New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Peebles' Perfectly Pointless Popular Prattle - Random Banter #211

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    @Teddy: It looks like you responded to absolutely ALL of the banter. I saw something you said and wanted to quote on it but then there was so much more...and so much more...I wouldn't know where to trim. It's amazing though. Oh and hi.
    Hehehe, and even then I felt like I didn't have time to answer even half of it.

Also, proof that you did say hi.
    Oh and hi.

In other news, why can't sleeping work normal? I mean, I spend a few days staying up til 5 am with a friend and next thing you know my body can't decide when sleeping is okay or not. Glad I got at least one fairly normal night of sleeping, so today I can actually do things.
    Yeah. For me, it's progressed so far that my body has adjusted to only six hours of sleep, and thus wakes me up early whenever I've had the chance to make an honest attempt at regaining my lost sleep. I'm also operating on but four hours right now, which isn't particulary fun in itself...

Also my cooking ability continues to slowly grow! I am great at making pastas of various sorts now (including stuff not just from a box!) and I got some little creative ideas to try next month. And I made cornbread for the first time and nothing burned, which I see as great for someone who has basically no baking experience.
    Hooray for expanding horizons of culinary creativity!

And for the record, I do still in
    tend to make my YouTube channel. It's just been tough because of the odd sleeping, some little life stuff, and my current headset starting to fail utterly on me. Once that last one is dealt with and I can keep ahold of money long enough to get Pharoah, I shall start. I've also been thinking of trying Town of Salem to start on my channel, and maybe even the computer version of Cards Against Humanity with a couple friends. Such ideas.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Well, I'm not sure I'd compare our rather casual use of algebra and low-level calculus to a farmer planting seeds, as we're being a good deal more careless than any farmer could afford to be.
    \ruthless pedant
    Hehehe...

But yeah, It's easy to forget that other people won't know what I'm talking about when I complain about something in one of my math classes. Or talk about math in general.
    Definitely. For me, it's proceeded to the point where I have problems telling about my everyday plights and highlights, because every story needs to be preceeded by an introductory lecture about compilers. And often even programming. There are only a handful people outside of my class who I even can tell a simple anecdote to, but luckily enough for me, dad is one of those people, so at least my stories aren't completely shut-in.

Wooo! C == superior
    Personally, I think I'd enjoy doing the work in assembly, but I've yet to need to do that, so I couldn't really say for sure.
    C is obsolete, the world just haven't realised that yet. Or as one of my friends put it in the CPython course: "It's not only easy, it's fun also!".

But on a serious note, C, while noteably old (especially if you're forced to stick to the C90 standard), is at least fairly stable as far as programming languages go. And my appreciation for it definitely rose as I had to do my first plunge into C++. My confusion on that front can be easily summarised in two words:

Spoiler
    Show

I wouldn't imagine. And there's plenty of room for errors that have to do with deficiencies in the hardware, on top of all the possible logic errors.
    So you have to account for subpar manifacturing and quality assurance proceedures as well? Fun...

It's also possible we won't need to use floating-point numbers at all, but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.
    What could you possibly do with a microchips which doesn't require fixed/floating point operations? Count sheep?!

I know you talked about this a lot while you were doing it/right after you finished, but what sort of signals were you working with, anyway? I vaguely remember you mentioning audio of some sort, but then again, noise can be used to mean a whole lot more than just sound.
    Correct.

Heh. Yeah, it's pretty hard to completely filter out unwanted signals and still have something useable without pretty specialized hardware. I would think it'd be easier with software, but I suppose there's a lot more you have to take into account when reading in the signal (which is incredibly easy in a hardware system).
    Well, it's not really that hard, but it requires that you take it cool and make sure you have all your numbers at hand. Filters are really just a mathematical function applied to the input and output values to produce the next output, and it's pretty straightforward if you've got the equation down and a script to calculate the correct scalars. However, the mathematical notation for filters isn't entirely obvious (it's to mix up whether a scalar should be negated or not), and there are so many that you'll have a tendency to do a complete mind blank at least once per day...

Does the Black Speech use it, or does that have it? (not that there's a lot of places where that's actually written)
    Yes.

I would suspect she means in Vietnam, rather than the UK. Conversational English classes in England do seem a bit silly, though.
    Well, since she (as far as I understood) got certified in the UK, one would never know...

ION: I don't know why I bothered to show up to class today. Abbott lectured for an hour and a half on file directories and permissions (which are not only extremely simple, but also thoroughly explained in the reading he wanted us to do before this class). I'm pretty sure everyone that qualified for that course is quite familiar with how a slash works, but thanks for telling us anyway.
    For one of my classes last semester, the first lab was to implement Hello World in three different languages. One would think we'd be able to figure that out ourselves when applying for a course on an advanced level.

