New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Irish culture in FR?

I'm looking for a Human cultural background in the Forgotten Realms that mirrors Irish culture. I would like to use it for a Human Variant Rogue I'm going to play later this month, and just can't for the life of me remember such a culture in Faerun...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Irish culture in FR?

I think Moonshae Isles have elements of it:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moonshae_Isles
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, that helps some. Thanks for the link, hamishspence. Any chance there is a more Sea of Fallen Stars oriented culture?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5

In the Sea of Fallen Stars you get the the Eyes of Silvanus, the islands Ilighôn and Wavecrest. They are not ''Irish'', but they are home to the Emerald Enclave and can be flavored Irish no problem.

Altumbel could work as it's a mostly lore empty spot.

The Chondalwood has plenty of fey, and you could put an Irish culture there no problem.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Dales would have been my first thought, too.

Moonshaes are very British Islands, but they are very poorly tacked on. The islands were designed to be an original setting, but it got scrapped and someone had the idea just to slap them into the sea off the coast of the Forgotten Realms, which was in development at the same time.
    And that's pretty much the entire support that region ever got. As far as I know, they never played into what's going on in the setting at all.

Dalelands on the other hand are one of the Heartlands where all the action happened. (Before it moved to the North and stayed there.)
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Moonshaes are very British Islands, but they are very poorly tacked on. The islands were designed to be an original setting, but it got scrapped and someone had the idea just to slap them into the sea off the coast of the Forgotten Realms, which was in development at the same time.
    And that's pretty much the entire support that region ever got. As far as I know, they never played into what's going on in the setting at all.

There was a bit more support than that; two novel series, the Moonshaes supplement, and some scattered references, but still, not much.

Moonshaes is very much a "pseudo-Celtic setting with pseudo-Vikings" setting. I could see it being quite fun to play in, but there's not much given to it.

The Dalelands I don't see as being specifically Irish, though agree that you could flavor them that way. Instead, they wind up as the "pseudo-Medieval-without-the-bad-parts" that seems to be a default setting.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.