New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Jedi placed into D&D

I been looking at Star Wars d20 and it looks like Jedis could be adapted and play into a D&D world. The Lightsaber could start out as 1d8 and then become more powerful as you gain Jedi levels, the force skills could like magic but uses up HP. But how does it compare to other classes besides Fighter and CoDzilla and Wizard?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Jedi placed into D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    I been looking at Star Wars d20 and it looks like Jedis could be adapted and play into a D&D world. The Lightsaber could start out as 1d8 and then become more powerful as you gain Jedi levels, the force skills could like magic but uses up HP. But how does it compare to other classes besides Fighter and CoDzilla and Wizard?
    I always saw a strong conectiion between Jedi and psychic warriors. Use of the mind/will to perform powers, decent fighting skills, love of crystals etc.
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't the idea of the d20 system that you can mix and match things? Personally I think Jedi could be placed into D&D if that's what you want to do.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

The Soul Knife from the Expanded Psionic's Handbook is actually a near perfect Jedi, especially if combined in multi-class with a Psion. A Soul Knife conjures what is called a Mind Blade at 1st level with a bonus, weapon focus. The initial blade does 1d6, but improves to 1d8 at 3rd, +1 at 4th, and continues to rise in "enchantment bonuses" and other powers through the levels. At 2nd level, the Soulknife can throw the mind blade and just make up another one for his next turn, giving him a ranged attack. At 3rd level, the Soulknife can add "Psychic Strike" to his blade as a move action and deal an additional 1d8 of damage. This damage rises as he rises in level also. Starting at 6th level he can add weapon specific abilities defending, keen, etc (there is a list in the book) His BAB starts at +0, but then rises +1; it skips every 3rd level, so levels 4 and 5 are both +3, but it's not bad.

To add the Jedi's force powers, though, you would have to have a level of Psion for the pyschic power points, or Wilder.

The EPH also has a more melee orientated class called the Psychic Warrior, who can manifest a limited number of power points and powers, but uses a regular melee weapon. It could be a good jedi class as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've been tempted to just throw one in on a whim, and see how he compares to everyone else. I think he'd be pretty balanced in comparison to CoDzilla, but may make the Fighter look bad.

Their Force Abilities come in the form of skills, so using them frequently is pretty flexible. However, handling the Dark Side points will be DM discretion, depending if there is a 'Dark Side' in whatever place the Jedi is thrown into.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know, but I think 1d8 for a lightsaber might be a bit weak. A lightsaber seems to be much better than, say, a longsword.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

7. - Top - End - #7

Wouldn't the lightsaber be more of a +1 Flaming Brilliant Bastard Sword at the minimum? Given that it ignores most material (armor), and burns upon contact...

Otherwise, could probably work. Don't see why not.

8. - Top - End - #8

Unfortunately, (d20-)realistically modeling Jedi makes them far, far, too powerful.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    Unfortunately, (d20-)realistically modeling Jedi makes them far, far, too powerful.
    See Star Wars d20 RPG. Unless you're implying that they are too powerful even in that manual.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    See Star Wars d20 RPG. Unless you're implying that they are too powerful even in that manual.
    In D&D. They work in d20, because the system is designed to hold them. However, D&D doesn't have nearly the level of tech required, so a lightsaber would end up being a +X brilliant flaming blah bastard sword. It wouldn't be balanced.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I always thought of the sword sage as the DnD Jedi Knight. I think they are pretty close.
    Thanks to Ceika for the awsome Flamebringer avatar.

As Captain Leif Meldrock says in "Mars Needs Lumberjacks": "I'm ready for anything!"

Thanks to Baboon Army for the great Evermore avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duskwither View Post
    I've been tempted to just throw one in on a whim, and see how he compares to everyone else. I think he'd be pretty balanced in comparison to CoDzilla, but may make the Fighter look bad.
    that's because EVERYTHING makes the fighter look bad.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    that's because EVERYTHING makes the fighter look bad.
    'Cept warrior.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

14. - Top - End - #14

NPC classes don't count; anyways, WotC made the warrior by stripping the fighter's feats.

