Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 42 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5, Sandbox] Return to Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

Return to Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

The year is 1352, and the aging King Alben Rosen IV is gravely ill.

Worse still, the king has not produced an heir to the throne of Aldhaven and the kingdom that comes with it. His only child is a daughter, the princess Isolde Rosen, who is just now of marriageable age. The city's nobility is in uproar, the noble houses jockeying for position, intent on taking the throne for themselves when the old king finally passes through the last gate. Behind them are the lesser nobles, attempting to ascend to power by winning the favor of the victorious house, and behind them are the merchants and middle class, who wish to use the political uproar to take whatever control they can. And behind them, in places no one talks about except in hushed whispers, are the thieves, the rebels, the invaders, the saboteurs, and those who want nothing more than the downfall of the city, and the kingdom, and the coalition it leads...

Word of this chaos has spread across the continent. Warriors, mages, thieves, craftsmen, ladies of the night, informants, beggars, spies, entertainers, and countless others have flooded into the city seeking their fortune amidst the upheaval.

Welcome to Aldhaven, don't mind the knife in your back.

For three years, Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals ran as one of largest games on this forum. At the height of its activity, we boasted some 70+ active characters, each with their own individual thread and story lines, and 7 active GMs. While I ran some characters myself, it was largely my job to coordinate all of that nonsense to keep the entire game cohesive and functioning as one giant shared story. It was not an easy task, but I loved it. Unfortunately, the game officially came to a close on the day of its 3 year anniversary due to real life taking away my time to do all of that and the time of my two primary assistant GMs to help; however, several of the character threads continued to run for over a year after that.

I am posting this thread today, because I would like to restart that project, albeit on a much smaller scale. I'd rather spend my time GMing and helping the players to tell the stories of their character's fame, fortune, and grisly deaths rather than organizing others doing that. If the game grows from this humble re-beginning, then I'll adapt as it does; however, I do not anticipate it growing too much without some major help from others.

I'll be getting married this coming May, so much of my time is going towards that, and the game will go on hiatus for that entire month when it comes. Until then though, I look forward to reopening the gates of Aldhaven to those who wish to seek their fortunes.

General Information
    • System: D&D 3.5 (but see Allowed/Banned material below)
    • Player Count: Any - Recruiting is continuous; however, active players will be limited by my ability to reasonably update threads. As such, I will not be actively running more than 5 to 10 characters at
    • Style of Play: Solo/Team Sandbox - This game is an (mostly) open world. The actions of the players will determine the course of events in the game and potentially have a lasting effect on the world as experienced by others. I do have some plot hooks ready to go, but even I don't know where things will end up.
      Note: GMing is almost entirely reactionary to the players. I will respond to your actions. If you aren't happy with the way things are going, then do something different or at least say something. I'm here to facilitate your play, not railroad you into my preset story. However, don't think that means you have free reign over the world or that you will instantly become the star and hero of the city.
    • Back Stories: I will be giving preference to characters with a developed background, including job, family members, and other things to integrate them into the setting better, and I'm more than happy to help players integrate themselves with the setting. Good backgrounds may even grant you some special perks in game...
    • Please submit character sheets to Rizban via PM. Sheets posted in thread will probably get missed.