Given, it was optional and most likely held to help people set up the different compilers on their laptops and make sure that they actually would compile, but when I first saw the instructions, I thought they were kidding me...

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    But Teddy's making a comic too now? Where can I read it?
    All this comic talk is inspiring me to get back into learning how to draw...
    Sadly nowhere (unless shenanigans), because I'm not allowed to share it...

ION:
    We're starting with GPU programming now in one of my parallel programming courses. I'm pretty excited, since GPU programming allows for massive scaling given the right problem layout, and also because graphics cards are cool.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Having been stricken with an insufferable cold, replete with a hideously runny nose, and having spent a few days reading tips for packing and moving lightly across the world and miscellaneous teaching tips I can't be bothered to go through the old thread. I know I'll end up quoting twenty odd people, and my head and fingers just aren't up to Quotestorming a Wall-O'-Text tonight.

So let's iust remember a really old phenomena that maybe half of you, at best, would recognise. If that. Or am I iust ioking when it comes feeling old and out of place.
    It's depressing thinking of the people I used to hang out with here.
    I'll be in a corner thinking about how I've become an old maid before my time, wistfully staring into the past and remarking about things like the Pirates III game down in Structured Games, or AMEN, or the RB where everyone started becoming deified.
    Don't mind me, just deposit the white chocolate and tea at the door; I'll be wrapped in my crocheted blanket, sitting in my rocking chair.
    Listening to K-Pop. And J-Pop. And Vietnamese radio.
    Planning to take over the world.
    With books.
    Ia. Ia. Koorlyshtka f'taghn of older times.

Damn I'm feeling melancholy today! It's not even appropriate weather outside, but I'm doing it anyway. :pout:
    Can't quiiite make up my mind on whether that i-for-j substitution was intentional or only a really well-placed typo...

But yeah, melancholy over times long gone, I know that feeling. Especially since I'm not very good at keeping in touch with old friends, meaning any nostalgia is ripe for such feelings. And even though I still don't consider myself an old one, almost everyone in this thread joined in after me, and realising that can have a strong impact on me. It's not that I don't treasure those who are here now (I really do), but it's easier to remember that which is granted no longer, especially when one is in an unstable mood...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2015-02-06 at 05:53 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't suppose that would make this a bad time to stop in and say hi, would it?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I don't suppose that would make this a bad time to stop in and say hi, would it?

BLURFURGLE.

Hai Mooneh!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    What could you possibly do with a microchips which doesn't require fixed/floating point operations? Count sheep?!

But yeah, melancholy over times long gone, I know that feeling. Especially since I'm not very good at keeping in touch with old friends, meaning any nostalgia is ripe for such feelings. And even though I still don't consider myself an old one, almost everyone in this thread joined in after me, and realising that can have a strong impact on me. It's not that I don't treasure those who are here now (I really do), but it's easier to remember that which is granted no longer, especially when one is in an unstable mood...
    Baaah?

Even I have this feeling now. 2012 join date? 2014?!!?!
    I actually had a nostalgia attack last night. Listening to Civ 3 music was a mistake.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-02-06 at 06:07 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #34

Can't quiiite make up my mind on whether that i-for-j substitution was intentional or only a really well-placed typo...
    Well I did do i-for-j three times in three sentences, two of them were consecutive, so it would have to be some really fortunate typos in that case.
    Though the first time was a typo.

Oh, here's another one: remember when RB's weren't alliterative?

Oh Lord . . .
    Care to join me in the Old Fogey Corner? We have blankets, rocking chairs and an eternally comfortable temperature. Also tea. And chocolate. And biscuits. And chocolate biscuits. And knitting.
    We can reminisce together until we fade away, like shadows in the encroaching night. Forgotten and unnoticed.

EDIT:
    HI MISS MOON! Come to the Old Fogey Corner! Pls and thnkx.
    I hope this new-fangled 'slang' was used correctly. Never have I used such a thing before.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2015-02-06 at 06:04 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The first 5 seasons of MASH are now available for streaming on Netflix. Goodbye, school work. This is not a drill. Goodbye school, goodbye, friends. Goodbye, world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post

BLURFURGLE.

Hai Mooneh!

Edit: Baaah?

I actually had a nostalgia attack last night. Listening to Civ 3 music was a mistake.
    Shh! I never existed!

Pfft, 2012? That was only three years ago. I joined the forum half a decade ago- there's a scary thought. But yes, such nostalgia.

HI MISS MOON! Come to the Old Fogey Corner! Pls and thnkx.
    I hope this new-fangled 'slang' was used correctly. Never have I used such a thing before.
    <huggles> I haven't heard from you in a FOREVER! I watched Prince of Egypt!
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Shh! I never existed!

Pfft, 2012? That was only three years ago. I joined the forum half a decade ago- there's a scary thought. But yes, such nostalgia.

