New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne: Seven Days to the Grave [IC]

[No need to protract the above ...]

Delta immediately falls unconscious, as if his fit were over. The immediacy of its stoppage is likewise of some concern. Still, he is out and Gamma notes his fingernails torn off or peeling and his bloody fingers. In addition, there is the question of the fact that he will need to be given a sponge bath and new linens. Perhaps the fact that this latter happened, assuming Delta is unconscious rather than just sleeping, if you can get him back into a position of cleanliness before he awakes may well allow your friend to keep his dignity through his own ignorance. Omega & Gamma would obviously be the one to do/direct the sponge-down while Alpha and Paxre are probably the ones who take care of the linen ... by giving it to the maid to send to the washerwoman tomorrow. For now, there are spare linens.

Gamma has plenty of healing to make sure that Delta is as fully healed as visible.

Fireday, 3 Gozren

Delta wakes up with full knowledge of the terror from the night before. Scary, and he can remember details that he otherwise wouldn't with a normal dream, but that is enough on his mind that he doesn't have any lingering pain in his hands, nor does he recognize the clean bedding in which he sleeps. Nor, for that matter, does he actually notice the bloody sigil on his headboard above him. While the dream was terrifying, by having the dream it would seem a great weight is lifted off of his mind. As the group goes to sup and reconnects the collective, Delta feels no terrifying cold coming from Paxre before or during. Unfortunately, there is something amiss.

Gamma has been afflicted with blood veil at a loss of 2 CON/ 2 CHA. Functionally, the dwarf is still incredibly resilient, but the physical manifestation - while not as dramatic as Paxre the other day - is noticeable.

The group will do its various forms of morning routines. I will go so far to assume that Gamma swaps out bull's strength for lesser restoration, and the obvious choice for him is CON. To that regard, he fully heals himself of CON effects. Likewise, delay disease to further hold off the effects of the blood veil on him while treatment is given. I will also assume Paxre will sacrifice some of himself (6 hit points damage) to have Gamma drink his black bile, which in turns heals him of all CHA damage.

Gamma has blood veil, but neither shows it nor is further affected by it for the next day. This does NOT, however, mean that he doesn't "have" the disease, and this means he is still a carrier - meaning caution for the group and other persons. He might bring unforseen and unintended death to innocents he will never meet if he goes about town.

Since Gamma didn't fully heal Paxre before of his sacrifice for the little girl (fervored for a mere 1 hp), no assumption is made here.

So, the questions are ... if the party's main hero no long has the ability to use spontaneous CMWs (cure moderate wounds spells), does that mean the party feels "shut down" or do they sack to push ahead? for that matter, do they even want Gamma roaming the streets where he can get others sick?

Regardless, in the mid-morning a letter from Vaultkeeper Dhatri comes to you. A woman in the Heights named Vendra claims to have discovered a cure for blood veil. The PCs are asked by Ishani to visit her perfumery to determine if her claim is legitimate, offering them 1,000 gp in payment for a full report.
    Spoiler: Paxre, Delta, Muhrbala
    Show
    Paxre, and surprisingly Delta (sometimes a poor bind with Jarah means she wants you to actively look for new perfumes), both know that Lavender, one of the better-known and noted perfume boutiques in Korvosa, stands amid a row of tightly packed shops just off of Summoning Street in the Heights. Owned by Chelaxian woman named Vendra Loaggri, the perfumery has always had a reputation for avant-garde creations and brazen promotions—infamous memories of the “Free Imp with Every Purchase” stunt still linger among residents of the Heights. Even Muhrbala is willing to weigh in on that kerfuffle, because some of his kin died hunting those little bastards down.

