New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pieces of Eights - D&D Pirates

I wonder if trying to force and assign the roles has already started to backfire on Maynard. What was point of killing Nicole? My best guess would be to make sure that she had the position of peasant. And Thatch's actions seem to have derailed and enforced the whole plan. Would Aly have invoked Odinam's name if Thatch wasn't there and Maynard wasn't bleeding out? Probably not.

I suppose the obvious question is just where would Aly head off to? Look for Autumn, Grynn and the rest?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

And Morgan is still in the game. Even better, Aly arrives just in time to keep her there.
    Go Team Chaos!

@Lurkmoar: I think Maynard's "mistake" was that he wanted to enforce a lawful outcome of the prophecy and failed to consider that a chaotic interpretation would be just as viable. Most of the roles have at least two ways they can fulfill their fate, but he expected everyone to act his way. I mean sure, the mystic turns, but against whom? Maynard expected the answer to be "the gods of vile" nd didn't expect that it could be "Slaiton Mainard". The criminal makes a example? I'm certain it will happen, but it might be a warning for those that opress others, not those that fight them.

I think the only game piece that is playing the part Maynard expects is Raina and I'm not sure that it will stay this way. (I don't count Nicole Read - Maynard made her fulfill the peasant's role the way he wanted.)
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

So far everything ís going well. Unfortunatly I fear that Morgan's assessment of the "Don't kill anyone" thing is a bit more realistic than Aly's. Well, maybe she will surprise everyone and manage to do it. Alyonubis said nothing about hitting people right?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-10-19 at 06:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154

I'm surprised Morgan is able to walk, let alone even think about fighting someone. But maybe now that her neck is free, her regeneration might kick in. In which case, the Prince might want to run; there won't be much left if Morgan catches him.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic.

So far everything ís going well. Unfortunatly I fear that Morgan's assessment of the "Don't kill anyone" thing is a bit more realistic than Aly's. Well, maybe she will surprise everyone and manage to do it. Alyonubis said nothing about hitting people right?
    Way I see it, she's still tied up, and it's going to take all her energy just to escape. On the other hand Rania may make a play to save Morgan. Or not.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Raina slipped something in Morgan's food? What game is she playing there? Well, considering the adventure is far from over it is possible that she will keep playing her role in a way that goes against Maynard's plan.
    The question is if this counts as part of her two possible futures of if she is going off track with helping Morgan and marrying the prince.
    I guess we will know when this is over.

What I really like is that she can't be blamed for feeding Mary-Ann brains, because the prince did it. Unfortunatly he might find someone else to blame, lke our favorite Gnoll-guards or the cook.

I hope the guy Morgan hit is just knocked out, otherwise she managed to follow Aly's request/instruction for what? six seconds?
    Sure, the attack wasn't intended - she didn't even expect that her powers still work - but I'm not sure Alyonubis would appreciate this distinction.

I could almost feel with the poor Slaiton - no one plays along with his glorious plan. Almost, I dislike his plan and his methods too much to feel real sympathy for him.
    But it made me think: Is it possible that Maynard is controlled by the GM of the campaign? That he is a NPC? I think it makes sense considering he seems to be the Big Bad Lawful Guy of the story.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

New comic.

Raina slipped something in Morgan's food? What game is she playing there? Well, considering the adventure is far from over it is possible that she will keep playing her role in a way that goes against Maynard's plan.
    The question is if this counts as part of her two possible futures of if she is going off track with helping Morgan and marrying the prince.
    I guess we will know when this is over.

What I really like is that she can't be blamed for feeding Mary-Ann brains, because the prince did it. Unfortunatly he might find someone else to blame, lke our favorite Gnoll-guards or the cook.

I hope the guy Morgan hit is just knocked out, otherwise she managed to follow Aly's request/instruction for what? six seconds?
    Sure, the attack wasn't intended - she didn't even expect that her powers still work - but I'm not sure Alyonubis would appreciate this distinction.

I could almost feel with the poor Slaiton - no one plays along with his glorious plan. Almost, I dislike his plan and his methods too much to feel real sympathy for him.
    But it made me think: Is it possible that Maynard is controlled by the GM of the campaign? That he is a NPC? I think it makes sense considering he seems to be the Big Bad Lawful Guy of the story.
    I'm hoping Rania goes further by using her charm powers on the prince and becoming the ipso facto ruler of the country. There's a lot of freedom when you're the one running things.