And I joined before you did! But you started posting before I did, so you get seniority. ;)

I still can hardly believe that I knew musicals you didn't. I'm hardly into that sorta stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

8. - Top - End - #38

Shh! I never existed!
    But if this is the case Miss Moon, then to whom was I speaking to a few years ago?

I joined in 2007. That'll be eight years in April. How d'you think I feel? Scared, that's for sure; wondering where the Hell the time went? Yes.

I've been away. Someone died. I became a teacher. I'm preparing to get a job in Vietnam and then move there. Small things y'know?
    AND ISN'T THE PRINCE OF EGYPT SO COOL?! Did you see the animation quality?! Or the songs (well, a few of them are only okay) and the way they respected the source material as much as possible given the constraints of time and medium?
    AND THE ANIMATION!
    Also Jean-Luc Picard as a content, slave-owning genocidal Pharaoh.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no idea.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #40

And I joined before you did! But you started posting before I did, so you get seniority. ;)

I still can hardly believe that I knew musicals you didn't. I'm hardly into that sorta stuff.
    Mutant, I shall always take seniority over you. It doesn't matter if you were to become my teacher and sensei in acrobatic SCUBA-fencing or whatever it is you do, I would still take seniority. That's just how it goes.

I have watched 1776 a stupid number of times since the last time I deigned to talk to you. I have won Knowledge Bowl competitions with trivia I only knew because of that musical.

But if this is the case Miss Moon, then to whom was I speaking to a few years ago?

I joined in 2007. That'll be eight years in April. How d'you think I feel? Scared, that's for sure; wondering where the Hell the time went? Yes.

I've been away. Someone died. I became a teacher. I'm preparing to get a job in Vietnam and then move there. Small things y'know?
    AND ISN'T THE PRINCE OF EGYPT SO COOL?! Did you see the animation quality?! Or the songs (well, a few of them are only okay) and the way they respected the source material as much as possible given the constraints of time and medium?
    AND THE ANIMATION!
    Also Jean-Luc Picard as a content, slave-owning genocidal Pharaoh.
    Angry separatist muskrats, Curly, angry separatist muskrats.

Gods, that's how long I've been reading the comic. That's nearly half my life. <shivers>

I heard you were away. I'm glad to see you though! My grandmother died in November. I now tutor small teenagers in math. I got my first job in France a French restaurant. I'm also preparing to move. To college. Because I am somehow a senior now.

THE ART IS BEAUTIFUL AND MANY OF THE SONGS ARE GOOD. The plot I shan't get into, because duh, but as an art form, eee, sopretty!
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2015-02-06 at 06:30 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Moonie!
    *nallekram*

Edit: Baaah?
    And look, even that wouldn't work. This one is 1.5 sheep!

On a sidenote, I'm amazed by how quickly I've adopted to the new year. I already see 2014 as "long ago last year".

Well I did do i-for-j three times in three sentences, two of them were consecutive, so it would have to be some really fortunate typos in that case.
    Though the first time was a typo.
    "Huh, I can't remember reading any extra 'i's, and I distinctly remember scanning for them..."
    *checks quote*
    "Huh, there they are. Curious..."
    *checks original post*
    *checks timestamps*
    Oh sneaky you.

Oh, here's another one: remember when RB's weren't alliterative?
    I was about to say no, but then I remembered that I joined the thread in CRaERB...

Oh Lord . . .
    Care to join me in the Old Fogey Corner? We have blankets, rocking chairs and an eternally comfortable temperature. Also tea. And chocolate. And biscuits. And chocolate biscuits. And knitting.
    We can reminisce together until we fade away, like shadows in the encroaching night. Forgotten and unnoticed.
    Yes. I can't honestly claim to be without melancholia myself tonight, so corners and blankets sounds good. I don't think I can say forgotten an unnoticed, though. Old ones do fade, but they fade into that great shade of nostalgia for a simpler time bound to haunt the regulars left behind, until they too become old and fade, sustaining the eternal circle of friendship and loss, joy and sorrow.

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Mutant, I shall always take seniority over you. It doesn't matter if you were to become my teacher and sensei in acrobatic SCUBA-fencing or whatever it is you do, I would still take seniority. That's just how it goes.

I have watched 1776 a stupid number of times since the last time I deigned to talk to you. I have won Knowledge Bowl competitions with trivia I only knew because of that musical.

Gods, that's how long I've been reading the comic. That's nearly half my life. <shivers>

I heard you were away. I'm glad to see you though! My grandmother died in November. I now tutor small teenagers in math. I got my first job in France a French restaurant. I'm also preparing to move. To college. Because I am somehow a senior now.

