-11 at 01:38 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

21. - Top - End - #81

Calathon "Cal" Amradi's sheet posted here!

It has his background, personality, and all the fluff as well as the crunch listed there. I'll get the High Concept, Trouble, etc filled in tomorrow. I'm running out of energy now. Until then, let me know what you think. Thanks!
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

22. - Top - End - #82

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    My First Adventure (the "hook" to which I want other PCs to help me complicate/resolve)
    New Kid in Town (Story Title)

Fresh from her training, news reached Lehasti of the opening of the tombs of Wati. Seeing this as a perfect opportunity to glorify Sarenrae in bringing life back to the parts of the city relinquished to the grasp of death, she left on the first caravan out, arriving in the city with her arms and her good name, and little else. While no stranger to the sights and sounds of commercial districts, the freedom to wander the roads seized her attention, and she found herself walking along a canal in the Veins. As she turned a corner, she came upon a man shouting, Adventurer wanted to explore the tombs! Well-armed and strong! Having not considered the need for a party, Lehasti rushed to the man, eagerly giving voice to her zeal! Right this way, young woman! I'm sure we can use your... skills! Unfortunately, she didn't see the wicked grin that split the man's face as he turned away to lead her down to an unremarkable side alley...
    Been the Victim Before

Right before Lehasti enters the alley an unusually pale man says a little too loudly, "They tried to pull this trick on me last week - if you go in that alley they are likely to jump you." The man is dressed in a large, heavy robe with the hood covering much of his head and he seems to be deliberately looking past everyone and not making eye contact with anyone. "You could probably handle a few of them, but at best you will walk away with some injuries. They aren't nice people and have no interest in exploring the tombs..." as he is speaking one of the nearby crowd steps forward and gets in his face, which immediately makes him lurch awkwardly back in discomfort. "Shut your damned mouth, you creep! Just because you could freak your way out of there last week doesn't mean you will get out this time!" the con-man yells, pushing the smaller man towards the alley roughly causing him and Lehasti to bump into each other. "Besides, we have more people this time - you won't get away so easily, even with two of you!"

Calathon "Cal" Amradi's sheet posted here!
    It looks solid to me. I didn't check any of the math, but the concept works and the fluff looks entertaining!

23. - Top - End - #83

Cal looks great. Remarks on the mechanics part:
    - Longsword crit range is 19-20.
    - Your CMD is 15.
    - You didn't indicate your favored class bonus. Looks like it's 1 skill point, right?

I like this new sheet format on Mythweaver by the way, it looks better than the old one.

On the background part, what's there is nice, I liked that you introduced a additional NPC. But I think it isn't complete; it's more bits and pieces. I'd like an overall story. The high concept / trouble / where do I come from format will serve you fine to complete that portion.

So, provided we can have all of the complication / resolution pieces together, I'll be ready to kick off at some point tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #84

I've clarified Calathon's background. It's all spelled out in the "Other Notes" section of the character sheet. Check it out. :) Let me know if you have any questions or comments. It gives a better explanation of the "Enemies" notes.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

25. - Top - End - #85

Gifted but Troubled Alchemist

Calathon Amradi, often abbreviated as Cal, is fascinated by history and alchemy, though has a healthy respect and fear of the latter. If you're not careful, he will talk your ear off about either subject. He's a friendly sort, but his heavily scarred appearance often turns people off rather quickly. He's a creature of habit and follows routines as much as possible.

Scarred in Many Ways

As a result of being brought up a slave and being rather well-treated, he has a surprisingly lackadaisical view of slavery. Due to a chemical accident, he's greatly scarred all over the right side of his body, and is afraid of fire, whether magical, alchemical or mundane. The accident killed his "brother's" family and he holds a great shame over this.

From where do I come?
    Roots Have Never Grown Deep

He was born in the Mwangi Expanse. As a child, Calathon was taken as a slave by Kelesh slavers. After his period as a slave and thus gaining his freedom in Katapesh some 30 years later, he relocated to Sothis, Osirion to begin his life as an alchemist's assistant. After an accident resulting in his scars and several deaths, he relocated once again to Wati. There, he met Vershab's parents and got a job as an artifact restoration specialist at the Canny Jackal.

Intense Curiosity

Calathon is a brilliant man with an exceptionally analytic mind. He enjoys losing himself in historic studies, poring over ancient tomes and artifacts, and toying around with the volatile but fascinating world of chemicals (largely to perfect the means to preserve artifacts of old). Having worked for the Canny Jackal for many years, he has had the opportunity to visit a few tombs and historic sites, which has consistently reinvigorated his curiosity of what else is waiting and hidden in the sands. When the city announced the opening of certain sites in the Half Dead City, he could barely contain his enthusiasm. Being the godfather of a boy that is the son of adventurers and having heard their tales also helps.

