New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default IC. The Spiral in the Night 3.5

You have travelled for many days, leaving the Realm of the Dales behind and entering into the wilder area of the Borderlands. Farms and towns have become less frequent and travellers few. The road has climbed higher as you enter the forested and mountainous country, it seems that you are traveling through the mountain it self, You now move up a narrow, rocky track.
    A wall of natural stone is on your left, the path falling away to a steep cliff on the right. in the distance the only thing you see its tundra, there is a small widening ahead, where you finally seem to find the end of this path, now the night it's at it best a chill wind crawls trough your spines as the lonely road its traversed only buy the 5 of you.
    after a couple of hours finally you seem to be approaching your destination, and its definitely not the town you expected The black and golden cloaks that cover the men-at-arms who guard the entrance shout at you to give your names and state your business. behind them, a great fortress with an only spiral tower standing and many other just shattered around, you can count up to 15 on them. the manssonry its charcoil black, as if it were burned All along the top of the wall you see curious faces peering down at you some of them eager to welcome new champions, but ready with crossbow and pole arm to give another sort of welcome to enemies.

Welcome to the Spiral fortress the last outpost in the north.
    Last edited by Sandviper; 2015-02-02 at 11:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: IC. The Spiral in the Night 3.5

Ansraelus shuffles nervously. "A-Ansraelus, sir, of...of Ilsevel. We, er...The objective of our current enterprise..." He trails off, giving pleading looks at the more glib members of the party.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

A winged, armoured Paladin hovers a few feet above the group, his presence dominating, though it is clear he is not the leader. He speaks in a clear, open voice, without panic or delay, though there is a hint of anger, arrogance and almost resentment towards the very-human guards.
    I am Sianne. I am an Aasimar Paladin of Pelor. Stand down.
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be dumb. Now I'm not. Rock on, everyone!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Goblin

Right after the winged warrior finish talking, a girl in eye-catching outfit stepts in and waves to the guards, smiling friendly. Her green skin and facial features betray she is an Orc, but for her species she looks suprisingly unthreatening, small and even, in human standards, attractive. If her careless approaching of the guards didn't ruin majestic effect Sianne tried to accomplish, her words surerly did.
    "Hiiii! I'm Slan, I play on violin, sing and tell stories. And I'm much prettier than the guy who had a celestial in a family." She points dismingisingly at paladin behind her as she speaks. "Anyway, we heard you guys have trouble so we came to help."
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2015-02-02 at 01:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

The Aasimar's hand twitches when the Orc came in with her ridiculous outburst, whether in disgust that this lesser being ruined his persuasion or anger that he is allowing her to go through with it. He continues flapping up and down, staring at 'Slan' with silent judgement- he had not bothered to learn this damn thing's name til' now, and it'd be burned into his memory forever. All her fault, most likely.
    Ruin what I had going, why don't you just smack your head against the gate, for Pelor's sake...
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

One of the guards steps forward as the winged creature finish speaking, a majestic halberd in one hand... he was just about to speak back to the paladin but instead looked at the orcish girl... Well, you must be their leader i assume. quickly he takes a look at the reaction on the "celestial"... and continues Sure you are, look how you put him on his place. everyone arounds starts laughing ok so... you must be the ones answering our call, welcome to the black blizzard fort. Capt. Azel has been expecting you... go to the spiral, he'll fill you in.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Draven held his cloak around him as the otehrs spoke, not really seeing any moment to interject. Unlike the paladin he did not have his wings showing right now; he'd prefer to keep from looking too overtly supernatural. He looked to the others as the guards finished, the only things showing under his hood being his gleaming eyes. "Well then, I suppose that is that." He muttered nonchalantly.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

8. - Top - End - #8

Grrh... Sianne's wings continue flapping up and down, slightly more aggressively. He begins to follow the party, drawing his greatsword out of it's scabbard only slightly. The drudgery of the Church's assignments!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ansraelus lets out a breath he was unconsciously holding, and visibly relaxes as the attention of the group and guards falls elsewhere. He follows the rest, staying close to the group, particularly Slan. Worried that the guards suspect him of lying due to his stutter, he gives what he thinks to a be a reassuring smile to the "majestic halberdier" as he passes.
    Last edited by Animidest; 2015-02-02 at 02:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Goblin

"Why thank you. You're very nice." Slan Smiles to the guard with majestic hallberd. "Lets go, guys. Your leader commands you!" Shetells to her commrades in overly dramatic way to show she doesn't seriously mean it. She wouldn't really like a leader job, too much hassle and bossing people around.
    As they walk, she speaks to Sianne. "Cheer up. You're much more cute when you aren't frowning. Which, I have to admit, isn't very often." She pauses for a moment. "You aren't mad I said I'm prettier than you, right? Don't let that eat you. I mean, yeah, I'm straight nine out of ten but you're still soild eight and three quaters." She smiles happily and friendly, betraying she means no harm with these words.