15. - Top - End - #15

You could make a Jedi-esque tutelage of Psychic Warriors. Pretty much the same sort of thing in terms of power and fighting ability, though you'd have to tailor the powers list if you were focused on exactly duplicating all the various Force abilities.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    'Cept warrior.
    or a pally that screwed up
    Every time you overpower a character an angel loses its wings... and implodes.
    If I were a pie I would be Lemon Morang A little sweet a little sour and a lot of fluff
    Catgirl Murderer of the Club of Gaming Reason

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    No Kultrum you win the internet today, you deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok
    I'd rather you be dead then consider not opening a restaurant

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

d20 SW is a very bland game. that assid,e your best bet would be to build a PsiWar and just use the Jedi code for your character. It would work after a fasion. Me, i can't play SW, my personal outlook is in conflict with the black/white of good/evil in the SW world. My characters fall to the dark side too often.
    when i lay me down to sleep,
    i pray Cthulhu my soul to keep

I play WoW, do you?

Zulajas - Troll Hunter - Doomhammer
    Taelsyne - Blood Elf Warlock - Fire Tree
    Manmosurenja - Draenei Shaman - Kil'Jaden

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

it could happen, all those D&D wizards creating portals to odd places, all of a sudden Mace Windu shows up.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well you could have a Psionic Warrior\Monk\Psionic Fist with a Flaming Brilliant Energy Quarterstaff and say its a jedi with a doublesaber

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    it could happen, all those D&D wizards creating portals to odd places, all of a sudden Mace Windu shows up.
    Was I the only one who always felt Mace Windu should have been more like Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction?

"Does Darth Vader look like a b**** to you?!?"

wookie: "wrrrlll?"

"Then why are you trying to f*** him like one!?!"

wookie: "wrrrlll"

"say wrrllll one more time! Say wrrrrlll one more time!!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've never seen the Star Wars D20 material, but I think it might be an interesting idea to create a homebrewed Psi War/Soulknife class...in fact, I might do just that!
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    Was I the only one who always felt Mace Windu should have been more like Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction?

"Does Darth Vader look like a b**** to you?!?"

wookie: "wrrrlll?"

"Then why are you trying to f*** him like one!?!"

wookie: "wrrrlll"

"say wrrllll one more time! Say wrrrrlll one more time!!"
    Been watching some YTMND have we?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

there was a YTMND page for this? man, I am out of touch.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'll PM it to you since its a 'not safe for work'

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

can I get the pm also? But you can always edit the light saber not to be brilliant energy.

26. - Top - End - #26

you could just... answer me on msn >_<

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis View Post
    I'll PM it to you since its a 'not safe for work'
    damn, that's so awesome

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Thumbs up Re: Jedi placed into D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    I ran a D20 Multi-Verse game, mixing D20 SW, Farscape, Stargate SG-1, and D&D, just to name a few D20 games (see my campaign design 'zine for more info).

I used the D20 SW system as the base system, with Wounds and Vitality Points (instead of hit points). If there was a problem with the rules, I fudged as necessary. So dropping a Jedi into a D&D world is not really that much of a problem. Adjust as necessary.

Also, why bother with reducing the lightsaber damage? Just adjust the bad guys as necessary. So what if he can walk through goblins at 1st level? It's not like they can't hit him back!

/BC
    "What kind of writing pays the best?" That's a query often put to the literary agent H.N. Swanson. In reply, he always says, "Ransom notes." - Mike Mailway

Asshat Paladins Blog

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven't played Star Wars d20, but I'd think most of what the Jedi do in the movie adapts well to D&D. One issue is that in the movies, we're seeing the best-of-the-best of Jedi warriors, so it's difficult to tell their range of ability. Are all of the bad-asses? Or are some of them a bit gooberish? Judging from the reactions of the non-central-characters in the movies, all Jedi are feared bad-asses.

That poses a bit of a problem for D&D as it relates to PCs. D&D posits that PCs go from being weak to powerful. If a PC is playing a Jedi in D&D, then they have start at some level of power and get more powerful.

On a similar vein, Jedi in the movies all come equipped with a brilliant energy flaming vorpal weapon. A starting PC would have to be pretty high level to get one of these within standard WBL. Even if he does get it, what does the DM do when he wants to upgrade it or get something better?
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

30. - Top - End - #30

On the otherhand its very rare to see Jedi in the movies with the type of power lv20 wizards have at there fingertips