A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default AVB - The Streets of Aldhaven - The Plaza

Aldhaven City Streets

One of the main thoroughfares of Aldhaven is Mastiff's Road. It is currently filled with all manner of people, though few seem to stand out to you. The Plaza, arguably the center of the city, sits right in the center of the flow of life through the city, where Midtown meets Old Town. To the north is Old Town and the Nobles' Quarter; to the south and east is The Market. Guildsmen District, to the northeast, is where most of the hard work of the city is done; to the west is the Temple District and Mages' Quarter. Far to the north, on the other side of the river, is The Docks and a clustering of housing for the poor which can be described only as Slums.

Here you stand in the heart of the city, watching people come and go, functioning as the very lifeblood of the city. The most prominent building in the area is a three-story inn named The Sad Flint. It is known as the place to be for relaxing adventurers and those seeking a good story, a good drink, or a good night's rest. Across the Plaza from The Sad Flint is Ezekiel's Supplies, one of two major suppliers of adventuring and exploration gear in the city. Numerous other shops line the sides of The Plaza, including a music shop named The Howling Song, Jim Juweliers's Gem Jewelry, Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos, Sendungen Imports, Ranuna's Superior Toppers, and numerous other shops and merchant carts.

The center of the Plaza is kept mostly clear of vendors, the few legal locations for mobile stalls fiercely fought over by small vendors, each jockeying for position and claiming the best prices in town. In the center of it all is a large fountain, topped by a statue of King Alben Rosen, fair and just ruler of Aldhaven, who now lies sick and dying... or so the rumors go.

There is a pair of bored-looking city guards near the fountain lazily keeping an eye on the goings-on within the plaza. They are there to keep the peace, which seems rather quiet for now, although a fair amount of traffic exists.

Useful Public Threads
    Recruiting Thread, for when you need to roll a new character.
    AVB Out of Character Thread, for all your chatting, alliance making, and plotting needs. (Approved players only, please.)
    Aldhaven City Map (in progress) very rough district map
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-09-10 at 03:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - The Streets of Aldhaven - The Plaza

The Town Crier

The most up to date news in the city!

Announcement: King Alben Rosen has announced the engagement of Isolde Rosen, his only child, to Archduke Wolfram Rocholl, the heir designate to Aldhaven! Festival to commence two months from this date!

Rumor: Rumors of King Alben's failing health seem to be gathering strength, though the royal family continues to deny them. He has made no public appearances since the announcement of his daughter's engagement.

Rumor: A gnomish dignitary has recently entered the city to begin negotiations of an alliance between the gnomish nation and the Kingdom of Aldhaven. A rumor has it that someone is offering 1,000,000gp for his assassination if done prior to the signing of the treaty.

Open Opportunity: Registration for the next semester at the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica begins immediately.

Job Offer: Wealthy noble has posted a large reward for the return of his beloved daughter's missing cat. (update) Those who attempt and fail this quest or return with the wrong cat will be dealt with harshly. Shysters are decidedly not welcome.

Rumor: Reports of missing persons in Old Town have increased. It is believed some sort of evil cult is at work in the area.

Job Offer: A minor noble's home continues to be under some sort of befuddling curse that seems resistant to normal means of removal. He's now offering a 10,000gp reward to the person or persons who can rid his home of the enchantment.

Announcement: The Tallest Spire! The Royal University of Scientific Esoterica's biennial climbing event! Test your strength and skill! Fabulous prizes! Become the Spirehawk!

Spoiler: Town Crier Types
    Show
    Announcement: This is a purely informational entry. Announcements are usually tied to some large scale ongoing story within the city and may or may nor have events or quests tied to them.

Rumor: This is a widely spread rumor. Whether or not it is true is uncertain, and the specific terms are unknown. Finding out more will take significant effort of one kind or another.

Open Opportunity: This is an opportunity which multiple players may claim and may or may not be time sensitive. In short, a quest which doesn't end once completed.

Job Offer: This is essentially a quest. A character will usually have to pass some sort of preliminary screening to acquire a particular job. Should more than one player acquire a specific job, only the first player to complete the quest will receive the reward.

Spoiler: Completed/Expired Entries
    Show

Open Opportunity: Spies from the Empire of Seven Dragons have been caught! Reward for information leading to the arrest of any of their co-conspirators.
    The City Watch has retracted this offer after no new information has been discovered after quite some time. It seems the captured spies were, in all likelihood, working with contacts outside the city or the contacts have already fled.