Lavender’s Luxuriant Liniment is the everyday elixir of the common Korvosan. It wakes you up in the morning and calms you down at night. It soothes aching joints, tired feet, sore hands, and throbbing heads. It takes the pain out of cuts, burns, bruises, and blemishes. It smells like chastity, confidence, and respectability, and tastes like honeyed dewdrops over snow clouds (well, it's advertised to do so). Most miraculously, though, Lavender’s Luxuriant Liniment dispels blisters, minimizes swelling, and calms the complexion. A
    Spoiler: Gamma, Omega
    Show
    Gamma knows this is complete bunk. He's even sampled some. While he has no training as an herbalist, apothecary, or alchemist to back up his medical profession. Omega has never sampled it, but both healers know that what she purportedly sells would be like potions of healing at obscenely low costs, far below what is possible just to make it. No, you don't go to a perfumery for anything other than perfume.

What does the group do?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's great! Hurray!" shouts Paxre with glee. "We get paid a lot of money and we get something that helps us fight the plague in the meantime. I suppose it'll also help us smell good, right?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gamma stays behind while recovering from his bout with the blood veil, while Omega goes out with Beta and Paxre (I assume) to check out the perfumery. While they check it out, looking for proof that it is a scam, Delta makes his way to the library to study up on what he can remember of the chanting, having been informed of the language, hoping to figure out a translation of what he was hearing.

Without the help of their usual face, Omega and Paxre are responsible for the interrogation, with Omega leading Paxre through what he needs to say to try and trip her up. (I assume Paxre is willing to go along with it, but with his low WIS, combined with what he's said already, Omega knows that he needs the proper direction to help catch the scam artist.)

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that covers all the bases that I need to have covered for the time being. Leave it to your imagination what Alpha does with his time. Personally, I wouldn't put it past him to figure out how to make fireworks.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

4. - Top - End - #124

Spoiler: Alpha
    Show
    Considering Alpha is looking to get go outside of a nomad's comfort zone and learn energy missile makes perfect sense that he'd be (perhaps accidentally) brushing up on his upcoming Expanded Feat/power and Spellcraft.

So, yeah. Fireworks. Well, on a really smallll scale.

A queue of eager Korvosans stands in a line that stretches nearly four blocks from the perfumery’s distinctive amethyst-shaded windows. Many of these people look healthy, but several bear the obvious hacking, blistered symptoms of blood veil. The line threads through the street and into the store, where customers pay 2 gp for a dose of Lavender’s Luxuriant Liniment. Vendra greets each new customer from behind the shop counter, leaving the actual sales to two pretty young shop girls. Two large, well-dressed men with purple cravats discreetly hold saps and keep their eyes on the shop’s patrons, ready to put down any trouble at a nod from Vendra.

After patience finally pays off (no doubt with a lot of whining about the line from Paxre), you get to the Perfumery. A menagerie of heady scents twists throughout the cramped but stylish perfumery. A dizzying assortment of bottles—from gaudy ceramic containers to graceful crystalline vials—lines a variety of lace- and ribbon-strewn tables, shelves, racks, and an eye-catching display in the wide front window. Across from the front door’s orchid-tinted glass panes runs a long counter, stacked high with hundreds of simple clay phials bearing round, magenta stoppers. Behind the counter, violet flourishes swoop across a sign reading, “Lavender’s Luxuriant Liniment: Either You’ve Got It, or You’ve Had It.”

"Me, I'm pluggin' the dock for these 30 years and the haulin' gives me a bum leg," says a bedraggled, middle-aged longshoreman. "Yessirday I tried Lavender's Luxuriant Liniment. Now sure as I'm born not only did th' juice give the plague the lie and send it on its way, me bum leg is better, too!"

As the PCs wait in line, and perhaps to catch Vendra's attention, Beta and Omega notice that the longshoreman goes back to being the only one perusing the perfumes.