THE ART IS BEAUTIFUL AND MANY OF THE SONGS ARE GOOD. The plot I shan't get into, because duh, but as an art form, eee, sopretty!
    You know, that does sound like more fun than Water Polo.

Yay! I've only seen it thrice.

This. THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Oh my blur where? <college talk because NO ONE IS TIRED OF THIS DISCUSSION>
    *Is actually very tired of telling friends and family about college choice.*

YES THAT. ALL OF THE PRETTY. I still dislike the comedians being the Egyptians, but I can ignore them.

Edit again:
    Moonie!
    *nallekram*

And look, even that wouldn't work. This one is 1.5 sheep!

On a sidenote, I'm amazed by how quickly I've adopted to the new year. I already see 2014 as "long ago last year".

"Huh, I can't remember reading any extra 'i's, and I distinctly remember scanning for them..."
    *checks quote*
    *checks original post*
    *checks timestamps*
    Oh sneaky you.

I was about to say no, but then I remembered that I joined the thread in CRaERB...

Yes. I can't honestly claim to be without melancholia myself tonight, so corners and blankets sounds good. I don't think I can say forgotten an unnoticed, though. Old ones do fade, but they fade into that great shade of nostalgia for a simpler time bound to haunt the regulars left behind, until they too become old and fade, sustaining the eternal circle of friendship and loss, joy and sorrow.
    I just read kram in the funniest voice. I cannot help it.

*shuffles through old files hunting for that avatar. *

I still think its 2013 sometimes. I can write 2015 down on papers fine, but my brain is hardly grasping that it isn't early 2014.

MISCHIEVOUS KORLICA.

Brain broke pronouncing that. Thanks Tedday.

*mumbles about his usual nostalgia just being about playing too much Gamecube and Stronghold 2*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-02-06 at 06:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh hey welcome back. Glad to see you've been doing well.

14. - Top - End - #44

Moonie!
    *nallekram*

GRAH

I want to be a haunting shade! where can I sign up?

You know, that does sound like more fun than Water Polo.

Yay! I've only seen it thrice.

This. THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Oh my blur where? <college talk because NO ONE IS TIRED OF THIS DISCUSSION>
    *Is actually very tired of telling friends and family about college choice.*

YES THAT. ALL OF THE PRETTY. I still dislike the comedians being the Egyptians, but I can ignore them.
    Certainly more effort.

Lessee... I've forced two friends/family members to see it on separate occasions, I watched it once by myself the first time, once again when Netflix sent it and then again on the same night for commentary, and then again on the 4th of July, and I think maybe some other times too though I'm not sure. And of course, literally days of the accumulated clips and soundtracks I've watched for over a year...

Yep.

The second people realize you're a senior, it's like they forget all other lines of conversation aside from what you're doing with your life next. Although I've got to be fair- it's not like I don't bring it up myself all the time because I have personally forgotten every other aspect of my life outside of colleges and suchlike.

Sooo pretty. Also, surprisingly coherent when crossed over with Thor.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2015-02-06 at 06:46 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Edit again:
    I just read kram in the funniest voice. I cannot help it.
    Let me guess, this is going to be a recurring theme...

*shuffles through old files hunting for that avatar. *
    Hehehe...

Brain broke pronouncing that. Thanks Tedday.
    Think "jeorb", but out of "crab" instead. At least, that's what I'm doing.

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely. For me, it's proceeded to the point where I have problems telling about my everyday plights and highlights, because every story needs to be preceeded by an introductory lecture about compilers. And often even programming. There are only a handful people outside of my class who I even can tell a simple anecdote to, but luckily enough for me, dad is one of those people, so at least my stories aren't completely shut-in.
    Yeah, a few times of having to explain large concepts while trying to explain some minutiae that's giving me trouble back home has really made me appreciate having techy roommates. (Physics/CS, and two former engineering students).

C is obsolete, the world just haven't realised that yet. Or as one of my friends put it in the CPython course: "It's not only easy, it's fun also!".

But on a serious note, C, while noteably old (especially if you're forced to stick to the C90 standard), is at least fairly stable as far as programming languages go. And my appreciation for it definitely rose as I had to do my first plunge into C++. My confusion on that front can be easily summarised in two words:

Spoiler
    Show
    So retro...

Yeah, C's really lightweight - there's very little overhead to the language, and I like that. Especially coming from C++.

I laughed way harder at this than I probably should have. I remember getting some really difficult to identify errors when I was learning how to manage all that stuff. Turned out I had left out a line or two out of my copy constructor (I want to say I forgot to allocate new memory somewhere). That took a long time to track down.

So you have to account for subpar manifacturing and quality assurance proceedures as well? Fun...
    Well, more like accounting for the fact that physical connections aren't perfect. Edge-sensitive code for button or switch inputs that needs to take bounce into account, for example.

Digital input, digital output?

