New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Werewolf Central X: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Dota 2 mafia sounds awesome. I'm currently dissecting spyfall to setup for online play.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central X: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Well, I know next to nothing about Dota stuff but more people trying their hand at being a narrator is always good.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

I drafted up the rules and roles for that. It looks like we have a couple of games coming up, but I can fill a slot after that.

If there's someone who's sure they won't want to play and wouldn't mind looking at my setup that's appreciated too.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

4. - Top - End - #454

I'm not playing Werewolf right now, but I'd be happy to take a look at your setup for balance.

As for tips for online play, what is it exactly that you have trouble with online? The main difference I'd say is that it's much harder to discern lies because you only have text, so if you were having success offline because of your ability to read expressions then there's no trick to translate that online; you just have a larger skillset to learn.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

5. - Top - End - #455

Appreciated, PMed.

And yeah, I suppose I just don't have a lot of online games under my belt.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    I got some solid sized werewolf games going over the holidays and ended up being pretty successful as a villager. The same is not true of my online villager play though, which I think could use a little work. Any tips specific to online play?
    What do you count as successful? Surviving, catching wolves, just being on the winning team?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    What do you count as successful? Surviving, catching wolves, just being on the winning team?
    Catching some wolves might be number 1, but also getting night-killed over power roles, not getting lynched, helping town network if cleared, and winning are also nice.

I've also sorted out my dota setup, so I can be added to the schedule whenever.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Well, unlike in face to face you don't have body language and facial expressions to read from, and it's easier for wolves to think before acting and avoid leaving obvious contradictions and such. However, you have a lot more time to analyze what's happened. I find it useful sometimes to, for example, go over a specific suspect's posts and see whether I can piece together their line of thought. Why'd they vote for such and such early, have they shown any abrupt changes in behaviour during the game and is there any visible reason for such.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Pixie in the Playground

Like Murska said, you're trading body language for time. Voting spreadsheets are nice, if you can keep them accurate (I always mess them up when I try to use them), and re-reading previous days is huge once some information starts coming out. Wolves are often afraid of drawing attention, so look for people being quiet and following the crowd; but they're also afraid of being too quiet, so look for 'empty' posts . Look for people agreeing a lot; the more often two people are in agreement, the more likely they're coordinating with each other.

I always try to be at least a little bit scummy when I play, because sometimes you can bait a wolf into trying to get you lynched (and because it's way more fun ). Use arguments you know are weak, and see who agrees, who disagrees, and who tries to lynch you for it. It can keep you alive longer, getting you into parts of the game where there's a lot of information to work with. It's a lot easier when you're a Mason or other power role that can claim and dismiss a bandwagon, but even if you aren't it's a pretty good way to get scried and networked early, which is nice in a game with PMs.

Eating nightkills is a lot easier; just talk a lot, make people elaborate on anything they say, and be free with the accusations. You'll be so towny the wolves will have to kill you. But you probably won't catch many wolves because you'll die early. And you do want to keep in mind that if you're super towny town all the time, you'll be a really obvious wolf when that game rolls around.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    And you do want to keep in mind that if you're super towny town all the time, you'll be a really obvious wolf when that game rolls around.
    I dunno, I prefer also being super towny when I'm a wolf.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

11. - Top - End - #461

My sample size here isn't very large, but I seem to very polarizing in terms of how other players view my town. It seems like participating a lot gets me a lot of red and a lot of blue, with few feeling mostly neutral. The result is eating a lot of mid-game lynches and I'd like to avoid having my team waste a phase on that.

I think I play pretty aggressively like you're alluding to Flea. I try and post a good deal, pressure people, and prompt others to do so. Perhaps I've got the right idea but am not executing?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

My sample size here isn't very large, but I seem to very polarizing in terms of how other players view my town. It seems like participating a lot gets me a lot of red and a lot of blue, with few feeling mostly neutral. The result is eating a lot of mid-game lynches and I'd like to avoid having my team waste a phase on that.

I think I play pretty aggressively like you're alluding to Flea. I try and post a good deal, pressure people, and prompt others to do so. Perhaps I've got the right idea but am not executing?
    No. Remember Murska's post in LOTR earlier when he talked to Silent. Being lynched really isn't the stain on your armor as town as people tend to think.

The vanilla is the most wrongfully played role in mafia. The ideal vanilla is fearless. She's the antithesis to the wolves. They must play defensive. She must not. He is pure offense. Utterly lacking in long term self preservation. Power roles, and anything else brings you away from this utter purity. This isn't to say such roles are worthless, but Vanilla's have an oft underestimated strength people play incorrectly. The vanilla town is the hoard. They don't care if they lose a few members, because they are legion.

Too often, people forget this. They work to survive, utterly convinced this means something. It doesn't. You don't win by surviving. The wolves are perfectly happy to let a certain number of townies survive.

Your end game is to catch all the wolves. That's it. Nothing else matters unless this happens.