Rumor: Rumors have begun circulating that ancient ruins have been found buried just outside of the city walls. The farmer who owns the land is allowing people to pay a small fee to enter into them and keep whatever relics they can recover. Two enterprising adventurers cleared out the area, disabled all the traps, and demolished the dangerous places. The farmer is now using the entry hall as a root cellar.

Job Offer: Individual or team of strong character and sharp mind needed to recover stolen item. Inquire of Islabera at Sendungen Imports!This posting has been removed, but no further information has been given to the crier when asked.

Last edited by Rizban; 2015-12-11 at 02:10 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Character Obituaries

Aeirthir - Thought running up and punching a dragon in the face was a good idea.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2016-02-02 at 09:26 PM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A smartly clothes young man enters the plaza. His fashionable clothes make a sorry contrast with the man's grey face. Clearly, he is either ill, has just seen some kind of horror. It is Scrillio, a simple, young resident of Aldhaven, who has just lost his house and family.

........ The silence drums in Scrillio's had as his legs slowly carry him towards the Sad Flint.

Why ... why me ... what did we ever do to the anybody. We were just living our lives, on now they are probably dead! I've got nothing left but some of my father's stuff.

He walks on, avoid looking at the towncrier. It would only remind him of his father. Next, he enters the Sad Flint and takes a look around.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moranica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    A smartly clothes young man enters the plaza. His fashionable clothes make a sorry contrast with the man's grey face. Clearly, he is either ill, has just seen some kind of horror. It is Scrillio, a simple, young resident of Aldhaven, who has just lost his house and family.

........ The silence drums in Scrillio's had as his legs slowly carry him towards the Sad Flint.

Why ... why me ... what did we ever do to the anybody. We were just living our lives, on now they are probably dead! I've got nothing left but some of my father's stuff.

He walks on, avoid looking at the towncrier. It would only remind him of his father. Next, he enters the Sad Flint and takes a look around.
    The Sad Flint is just as it always is, seemingly unchanging but never quite the same. The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Walking into the plaza from the direction of the main gates is a tall human woman dressed for long-distance travel. Standing near the edge of the plaza for a minute, she listened with interest to to what the Crier had to say.

Turning to her small collection of traveling companions, Abeline Pahlen, semi-exiled Brunsgrove gentlewoman, says lightly "Well, at the very least it seems there will be no shortage of opportunity and work while we become settled."

Gesturing to the inn, she continues "I suppose we should arrange some short-term lodgings before attempting anything else?", before beginning to walk towards the Sad Flint.
    Last edited by St.Just; 2015-02-06 at 07:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Slowly, Scrillio moves over to the bar and let's out a big sigh, before ordering a good beer.

"Good day, sir, could you poor me some of your finest draught. Anything up to 5 goldpieces worth will do. My father always said this was a place to start, if you need a drink, lodgings or information at least. I could use all three."

"As to the information, someone I know, named Scribly, used to frequent this place in his younger years. Now, trouble has found him, and I think it may have something to do with those years. Do you remember him, perhaps?"
    Last edited by Moranica; 2015-02-06 at 07:09 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The other woman standing in the Plaza simply nods slowly to Abeline. Tall and willowy, her long dark hair lies loose around her shoulders, accentuating her grey eyes. In fact, she could be Abeline's twin. Her cloth is somewhat poor, having seen some wear on the road, but she's also garbed in a fine looking cloak. Her eyes wander past the vendors and job opportunities, to the statue of the man at the heart of Aldhaven. So it is him. Astari studies the old king's features with a voracious intensity, before turning away.

"The Sad Flint? A wise idea, to be sure." Her gaze follows the well-dressed, sad looking fellow as he walks inside. At least they'll have some company, however morose. After listening to all of the notifications once, the shorter woman moves towards the inn.

Once inside, she nods to the sad looking man [Scrillio], and hails him over. "I'm guessing you're new in town too?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-02-06 at 08:11 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground

Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)

Loser of Total War: The Final Hanrui (Elda Hafnar)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Scrillio looks up in surprise.

"Excuse me? ... Oh, you are talking to me."

He turns around to face the stranger.

"I am not new here, actually. I grew up here, in a lesser part of the town."

He then eyes up the stranger. "So I guess, you are new here then? What brings you here?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a seat at the bar next to the man, Astari does her best interpretation of a smile. She orders a cup of fine mulled wine and puts down a few [3] gold pieces down on the wooden bar.