Although I've looked through the parts they're lending us for this class and found an accelerometer, so I'm confident we'll be needing floating point operations at least by the time we get around to using those.

Hey, haven't seen you in a while. How's things?
    \refreshes thread, reads further
    Moving away to college, eh? Going far, or staying near home? Or have you not figured out where you're going yet?

--
    Previous thread stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Having a tablet would be fun, I suppose, but I feel I'd be better off getting good at what I have before I invest in something else.
    True. I happen to have a tablet for unrelated reasons, and figured it'd be an interesting medium to dabble in. I can't say I've ever produced anything of noteworthy quality, but it's been fun to use all the same.

It's definitely not my favorite experience. Tried to go to sleep one night at 1, feeling that was relatively sane. Ended up unwillingly staying up until 6:30. Well, travel isn't something I'm capable of other than to a couple towns within a few miles. I'll try the exercise. And maybe get some sleeping medicine. The only reason I got fairly normal sleep last night was needing to go somewhere far enough away that I had to take motion sickness pills (dramamine for those that know meds).

Well I don't make a whole lot. Most of the time it's just hamburger helper but I can also make spaghetti and fettuccine alfredo from scratch now. I mentioned my first making of cornbread there. I can cook burgers, if that counts. Did that mexican burger idea that was told to me and I loved it. I can also do a couple things with eggs. Not a huge list but better than ramen and microwave. I'm sure there's more. I do know how to make stuffed mushrooms, but I haven't gotten the chance to try lately. And Food Network helps my knowledge grow. Well...and Epic Meal Time, though most would argue that I shouldn't get inspired from that. It got me back into a bacon mood. I want to cook the helper next month with a bacon shell over the top somehow. And maybe burgers stuffed with sauteed mushrooms? If that would work it could be fun, I've always liked burgers topped with mushroom.
    True. My sleep schedule generally gets reset on the trip back here from home, which is nice for about a week and then it gets all dicked up again.
    Woo, sedated sleep! Nice with painkillers, horrible with alcohol. I don’t think I remember ever using Dramamine, but I know it makes you drowsy. Did it leave you well-rested, or did you still feel like crap when you woke up?

Well, you make a lot more than I do, anyway. I do all my cooking at work and generally don’t care enough to do it at home.
    And yes, burgers count. I wish we had a grill here; then I could make some stuff.

I tend to like putting them in dungeons as an alternative to constant battles and trap areas. But they get completed pretty easily. But I'm steadily getting a little better. It's less puzzle or riddle, and more trial-and-error challenges with little error. A mystery? Part of the reason I haven't ran Call of Cthulhu yet, I try to put a mystery together and then just confused myself. Yeah...I'm bad with those too.

Also wow there are people quoting a lot. x.x SO many conversational things.
    I find traditional puzzles are a little hard to do, because people either get them or they don’t… not that I haven’t used them before, but sparingly. My favorites are obstacles that aren’t necessarily combat where there is no right answer, per se, just many different manners of approaching it. Like a chasm, for example – do they climb down and back up the other side? Do they fly over? Do they jump? Look for another way around? Simple “puzzles” like that are fun on the DM side of the screen, because you get to watch the players come up with stuff on their own.

\grumbles about various things tangentially

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I'm confused by how there's a they that's tedious. To my recollection, the limit definition of a derivative is one thing. You learn it and then you're done with it and maybe something related is on an exam. I guess there were other things involving limits possibly. Also the most tedious thing was definitely the module of financial maths I had to do in first year, though admittedly that was partly because it was taught by the most boring lecturer.
    It’s a lot of work for incredibly boring results. There is no situation I can think of where I’d want to use that method instead of proper calculus shortcuts. Having to spend time studying for it on a test at all is more than annoying enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    This is true and I am also used to copy protection puzzles. And I am used to cheating copy protection puzzles. because you are not supposed to be able to rhink those thought on your own.

I am getting smoked with solder smoke for your amusement. It never went up my nose until you said it could. And then right the very next time I used it, smoke up my nose. Prop 65 Known to the State of California to cause cancer or reproductive harm smoke. Tea auctions will be safer.
    Copy protection puzzles? What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    I don't know what hallucinogens brought us Tommy but I am glad they're no longer chic.
    Knowing Townshend's history, I would suspect alcohol before hallucinogens... and all the hallucinogens I would suggest are still quite common.
    A few odds and ends.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Certainly more effort.

Lessee... I've forced two friends/family members to see it on separate occasions, I watched it once by myself the first time, once again when Netflix sent it and then again on the same night for commentary, and then again on the 4th of July, and I think maybe some other times too though I'm not sure. And of course, literally days of the accumulated clips and soundtracks I've watched for over a year...

Yep.

