New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Asian-styled High Fantasy games

I am interested in games that have an Asian-influenced style while not being Japan or China with a slightly different name (or just being outright Japan or China), but being true fantasy worlds with plenty of monsters and magic.
    I guess Legend of the Five Rings would count, but I already know that one. Are there any others?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Asian-styled High Fantasy games

Wizards of the coast put out a campaign setting called Mahasarpa, it was based I believe on India, it was a free web enhancement with the 3.0 oriental adventures setting. You used to be able to download it off their website but I don’t think it’s supported any more. I dunno if that’s Asian enough for you, but it was interesting at the least.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-02-08 at 03:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I believe it was mostly reflavoring of character classes and slightly changed monster lists.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I believe it was mostly reflavoring of character classes and slightly changed monster lists.
    Maybe, I only gave it a curtsy glance and that was years ago.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Exalted maybe?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

If you look in D&D 3.5 there’s plenty of Asian themed classes and stuff floating around splat books.

Off the top of my head there are monks, ninja, Wu Jen, Shugenja, samurai for base classes, not to mention PRCs like the ronin, Kensai, Ghost faced killer, enlightened fist, and Void disciple. Then there are a few weapons scattered about, Lajatang, mancatchers etc. Combined with some of the more useful stuff in Oriental adventures, it wouldn’t be too hard to put an Asian themed setting together.

It would really depend on what sort of Asian setting you want. Japanese inspired seems to be the easiest to do; if you want to run a wuxia game then you might have to come up with something else. But really, making people fly isn’t too hard in D&D.

edit
    if you refluff tome of battle, then you can actually give your characters special attacks, suddenly your crusader samurai can do really cool stuff with his sword.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-02-08 at 05:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I am interested in games that have an Asian-influenced style while not being Japan or China with a slightly different name (or just being outright Japan or China), but being true fantasy worlds with plenty of monsters and magic.
    I guess Legend of the Five Rings would count, but I already know that one. Are there any others?
    Tenra Bansho Zero is a Japanese tabletop RPG with cyborg mikos and oni mecha pilots, set on another planet.

Anima Beyond Fantasy seemed pretty anime-influenced to me, and I'm pretty sure it's a fantasy world.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Tenra Bansho Zero is a Japanese tabletop RPG with cyborg mikos and oni mecha pilots, set on another planet.

Anima Beyond Fantasy seemed pretty anime-influenced to me, and I'm pretty sure it's a fantasy world.

Anime does not have to actually be Asian to still be anime. Anime is Japanese animation; it can be of any genre. It can have influences from just about anywhere, therefore anime is not necessarily Asian or be influence by Asian influences.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-02-08 at 10:19 PM.