"I've been here before, a long time ago. But I was quite little and don't remember much as a result." Not to mention that Nevitash kept her from seeing anything interesting. The news that the stranger is in fact local comes as somewhat of a surprise.

"You're from around here? I thought this was a traveler's inn. Or am I in the wrong place?" She hasn't answered his last question.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-02-06 at 08:07 AM.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"HA! You've got a sharp eye, my dear stranger", Scrillio laughs with a sour smile.

"This place is frequented by all manner of people. But you are correct. While I am local, I will be renting a room here. It's nice to know to have a roof over ones head, isn't it?"

"The city itself hasn't changed much, I think. So what brings you back to Aldhaven then? Got homesick?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Nodding to Astari as she went off to talk with the young man, Abeline entered the Flint herself. Walking to the bar, she caught the attention of the half-giant behind it. "If you'll excuse me sir? I believe this is the place to ask about obtaining lodgings for a time?

After a moments pause, she continued as an afterthought, pulling out her coin pouch as she did so.

"..And I wonder if you know of any particularly interesting work I might seek to take up around here?"
    Last edited by St.Just; 2015-02-06 at 08:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"Excellent, the word of a local means a great deal. I suppose that means I will be renting here as well." Astari pauses slightly at the stranger's continued questions.

"Not really. I haven't been home in quite some time." Another evasion on her part, but she realizes that eventually the man will grow suspicious. She has to say something.

"I'm actually here to save someone. Any more than that would be giving too much away." She flashes a more genuine smile at the man this time.

"I realize we've been talking, and I don't even know your name. I'm Astari, pleased to make your acquaintance."
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Welcome back in Aldhaven, Astari. My name is Scrillio. I guess I'll be seeing you around here then. May the gods smile upon you in your travels."
    Then, Scrillio turns back to his beer and sobsbing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

As Scrillio turns away, Astari pauses again. "I... I'll see you."

He's clearly possessed by something, deep and dark and not really her business. For a moment, she's tempted to ask. But if it were her, she wouldn't appreciate a stranger poking in where they don't belong. No, better to just leave it alone. They're both staying at this inn, after all. Maybe I'll ask Vraskis to go check on him in a little while, if he's still here.

Her conversation with Scrillio apparently at an end, Astari moves away. Where is that server with her wine? She perks up when she sees Abeline inquiring after a place to stay, and a job. It was their initial plan, after all, and she's glad to see her companion be so proactive. From the bar, Astari waits and listens.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

A tall, prim, refined-looking woman in priestly garb saunters slowly into the town square, careful to keep her distance from the small group ahead of her. I'll hang back for now. The others will already be drawing enough attention as is. Then, watching Astari converse with a young man as they enter the inn, she sighs. At least she could learn something useful.

Clearing her throat, the priestess looks around for someone who seems familiar with the city. She has so many questions, after all.
    Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2015-02-06 at 10:45 AM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A short tanned halfling in traveling garb pushes his way through the crowd, his long black hair pulled back into a ponytail at the nape of his neck pulled away from his face letting his curious hazelnut eyes comb the square. As he is looking around the plaza he spots the Sad Flint inn and starts to walk over.

As he enters the bar he spots Astari and Abeline in the crowd and weaves through the crowd to make his way to Astari and says "Hey there. Sorry I took so long, the crowds are not the best to try and get through." He looks ruefully up at the people around the bar, some of which are almost twice the halflings height. "So did I miss anything? Whats Abeline doing over at the bar?" He looks over at the women at the bar trying to see what she was doing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"By the looks of things, she's going to try and get us our first job. I've never stayed here before, but based on the crier outside and the volume of people around the Plaza, I'm guessing an inn at the heart of the city is a good place to look for work." It's something they need. Astari watches Regis. Nothing gets by the halfling - it's one of the reasons she trusts him.

One announcement in particular did catch her eye, however. It's a good option if Abeline can't find anything right away. In fact, it's actually a good option either way.

"For now, I'm waiting to see how it plays out. Fancy a drink?"
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Regis grabs a recently vacated stool and pulls it up beside Astari then hops up onto the stool "Ya I could go for a drink." Regis tries to signal the server to bring him a drink. "Well I don't know about you but I could use a job right now. I hope Abeline finds an interesting one! Regis says the last bit with relish.

Regis taping his fingers against his thigh in a rapid tempo is the only indicator that the calm halfling is a little excited. The halfling takes a deep breath and stops the finger tapping, calming down and relaxing in his seat, just waiting for his drink.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ferra's eye's scan the crowd as she takes in the plaza, watching various people come and go.Her green eye catches Abeline and Astari walking into the Sad Flint. She delays, keeping a healthy distance from everyone, though given the activity in the crowd this proves a difficult task. Still not used to this body, after all this time she absently thinks to herself.