I don't think the tentacle punch would be enough to kill someone. Maybe in the real world, but not in a high fantasy one.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I'm hoping Rania goes further by using her charm powers on the prince and becoming the ipso facto ruler of the country. There's a lot of freedom when you're the one running things.
    Well, first they have to take care of Maynard. For some reason I doubt he would appreciate if Raina subverts his new order like that.
    But since we all agree already that Slaiton has to die that shouldn't be a problem.
    Manipulate the prince to do what you want, keep your party nearby to help you and /or to keep them each*other on track and everything should be fine.

*I don't trust any member of the party on their own when it Comes to power and beeing corrupted by it. Especially not Morgan.
    I don't think the tentacle punch would be enough to kill someone. Maybe in the real world, but not in a high fantasy one.
    Eh, I'm not that confident when it comes to the durability of random mooks civilians. Those guys are there to provide scenery. And cannonfodder of course.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-10-21 at 12:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've got to hand it to Morgan for her creativity. Thanks to that hydra essence, she's not only untied but also has a sweet fleshy club!

Still gotta hurt though...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This should be fun.
    Morgan armed with a arm versus a bunch of bird-cats. The best plan would be to run and hope that those abominations are confused enough to eat themself.
    Anyway staying on the roofs is a bad idea, Mary Ann should get some distance to the mooks on the ground and then vanish in some alley. If the cat-birds insist on following she can use her arm to distract her.

11. - Top - End - #161

Monday update is up.

I believe that Aly is a wee bit too empathtic to the griffith that's clawing at her. That's just my opinion though. She was spliced with that turtle monster too right?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Monday update is up.

I believe that Aly is a wee bit too empathtic to the griffith that's clawing at her. That's just my opinion though. She was spliced with that turtle monster too right?
    What are you expecting? She is a pacifist healer. She even wants Morgan to Play nice with the guys that want them dead. She even cried and would have chickened out without divine intervention) when she had to mercy kill a dying animal for her first power up. That she needed to save her friends. Of course she is sorry for causing a attacking gryphon temporary discomfort.
    And yes, she has turtle powers (scales protecting her spine, ability to swim and dive longer/better and a breath weapon (steam according to this page).
    I just realized that she used the steam breath a few pages ago to protect Mary-Ann from the fire spells.

13. - Top - End - #163

New comic is up, seems a little early, but who am I to complain?

Morgan and Aly seem to be out of danger, though I imagine they'll probably take some time to recover and plan their next moves.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A double page. Nice.

I just hope Aly is right about he shell reducing the damage. Morgan needs a conscience to keep her on track.
    But the "Thank you, Morgan. For everything." sounds a wee bit ominous.

15. - Top - End - #165

Oof. Might have to wait until Monday to find out if Aly and Morgan are totally okay. I think they'll be alright though. Man, from Maynard little speech he sure knows how to make order a total bummer.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Raina's comment is great. I hope she stays in the story for a while. Sure, Maynard and Tiberius can't execute her for aiding Morgan, not without causing trouble the book might be unable to solve, but accidents happen and wouldn't it be tragic if Lady Isabella dies due to a attack from the Black Powder Kraken or one of her allies?

Maynard's speech sounds like he is going to steer more towrds "evil" in the name of "law". I wonder how many crimes and atrocities Morgan is going to commit and how many "regulations" will be made in the name of a safe and stable society.
    And is he calling Tiberius "kindhearted"? Really? How can he say that without a hint of sarcasm?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Raina's comment is great. I hope she stays in the story for a while. Sure, Maynard and Tiberius can't execute her for aiding Morgan, not without causing trouble the book might be unable to solve, but accidents happen and wouldn't it be tragic if Lady Isabella dies due to a attack from the Black Powder Kraken or one of her allies?

Maynard's speech sounds like he is going to steer more towrds "evil" in the name of "law". I wonder how many crimes and atrocities Morgan is going to commit and how many "regulations" will be made in the name of a safe and stable society.
    And is he calling Tiberius "kindhearted"? Really? How can he say that without a hint of sarcasm?
    I think that might be a sign that they'll push Law a little too far and get an actual rebellion as a result. There is only so much people will put up with if you go too far.

Tiberius is arguably kindhearted. He certainly prioritized civilian safety over recapturing Morgan. He just doesn't value freedom at all.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think that might be a sign that they'll push Law a little too far and get an actual rebellion as a result. There is only so much people will put up with if you go too far.
    Well, that they will take away freedom and rights of their citizens should be obvious and they will most likely take it so far. I'm much more concerned how Morgan will play into these plans. She isn't the kind of person that commits massacres, especially not when Aly or someone else is there to be her conscience, so unless they want to blame any random act of violence and piracy on her - something that would be counterproductive in the long run - they have to stage the crimes they want to blame her for.

Even worse, the way Slayton says that anyone could be working for her makes me think he intents to spread paranoia, to make people spy on eachother. Combined with the book that could work well enough that muttering "The prince's hair looks silly" will be a death sentence.