Now, there are different ways of making this happen, making yourself look town is a great tactic, but it's not something to lose sleep over if you fail here occasionally.

A townie who is lynched Day 4 and then when cleared via death, leads the town to several wolves thanks to the partipcation has accomplished much more than a townie who makes to end game focused on making sure they aren't 'the wrong lynch'. Lynches are acceptable margins for town. Accepting being one of them makes you frightening. I leave survivalist townies alive in games as a wolf, because they are ever so easy to exploit. They are too easily my ally.

I think you're already a decent player with a lot of potential. Don't stop being aggressive. It's your best asset with your activity as town.

Catching some wolves might be number 1, but also getting night-killed over power roles, not getting lynched, helping town network if cleared, and winning are also nice.
    Getting night killed to screen power roles is tough. Wolves are really hard to manipulate for their kill. I've done it once intentionally as a vanilla to protect the seer, but I'm not sure how one goes about it normally.

13. - Top - End - #463

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Getting night killed to screen power roles is tough. Wolves are really hard to manipulate for their kill. I've done it once intentionally as a vanilla to protect the seer, but I'm not sure how one goes about it normally.
    Mostly I just passively screen by forcing the wolves to kill me instead of a possible Seer. Once they've found the Seer it's hard to get them off but if you can prevent them from narrowing down the possibilities then that can give the Seer an extra night. Also, if you get nightkilled, you can't be mislynched

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Pixie in the Playground

Depends on who the wolves are. Someone like AskThePizzaGuy hunts power roles ruthlessly, looking for that caution Legato is talking about villagers not having, so if you really want to eat a kill from him you'll want to play more cautiously, like you're the Seer or the Baner. Acting like you have something to hide in general will draw wolf actions, scries voidsor kills, though it'll probably draw village actions too. But if you're loud and you're managing to accuse wolves, they'll probably kill you eventually.

Just scare the wolves, is all.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

In order to get nightkilled as vanilla, be dangerous to the wolves. Force them to make the choice between killing you, even though you're probably just a villager, just to get rid of your activity in the thread or ignoring you at their own peril to hunt for powerroles. Make that choice as hard for them as possible. Do this in a couple games and they'll start to nightkill you even before you're dangerous to them.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466

Thanks for the input everyone. I see a couple things I can be more mindful of, but in general it looks like I was at least pointed down the right path, even if I didn't take too many steps. Well that makes it easier to hone those aspects!

I'm going to PM Lex to schedule a slot for my scenario in a few hours. I should be fine running it solo, but if someone prefers narration to play I could bring ya behind the screen as it were.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I decided to run a new iteration of Battle Royale. It's an old DnD based game and depends completely on luck and dice rolls. So, if you're into this, the game pops up as soon as a moderator had time to look over it.

And if you want to look at the rules before the thread is started, open this spoiler:
    Spoiler: Game Rules
    Show

Battle Royale 9

Hello all to this old game, first invented by Calamity. I didn't do it for a long time but I think it's time for an old school game of pure luck (And deception. And backstabbing, if you're into this).

Here are the rules:

1) Every player has to choose a class before the game and starts with 40HP.

2) I will roll a d20 for initiave for everyone at the start of each round! If the initiative is equal for two or more player there will be an additional dice roll to determine who comes first (d20).

2A) I will open a thread here and roll everything relevant for the game there for everyone to see. I will link the rolls in my posts in this thread.

3) Every player will have a normal attack that deals 1d20 damage.

4) There are 13 classes (if you have suggestions for others I am willing to hear them!).

5) The classes each have their own special abilities, which will be listed below. Each ability can only be used every 3 rounds! (So if you use it in round #1 you can't use it until round #4.) The Monk ability Pray, Barbarian ability Rage, Cleric ability Blessing and Mage ability Ice Patch are exceptions and can only be used every 5 rounds.

6) You choose your action each round, whether you're just gonna attack with your normal attack or use one of your special abilit or go into defensive stance (see rule 7). You send me these actions in PM's.

7) If a player get's hit in one round he can choose to defend himself in the next round. Defending gives the hurt player a damage reduction on every attack against him of half the HP he lost in the last round (rounded down). Defending player may attack, but only with a reduced normal attack (1d20-10, if your roll is negative you miss your opponent). Defensive stance also needs to be announced in PM.

8) You can be healed past 40HP (Keep in mind that you'll probably get mobbed if you do though.

9) If you don't act during a round, the inactivity demon will come in and deal 1d10 damage to you. This damage raises +5 for each round you don't act (2 rounds in a row inactive give you a 1d15 damage, 3 rounds 1d20 and so on.

10) You will have at least 48 hours to pm your actions, choose them wisely! The day is over when I announce in thread that the day is over. If I mistake the time and end the day before 48 hours have past since the last round ended you have the right to point out my mistake and humiliate me openly in a not too unfriendly way (I think that one happened only once yet).

11) Try to have fun! Boasting and moaning in thread is encouraged .