Entering the inn, she glances at Abeline making conversation with the bartender. Ferra acknowledges the presence of Astari and Regis with a curt nod, stalking to the back of the barroom. Best not to drink anything, Ferra thinks to herself I am after all underage an uncomfortable, forced, smile flutters across her face at the thought before disappearing just as quickly. Besides, the shaper will have her answers, she always does.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2015-02-07 at 01:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Eve walks into the Sad Flint, following one of the patrons, who opened the door to enter himself. Having heard the latest announcements from the crier, she decided to come in for some free food. Sadly no one is eating any meat, but she knew how to be cute enough to warrant ordering some.

Picking a table which seems to have relatively well off occupants, she walks up to Astari.

Meow? Meow? Mewwww?
    A cat paws at her boot, looking hopeful. The red bow she is wearing makes it seems exceedingly mean to ignore something so cute.
    Last edited by Renen; 2015-02-07 at 04:28 PM.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

As Ferra enters the Sad Flint and nods in her direction, Astari stares pointedly ahead. She won't be offended - the whole point of this was to stay anonymous. The server still hasn't come with her wine, and she allows her face to settle into a slight frown. It's not like the alcohol is a necessity by any means, but it would be nice.

Suddenly, she feels another presence nearby. Looking down, she sees something strange. A cat...? Why is there a cat in here? The animal is looking at her with an unusual intensity, and she recognizes some semblance of intelligence in its eyes. It might not even be a real cat. Nonetheless, better not to take any chances. Using only her mind, she addresses the dark psicrystal safety tucked away in her knapsack: Nightblood.

If you wouldn't mind politely telling it that we don't have any food or favors to bestow, that would be wonderful.

You know that I detest felines on principle. Besides, my initial scans are reading that its type and intelligence are actually more sophisticated than that of an animal. Roughly speaking, it has an intellect nearly on par with yours.

Really? Interesting. Just in case it somehow doesn't understand the common tongue, would you convey the message regardless?

I live to serve, your majesty.
    She can practically hear the smugness of the psicrystal as he opens a telepathic line of communication with the cat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    My psicrystal has Mindsight with a radius of 30 ft, so it knows the Intelligence score and type of everything that has a mind in that radius. Telepathic speech allows him to speak with anything that has a language within the same area, hence the message.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-02-07 at 07:34 PM.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sometime near dusk, a tired, young, red-haired woman enters the Sad Flint, doffing her hat. She wears a traveling cloak over a rough woolen tunic, seems absorbed in private contemplation, and her clothes are a bit wet, even though it hasn't rained all day. A sabre hangs at her waist.

She proceeds directly to the counter, and greets the barkeep, holding her hat by the brim in both hands. "I would like a room for the night," she requests. "And maybe a drink. Are you full up yet?"

Renen
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the cat is still there, it knows: The woman who just entered the Flint is wearing boots and a skirt that bear the unmistakable scent of fresh blood. She herself also reeks of at least a few other large animals.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2015-02-08 at 01:05 AM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

As the psicrystal established the link, it heard the cat asking for foot.
    Meeeeat? Food?
    As the cat realised it was greatly disliked, she moved on to the next possible feeder.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The crystal can tell that the cat's intelligence roughly matches it's master's, if not exceeding it. But the cat is thinking something a non intelligent cat would. Which is strange, seeing as the observed intellect and speech do not match up.

Walking up to the woman who just came in, the cat looks inquisitively at her?
    Meow?
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moranica View Post
    Slowly, Scrillio moves over to the bar and let's out a big sigh, before ordering a good beer.

"Good day, sir, could you poor me some of your finest draught. Anything up to 5 goldpieces worth will do. My father always said this was a place to start, if you need a drink, lodgings or information at least. I could use all three."

"As to the information, someone I know, named Scribly, used to frequent this place in his younger years. Now, trouble has found him, and I think it may have something to do with those years. Do you remember him, perhaps?"
    The half-giant behind the bar just sniffs derisively as he pours the beer.

"I don't remember nobody. One gold."

Quote Originally Posted by St.Just View Post
    Nodding to Astari as she went off to talk with the young man, Abeline entered the Flint herself. Walking to the bar, she caught the attention of the half-giant behind it. "If you'll excuse me sir? I believe this is the place to ask about obtaining lodgings for a time?