I wonder how long it will take Maynard to make his "order" worse than the previous situation.
    Not that Morgan's idea of spreading chaos and freedom would necessarily work better - certainly not if she used the book - but I think it would be less easy to subvert.

Tiberius is arguably kindhearted. He certainly prioritized civilian safety over recapturing Morgan. He just doesn't value freedom at all.
    Right, I forget sometimes that lawful isn't the same as evil.
    I still think that he was more concerned about how it would have looked if the attempt to stop the "terrible monster of a criminal" from escaping would have killed more civilians than the escape itself. Not to mention that keeping civilians save is kinda his duty as a prince and that it would hurt the goal of spreading order.
    Lawful folks tend to taking those things rather seriously.

19. - Top - End - #169

New comic is up. Our protagonists live to fight another day!

Now, I hope we find out what happened to a certain wild haired gnome. Been a while since we've seen her.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yay, Alyonubis and Mary-Ann are fine.
    Next steps: regain Aly’s powers, gather all non-Maynard aligned crewmembers, get the ship back and kick Maynard where it hurts.

I’m sure Grynn is fine, didn't Morgan sent her away before Low appeared and everything went wrong? If it didn't went too badly she escaped and even has a ship for Morgan.
    I think if Maynard had her she would have been mentioned.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    How. How did he get out, much less as fast as he had to have swam to make it to Turan as quick as he apparently has. I REALLY hope this one gets explained.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haar View Post
    Show
    How. How did he get out, much less as fast as he had to have swam to make it to Turan as quick as he apparently has. I REALLY hope this one gets explained.
    Well, it has been three or four days since Thatch made his involuntary diving trip and he is undead. I would guess he swam or walked. It's not like he has to pause to eat or sleep.
    Another option is that he summoned some zombies to help him.

Thatch working with Autumn? That should be fun. He is a lich bard who fights fate. She is a were-crow witch that wants to kill him to avange her coven. They commit crime.

Who wants to bet that "Odinam's Blessing" is some form of brainwashing? It would fit Maynard's speech and the way the book works.

A shame that the two redshirts most likely won't appear again - not alive at least.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haar View Post
    Show
    It's a cloth bag, and he doesn't need to breath. Also he has two pointy horns on top of his head. Escaping was never an issue, it just temporarily removed him from the scene.

As for speed, it looks like there has been a bit of a time skip. Long enough for Morgan's escape to become old news and a new law to be drafted with a formal proclamation to be spread around the kingdom.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New questions and answers page.

That is interesting. Especially the what if about the Shot of Chaos between Alyonubis, Thatch and Autumn.
    The way I see it the Shots of Chaos basically do the opposite of what Maynard wants to do in universe.

25. - Top - End - #175

BardGuy

I never thought to look for a thread for this until now. Silly me

I've always been partial to bards. And I like what they've done with Thatch. I'm of the opinion that the coven saw these events coming and allowed themselves to be killed in order to give him enough power to stop it. He may even be a follower of one of the "vile" gods from ages past.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the reason these events were occuring again is that gods of chaos were coming to power and the gods of order use these events to keep themselves in control?
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New update.

Thatch has "lived" through six of these cycles already? That is interesting. Maybe the order Maynard wants to create isn't very stable.
    Additionally there is the fact that Aly clearly did get some form of power from her "dead" goddess. How does that work? And what caused the war that led to a third of the alignments being unrepresented by divine forces?

Does the cycle serve to keep the world going? Does it prevent the return of the deities of chaos? Either way breaking it should lead to interesting times.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Well, it seems Morgan and Aly are enjoying their lifes. Good for them.
    Unfortunately it seems that this is just a dream. Lets hope that their real situation isn't too bad..
    I think they should be more concerned about Maynard, but that's Chaos for you.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

New comic.

Well, it seems Morgan and Aly are enjoying their lifes. Good for them.
    Unfortunately it seems that this is just a dream. Lets hope that their real situation isn't too bad..
    I think they should be more concerned about Maynard, but that's Chaos for you.
    I'm guessing it's a dream. Maybe a normal dream, maybe one of what could've been if Morgan hadn't got so obsessed with vengeance.

Thatch and Rania being there puts it in the 'too good to be true' category.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

The talking skull is ominous again. And creepy.

I'm not sure what he means when he says that Morgan isn't the main character. Is it that there are several "main characters", several People that are important to the prophecy, the "story"? Or is he talking about the fact that the events are part of a cycle and have and will repeated themself?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic up!

It looks like the situation for Morgan and Aly is pretty bad. More than a little worse for Aly though. She looks TERRIBLE!