Character Creation Information
    • Character sheets are required to be posted on a character sheet host such as Myth-Weavers, DnD Sheets, or Coyote Code.
    • Level - All characters start at sixth level; 15,000 experience and 13,000 gp. You may spend XP/GP as you see fit. Yes, this means that you may use your experience and gold to craft prior to the start of the game and begin play at a lower level.
    • Ability Scores will be generated by rolling a single set of six 4d6b3. If you qualify for a reroll according to the rules presented for rerolls in the PHB, you are entitled to a reroll and may continue rolling as long as you qualify for one. No other reasons for rerolling will be permitted. If you do not like your rolls, you may choose to generate stats using 28-point point buy.
    • Hit points are maximized for first level, and rolled afterwards, rerolling all ones and only ones.
    • Classes - Characters of any class will be accepted, as long as it is official WotC material from a non-banned 3.5 D&D source.
    • Races
      • Any race with no more than a +1 level adjustment is allowed. Anything with a +2 level adjustment or higher is banned, regardless of your reasoning or explanations. This restriction includes racial classes.
      • Characters may not be of a race that has more than 2 racial hit dice.
      • Aldhaven is a mostly human city with small numbers of elves, dwarves, and some more exotic races. The GM prefers players play as humans or at least humanoids due to the setting, but this is certainly not required. This is a suggestion rather than a rule, but non-humanoids will face discrimination from the locals.
      • Gnomes will not be accepted at all due to the setting. Unless your back story is absolutely phenomenal.
      • Characters may not have any template applied to them, with the exception of the Dragonborn template from Races of the Dragon.
    • Alignment does matter and will likely come into play. There will be a number of characters who can detect alignment. Consider that when choosing. If you do not roleplay your alignment, the DM will alter your alignment to fit your actions.
    • Paladins, Clerics, Knights, and other characters with required codes of conduct will be required to uphold those restrictions to keep their abilities. GMs will be somewhat lenient on this, but gross violations will result in loss of abilities.
    • Multiclassing XP penalties are removed, for ease of bookkeeping. Otherwise, multiclassing is as normal.
    • Gear can be purchased from any non-banned source. This includes magic items from the DMG or other source books, so you may start with Potions of Cure Light Wounds or other gear.
    • A special note: All characters start with one mundane clothing outfit found in the PHB or SRD, excepting the Cold Weather, Courtier's, Noble's, or Royal Outfits, for free, so you may dress your character however you wish. You are not required to have your character wear clothing of any sort, but it is strongly recommended due to public decency laws.
    • All die rolling must be made with the in-forum roller in the in character thread.
    • A back story is required; however, please keep it skirt length: long enough to cover the essentials but short enough to keep my attention. It is generally assumed that characters are arriving from elsewhere to make their fortunes within the city, but it is entirely possible to have lived within the city most of your life and to even be a somewhat prominent citizen.
    • Only material from rulebooks you can access can be used, to prevent confusion about the rules.

Tips
    • Don't forget to list your character's languages. It actually does matter.
    • Make sure you have a full accounting of your character's gear, including purchase/crafting costs.
    • Please list book sources for all non-core items used, including page numbers.

Specifically Allowed Material, Specifically Banned Material, Specific Rulings, Rule Changes, and Allowed Homebrew

Now found in the Aldhaven Consolidated Rules thread. This is pretty important, but long. You don't have to read the whole thread, but do look to see if there's anything listed that you're planning to use.
    Short ban list: homebrew, 3rd party, Tome of Battle base classes only, large parts of Unearthed Arcana, most 3.0 material, high HD/LA creatures, and any creature templates.

General Setting Information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Aldhaven Politics
    Show
    Spoiler: The Noble Families
    Show
    House Rosen - King Alben Rosen is dying from a malignant disease that resists all known forms of cure. The n ature of this disease is completely unknown to the general populace. His only child, a daughter, is not able to inherit the throne due to being a woman. Though the name of Princess Isolde Rosen is known throughout the kingdom, she is rarely seen in public and little to nothing is actually known of her beyond her basic appearance. She is 15 years of age, tall and thin, with long, curly blonde hair, piercing gray eyes, a nose slightly too large for her face, and thin lips. Though not unattractive by any means, she would not be considered beautiful. Paintings of her visible to the public tend to make her more attractive than she really is.

House Rocholl - Archduke Wolfram Rocholl, late 50s, is the king's advisor and is currently engaged to marry the Princess Isolde, despite being more than twice her age and having several children of his own from his late wife. House Rocholl is the oldest and most powerful of the noble houses, older even than House Rosen. There are several rumors about dark dealings and criminal activities concerning House Rocholl, but there has never been any proof, and the vast majority of the population believes them to be lies started by people who are either jealous or bored. The Archduke is the legal heir to the throne due to his political position, which is only further cemented by his engagement to the princess; however, he would still legally inherit the throne even if the marriage were to be canceled.

House Dietrich - Duke Elsko Dietrich is leader of House Dietrich, a noble family composed almost entirely of merchants. Dietrich is also the wealthiest family in all of Aldhaven by far. Despite being involved in the funding of several social welfare organizations in the city, the members of the house have a poor reputation. Most people think of them as greedy, usurious cheats and liars who use their power, position, and wealth to gain greater power, position, and wealth. This is furthered by the rumor that one can quite literally buy one’s way into membership within the house. Duke Elsko is the next legal heir to the throne after Archduke Rocholl, and as such, he has a bit of enmity towards the Archduke, obviously preferring the throne to fall to himself. Most political groups that oppose House Rocholl have started to rally behind House Dietrich.

House Licorta - Known as the Friends of Dragons and led by Duke Arlin Licorta stands House Licorta. While it is fairly common knowledge that the lineage of House Licorta extends back to dragonkind, the members of the house make no such claims and deny such when mentioned, taking it as a significant insult that someone would suggest such a thing. However, the fact that an elderly dragon lives on the family estate within the Nobles' Quarter and that a fairly powerful gold and young silver dragon are known to visit the family openly on occasion means that the rumors simply will not stop. House Licorta has no claims to the throne but are well liked throughout the city, as the wondrous tales of dragonkind are always popular with the people.