Help! (Story Title)

Cal was strolling through the bustling streets of Midwife, enjoying a rare day off and visiting one of his favorite areas of the city due to the many remnants of the golden age of Osirion. He walked by a monument that had a series of scaffolds set up with some workers busy cleaning the surfaces of the ancient monolith. A voice from above broke him out of his reverie. "Hey, you there. Can you hand me one of those planks?" the laborer pointed to a stack of vertically arranged wooden planks that were to be used in the scaffold as they went ever higher up the monument. "Sure. One moment, sir," Cal happily replied and moved over to the pile.

As he picked up one of the planks and was about to lift it, another of the workers came around the corner and threw a tindertwig into a vat of pitch next to him. The flames shot up as expected and the worker started throwing trash into it. Meanwhile, Cal stumbled backwards with the plank in hand, eyes wide with fear as he backed against the stack of planks which toppled over, knocking the vat of pitch over. Cal half-stood, half-cringed and was entirely frozen as the flames and pitch dumped onto the planks. The workers were yelling at Cal, but he did not hear them - he just stood there, paralyzed by fear.

Reserved

Reserved
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2015-02-14 at 01:05 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid
    This table shows who has the highest score in any given information-gathering skill. <snip>
    The entry for Perception shows +7 as the highest, which is incorrect. Cal has a +8. Otherwise, near as I can tell, it's correct. (sorry about the multiple posts in a row!)
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

27. - Top - End - #87

I've clarified Calathon's background. It's all spelled out in the "Other Notes" section of the character sheet. Check it out. :) Let me know if you have any questions or comments. It gives a better explanation of the "Enemies" notes.
    Excellent. I especially like how you have tied his drawback to his personality and his history. Great RP potential there.

One thing you may want to add is a timeline. His story extends to a really long time. Malakeh might well be dead by now, for example. Unless he's a long-lived race too?

28. - Top - End - #88

The entry for Perception shows +7 as the highest, which is incorrect. Cal has a +8. Otherwise, near as I can tell, it's correct. (sorry about the multiple posts in a row!)
    Now fixed.

29. - Top - End - #89

Excellent. I especially like how you have tied his drawback to his personality and his history. Great RP potential there.
    Thanks! Glad you liked it.

One thing you may want to add is a timeline. His story extends to a really long time. Malakeh might well be dead by now, for example. Unless he's a long-lived race too?
    Hmm, fair point. I'll start drawing something up shortly. Maybe Malakeh can be a half elf? Hmm...will think on that a bit...
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Cal's Hook
    Show
    Help! (Story Title)

Cal was strolling through the bustling streets of Midwife, enjoying a rare day off and visiting one of his favorite areas of the city due to the many remnants of the golden age of Osirion. He walked by a monument that had a series of scaffolds set up with some workers busy cleaning the surfaces of the ancient monolith. A voice from above broke him out of his reverie. "Hey, you there. Can you hand me one of those planks?" the laborer pointed to a stack of vertically arranged wooden planks that were to be used in the scaffold as they went ever higher up the monument. "Sure. One moment, sir," Cal happily replied and moved over to the pile.

As he picked up one of the planks and was about to lift it, another of the workers came around the corner and threw a tindertwig into a vat of pitch next to him. The flames shot up as expected and the worker started throwing trash into it. Meanwhile, Cal stumbled backwards with the plank in hand, eyes wide with fear as he backed against the stack of planks which toppled over, knocking the vat of pitch over. Cal half-stood, half-cringed and was entirely frozen as the flames and pitch dumped onto the planks. The workers were yelling at Cal, but he did not hear them - he just stood there, paralyzed by fear.
    Win Some, Lose Some

Grekka was returning from a meeting with the clergy of Pharasma- trying again to present herself to aid in the efforts to restore the necropolis when she heard the shouts of workers nearby. Frustrated, but not urgently needed elsewhere, she trotted towards the sound. Through the flames, she saw a man, paralyzed in shock and consumed in the flames and dashed to his side. As she got closer, it became apparent that he was not currently burning, but had certainly been burned before. She slapped him across the face twice to get his focus off the flames and kick-start his brain. Snap out of it, man! You're only going to get hurt, if you can't help! Shoving him towards the safety of the scaffolding- somewhat removed from the flaming pitch, she turned her attention to the scene before her.

The pitch splashed across the sand, drenching the now-scattered pile of timber. Elevated and aerated, the planks were consumed at a prodigious rate. From the side of the pile nearest the scaffolding, Grekka threw handfuls of sand onto the boards to smother the ever-spreading flames. Little by little, she began got the blaze under control, and succeeded at keeping it away from the scaffolding. She looked up from her work, briefly and beheld a troublesome sight.

To her dismay, it was only then that she noticed the man, still transfixed with fear. The plank he held, as he faced her and the bulk of the blaze, had been splashed with pitch before she moved him away. Now held haphazardly in the same position, he had unintentionally placed it just under the lowest board of the scaffolding. As the scaffolds began to smolder and catch on their own right, she looked up in dismay. 8 workers stood above, now trapped between the flames and the sky.