New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne: Seven Days to the Grave [IC]

Omega grimaces as Paxre pokes fun at his name, keeping his gaze level as he tries to figure out the creatures intentions. After a few minutes of the show, he takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, before opening them up and smiling in an awkward manner. "Did you enjoy yourself? Trying to fit in by making fun of anyone in sight? I thought you had something to help the child."
    Last edited by meemaas; 2015-03-09 at 08:11 PM.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have something that will act as a balm and stem the flow of the symptoms, but it's not perfect and won't always be enough," explains Paxre. "I'm interested in seeing what Gam-Gam has to offer, first."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    After an hour, Gamma returns, and places his hand upon her, while putting his other hand to the tattoo he cherishes so much, casting his spell to attempt to help her.
    Gamma pours forth a healing energy that hopefully isolates that parasite or contagion in question. Gamma is pretty sure that it is extremely unlikely there is an illness out there that can withstand that powerful surge of the Inheritor's healing sword. Still, the magic only lasts for a day, and she still has the disease; the spell only withholds the disease's progress to give the healer more time to aid the afflicted. Then, there is what recovery may be.

Paxre, you're up. However, if Gamma/ Omega has anything to do in the interim ...
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spellcraft and Maybe Minor Comment
    Show
    Do I know what spell Gamma used? Spellcraft (1d20+9)[19]

If Paxre does, he'll say, "Wow. Neat spell!"

Paxre fishes out a strange-looking device. For the most part, it looks like a standard bloodletting device used by most healers. But this version is much, much more horrible. This thing, very much like a meat tenderizer, has thin, tiny little switches on it. He flips one of the little switches, and tiny hooked blades come out. It looks a little unwieldy, obviously made for human-sized hands, but he is just testing it. Then, after the test, he shows his leg and puts the hook parts facing his thigh. He takes out a vial and places it at the collection point. Then ..... he flips the lever.

Definitely painful. Bleeding profusely for a few rounds until the vial fills, and then the bleeding automatically stops as he pulls the lever shut, and then lifts. Overall, he took 6 hit points of damage. He hands the vial to Gamma and says, "I set the lever to collect some of my black bile. It can't cure her, but it can help her recover. This is set to help her actually temporarily recover from her real pain, not her current, um, pus-bubbles."

He hands the vial to Gamma.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2015-03-11 at 06:48 PM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

5. - Top - End - #35

Delay disease, 2nd-level, is a standoff measure to allow the diseased and afflicted time to recover on their own or with the help of healers. Without a powerful priest, there's not more that can be magically done to affect a cure. (Paxre comments as spoilered.)

Gamma, do you administer the black bile formula to Breeze?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gamma takes the formula, sniffing it carefully before carefully administering it to the child. "I'm taking a chance here. If this turns out to be some kind of poison, know that you will not leave this building alive." He says with a frown, as if distrustful of the bug-man.

7. - Top - End - #37

Gamma carefully gives the .... stuff ... to the little girl. It's not an incredible amount, but it restores 1 CON .... but that's honestly pretty significant in her state, to a child, and to anyone in general. More, bug-man actually sacrificed some of his own essence to help her, and wounded his leg in the process.

What next?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gamma

Gamma looks at the child, seemingly healthier, and then turns to the bug man, placing his hand on what he believes is its shoulder. As he does, he inputs his own healing energy into Paxre, healing the wound he had inflicted at least a small amount.

Spoiler
    Show
    Expend a use of Fervor on Paxre (1d6)[1]

Delta

Delta looks up just a moment after Gamma starts to heal Paxre's wounds in the other room and seeks out Grau, as if to ask him a question. Upon finding him, he pulls him aside and starts to speak to him. "About how long ago did she catch this disease? When did the symptoms first show up?"

9. - Top - End - #39

Grau answers "Some time yesterday. She fell ill after coming back from town. Tayce drew on 20 years of parenting and common sense, but nothing seemed to soothe her. Last night, despite the attentions of her mother, the neighbor women, and a pinch-faced local herbalist, Brienna's condition worsened. As the long night brought little respite, it was clear her condition was dire indeed. The boys were sent into the city to schedule a visit from a cleric from the Grand Vault, while she called on me, her brother-in-law and only relation in town. When I heard that some cleric was going to use quackery, I went into town to find one of the heroes from the riots I had heard of who is reputed to have dark healing powers, and so he's up there with your people as well."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thanks," bug-man says to Gamma. "Interesting talent. Still stings like a soldier, but it helped scab over the wound so it won't be easily infected. What was that you just used on me?"
    Current Games

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Delta

"Gamma believes he was able to stay the disease, albeit temporarily. And Paxre, the one you sought out, was able to help her recover just a little from it. A disease like this doesn't just come up from thin air though, it must have a cause, and whatever in town caused it, I'm willing to bet she's not the only one suffering." Delta says this all grimly, thinking carefully of what the death toll could be if this possible outbreak doesn't get contained.