House Roestel - Led by Duke Rudolph Roestel, who happens to be third line for the throne, House Roestel is distant and reluctant to be seen in public, having little to nothing to do with the common people. There are several dark, but conflicting, rumors about the family, and Duke Roestel in particular, to explain the apparent secrecy. Whether any of them are true, no one seems to know, but they are all fairly scary. The tales people tell of his wife, however, make the Duke seem benevolent and kindhearted...

There are a few other prominent noble families, though they are not as powerful nor as well known to the common people. A collection of other minor noble families also live throughout the city. Among these lesser houses are the Houses Busch, Eichel, Thelen, and Widmayer, those this is not the full extend of the lesser nobles.

Spoiler: Common Leadership
    Show
    The king rules the city of Aldhaven and the surrounding country, though it has always been largely left up to the archduke to manage the kingdom with the king taking a more international role. Just below the archduke in power is the Aldhaven City Council, an organization democratically elected from among the common Citizens of Aldhaven. The Chief Magistrate and Captain of the City Watch also hold prominent political and legal power within the city, both on par with that of the Council Chairman.

While the City Council runs the day to day of the city at large, with significant input from the archduke, they delegate most of the responsibilities and power to a number of officially recognized guilds. Among these officially recognized guilds are The Scriveners' Guild, The Arcane Order, Guild of Starlight and Shadows, The Smiths' Guild, The Blessed Bookkeepers, The Videum Obscurom, The Bardic College, the Guild of Painters, Artists, and Calligraphers, the Morganstern Society, the Smiths' and Farriers' Association, Gold and Silver Smiths', Woodworkers' United, the Shipwright's Guild, Deep Treasures Guild, and a few smaller merchant and adventurer's guilds. There exist a number of unofficial guilds as well, but these are generally frowned upon.

Spoiler: The Larger World
    Show
    Spoiler: Geographical Information
    Show
    Aldhaven is the easternmost city of the Aliiance. It lies at the point where the great river which flows from the mountains in the east to the ocean in the far west ceases to be navigable due to the shallow rapids which fill the river further upstream. The river is a major trade route across the continent, and Aldhaven is the last port along it, where caravans must pick up their goods to go further overland.

A major north/south trade route also travels through Aldhaven going up into the independent kingdoms of the north and on into The Empire of Seven Dragons. The trade route disappears into the open savannas to the south, the nomadic tribes never remaining in a single place long enough for a true road to form. Another major road leads eastward into the mountains.

Spoiler: The Alliance
    Show
    Aldhaven itself is just one city-state within an alliance of seven city-states, though it is by far the largest and most powerful among them. Two of the smaller cities, named Wetarvania and Hayes' Landing, are directly controlled by Aldhaven as vassal states under the direct authority of King Rosen.

The second largest city of the alliance, Brunsgrove, is only about half the size of Aldhaven but possesses a stronger and better armed military. Centreally located within the alliance, Brunsgrove has taken it upon itself to be the primary strike force to repel any outside threats. Due to their great efficiency at this, the military of the other city-states have become lax over the past few decades of peace.
    Brusgrove has one vassal city-state named Auberg.

Sesbury has recently suffered a major catastrophe, which has obliterated a quarter of the city and leveled nearly half. No building has gone completely undamaged, though some have fared better than others. The general populace of Sesbury has fled, taking refuge in other cities of the alliance and the surrounding hamlets. It is believed that, without a miracle, Sesbury is likely to become completely abandoned within the next few years, and the leadership of that city is making plans for that eventuality.

Estermoor is the westernmost city and located on the edge of a large swamp which covers many hundreds of square miles. The city has grown due to being the first truly habitable location on the river on this side of the swamplands. The natives of Estermoor have come to serve as guides through the swamps, telling tales of hidden ruins and mysterious creatures who live within. Such tales are unfounded and serve primarily to separate visitors from their coin.

There are several dozen small villages and hamlets throughout the alliance which owe fealty to own city-state or another, though these are little more than small farming towns or base camps for logging or mining.

Spoiler: Surrounding Nations
    Show
    The Empire of Seven Dragons to the north is watched with a wary eye by Aldhaven and its allies. While still distant, the Empire is known to be militant and expansionist, with several smaller independent kingdoms falling to its military in recent years. Fortunately, it seems to have its own internal problems at the moment as well as trying to wage a war with another enemy on its far distant northern border.