The second people realize you're a senior, it's like they forget all other lines of conversation aside from what you're doing with your life next. Although I've got to be fair- it's not like I don't bring it up myself all the time because I have personally forgotten every other aspect of my life outside of colleges and suchlike.

But me and effort go together like me and doing work. Which is to say, not well.

Well counting soundclips and just songs... I'd bump me up to 5-7 range. Mollasses and Rum waaaaaaay too much, myself.

I "yup" your "yup".

I avoid it desperately, which probably gives it away that it'll make me squirm.

Still haven't seen Thor or Thor 2. Cue the riot.
    Let me guess, this is going to be a recurring theme...

Hehehe...

Think "jeorb", but out of "crab" instead. At least, that's what I'm doing.
    My mind's been leaning towards it being one of those responses you get when you select a unit in Civ or Total War. But said very quickly.

It's on Ipad somewhere, I know that. I will find it.

And you think I can pronounce jeorb? Besides je-orb, I mean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

18. - Top - End - #48

Hey, haven't seen you in a while. How's things?
    \refreshes thread, reads further
    Moving away to college, eh? Going far, or staying near home? Or have you not figured out where you're going yet?
    Exhausting.

I... applied to many types and places of schools. Seventeen, in fact. I have no idea what I am doing.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Exhausting.

I... applied to many types and places of schools. Seventeen, in fact. I have no idea what I am doing.
    You clearly do, since you're applying to so many schools. Casting a wide net is the correct thing to do.

20. - Top - End - #50

But me and effort go together like me and doing work. Which is to say, not well.

Well counting soundclips and just songs... I'd bump me up to 5-7 range. Mollasses and Rum waaaaaaay too much, myself.

I "yup" your "yup".

I avoid it desperately, which probably gives it away that it'll make me squirm.

Still haven't seen Thor or Thor 2. Cue the riot.
    Terribly, as a matter of fact.

Oh gods, Molasses to Rum. John Cullum. Why you remind me of this?

Ayep.

I still haven't seen Thor 2. I have barely seen any movies this year. Did Thor 2 even come out this past year? I cna't remember anymore.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

I still haven't seen Thor 2. I have barely seen any movies this year. Did Thor 2 even come out this past year? I cna't remember anymore.
    Naw, it came out 2013.

22. - Top - End - #52

*checks quote*
    *checks original post*
    *checks timestamps*
    Oh sneaky you.
    I would like to point out that I edited only to reply to Miss Moon. You iust missed the i/'j's

I know.

Do you want a fleecey blanket, a woolly blanket or a crocheted one? There's hot chocolate as well if that takes your fancy.
    And we're all just feeling poetically wistful today aren't we? Literally.

Angry separatist muskrats, Curly, angry separatist muskrats.
    *doesn't know what a muskrat is*
    So how have I been talking to them? Or are everyone - is everyone? - angry separatist muskrats masquerading under multiple alts?

Don't worry, in time you will age, and no longer will you find your life marked so clearly and evenly by a webcomic. Eventually it's be "I can barely remember a time when I didn't read this webcomic." And then you will feel old in an entirely new way.

Likewise my 'ansum.
    Sorry about your grandmother. *hugs*
    Oh wow, mathematics teaching, you're a scarily smart Miss Moon. How are the tiny teenagers treating you?
    *high fives*
    'Grats on the job! How's it treating you? Good tips? Free food of an evening?
    Dude. My little Miss Moon's a senior getting ready for college (US). Where did the time go?! Any idea what and where you want to study and go?

I know! The sand is so pretty. About the only time I've seen prettier sand in a non-live action/real life situation is in the game Journey. And the statuary. And the scene with the Angel of Death! Or the Parting of the Red Sea!
    We shall agree to gloss over the specifics of plot and accuracy because Religion is Multi-faceted, Highly Personal and Also Verbatim on this forum. But isn't the relationship between Rameses II and Moses really good? I like the decision to turn them into siblings, makes it more emotional.

Yep.

[...]

I endorse the encouragement of people to watch The Prince of Egypt; it's still surprisingly underrated.
    And has someone been watching AMV mashups where they turn 'All I Ever Wanted' and 'The Plagues' into theme songs for Loki and/or Thor?
    Because, hey, they work eerily well.
    So . . .which songs and instrumentals have you been listening to the most?

Eh, the UK doesn't really have that much of a line of demarcation. I suppose there's pre-uni, uni and post-uni, but that's about it. Fairly standard, and probably the questions about future intent are just the standard things.
    Don't know what to talk about?
    Bring out the college interrogation!
    *interrogates about music*
    You are/were involved in something musical right? Or am I hallucinating and misremembering? Oh GOd, it's been too long.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

23. - Top - End - #53

I know! The sand is so pretty. About the only time I've seen prettier sand in a non-live action/real life situation is in the game Journey. And the statuary. And the scene with the Angel of Death! Or the Parting of the Red Sea!
    We shall agree to gloss over the specifics of plot and accuracy because Religion is Multi-faceted, Highly Personal and Also Verbatim on this forum. But isn't the relationship between Rameses II and Moses really good? I like the decision to turn them into siblings, makes it more emotional.
    Pretty sure that's not a fabrication of the animated version. The live action version had that plot point too. As did the book it's sourced from I think...I might just be remembering incorrectly though!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Exhausting.