Gamma

"It is but simple healing magic granted to me from Iomedae. I possess more powerful healing capabilities still, but those require a more familiar connection than I have with anyone but my team." Gamma responds, and starts off down the stairs to rejoin the rest of his team, Omega quick to follow.

12. - Top - End - #42

"None of the other mothers I talked with have heard of anything like this," says Tayce.

"Perhaps it isn't a disease," says Grau. "It could be something like a ... a poison or a substance or something."

"Alchemy? Maybe?" says Ishani as he has the small tureen. "But we will have to see."

He heads upstairs to the two/three healers (however you want to categorize Paxre, he hasn't offered any knowledge or magic beyond the item) with a small soup tureen, a wooden mug and a few other things on a tray. He sets up incense, and then has Brienna drink some of the bitter-smelling brew. She drinks some, and he has to get her to drink more. He puts the tray on the nightstand.

"Well?"
    Ishani says to Gamma. "Will you watch over through the day or something? I took what time I could away from the Grand Vault to make this infustion, but I have to return now."

What now, EE?
    Spoiler: Paxre
    Show
    "A mystic and a priest that knows how to use heavier armor than most clerics, and probably knows how to fight? Can you imagine how your fame would increase if you suggested partnering with Delta and his group to track this problem to ground. Remember, this helped her, but unless we knows she has been healed your agreement with Mr. Soldaldo has not been fulfilled."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-03-13 at 01:12 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gamma looks at the door and then back at the girl, thinking carefully before he answers the question. "I will remain with the child for the night. In the morning I will renew my spell on her if she doesn't get worse. Afterwards, my team and I will seek out the source. We cannot risk this getting worse."

As he finishes, Delta joins with him and starts to speak almost perfectly in tune. "While you deal with that, I will head out tonight to see if i can scrounge up something or another to help you." He turns to Gamma, who appears to be counting out some gold in a small sack, before taking the sack from Gamma and moving to the door. "Wish me luck, friends." He says before swiftly departing, leaving quickly with only Beta heading out the door with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delta is going to town to seek a scroll of Remove Disease for purchase. Gamma gives him 750 of his gold to purchase two of them just in case.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am curious, compelled, and somewhat contracted," says Paxre. "I'm coming with you since I am invested."
    Current Games

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Delta

"If you so wish, then by all means. Just don't be surprised if there is nothing for you to do. We're just going out for a quick shopping trip." Delta smiles, and heads out the door, behind him, Beta gives Paxre a look as if to say 'I don't trust you' before following after.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Paxre looks up at Beta in pure awe and fascination, looking him up and down and then back to Beta's eyes and mouths a 'wow' with an ear-to-ear grin. He seems utterly dense to Beta's facial communication.
    Current Games

17. - Top - End - #47

Without a doubt, the place to go for the priests that might have the power and equipment is the Grand Vault of Abadar. In a city as steeped in political scheming, decisive justice, and trade as Korvosa, it should be no surprise that the city’s largest and most influential faith is the congregation of Abadar, god of cities, laws, and merchants. Presided over by Archbanker Darb Tuttle, the Bank of Abadar is one of the more potent moderating factors in the city, ever eager to remind the government and nobility of their responsibilities to their citizens. Although its acts might sometimes seem charitable, the church of Abadar is more concerned with the just enactment of the law and the continued flow of trade.

The Grand Vault of Abadar, a meticulously well-kept structure of white marble and gleaming bronze friezes, stands in the North Point district of Korvosa. Within, the Vault serves several purposes. While the first floor holds a few small side shrines and counseling chambers, the majority of its airy halls are given over to the business of banking, with acolytes of Abadar eager to serve any with coin they would bestow in the god’s trust, while armored clerics keep watch for ne’er-do-wells. The floor above holds the god’s sanctuary and the quarters of a small number of resident priests, although most are encouraged to maintain their own addresses away from the temple.

