New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Should this creature be included in MitP?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 85.71%
  • No

2 14.29%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Replicant [Creature, MitP]

Replicant
    Size/Type: Small Construct
    Hit Dice: ½d10+10 (12 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
    Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d4-1)
    Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d4-1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Superior tactics
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., replicate
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con –, Int –, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills: –
    Feats: Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, pair, drove (4-15), or mob (see below)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always True Neutral
    Advancement: 1-7 HD (Small), 8-16 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: –

Replicants are strange constructs, built to do little more than reproduce. Originally devised by an artificer planning to build an instant army on the cheap, his plan was foiled by an unforseen complication. Replicants made by other Replicants were less loyal than their progenitors, and their designs were often far inferior to the original. He got his army, but it was of no use. However, for those with somewhat less ambitious goals, Replicants have proven themselves to be useful and, of course, cheap. Replicants have a metallic, spherical body 3 ft. in diameter supported by six spindly legs. Two lense-like eyes and a pair of whirring, clockwork-like mandibles form the Replicant’s “face”.

Superior Tactics (Ex)
    A Replicant gains a +4, rather than +2, bonus on attack rolls made against an enemy flanked by another Replicant.

Replicate (Su)
    Replicants can create other Replicants. Doing so requires a Replicant first gather 50 gp worth of raw iron, though it need not assemble it into a body. The process of creation is erratic when performed by a Replicant, taking 1d4+1 days to complete. Regardless of the HD of the creator Replicant, the created Replicant only has ½ a HD and is completely average for its kind, disregarding any flaws it may have. The newly created Replicant is loyal to the creator of the Replicant that made it, though there is a chance for disobedience. While any hand-built replicant is utterly and mindlessly loyal to its creator, replicant-made replicants, while still serving their creator’s creator, are not so loyal. For every degree of separation between a Replicant and its master, there is a 10% chance it will ignore any order given to it. Thus, a 2nd generation Replicant has a 10% chance to disobey orders, a 7th generation replicant has a 60% chance to disobey orders, and an 11th generation replicant disobeys any order given to it. In addition, there is a chance the new Replicant is imperfectly created. Roll a d% and consult the table to see if this happens and the exact manner of the flaw. In addition to the rolled flaws, any flaws in the creator Replicant are passed down to any Replicant it creates.

{table=head]Number|Result
    1-50|No flaws.
    51-55|Replicant’s Strength is 2 lower than normal.
    56-60|Replicant’s Dexterity is 2 lower than normal.
    61-65|Replicant’s Wisdom is 2 lower than normal.
    66-70|Replicant’s natural armor bonus is 2 lower than normal.
    71-75|Damage die of Replicant’s bite is decreased by one step.
    76-80|Replicant’s base land speed is 10 ft. lower than normal.
    81-85|Replicant lacks superior tactics ability.
    86-90|Replicant lacks Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
    91-95|Replicant has minimum hp for each hit dice.
    96-100|Reroll twice. If another number between 96 and 100 is rolled, reroll it only once.
    [/table]

Creating a Replicant
    The body of a Replicant is made from 25 pounds of iron, worth 25 sp. Assembling the body of the Replicant requires a DC 12 Craft (Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing) check. An Replicant with more than ½ a Hit Dice can be created, but advancing it to 1 HD adds +1,000 gp to the creation cost and each additional HD adds +2,000 gp to the cost to create.

CL 9th. Craft Construct, cat’s grace, fabricate. Cost 302.5 gp + 24 xp. Price 600 gp.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Replicant [Creature, MitP]

this sounds a lot like clockwork horrors.

just my 2 cp
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Damn. Very cool again.

Excellent idea, kind of reminds me of the replicators from Stargate SG-1.

I like the disobeying idea, and sounds like a fun army for some villain with a lot of spare time on his hands, or something to make an artificer in the party actually useful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Aww. I was expecting something out of a sci-fi movie...

Oh, well. Seems kind of interesting for a good infestation-type scenario. The higher-generation ones would be easier to destroy, and of course there would be more of them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    kind of reminds me of the replicators from Stargate SG-1.
    Indeed. Can they combine to make larger versions, I wonder?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I was expecting a buma, or something similar. Finding a replicator is, on the other hand, very interesting.

I very much like the idea. The generational flaws is a wonderful touch.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Bump. Keep voting, people!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Some quick comments.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
    Grapple should be -5 (+0 BAB, -4 size, -1 Strength).

Organization: Solitary, pair, drove (4-15), or mob (see below)
    You say "see below" about the mob, but I don't see anything.

Replicants made by other Replicants were less loyal than their progenitors, and their designs were often far inferior to the original.
    I'm picking this sentence to highlight a small formatting error you've made through the entry. Don't capitalize the name of the creature (unless it's at the beginning of a sentence, of course).

Replicate (Su)
    >>Snippy McSnip Was Here!<<
    Whitespace is your friend. :) Breaking that section up into two or more paragraphs would enhance the readability of the entry.

Creating a Replicant
    ... An Replicant with more than ½ a Hit Dice can be created...
    Small typo - you want "A" not "An."

I know these are pretty basic, but I really like them a lot. I think it would make for a very interesting adventure for 1st or 2nd level PCs to have the bumbling mage in town get into trouble by creating these, and having things go bad from there.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.