Here are the classes and the special abilities:

Swordsman/woman:
    Swordsmanship: Do 1d20+8 damage to any target
    Counterattack: Do 1d20 damage to anyone who attacks the Swordsman/woman. Takes full damage from attack.

Wizard:
    Barrier: 1d10 damage to anyone who attacks the casting mage. Their attack is still executed but halved.
    Dispel: No special ability affects the Wizard this turn.

Rogue:
    Hide: Can't be attacked until the next round.
    Sneak Attack: Deals 1d20+10 damage to target if the target uses a special ability this turn.

Archer:
    Rapid Shot: Deals 1d12+5 damage to two targets.
    Aim: Choose a target. Next turn at Initiative 99, deals 1d20+5 damage to chosen target. Does not get an action next turn. This ability is not affected by other abilities, for instance, it isn't affected by Pray

Monk:
    Pray: Damage done to the praying monk is halved, damage dealt by the praying monk is also halved (rounded down). This lasts for 3 rounds.
    Throw: Make one player collide with another, both taking 1d10 damage. The targets also have a 50% chance of losing their next action (I will roll a 1d2, if it's a 1 you lose your action).

Cleric:
    Heal: 1d10 hp is granted to target (can't be cast on self)
    Blessing: Makes the target gain +5 damage to all attacks for 3 rounds.

Ninja:
    First Strike: This is the same as a regular attack except that it will always go first (Initiative 99).
    Last Strike: This is the same as a regular attack except that it will always go last (Initiative 0). The player gives a clear parameter by which the target is chosen. (I.E. Player with highest/lowest hp)

Sorcerer/Sorceress:
    Fireball: Select an initiative value. Everyone within 2 initiative of that value takes 1d10 damage.
    Energy Bolt: Deals 1d16 damage and causes the target to take their next action at Initiative 0

Barbarian:
    Rage: An enraged attack that deals 1d20 damage. For the next three rounds the barbarian gets +1 damage to all attacks every time the barabarian is attacked or takes damage
    Taunt: Target player can not use special abilities for their next 2 actions.

Mage:
    Freeze Ray: Deals 1d12 to the target and freezes them, making them lose their next action.
    Ice Patch: Select a initiative value. For 3 rounds, everyone who acts within 2 initiative of that value has their initiative lowered by 5 only during the rounds they act within this range. You are not affected by this effect.

Psychic:
    Premonition: Acts at Initiative 100: Choose a target of your choice, any attack or ability that they use on you this round has no effect, Cannot avoid Aim.
    Confuse: The target of target player's next action is chosen at random. It can not be you.

Druid:
    Entangle: Select an initiative value. Everyone within 1 initiative of that value loses their next action.
    Animal Companion: You may either deal 1d20+5 damage to a target, or have your Animal companion absorb all damage this round. If the damage exceeds 20, lose the ability to use your animal companion.

Mime:
    Quick Mimic: You copy the action of the person who acts right before you in initiative (if it's a tie, you can choose out of those who have tied for that initiative). You can choose your target with this type of mimicry.
    Mimic: You copy the action and target of any other player.

If you have questions or suggestions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited by Zar Peter; 2016-01-14 at 02:02 PM.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Orc in the Playground

Speak of timing. I would absolutely love to join this game, but my schedule will ensure I get autolynched a few rounds in.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hey, I've been lurking a bit and I used to play some WW back in the day but I've been out of the loop for a while. If there's another game starting up after the DOTA one I'd like to jump in as a player.

20. - Top - End - #470

Dota mafia is now open to all!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I get the 14-27 of February spot for Arcade Game WW? Hopefully it will actually run this time. It will be all power roles and no hopefully balanced.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Just in case some of you didn't notice the notice (because it was in Size 2 wording)....
    A Most Dire Siege: Dota 2 Mafia is now recruiting.
    Sometimes you need to write these announcements in large print, Meta, so they can see them.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2016-01-17 at 02:07 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

23. - Top - End - #473

Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Meta; 2016-01-17 at 09:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Any chance I could get penciled into a spot? I've got an idea brewing that I want to try.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

I'd also like to suggest if anyone has extra time I think it'd not be bad considering our colander-like schedule right now to run themed 17, 13 or 9-person vanilla games with just seer/wolves for the lower two and adding roleblocker/baner for the 17-player. Then there's less of a requirement for quality narration, and the games could, i think, run more smoothly. Just a thought.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I could co-host a Werewolf Classic game, if anyone is up for that.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

27. - Top - End - #477
    Bugbear in the Playground

Battle Royale IX has just begun. Just to let you all know here, too.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So I finished up my game, Haunted House Game Night, and am ready to actually drop into the schedule. If you don't mind I could do the current block (31Jan - 13Feb) for recruiting, or I'd be willing to wait for the 28Feb block.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Hullo, oft-lynched and vengeful one! I remember you from Demons.

I'll take a spot too. For Shadows WW, a game of resurrections, superheroes, and madness.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! Good to see you around, again.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."