Towering over the surrounding buildings, the Grand Vault of Abadar offers a vision of divine luxuriance amid a sea of mortal troubles. Radiant, as its grey-veined white marble reflects the midday sun, there’s little question that this place is the house of a god. Steep stairs and ramps leading up to the temple's great bronze doors are awe-inspring indeed. The temple is open, and an acolyte can show you to a place wherein they are willing to have a transaction for a scroll or a potion of remove disease.

A scroll would cost 375 gp, whereas a potion costs double that at 750 gp. Which would you want to buy?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-03-16 at 08:48 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Delta purchases the scroll, and quickly heads back to his team, with Beta and most likely Paxre following. Upon their return, should it be unmolested, Delta will hand the scroll to Gamma and ask of her condition. Assuming all is well, Gamma will proceed to use the scroll on the girl to attempt to heal her, while Delta heads downstairs to give Gamma room to concentrate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Before Delta leaves, Gamma will re-establish the Collective with Delta and Beta

After that, I'll use the scroll, unless something bad has happened to the girl in the meanwhile.

19. - Top - End - #49

Delta and Beta return to the Soldado's home, and Delta (ostensibly, but tell me if it isn't so) returns 375 gp to Gamma. (A dwarf would definitely remember and notice.)

Surely, there is some secret excitement for Gamma. What a great day it was when the warpriest was gifted by Iomedae to cast spells that would heal more effectively, become a more powerful warrior, and other deeper secrets. But this scroll that removes diseases .... this is magic out of the hands of one such as he. Or, at least it was. To be honored with this, even though it was paid for ... Gamma unravels the scroll, and cannot make heads or tails of it. It is surely holy Abadarian script, but it is an alien form to the dwarf. So thoroughly had the dwarf learned intuitive healing and destructive power from Iomedae - leaning on his own merits or the powers directly given him by his goddess - that other than a keenly focused scholarship in philosophical and spiritual lore, he had forgone all other learning whatsoever. Likewise, his normal orisons are ill-suited to the task (needing read magic). Other than sitting there somewhat dumbfounded and sending out his results to the others, there is not much for him to do.
    Spoiler: Epsilon Elite
    Show
    The most capable member of the group for "unknown" magical scrolls would be Delta; he can cast read magic as a summoner, and his ability to "commandeer" magical items not originally part of his training is incredible.

Spoiler: Paxre
    Show
    "You can do this. You can heal this girl. Call out for the secrets from beyond the stars to reveal those ridiculously over-ordered words and then give blessing from the power you've been given."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-03-18 at 12:00 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Paxre looks up at Gamma. "Mr. Gamma? I think maybe I can help. I'm pretty sure I can read that script, and the effects of a scroll like that is right up my alley."
    Current Games

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gamma

"You have until Delta returns to try" Gamma says carefully as he holds out the scroll to Paxre.

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot i needed the sufficient caster level to activate it too. Thats what i get for posting when i'm dead tired.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Paxre holds the script. He holds up his hands to gather unseen particles of energy from the deepest reaches of the universe cutting through undetected dimensional tears. He chants and his hands move deftly and subtly. He allows the knowledge of unknown script when it would be impossible to know such things from the Abadarian script. He nods once he recognizes the script and goes over the child. The magic is still beyond his normal abilities, but his mind sharpens to allow more of the energy through him as he attempts to channel the greater power of the scroll into the child.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Caster level check to activate the scroll. If a normal remove disease scroll that isn't heightened or anything stupid, it should be DC 16. (1d20+4)[13]
    Last edited by PSinger; 2015-03-18 at 12:37 PM.
    Current Games

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaking his head, Paxre looks at Gamma. "Sometimes you have try to do things the old way."

Without even trying to hold back the entropy with carefully measured words and gestures, this time Paxre just allows pure dark power to flow through him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    UMD to activate the scroll (1d20+9)[14]

Crestfallen, he hangs his head and hands the scroll back to Gamma. "This scroll is far beyond my abilities."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2015-03-18 at 12:48 PM.
    Current Games

24. - Top - End - #54

Is it just Delta the comes upstairs to see the girl for the first time?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Paxre looks up to Gamma. "I have an intuition and a gift for everyone here, courtesy of a fortune-teller that passed on. My intuition is that this is just the beginning. The gift is up to Zellara's hand and the fates. Please call all of your friends up."

He thinks and adds, "Ishani Dhatri said he could only heal the girl if he had the coin, per his religion; this means he has the power. He is the obvious choice to read his church's script to heal the child, since the cost of the scroll has been handled far and above the normal cost of the spellcasting service.