To the south are numerous tribes of nomadic peoples. While they have no large government, they are frequent traders with the merchant caravans that leave Aldhaven. They seem to never run out of valuable spices, furs, and other quality trade goods nor due they run short of gold and other precious metals. No one really knows where they acquire the goods they do, as no explorers into the region have ever managed to find anything worth noting. In fact, heading out without a proper guide usually leads to becoming lost and dying of exposure, or so the story goes...

To the east within the mountains lie two great nations: a nation of dwarves and a nation of gnomes, both with names nigh unpronounceable to the human tongue. The odd thing about the two nations is that they occupy the same area of land, with the dwarves living beneath the surface in their mountain halls and the gnomes living in the fertile valleys that crisscross the mountain range, the rivers of which feed the headwaters of the great river which flows through Aldhaven. While the dwarves are friends with Aldhaven and its allies and seek closer kinship with them, the gnomes are wary and cold towards any overtures of friendship. Due to the close relationship between the two, the dwarves do not progress any further in negotiations of alliance until the gnomes are in agreement. Due to the tenuous nature of the current arrangement, there are virtually no gnomes within Aldhaven.
    Spoiler: City Maps
    Show
    The newer, more complete, but still unfinished map.

Old, unfinished map showing city districts
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-09-02 at 02:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Return to Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

The Streets of Aldhaven - The main In Character thread.

Newly approved characters always start here. Introduce your character in The Plaza, and a DM will pick you up as soon as possible. When you reach a certain plot critical point, you'll earn a private character thread. You're then allowed to "walk" back and forth between public areas and your own private thread.

Useful Public Threads
    Aldhaven Town Crier, the headline news in Aldhaven, also located in The Streets of Aldhaven thread above.
    AVB Out of Character Thread, for all your chatting, alliance making, and plotting needs. (Approved players only, please.)
    Aldhaven City Map (in progress) very rough district map
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-02-06 at 04:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Tips and Thoughts from the Players/GMs

The following list is a collection of relevant thoughts, tips, and quotes from past players and GMs assembled for your benefit. Most of these are direct quotes, modified only for spelling and clarity or with comments added (names redacted to protect the guilty). They're good advice. Incidentally, Rizban only wrote 2 or 3 of these himself.

• DO NOT post in city streets until your character has been approved. Seriously, this gets your character automatically declined and kicked to the end of the waiting list. [This player learned from experience. Twice.]

• On character creation, if you have a question that is very minor or relates entirely to roleplaying, you should finish and submit the character sheet then ask specific questions. If you have a major mechanical question, ask it in the recruitment thread before submitting the character. In general, it's better to have the character sheet finished and ask specific questions than it is to ask broad, general, or theoretical questions. Also, don't ask weirdly worded questions in an attempt to "trick" the GM. That's a sure fire way to never be allowed to play.

• When rolling hit points, use the [rollv] tag instead of [roll] and roll extra dice, e.g. [rollv]10d6[/rollv]. Then you can just take the first results that aren't a 1. This keeps you from having to make multiple posts to roll hit points.

• Some of the things on the town crier represent real posted advertisements/notices that he has been tasked with ... well... crying out. Some though represent the rumor mill that your character may have heard as he walked around the city to reach the Plaza. Still others have been paid for and posted by players. While not a great way to draw other players in to your plots or find teammates, it does work.

• When you start playing, it's up to you to explore and find plot hooks. They're everywhere, so it isn't hard. If you can't find something to do, then you're doing something wrong or ignoring blatant plots around you.

• Do not assume things. Or if you do assume them do so in an ooc so that the DM doesnt have to retcon your actions just to tell you how things work. Remember, you ONLY control YOUR character. Don't try to control NPCs or other players.

• Do not read other peoples' threads. It's not just a common courtesy but a rule. Its easy to get carried away, and I am sure it comes from non-AvB players. When a DM creates a new -private- thread for a PC and sees 14 views BEFORE he/she has even posted, it can cause suspicion. If you get caught reading another thread or acting on knowledge you could have only learned in a private thread belonging to another player, then your character will be penalized. Usually, it's an XP penalty but the character can be killed off or simply retired depending on the grievousness.

• Three words: Reactive Game World. Thinking about doing something is not equal to doing something. In order for the GM to respond, you must -do- something. If you take no actions, the GM will only be able to prompt you for action or throw a random encounter attack on you for no real reason. Also on this point, do not feel limited with the Sad Flint and rumors from the Town Crier... the city has many dozens of plot hooks waiting to be stumbled on and be discovered. In fact, don't go looking for plots in the Sad Flint at all if you can help it. It's meant essentially as the fall back for people who can't be creative enough on their own to explore and find things. As stated above, there are many plots in the game. Go out and get one.