Meanwhile, there are two attractive ladies at the counter, and warmly greeting each customer is Vendra Loaggri herself.
    Spoiler: Vendra Loaggri
    Show
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-04-09 at 12:01 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Beta might not take notice what section of the store he's in, but he knows the drill. Smirking and taking out two gold sails as he moves slowly forward in line, Paxre whispers to the Big Folk. "I know this game. The dockworker's a 'shill' - a plant for a snake-oil con's game. He hangs around, gives witness to the wonders of - whatever. Some time later, after the current visible group moves away and a new one moves forward or arrives, he does this again. All the time he just meanders about the area. So, we'll buy one of these bottles for study, but I think we'll get a lot more keeping an eye on this guy. Vendra will probably be too practiced and clever for me, but this geezer is going to be the weak link. If he's a shill, and I bet he is, he's some random guy who got paid; he's not actually invested in this outfit. Shaking him down'll be easy."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2015-04-09 at 02:39 PM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    Delta makes his way to the library to study up on what he can remember of the chanting, having been informed of the language, hoping to figure out a translation of what he was hearing.

Leave it to your imagination what Alpha does with his time. Personally, I wouldn't put it past him to figure out how to make fireworks.
    Shyamanal tutors Alpha today on some of the flashier, energy-based aspects of psionics, and gives him homework. Suffice to say, Alpha spends some time in the library as Delta. No doubt, the latter is annoyed by the former when the latter of this discussed sentence (ergo, the former in the last sentence) keeps getting bored at points and tries to engage Delta in conversation. Of course, plenty of shiny objects in the books for Alpha. Besides, all of the fun ways to blow stuff up with one's mind is never boring reading.

Delta, you don't find anything that acts as a translation guide for Aklo. Now, Aklo is mentioned in many texts, and is a common language of extremely old societies and races in the Vaults below the surface. (The Vaults is a Golarion term for the Underdark.) Derro, evil fey, inhuman or otherworldly monsters. There are a few rare mentions of Aklo as being the language of strange eldritch entities, and ancient evils whose names cannot be written. ("Why can't they be written?") There are some strange transliterations of this or that here and there; and make no mistake, even in the Taldane, which itself is translated from Ancient Taldane, in turn transliterated from Thassilonian ... the sense of this "poor man's Aklo" is unsettling and only hints at what you heard.

Finally, Delta finds a book that was written by one Aronnahar Zyianthus. She was a trained bard, a singer who studied at the incredibly prestigious Grand Lodge of Absalom. She and her sister, and others from their doomed voyage, survived a shipwreck on an island full of snake motifs and ancient ills. After defeating the "serpentine imposter" at an ancient temple under a mountain, her friends were rescued. When they got back to the closest city port in a place called Eleder of a country called The Shackles, several of her friends (including her sister) used clues they got from their travails with the "serpentfolk priestess" they vanquished to search for an ancient temple called Saventh-Yhi in the Mwangi Expanse (central Garund continent). From various sources and her own abilities as an agent for some organization (she refers to simply as 'PFS') she pieced together as good a bit of the language as she could. The book is full of hand drawings, and parchment rubbings of ancient symbols using an alphabetic form that is not in a script form you can understand, but is full of sigils and whorls and other things you just can't follow. You have to "re-read" several sections because it is so easy to lose your way in the anti-geometric nature of the writing that you can actually get "lost" in the script and lose your way for direction.

Amazing discoveries must had been made, though it is obvious that very key bits of this expedition were lost and this volume had seen tampering. The "ownership" of the manual is then picked up by a lucky PFS chronicler going by the name of Sarosel; the conditions of this change are unknown. Sarosel has notes written in the add-on parchments referring to the notes from this Aronnahar and he believed he was "on the verge of a great discovery." Shortly after this point, the very scientific manner of writing begins to break down over days as the chronicler returns through the jungle to western Garund. In the latter pages of what is now the script of a madman whose "discoveries" (still only hinted at on parchment) have gained followers, he describes a manner of contacting The Unspeakable One, the Yellow Sign, The Fallen Shepherd so that he and his followers would know great power. More of this strange and terrible language is scripted, but on the final page is, boldly and plainly in Taldane script:
    Ee'ya! Ee'ya! Tar-Ph'lugin ee-ya!

Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!

Alpha, after his study, has noted that Delta has been practically entranced by some old book.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta takes Paxre's comments to mind, and approaches the dockworker, in the friendliest manner he possibly can. Not a particularly easy feat, but he attempts it. He smiles at the dockworker and starts talking. "So, what all do you know about this stuff? I'm not very knowledgable about this perfume stuff."