I did... 4-7? I think 6, can't remember. Still have some to do. Did one just today.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You clearly do, since you're applying to so many schools. Casting a wide net is the correct thing to do.
    17 is wider than most I know. Not all, I know some folks who went up past 20, but still. That is alot of forms and essays, even assuming Common app on half of em.

Terribly, as a matter of fact.

Oh gods, Molasses to Rum. John Cullum. Why you remind me of this?

Ayep.

Actively repel each other?

Because I AM EVIL. EVEEEEEEEEL. *is mixing Mermaid Man with Invader Zim, now*

Eeyup.

I saw the Hobbit 3. IT WAS A MISTAKE.

@Sibling thing, I think Curly meant making there be a sibling relationship. Doesn't really get mentioned with Charleton Heston (THE GREATEST ACTOR), or as far as I know the source.

Haaaai Kurlica. I SAY HI AT U. On the blanket, I'm going to preempt the Shear Mutant joke. Bam. Pre empted.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-02-06 at 07:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

25. - Top - End - #55

Pretty sure that's not a fabrication of the animated version. The live action version had that plot point too. As did the book it's sourced from I think...I might just be remembering incorrectly though!
    Uncle and nephew in the Bible, that's for certain; I'm about eighty-five percent certain the Ten Commandments film kept them as uncle and nephew. Possibly cousin.
    I'm not entirely sure any more actually . . .

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh shush, you. The movie was fine.

Did it follow the book? Technically. Were there absolutely ridiculous, bordering on immersion-breaking parts? Most definitely (I'm looking at you, slo-mo Legolas). Was it a bad movie? Absolutely not.

It was cinematic in a way the book wasn't, which, I think, is important for a movie. I certainly would've preferred it followed the book (being the purist that I am), but it was by no means bad for straying from that path for artistic purposes.

It's not like Tolkien's around to complain about it, anyway.

\endrant
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-02-06 at 07:15 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #57

Uncle and nephew in the Bible, that's for certain; I'm about eighty-five percent certain the Ten Commandments film kept them as uncle and nephew. Possibly cousin.
    I'm not entirely sure any more actually . . .
    I meant the live action version of The Prince of Egypt. I forget if it's called that or something different, so I don't actually know if I'm talking about the same think you're talking about.

So it looks like we're both confused. Good job me

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

I meant the live action version of The Prince of Egypt. I forget if it's called that or something different, so I don't actually know if I'm talking about the same think you're talking about.

So it looks like we're both confused. Good job me
    Yes, your obfucscatingey powers of not knowing what film CHARLETON HESTON, THE GREATEST ACTOR was in is confusing.

(Calling it the live action version broke my brain. It is a good couple decades older, Prince is the animated version and even that is inaccurate, since theyre both film adaptations of something else blur blur Sheep is wrong about this too.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

29. - Top - End - #59

Well, no, not really. I mean, it doesn't harm, unless the costs of application, score-sending, CSS, and IDOC sending aren't something your family can take, but applying to this many means I have no idea where I want to go or what I'm planning. That's not a sign of knowing what I'm doing, that's a sign of having no definite plan.

*doesn't know what a muskrat is*
    So how have I been talking to them? Or are everyone - is everyone? - angry separatist muskrats masquerading under multiple alts?

Don't worry, in time you will age, and no longer will you find your life marked so clearly and evenly by a webcomic. Eventually it's be "I can barely remember a time when I didn't read this webcomic." And then you will feel old in an entirely new way.

Likewise my 'ansum.
    Sorry about your grandmother. *hugs*
    Oh wow, mathematics teaching, you're a scarily smart Miss Moon. How are the tiny teenagers treating you?
    *high fives*
    'Grats on the job! How's it treating you? Good tips? Free food of an evening?
    Dude. My little Miss Moon's a senior getting ready for college (US). Where did the time go?! Any idea what and where you want to study and go?

I endorse the encouragement of people to watch The Prince of Egypt; it's still surprisingly underrated.
    And has someone been watching AMV mashups where they turn 'All I Ever Wanted' and 'The Plagues' into theme songs for Loki and/or Thor?
    Because, hey, they work eerily well.
    So . . .which songs and instrumentals have you been listening to the most?