• Feel free to do small mundane things automatically. If you forgot to buy a torch, a rope, or things like that, and you are not under a time constraint or in combat or something else restrictive, you can simply say that you go to the stores, buy torches, and return. Generally mundane equipment or even low level magic items (e.g. a cure light wounds potion) are available from city vendors. You don't have to roleplay it out UNLESS YOU WANT TO. Roleplaying it out may give you new plot hooks or NPC contacts or other benefits, but it is totally unnecessary for simple things. Anything that costs more than about 35-40gp or is from outside of the core books/SRD likely needs to be roleplayed. Just post it in an spoiler in your thread and let the GM decide.

• Its one thing to roll gather info and another to go and directly ask someone something. Gather Information reflects a few hours worth of overhearing conversations, asking around, and observing things. It will usually give the "city's" or "district's" general opinion. Asking an individual directly gives you this -one- person's opinion, if he's cooperative. That doesn't make either one automatically correct or objective, but one might make it more precise/detailed/accurate/etc. Asking a person you know directly is usually much faster and less likely to draw unwanted attention.

• Do not go into the Docks at night.

• Do NOT go into the Docks at night!

• DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO INTO THE DOCKS AT NIGHT!!

• If looking for a pleasant evening of fun activities, disregard the previous three entries. - The Shadow Spider
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-10-13 at 12:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Current Waiting List
    1. Sønderjye
    2. Galenti
    3. tuesdayscoming
    4. Lexin
    5. weary atlas
    6. androgial
    7. LordDavenport
    8. Aldurin
    9. J-H
    10. Lonewolf1210
    11. LuckyStrike
    12. esorscher
    13. Princess
    14. HerbieRAI
    15. Dr_Nimm
    16. Ahus
    17. Gabrosin

(Does not include players of characters currently under review)
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-12-16 at 08:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I'm interested. I'm thinking either some form of true neutral wizard who came to learn about necromancy with a more serious premise, or a more comic relief style factotum. I wouldn't be interested so much in solo play, and would like to partner up with some other PCs

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[18]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rofltrollcopter View Post
    Well I'm interested. I'm thinking either some form of true neutral wizard who came to learn about necromancy with a more serious premise, or a more comic relief style factotum. I wouldn't be interested so much in solo play, and would like to partner up with some other PCs

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Ah, I didn't mention this but, due to past problems with necromancers, all undead are banned from the city and all bodies are required by law to be cremated outside of the city. I'm not saying don't play a necromancer if you want, as we've had at least one very successful necromancer character in the past, but please keep in mind the limitations and restrictions you'll be facing.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-01-26 at 09:28 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I did have quite an entertaining game as a goliath Barbarian/Fighter once and I think I may attempt for that once more

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Do warforged and changelings fit in to the setting at all? What would their most likely origins be? I have a couple ideas that take into account the general racism.
    "You blew up a church!"

"It blew ITSELF up!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

So are we solo unless we decide to work with someone?

Requesting a 3rd party ruleset: Encyclopedia Arcane's Crossbreeding book. It gives rules for merging two creatures into a new monster. The limitations on it are: It's fairly expensive, you don't actually have any control on the created creature, you must spend IC months researching each creature (so I might be 'borrowing' biology scripts a lot) and you have to capture the specimens yourself or have another do it for you.

If that's not allowed, I might just test out a Sorcadin of Freedom/Eldritch Knight for funsies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSmasher View Post
    Do warforged and changelings fit in to the setting at all? What would their most likely origins be? I have a couple ideas that take into account the general racism.
    Warforged are simply known as Forged. They're more of a curiosity than anything else, and they were never mass produced to serve as soldiers in war. Forged are known to exist, but they are fairly rare. The secrets of their creation are not known, but it is known that there are at least two major nations elsewhere in the world where they are created. One typically uses them as slave labor while the other treats them as free, independent citizens. The two "subraces" of Forged have some enmity towards one another, but there's no general discrimination against them beyond what is typical for foreigners. There are even a couple of prominent forged in the city. Additionally, there are a number of "Ancient Forged" that have been around for centuries. No one knows who created them, not even the ancient forged themselves. It's believed that those who create them now learned the process through dissection and reverse engineering of the ancient forged. Though, of course, most non-forged aren't aware of any of this, seeing all forged as one big group of "construct people."

Changelings are the offspring of dopplegangers and humanoids. They're not so much a race as they are unfortunate half breeds. It's doubtful that most would even know they exist, so there's no widespread discrimination against them. However, due to their innate abilities, distrust, ostracism, and potential hatred could result if a changeling's nature was revealed.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dayaz View Post
    So are we solo unless we decide to work with someone?