11. - Top - End - #11

Oh, yes, I'm very jealous of your rather feminine outfit and lack of wings. The Paladin goes onto say: Why do you have such revealing armour, anyway? It's rather impractical and rather silly. No one likes things like that in my church, anyway. Doubt that guard's part of my church, can see one advantage in things like that. He chuckles to himself. Clearly, he was the superior being in this situation, and must act like it. In any case, I ask you all if you beings would not mind me handling the negotiations? I am... Let's say, 'respectable'. You are all very powerful- the paladin grins at this point- But I am more noble and trustworthy. Someone akin to myself cannot break their word to someone once they've made it.
    Breaking into a full-on smile-one the group would not have seen for a long while- his eyes widen. He scans the area.
    Spoiler
    Show

Casting Detect Evil and analysing the area, checking the alignments of everyone except the party.
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2015-02-02 at 04:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

The nighttime shadows coalesce around Sirix's tiny form and he fades into view after the party passes the guards. He grins at Draven, "I prefer to announce my presence on my own terms. Comes with our line of work, right Drav old buddy?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In shadowy illumination Sirix can gain concealment as a free action. I can roll a hide check if necessary, Sand - I just figured I'd throw in some flavor since I'm posting late.
    Last edited by mote; 2015-02-02 at 05:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Draven smirked and pulled off his hood after the guards were passed. Since his only real unnatural trait was his eyes, he felt safe being able to walk around causally here without suspicion. "Indeed partner. The less we are seen or known, the better we are at what we do. Even when what we do changes somewhat." He looked to Sianne and chuckled a bit. "Though to fly is truly very enjoyable...I may join out holy ally in the skies later."

In response to what the paladin had said, Draven nodded in agreement. "I can mostly agree with such a course of action. You certainly won't see me trying to sway the populace." He chuckled a bit again at his light joking.
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah, yes. I can corroborate," Ansraelus says to the warlock, glad to have something to add to the conversation. "To repudiate gravity and touch the sky is verily one of this world's delectations, though I have no experience with wings...It appears to me to be rather enervating."
    Turning to address the man flying above, he adds, "I have no qualms with leaving negotiation to you, Holy Warrior. It takes no great perspicacity to discern my lack of talent in that area."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Negotiate away, O Respectable One," Sirix says wryly. "Just make sure you negotiate a respectable sum."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You cast detect evil, and no one here irradiates evilness.

Show
    How much concealment does he sirix gets?

the fortress inside its, much bigger than it appears on the outside, you can see its very well organized, and most of the people inside are soldiers, or at least wear the golden and black uniform. they let you walk freely, and from time to time, some one greets you in the way. As you keep walking, towards the spiral, you realize its bigger and bigger and odd looking, not quite sure why.... standing at the botton there are 7 soldiers in black and golden, and one female in a pure black suit of armor with a golden helmet.

The female voice, speaks out loud It´s good to see that you have finally arrive, now let´s not waste any more time and get this over with. Come on in, step in to my office. the female and 5 Soldiers step into the spiral tower, there is a magical circle in the ground, she steps on in and dissapears. 3 of the guards follow her, and the other two await right next to it. The captain it´s waiting... please step in to the circle, it will take you to her office at the top.

17. - Top - End - #17

Very well.
    The group Paladin flutters over to the circle and lands, his plate armour making a heavy *clunk* sound. Despite this, he seems unencumbered, nodding to the rest of the party as he prepares for a trap or to be teleported.
    Come on, move it. We need to get this done. Come on, now.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Draven sighs a bit at the 'hurry along' attitude the soldier and Sianne seem to have, preferring to take his time with something fairly important. "I suppose we go then. Prepare for a bumpy ride, at least." He grins as he jokes, and steps into the circle.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Emitting a brief whiff of a familiar but unrecognizable smell and concentrating for a moment, Ansraelus manifests Detect Hostile Intent, and, after another moment's deliberation, steps into the circle.