Eh, the UK doesn't really have that much of a line of demarcation. I suppose there's pre-uni, uni and post-uni, but that's about it. Fairly standard, and probably the questions about future intent are just the standard things.
    Don't know what to talk about?
    Bring out the college interrogation!
    *interrogates about music*
    You are/were involved in something musical right? Or am I hallucinating and misremembering? Oh GOd, it's been too long.
    Classified information, ma'am.

Uuugghhh. I am not ready to feel old. I am bloody well still sixteen and looked upon as tiny and young by virtually everyone in the world, HOW CAN I FEEL OLD.

Thanks. As usual in my family, hijinks ensued. A religious figure had to be bribed by my father and someone resigned due to politics surrounding where she'd be buried.
    I just teach Algebra 1, so it's very basic. (If you really wanna be wowed by my mathiness, I just got back my penultimate report card, and I apparently got an A- in AP Calculus. ) As for how they're treating me, it's all pretty good, the worst part is just the fact that I tutor four days out of the week and I have extracurriculars/community college on all of those days as well.
    I actually just finished up tutoring this one kid (ergo my gap in responding for an hourish) who is thirteen and towers over me like a... fast-growing person thing. So unfair.
    The job... I like having money! I dislike many of my employer's practices, including one that is definitely illegal that I haven't yet had the guts to confront her about. (Don't worry, it's not a food safety issue, she just has weird ideas regarding what hours constitute as ones I get paid for.) The tips aren't much, but it's more money than I've ever had before in my life, and I'm still living at home, so it should be a good head start when I do leave. As for food, I tend to eat the cafe's pastries more often than I get evening food.

... I wanted to go to CAMBRIDGE!
    However, because I can't get student loans for international schools and I could literally get a degree in the time it would take for me to establish residency in the UK with my Dutch citizenship, I didn't even bother applying. So I'm just applying to places I know of as being good, plus some prestigious ones because they actually are more affordable due to ginormous endowments. I've been telling everywhere I apply that I wanna do Anthropology or Linguistics. I think. Maybe. I have no idea anymore.

The scene with the final plague or whatever it is called. So haunting! So beautiful. And yes, everything about their brotherhoodship I love/cry about. I just feel so much for Ramses II. Also, don't you mean Verboten?

The Plagues/Let my People Go, Through Heaven's Eyes, and Deliver Us. With All I ever Wanted being one I'd listen too evne more if I could find a good clip. And yes, so so so much Thor and Loki there.

Yes, I am all musically. Although I haven't been in anything drama-related for years now, excluding my improv troupe and a musical summer camp this past July I did put on by one of Seattle's awesome theatres. Oh, and Mock Trial. I got nominated for Best Witness statewide last year!

Soooo long.

I did... 4-7? I think 6, can't remember. Still have some to do. Did one just today.

17 is wider than most I know. Not all, I know some folks who went up past 20, but still. That is alot of forms and essays, even assuming Common app on half of em.

Actively repel each other?

Because I AM EVIL. EVEEEEEEEEL. *is mixing Mermaid Man with Invader Zim, now*

Eeyup.

I get guilt every time I see the emails I'm still getting from places with later or extended deadlines. Like I'm failing them by not applying.

Yes.

SHUT UP YOU.
    I actually really loved the third Hobbit movie. I felt it was far better paced than any of the others, and I appreciated that balance between emotional scenes and actually interesting-for-once fights scenes. Although Legolas was just pure narm. Also, I think the beginning in Laketown cutting to the survivors was probably the best depiction of the ravages of some huge (super)natural disaster I've ever seen in a movie. Especially in fantasy, so so often just glosses over the common folk's reaction to terrible events.

Oh shush, you. The movie was fine.

Did it follow the book? Technically. Were there absolutely ridiculous, bordering on immersion-breaking parts? Most definitely (I'm looking at you, slo-mo Legolas). Was it a bad movie? Absolutely not.

It was cinematic in a way the book wasn't, which, I think, is important for a movie. I certainly would've preferred it followed the book (being the purist that I am), but it was by no means bad for straying from that path for artistic purposes.

It's not like Tolkien's around to complain about it, anyway.

\endrant
    LEGOOOAAASSSS. Yeah, his bit was... Well, I enjoyed it just for the hilarity, but I can't say I approve.

I think the book as it was would have been quite hard to make into a good movie, and given that the Hobbit did have to stand alongside the LotR series despite even Tolkien stating that making the Hobbit work with the series made it "no longer the Hobbit," I do think it should get more credit than it does for having made those changes in a reasonably good way. I'm honestly one of the least conservative fans of the books, and I'll even defend the Hobbit having been more than one movie to include information from the Silmarillion and appendices in order to properly set up the LotR movies. (Though I will say that given the extent of filler and painfully long fight scenes we endured in the first two films, three was definitely not necessary.)
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what's really pointless? Dimension negative-one.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.