Requesting a 3rd party ruleset: Encyclopedia Arcane's Crossbreeding book. It gives rules for merging two creatures into a new monster. The limitations on it are: It's fairly expensive, you don't actually have any control on the created creature, you must spend IC months researching each creature (so I might be 'borrowing' biology scripts a lot) and you have to capture the specimens yourself or have another do it for you.

If that's not allowed, I might just test out a Sorcadin of Freedom/Eldritch Knight for funsies
    That is correct. You'll always start solo, but you can make parties once you start the game and meet up with other characters.

No crossbreeding book. It's an interesting book (and one I actually have), but it's not something I really want to introduce to the game... for reasons... *cough*
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Ah, I didn't mention this but, due to past problems with necromancers, all undead are banned from the city and all bodies are required by law to be cremated outside of the city. I'm not saying don't play a necromancer if you want, as we've had at least one very successful necromancer character in the past, but please keep in mind the limitations and restrictions you'll be facing.
    Fair, I think I can make it work. As for crunch, I'll probably go straight wizard. I'll come up with fluff/backstory first, then post the stats.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey I'm interested, but to be honest I'm not especially experienced. (I have played in a few PF and 3.5 campaigns in person but none in forums)
    How would you feel about having an inexperienced player?

Edit: I do have a character idea I can post.
    Last edited by SPAAAAAAACE; 2015-01-26 at 10:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Need some rolls before I decide on anything

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

That is correct. You'll always start solo, but you can make parties once you start the game and meet up with other characters.

No crossbreeding book. It's an interesting book (and one I actually have), but it's not something I really want to introduce to the game... for reasons... *cough*
    -Stares morosely at the Gorgon/Minotaur- Some day...

In that case, I'll probably try that Sorcadin/Eldritch knight combo, although I'm honestly not sure how well it will work.
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

[Scrubbed for secrecy]
    Last edited by AdamSmasher; 2015-02-01 at 04:09 PM.
    "You blew up a church!"

"It blew ITSELF up!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I think I remember this.

Interested...but I have no idea what to put together for this.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

I might run through this abit.
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPAAAAAAACE View Post
    Hey I'm interested, but to be honest I'm not especially experienced. (I have played in a few PF and 3.5 campaigns in person but none in forums)
    How would you feel about having an inexperienced player?
    That's fine. Try to stick to simpler builds if you're inexperienced and try to post at least once a day. Other than that, I'm happy to have anyone who is enthusiastic and fun to game with.

-Stares morosely at the Gorgon/Minotaur- Some day...

In that case, I'll probably try that Sorcadin/Eldritch knight combo, although I'm honestly not sure how well it will work.
    Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSmasher View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the quick reply.

Let me expand on my first idea. It's been a while since I've played a non-freeform game, so tell me how feasible this sounds from both a setting/story and technical standpoint.

I'd like to play a warforged telepath (or beguiler)(or *warlock*) from the country where warforged are treated as slave labor. This Forged will be accompanying some sort of merchant/noble from that country and functioning as their servant. His master will have some designs on carving out a place for himself among the turmoil. In reality, however, the master will be the mind controlled/beguiled pawn of the Forged servant. This servant, my real main character, will be using the merchant as a face for his own political movements. If necessary, he will shift between different 'masters' as necessary to further himself. It looks like we can't start off with cohorts, but what about a level 1 aristocrat mind-slave?

His ultimate goal will be to lead Aldhaven into a war with his home country, which he will use to liberate as many of his Forged kin as possible, possibly beginning their own country. He might also take great interest in discovering the secret to creating more Forged, as it could help springboard any country he might create.

Since his only experience with non-Forged thusfar has been less than spectacular, he does not hold humanoids in high regard. He sees them as an unsympathetic 'other' that will always be his enemy. As for the other subrace of Forged, he sees them as sadly misguided but needing only a gentle nudge to see the light. That said, since Aldhaven will be his first experience outside of his own hostile country, he might change his opinions on non-constructs if he has enough positive interactions with them.

Does that seem mechanically sound? Is it thematically appropriate? Do you like it?
    Sounds pretty good, actually. I might waive that no cohorts restriction if your write up is good enough. Build the character, and I'll see what works.