Delta finishes his studies and cradles his head in a headache, lost in thought of what he has learned. Rather than do anything more, Delta moves to his room and lays down, staring at the ceiling as he thinks, while Alpha focuses on lightning small fires in the backyard, using the fires to destroy random pieces of garbage.

8. - Top - End - #128

The dockworker looks at you with suspicion and blows you off. "Then ask Vendra. She's the expert."

Paxre brazenly casts a spell in line, but nothing happens other than he seems to be .... more. Not in size, but something nice about him. He comes jauntily joins you both. He looks at Omega. "Omega, right? of the Epsilon Elite? If I'm not mistaken you and your group were recently deputized by Field Marshal Kroft .... of the Korvosan Guard. Well, see this medal? This is a Pseudragon's Mark for service to the city .... specifically while working as a form of agent for the Guard. I guess in a way, since I wasn't uniformed, you could consider me an undercover agent?"

The little guy laughs good-naturedly. "Well, Mr. Omega, I hope you and your friends do just as well. Work hard, and Kroft rewards those that do right by her. Just remember that some people in this town might feel scared about repercussions, but if they play ball and point to someone that set them up to something stupid it might go well for them. Try not to be too harsh on them, and keep your word that you'll protect them if they give up worse criminals ... such as poor shills confessing, in public mind you, that you were paid and put up to a lie. Otherwise, the Guard might take a long, hard look into one's life to find out what's there."

Paxre turns to the dockworker and smiles broadly. "What do you think, Mr ....?"

"Carmino," he gulps. "Solt Carmino, sir. It was a month's gold mind you."

"What was?"

"I was paid---"

"Loud enough so everyone can hear. We wouldn't want them to lose their hard earned money."

He hesitates, then begins to tear up. "Vendra Loaggri paid me to say these things, but they ain't true. Though, my bum leg does feel better. I ain't been sick, so I can't tell what it does."

More than half of the patrons begin to mutter and leave, and Vendra shouts. "Who are you, starting up trouble! Probably sent by any would-be competitors to discredit my product. Boys, please escort these gentlemen out of the store."

Beta was still in line, so no one comes to him. But the two guards come up to Omega and Paxre. "Out you two go."

They both have their saps in hand just in case there is trouble.

Paxre shrugs. "I'm all for a row, Omega. I mean, this is a crime scene they're trying to throw us out of."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-04-11 at 08:14 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Omega smiles at the large bouncer, pointing behind him as he addresses Paxre. "You're welcome to stay back and let me handle this." He then turns his gaze on one of the bouncers. "I'll have to ask you to put those away. I wouldn't want to hurt you. But if you wish to try to force me, I will have no choice but to do so. Now, if you are willing to leave me and these two fine young gentlemen to our conversation, we will be able to avoid any form of a conflict. If not, well, I am authorized to use lethal force."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume this is an intimidate check, which Omega sucks at, but when he fails, here is my initiative roll.

(1d20+2)[4] Because I want to actually see my initiative if combat breaks out.

10. - Top - End - #130

The first guard is taken aback, out of indignance and not shock. The sound of leather saps being squeezed harder by grip easily tells you which way this is going to go.

R1T16: "Garhg!" shouts the guard facing Paxre. Just as immediately, there is Muhrbala flying behind him, just having tipped him in the lower back with his tail.

R1T15: The same guard spins around to smack Murray but misses and shatters some bottles on the shelf.

R1T14: Solt, as well as all the other patrons remaining, scream in confusion and bolt for the exit.

R1T13: Beta, you are standing in line, 5' from Paxre, 10' from the guard that just got hit. With the mess already forming and what people are passing by, this is difficult terrain. What do you do?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta slides over to the door and braces himself in front of it, waiting for anyone foolish enough to try to escape while he leaves the matter of actual fighting to Omega.