"He calls down, without waiting for Gamma. Can everyone come up, please? Especially you, Abadarian!"
    Current Games

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gamma looks over at Paxre and scowls a little. "A priest should not be so greedy as to not heal a young child no matter the tenants of their church. The children will be our future." As he finishes his sentence, Delta arrives up first, with the others following because of the call just a moment behind him.

Delta takes the scroll from Gamma and smirks a little. "I thought you had this under control friend." He says before unraveling the scroll and starting to draw upon his own intuition to cast the spell himself upon the child.

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD check (1d20+12)[31] vs. DC 25

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Paxre stands there, seemingly confused when Gamma makes his comment. "Ummm .... what? Are you talking about me? I'm not a priest. What are you talking about with children and greed and everything?"

Hearing the others come up the stairs, he'll pull out a stack of cards, sit cross-legged in the middle of the open part of the floor, and begin shuffling them.

After Delta surely heals the girl of the disease, Paxre speaks up, but more to the air then anyone else. "Zellara, I call upon your ghost to observe these men. I shall arrange the cards as you command."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Short form, take over this portion with Paxre, Rus. No need to bounce back and forth IC and waste time.
    Current Games

28. - Top - End - #58

Ishani Dhatri nods in approval as he comes up the stairs, having heard the proper incantations from the scroll. "Well done, Delta. She is weak and still in danger simply because her system is susceptible to other things. I can come by from time to time, but sadly I cannot stay as long as you might. I leave it to your mercy if you will maintain a vigil, though I should like to assume you will. You have done a great service to this child and family, and may Abadar bless you for this."

By now, the rest of the Epsilon Elite come upstairs. Once they get up there and Dhatri thanks each of them for coming to help, that is when Paxre's odd position, card shuffling, and then invocation is really noticed. (For all of his strange nature, maybe it's his size but he is extremely easy to overlook.) It is a Harrow deck - a deck that is a quality type of playing card deck, though the better varieties are actually used for fortune-telling. Hand-painted images decorate the Harrow deck, the frames gilt in silver so that under any lighting they might sparkle and flash. Despite the worn condition of the card backs, the images on the faces are so vibrant they seem to move when viewed out of the corner of the eye. The deck itself seems to handle with surprising ease in Paxre's hands, almost shuffling itself. Finally, in a rounded table-shuffle he lays the Harrow deck face up in a semi-circle in front of him.

A vision forms, almost coming from the deck itself. It is that of an attractive, middle-aged Varisian with long hair tied back in a pony-tail and held under a colorful bandana with typical Varisian designs.
    Spoiler: Vellara
    Show

She seems real enough. "Go ahead, warpriest Gamma and any other spellcasters. I am an illusion cast forth by my sentient spirit in what were my Harrow cards, and through avenging my death and saving my daughter Paxre has earned as his own. Cast detect magic or detect undead or detect evil. I am the first, but not the second two. As I lived by the deck, my spirit is tied to the deck. I am no oracle to brook foolish questions that your own diligence cannot determine, but what the cards can tell.

"I have a purpose, to defend and protect the city that was my home in life and death. I know not how, but friendly spirits have given me the sense that there is great death coming, and that you seven heroes will need to protect and defend Korvosa as I can no longer do directly. Come, draw a card and receive a blessing of fate, but ask no more questions of me."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Paxre uses the end of the semi-circle to turn over the next, sweeping over them all, to flip all of the cards face down. He then shuffles the cards and does a face-down spiral swirl spread of the cards. He is ready for her to draw the first card for him, as much for his familiarity of this process as to show the others it is safe.
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #60

"The time of this Choosing will require health and resolve from the seven of you. As such ..." Zellara reaches down to the cards and passes her hands over them, magical lights come from the cards to come together as a set of nine cards in her hand.

Paxre chooses one. As a deck of playing cards, this is a Jack of clubs, as indicated outside of the left of each vertical border. However, the outside right of the same is a shield, which is used for more archaic purposes. The picture is that of a path blocked by a thorny wall. "The Tangled Briar," Paxre sighs. "That doesn't bode well for me."

Zellara says, "Everyone's 'role card' will be a boon when most needed. Some people call you vermin, but you will need it most when against vermin you may have to survive. The Tangled Briar is a card of ancient deeds. It is much misaligned with you, but that means your thorny past won't just bring pain, but hope for the future."

Zellara looks at the rest of you. "There is no ill here, and the boons you receive with your 'role' shall help in some hidden way in the future, and the gods themselves that protect you shall see to protect you in darkest times."

Epsilon Elite? Let me know in what order cards are drawn .... as well as any RP that may occur.
    Show