Show
    When a psionic power is manifested, there is some sort of display, which can be auditory, visual, olfactory, material, or mental.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Goblin

"I'm getting this a lot from other Orcs, you know? Like, there was this berserker and she was big and scary and wore black armor and it was really getting on her nerves so I had hard time working with her. You two would get along, he was all serious too." Slan laughs when their Paladin points out their outfit. "The thing is, I'm not really a fighter. And this isn't an armor. I know little magic, can talk my way out of trouble and do few other tricks so I'm always good help to the guys who do punchy stuff, but I wouldn't hit a house with a cannon." She shrugs. "I'll leave fighting to you, our brave hero, and then sing songs about your glorious victory. Or an elegy if you fall. But they're sad so don't do that, okay? It would be mean to make cute girl like me sad, I'm sure your god wouldn't approve of it."
    When it's time to step into the circle, Slan does it without hesitation. She is many things, but suspicious is not one of them.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2015-02-03 at 12:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Rright, you do that. You've been singing all the way here anyway, I think I'm getting only slightly used to it. Slightly. The Aasimar's smile breaks down into a calm expression.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Nobility) checks.
    (1d20+3)[21] Religion
    (1d20)[14] Nobility
    Both are to determine who rules this place and what religion they are.
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2015-02-03 at 12:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Suppose they wouldn't have us trek all the way here just to kill us with a circle," Sirix says, shrugging. He follows the others into the circle.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Techmagss View Post
    Rright, you do that. You've been singing all the way here anyway, I think I'm getting only slightly used to it. Slightly. The Aasimar's smile breaks down into a calm expression.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Nobility) checks.
    [roll0] Religion
    [roll1] Nobility
    Both are to determine who rules this place and what religion they are.
    There's no record in your memory of any religious organizations, neither you see any holy symbols, or family crest's. right now you can't tell.

when every one is in the circle, it just takes but a second and suddenly, with a bright golden shine and some weird buzzing you find your selves in a circular room, illuminated by 20 torches circling around the room, its about 60 ft across, you can see 8 arrow slits. its not heavily decorated, mostly you see black and golden standards, some chairs by the arrow slits, and one only paint of a duel between two knights, one it's a one handed male, fighting with a mace, in a silver armor with a white cloak and the other one it's on a black suit of armor and a golden cloak, fighting with a two handed bastard sword, in the middle of the room you can se a round table with 8 seats. Each occupied by a knight, including the female with the golden helmet.

The female stands up, followed by everyone else and addresses to you Thank you for answering to our call, right now you must be wondering who we might be, and why you haven't heard from us, We are an ancient organization lost over time, most wouldn't even remember us, such is the case of the current realm.. but that's not important.

We are the Everwatch knights, sons of Helm, the vigilant one, he of the unsleeping eyes. As such, it's our duty to keep the balance within this world, we can't favor no sides, nor good, nor evil, but we must ensure, that the equilibrium it's not broken by unfair powers. Hard at it sounds, it get's worst, we can't directly intervine, unless a full blown out disbalance have been created, so we need "pawns"... in this case you.

24. - Top - End - #24

The paladin takes his position above the ground once more upon reaching the room.
    Ahem.
    I am Sianne, Paladin of Pelor and a Knight myself-only of a different order, of course. If I may ask, why take us all away, around one hundred miles to make us pawns? Were you unable to simply recruit from the local villages?
    What you have said is drastically different from what the Church assigned me to. I am aware I am on probation and must remain in an obedient position, yet I am morbidly curious as to why they would 'loan out' one of their best Paladins to a church of another God?

Sianne speaks in a rather majestic yet not too loud tone as he looks down on the mere mortals, silently judging them.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+16)[21] Diplomacy, to act diplomatic and represent the party in a good light.
    (1d20+5)[23] Sense motive, see what they're up to.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Draven stands and listens to the knight's speech, arms crossed over his chest as he makes a hum of thought. Though he does smirk a bit at Sianne's mention of 'best paladins', amused at his very high view of himself; no doubt the noble man likely deserved it either way. But aside from these little things, he just waited and listened to the people who were better with words.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ansraelus, though visibly irked at the paladin's self-centered speech, decides to remain silent, shifting from foot to foot. He knows that he would be of no help in this situation, besides monitoring the guards and golden-helmeted female telepathically.