After a moments pause, she continued as an afterthought, pulling out her coin pouch as she did so.

"..And I wonder if you know of any particularly interesting work I might seek to take up around here?"
    The man continues to polish a tumbler as he says, "Room for one is five."

When you ask for work he looks you up and down once before replying. "Yeah, sure, you any good at washing dishes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Let'sGetKraken View Post
    A tall, prim, refined-looking woman in priestly garb saunters slowly into the town square, careful to keep her distance from the small group ahead of her. I'll hang back for now. The others will already be drawing enough attention as is. Then, watching Astari converse with a young man as they enter the inn, she sighs. At least she could learn something useful.

Clearing her throat, the priestess looks around for someone who seems familiar with the city. She has so many questions, after all.
    She sees a number of people in the room. In addition to the players themselves, she sees no fewer than two dozen other patrons. Two groups of five appear to be adventuring parties here to wine, dine, and otherwise waste their loot, but the rest all seem to be locals. The only ones that really catch your eye as standing out are the warforged who has a number of empty tankards in front of him, the heavily cloaked man you would swear was an assassin were his robes and face mask not a bright lime green that seems to fluoresce in this light, and, believe it or not, a mermaid sitting on a chaise lounge being occasionally spritzed by water by her attendant. The others seem particularly normal compared to those three and the adventurers.

Quote Originally Posted by GameOfChampions View Post
    Regis grabs a recently vacated stool and pulls it up beside Astari then hops up onto the stool "Ya I could go for a drink." Regis tries to signal the server to bring him a drink. "Well I don't know about you but I could use a job right now. I hope Abeline finds an interesting one! Regis says the last bit with relish.

Regis taping his fingers against his thigh in a rapid tempo is the only indicator that the calm halfling is a little excited. The halfling takes a deep breath and stops the finger tapping, calming down and relaxing in his seat, just waiting for his drink.
    Responding to Regis' signal, a barmaid slams a tankard of something blue and frothy in front of him. "10 gold."

Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    Sometime near dusk, a tired, young, red-haired woman enters the Sad Flint, doffing her hat. She wears a traveling cloak over a rough woolen tunic, seems absorbed in private contemplation, and her clothes are a bit wet, even though it hasn't rained all day. A sabre hangs at her waist.

She proceeds directly to the counter, and greets the barkeep, holding her hat by the brim in both hands. "I would like a room for the night," she requests. "And maybe a drink. Are you full up yet?"

Renen
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the cat is still there, it knows: The woman who just entered the Flint is wearing boots and a skirt that bear the unmistakable scent of fresh blood. She herself also reeks of at least a few other large animals.
    The barkeep wrinkles his nose slightly before replying. "Room for one is five. Order whatever you want.

Oh, if that's your familiar, keep it from harassing other guests.
    "
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

"The what?" The redhead looks about herself, and down at her feet. "Oh, no, it's not. I thought it was the house's. It sure seems pushy, doesn't it?" She sets down her hat on the bar counter, and fishes out five crowns from a pouch in a pocket insider her cloak. "And for cheese stew and an ale?" She really didn't feel like meat.

Then the woman does her best to scoop up the cat. "I will keep it out of everyone's hair," she reassures the barkeep. Xh-xh-xh-, she clicks. "Meow? Ggrreeeow? Gggrrr-

Wild empathy (1d20+7)[26]. I don't know what that does to the cat.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Stew and ale, that'll be three."

He sends one of the bar wenches to fetch the stew as he pours the ale.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"I'll have to ask you to make change, then." A second 5-crown piece is produced and hits the counter with a distinctive thunk. Her fingers do not leave the coins until the barkeep is ready to collect them. "I haven't been in the city long." City life sure is expensive.

Her eyes follow the girl as she goes into the kitchen, then return to the man across the counter. "Are you the owner here?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeep passes his hand over the coins, and in less than the blink of an eye, the coins are gone, replaced by the appropriate change. The girl's fingers are still on the coins...

"Nope. Sure not."

He pulls a large, flat crystal out from under the bar.

"Put your hand on this to rent the room."
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-02-10 at 01:17 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

The girl blinks twice, stunned, and almost drops the cat. "How did you...?" she asks, dragging the coins suspiciously on the table back into her palm to examine them more carefully. Did they change value magically? shrink? weigh any less?

"Never mind. Who -is- the owner?"

She transfers the cat into one arm, lest it accidentally paw the crystal, and does as she is told.