Do note, however, that the average level of a "basic" adult NPC is level 6, and most characters have at least one or two "adventurer" levels. Levels 1 to 5 are generally reserved for children and apprentices.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-01-26 at 10:54 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's fine. Try to stick to simpler builds if you're inexperienced and try to post at least once a day. Other than that, I'm happy to have anyone who is enthusiastic and fun to game with.
    Awesome! Then here's my current idea:
    A sorcerer (likely human, possibly half-something else), or psion member of a smaller family in the aristocracy. Her family is an old one, but hasn't been very wealthy / powerful in a long time. She's a relatively young (early to mid 20s) only child who took up leadership of her house after her father died when she was young. Her father's death resulted in her mother, and most of the aristocracy, abandoning her to her own devices, but she crawled through the dirt using her innate powers to survive for years. The experience has taught her how to survive and thrive, but it has also fermented a deep hatred for the aristocracy. However despite this hatred she, on the outside, appears quite diplomatic and frequently consorts with the lords and ladies of the land. All the while she's plotting their painful downfall.

Her goal would primarily be to watch every available member of the aristocracy burning on a pole. This is especially directed towards the powerful families who could have helped her, but chose not to.

Let me know if this is interesting, and if it fits in with the setting.
    Last edited by SPAAAAAAACE; 2015-01-26 at 11:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPAAAAAAACE View Post
    Awesome! Then here's my current idea:
    A sorcerer (likely human, possibly half-something else), or psion member of a smaller family in the aristocracy. Her family is an old one, but hasn't been very wealthy / powerful in a long time. She's a relatively young (early to mid 20s) only child who took up leadership of her house after her father died when she was young. Her father's death resulted in her mother, and most of the aristocracy, abandoning her to her own devices, but she crawled through the dirt using her innate powers to survive for years. The experience has taught her how to survive and thrive, but it has also fermented a deep hatred for the aristocracy. However despite this hatred she, on the outside, appears quite diplomatic and frequently consorts with the lords and ladies of the land. All the while she's plotting their painful downfall.

Her goal would primarily be to watch every available member of the aristocracy burning on a pole. This is especially directed towards the powerful families who could have helped her, but chose not to.

Let me know if this is interesting, and if it fits in with the setting.
    Fits with the setting, but due to her "disgraced" status, she would not have free access to the other nobility, nor would she have free access to the Nobles' Quarter.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

I might have missed it, but what setting is this? I'm asking because I need to pick a decent god (I guess I don't HAVE too, but meh)

My new idea (that I fully plan on running with) is a Cleric/Incarnate/Sapphire Heirarch who uses some of the Necrocarnum melds, but isn't evil in the slightest.

S/He would have been sent to Aldhaven to help stop the chaos, or at least help contain it.
    Last edited by Dayaz; 2015-01-26 at 11:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

hmmm interesting

this is a tough choice but after reading about the kreen I would like to try a kreen monk.

the build this assumes rhd is counted in build if not then adjust it to meet that.

flaws

Unreactive
    ( Unearthed Arcana, p. 91)

[Flaw]

You are slow to react to danger.
    Prerequisite
    Benefit
    You take a -6 penalty on initiative checks

Inattentive

[Flaw]

You are particularly unaware of your surroundings.
    Prerequisite
    Benefit
    You take a -4 penalty on Listen checks and Spot checks.

1. krenn rhd
    2.kreen rhd
    3. kreen la no hd (ouch)
    4. monk
    5. ranger
    6. monk
    7.ranger
    8. monk
    9. ranger
    10. monk
    11. Ka'chatak
    12. Ka'chatak
    13. Ka'chatak
    14. Ka'chatak
    15. Ka'chatak
    16. ranger
    17. monk
    18. ranger
    19. monk
    20. ranger

feats again assume rhd is built in if separate then gain extra feat.

flaw feat: multiattack
    flaw feat:Weapon Focus (gythka)
    1. Active Glands [Monstrous]
    3. Ascetic Hunter
    6. Reminiscence feat
    9. improved Natural Attack (claws)
    12. Superior Unarmed Strike
    15. improved Natural Attack (bite)
    18. improved Natural Attack (claws)
    Last edited by niw18; 2015-01-26 at 11:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I might have missed it, but what setting is this? I'm asking because I need to pick a decent god (I guess I don't HAVE too, but meh)

My new idea (that I fully plan on running with) is a Cleric/Incarnate/Sapphire Heirarch who uses some of the Necrocarnum melds, but isn't evil in the slightest.

S/He would have been sent to Aldhaven to help stop the chaos, or at least help contain it.
    Typically, any god you come up with is revered in some way within the Temple District. So, pick whatever you like. Deities are the only thing I give free reign on for you to homebrew, assuming it's within reason.

Now, whether or not your chosen deity will actually have a temple or just a simple shrine on the side of the road is another matter entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by niw18 View Post
    hmmm interesting

this is a tough choice but after reading about the kreen I would like to try a kreen monk.

the build this assumes rhd is counted in build if not then adjust it to meet that.
    Spoiler
    Show

flaws

Unreactive

[Flaw]

You are slow to react to danger.
    Prerequisite
    Benefit
    You take a -6 penalty on initiative checks

Inattentive

[Flaw]

You are particularly unaware of your surroundings.
    Prerequisite
    Benefit
    You take a -4 penalty on Listen checks and Spot checks.