Show
    I take it no one (within 30 feet) has "hostile intent"? If anyone does, I'll be the first to know. I also can't be caught flat-footed for the next 100 minutes. Just in case negotiations go south. Very south.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sirix leans casually against the wall, letting the paladin do the talking. He makes no apparent signs of casting a spell, but his eyes take on a faint blue glow as he examines the room for any ongoing spells.

Show
    Casting Arcane Sight w/ Silent Spell
    My Conceal Spellcasting trick hides the somatic component with a Sleight of Hand check (vs the Spot of anyone paying attention)
    Sleight of Hand: (1d20+18)[27]

Just want to make sure no spells are being cast on us

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Goblin

Slan, for once in her life, decides to stay quiet and just observe the situation. Not that she doesn't have a lot to say, she would love to chat with these mysterious figures all day and night. But she wants to see how Sianne will handle things. If he mess up she might always step in, it won't be different from how she often handled negotiations with some dumb big Orc warlrod insisting he'll do it. And who knows, maybe this guy actually can do better than the average Orc?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Techmagss View Post
    The paladin takes his position above the ground once more upon reaching the room.
    Ahem.
    I am Sianne, Paladin of Pelor and a Knight myself-only of a different order, of course. If I may ask, why take us all away, around one hundred miles to make us pawns? Were you unable to simply recruit from the local villages?
    What you have said is drastically different from what the Church assigned me to. I am aware I am on probation and must remain in an obedient position, yet I am morbidly curious as to why they would 'loan out' one of their best Paladins to a church of another God?

Sianne speaks in a rather majestic yet not too loud tone as he looks down on the mere mortals, silently judging them.
    Spoiler
    Show

[roll0] Diplomacy, to act diplomatic and represent the party in a good light.
    [roll1] Sense motive, see what they're up to.
    As you reach the room, and step out of the magical circle, your spread your wings and try to hover obove the ground once more, but its highly uncomfortable, the ceiling its a coal shape... reaching 25ft at the center above the circular table. and only 10ft right by the borders. as you try to catch fly you kind of look clumsy doing so, like a bird trapped in a small box. You quickly return to the ground as you have no room to fly around.
    Sianne, did you notice any villages, to our surroundings?... One of the Knights sitting at the table said...This is the last outpost, in the north, so there is no other trace of civilization near by.... just us.
    Thank your Sir Luken, the female with the golden helm interrupts the knight. and continues The reasons why your order, sent you Sir... are beyond my knowledge, and truly it's non of my business what internal conflicts of opinion, as for if you are indeed one of "the best paladins" your order has to offer, being in probation though... it's not a good presentation statement, for one of the "best".
    But... pay close attention to the opportunity that i present here... and you may prove your worth, not only to your order, but to your self also. This might be the most difficult task that you have faced yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Animidest View Post
    Ansraelus, though visibly irked at the paladin's self-centered speech, decides to remain silent, shifting from foot to foot. He knows that he would be of no help in this situation, besides monitoring the guards and golden-helmeted female telepathically.

Show
    I take it no one (within 30 feet) has "hostile intent"? If anyone does, I'll be the first to know. I also can't be caught flat-footed for the next 100 minutes. Just in case negotiations go south. Very south.
    You don't detect any hostile intents...

Quote Originally Posted by mote View Post
    Sirix leans casually against the wall, letting the paladin do the talking. He makes no apparent signs of casting a spell, but his eyes take on a faint blue glow as he examines the room for any ongoing spells.

Show
    Casting Arcane Sight w/ Silent Spell
    My Conceal Spellcasting trick hides the somatic component with a Sleight of Hand check (vs the Spot of anyone paying attention)
    Sleight of Hand: [roll0]

Just want to make sure no spells are being cast on us

you successfully, conceal your casting ... and see yourself surrounded by magical auras, all around he room. on the walls, floor, the magic circle, every one of your comrades, every single one of the guards, and knights in the tables.

30. - Top - End - #30

The paladin seems rather insecure now that he is not flying, yet his massive wings unfurl anyway, most likely for persuasion purposes.
    No need to add effect. Simply point us in the direction you need us to go. Preferably not straight home. I believe the entire group is listening to your offer.
    He seems quite in a rush to get back into the air, but he continues simply staring down in judgement of the nonbelievers. His face is the essence of boredom, fury and resentment.
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, to try and keep them convinced and lead them on a trail that they think they're gonna win us over. In other words, manipulating.
    (1d20+16)[31]
    Spoiler
    Show