Arcane Breastplate
    Abjuration [Force]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Componants: V, S, F
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 min./level

You speak a few words and tap your finger to a metal plate as invisible armor covers your body.

An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject of a arcane armor spell, providing a +4 armor bonus to AC.

Unlike mundane armor, arcane breastplate entails no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. Since arcane breastplate is made of force, incorporeal creatures can’t bypass it the way they do normal armor.

Focus: A small metal plate

Arcane Breastplate, Greater
    Abjuration [Force]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3

This spell functions just like the arcane breastplate spell, except it provides a +6 armor bonus to AC instead of +4.

Shield, Greater
    Abjuration [Force]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3

This spell functions just like the shield spell, except it provides a +6 shield bonus to AC instead of +4.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-04-03 at 08:25 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I like the Abjurant Champion [Spells]

I like it too; it's hard not to like it when it's so massively powerful.

However, these spells break it even more; at 5th level AbCh, you can cast two swift, extended spells to gain a +22 to AC. That's ridiculous.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well, if one was following the spirit of the class (as apparently they meant to include mage armor in their bonuses, and just don't know how their own game works), then it's not far off. The only increase is greater shield, for an extra +2 over normal shield.

I personally like the idea of combining some Argent Savant levels, for an extra +2 to each force spell that grants AC.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I made these when I decided to make a character for fun and wanted to create a tank that was pure caster, and didn't use any real armors or shields. And it just bugged me that mage armor and greater mage armor weren't abjuration...So these were born.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

I agree it was probably the intent to have Mage Armor included, but you have to stop and look at the class;
    Full BAB
    d10 hit Die
    Full Caster Progressionuse
    5 Very useful abilities;

Shield (a 1st level spell) is automatically quickened and extended for +9 AC;
    Endure Elements, Resist Energy, Dispel Magic, and Explosive Runes are all automatically quickened/extended.

Frankly, these spells give too much bonus to a class that is already too powerful without them.

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It also requires two (nearly) wasted feats: combat casting and martial weapon proficiency. But MWP is easily circumvented and combat casting still has it's uses. I would:

Extend the armor bonus to pretty much any spell that grants an armor or shield bonus to AC: there's no reason to restrict it to abjuration.

Up the prereqs to proficiency with all martial weapons, thereby costing at least one level of spellcasting.

Remove a level of spellcasting at an appropriate level, either 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Probably 3rd so as to not gimp spellcasting in the early levels, but I can't rememer how frontloaded levels 1 and 2 are.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

It also requires two (nearly) wasted feats: combat casting and martial weapon proficiency. But MWP is easily circumvented and combat casting still has it's uses. I would:

Extend the armor bonus to pretty much any spell that grants an armor or shield bonus to AC: there's no reason to restrict it to abjuration.

Up the prereqs to proficiency with all martial weapons, thereby costing at least one level of spellcasting.

Remove a level of spellcasting at an appropriate level, either 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Probably 3rd so as to not gimp spellcasting in the early levels, but I can't rememer how frontloaded levels 1 and 2 are.
    Hmm, I like these suggestions. Just reading them over seems to fill in a gap the Abjurant Champion has.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

It's heavily frontloaded; these balances are almost balanced (i'd make the gaps at 2nd and 4th) but I still can't stress enough how broken it is to grant a +18 to AC with two quickened extended 1st level spells.

Homebrews:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That doesn't stack with armor or shield. It's a bit more than you'd get with armor and shield, and sooner, but it doesn't help your damage at all. You save some money on armor, the other abilities are better.
    sheer awesomeness

10. - Top - End - #10

That doesn't stack with armor or shield. It's a bit more than you'd get with armor and shield, and sooner, but it doesn't help your damage at all. You save some money on armor, the other abilities are better.
    It also has no Arcane spell failure, no ACP, doesn't require a body slot and works against Incorporeal creatures; +9 Bracers of Armor are epic items.

Homebrews:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Why not have this Spell last 1 Hour per Level as Mage Armour?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As it is, don't we have Greater Luminous armour? Full plate anyone?