1. krenn rhd
    2.kreen rhd
    3. kreen la no hd (ouch)
    4. monk
    5. ranger
    6. monk
    7.ranger
    8. monk
    9. ranger
    10. monk
    11. Ka'chatak
    12. Ka'chatak
    13. Ka'chatak
    14. Ka'chatak
    15. Ka'chatak
    16. ranger
    17. monk
    18. ranger
    19. monk
    20. ranger

feats again assume rhd is built in if separate then gain extra feat.

flaw feat: multiattack
    flaw feat:Weapon Focus (gythka)
    1. Active Glands [Monstrous]
    3. Ascetic Hunter
    6. Reminiscence feat
    9. improved Natural Attack (claws)
    12. Superior Unarmed Strike
    15. improved Natural Attack (bite)
    18. improved Natural Attack (claws)
    Please use a sheet host. I've linked three of them at the start of the first post.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Oh, you have my attention! From a glance, I like the sound of the southern savannas. Would is be feasible to play a character from there? Perhaps some kind of "merchant warrior prince/princess" who rents out a small troupe of mercenaries....? I'll have to think about it.

Spoiler: Going ahead with some rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bryn0528 View Post
    Oh, you have my attention! From a glance, I like the sound of the southern savannas. Would is be feasible to play a character from there? Perhaps some kind of "merchant warrior prince/princess" who rents out a small troupe of mercenaries....? I'll have to think about it.

Spoiler: Going ahead with some rolls
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Sure, but remember that you normally don't start off with any cohorts or followers.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Sure, but remember that you normally don't start off with any cohorts or followers.
    I did plan on taking the Leadership feat, which as far as I can see is not banned? (If I'm wrong, please let me know; I'm just using the online SRD so I'm not actually sure which book it's from.) Also, it might be interesting to start in-game trying to attract followers before moving onto Aldhaven, though I wasn't sure if you'd be comfortable with such.

28. - Top - End - #28

Kobold

Would Asmodeus from Pathfinder be acceptable? He was a devil, who wrote the contract that let the gods create the planes, and ascended to godhood himself because of the fine print. He was key in sealing away Rovagug, the god that wants to unmake everything. He's much, much more Lawful than Evil, but I figured it would make sense for my character, since his Necrocarnum could be fluffed as the souls already being tortured in the Hells. It would also fit why a 'paladin'-esque character would be able to use evil powers, since it's kind of a "whatever it takes" kind of thing.

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bryn0528 View Post
    I did plan on taking the Leadership feat, which as far as I can see is not banned? (If I'm wrong, please let me know; I'm just using the online SRD so I'm not actually sure which book it's from.) Also, it might be interesting to start in-game trying to attract followers before moving onto Aldhaven, though I wasn't sure if you'd be comfortable with such.
    It's from the PHB. It's not banned, but you do have to acquire the cohort and followers in game through roleplay.
    All characters start off already in/at the city, but if you work it into a really good back story, I might let you have a few low-level followers. Just make sure the back story is really good.

Would Asmodeus from Pathfinder be acceptable? He was a devil, who wrote the contract that let the gods create the planes, and ascended to godhood himself because of the fine print. He was key in sealing away Rovagug, the god that wants to unmake everything. He's much, much more Lawful than Evil, but I figured it would make sense for my character, since his Necrocarnum could be fluffed as the souls already being tortured in the Hells. It would also fit why a 'paladin'-esque character would be able to use evil powers, since it's kind of a "whatever it takes" kind of thing.
    Pretty sure Asmodeus is from base D&D. In fact, I'm certain he's lord of Nessus, the ninth layer of the the Nine Hells, and ruler of all Nine Hells.

Edit: Remember that necrocarnum has the [evil] tag, and alignment does matter.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-01-27 at 12:01 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Kobold

It's from the PHB. It's not banned, but you do have to acquire the cohort and followers in game through roleplay.
    All characters start off already in/at the city, but if you work it into a really good back story, I might let you have a few low-level followers. Just make sure the back story is really good.

Pretty sure Asmodeus is from base D&D. In fact, I'm certain he's lord of Nessus, the ninth layer of the the Nine Hells, and ruler of all Nine Hells.
    He probably is, but since I don't have any books that have him in them, I don't know how different he is Lore-wise. It would suck to have him as my deity and the 3.5 one is just a typical devil, you feel me?