Spoiler
    Show
    Beta will ready an action to attack any hostile that tries to go out the door.

Attack roll, if it comes up. (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage (1d6+4)[6]

12. - Top - End - #132

R1T13: Beta slides over to the door and braces himself in front of it, waiting for anyone foolish enough to try to escape while he leaves the matter of actual fighting to Omega.

R1T11: "These guys are punks, Awm" Paxre taunts the guards. "I think we can thrash them without any deadly weapons."

He starts to tussle unarmed with the man.

R1T10: The guard facing off against Omega holds off but has a guarded stance.

R1T8: Vendra is behind Omega screaming and shrieking about her ruined store. The guard in front of Omega swings terribly and wide and the sap smashes open bottles and boxes. He turns his face away just in time to keep from blinding himself from aromatic oils and barely keeps his footing as the floor has become thick with debris (very difficult terrain; slippery). At the same time as the guard rights himself Omega feels a sharp pain as from behind him a dagger has stuck between his legs to stab right into his femoral artery for 27. Omega shouts in pain and focuses on his leg for a bit too long and it opens up to a strike from the man in front of him saps him in Omega's chest for 10 NL. Paxre's opponent slams him in the intercostals for 17 NL, which is enough to knock Omega onto a table face down. His weight drags the table doily down with him as well as whatever ribbons and product and vials on top of him (no damage, just a cinematic KO).

R1T2: It's Omega's .... oh, wait, never mind. Do Vudrani dream of mystic sheep?

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T16: Muhrbala moves into the guard's space, forgoing safety to be able to attack, but Murray dances around the attack, even stabbing the man in his weapon shoulder (R) for 7. It's an outstanding wound for someone or something so small, but then you see that Murry and Pax fight in excellent flanking position, and there's no doubt now that even pseudodragons can be trained for some things. The little guy then slashes with both of his talons for a total of 13.

R2T15: The man is already too badly wounded. The guard drops his sap and wearily "I surrender." It's too cluttered to try and step out of the way and he's flanked. He just slumps to the ground.

R2T13: Yup, Beta, the men were using saps (one just surrended), but Vendra herself did amazing damage (on a crit) with her dagger and opened up Omega to get battered into unconsciousness. It will take you a move action to face the remaining guard remaining in fight, or a double move action to stumble over to Vendra. Or, you can hold position, but you don't get to keep the rolls. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-04-14 at 10:21 AM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta glares at Vendra, and like a flash, appears behind her, shoving his claw into her side with a growl. "You should have just left your stupid lackeys to their work"

Spoiler
    Show
    Beta initiates Fading Strike teleporting to the far side of Vendra and then attacking.

Attack roll (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage (1d6+5)[11]

Fully Lethal

14. - Top - End - #134

R2T13: Beta glares at Vendra, and like a flash, appears behind her, shoving his claw into her side (11) with a growl. "You should have just left your stupid lackeys to their work."

R2T11: "Neat effect!" cries Paxre cheerfully before a change takes over him. He manages to keep his combat awareness through instinct, but strange noises issue from his mouth and his left hand makes gestures and it is as if a dark shroud exudes from his skin to create a strange dark aura over his right fist.

R2T10: The other guard swings at the little flying thing and it seems like he should have hit Murray, or at least contacted the scales; but as soon as the sap comes into that spot there is a strange visual effect and Murray is still in the same square but 2' away.

R2T8: Vendra screams from the pain and then spins on Beta to stab him in the thicker part of his left lower arm for 6. She practically dances on boxes to get away from him. With amazing physical skill she manages to get out of reach of both Beta and Paxre without either of them getting in a strike. she gets to a door on the side of the room, opposite the counters.

R2T3: Another guard, similarly armed, opens that door. "They're wrecking the store! We knocked one out, but Tebald surrendered. Protect me!"

The guard stands ... guard in front of Vendra.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T16: Murray flaps back 5' and then winks out of sight entirely.

R3T13: Beta, it is 10' to the other guard (15' to Vendra, behind the guard). Because of her acrobatic maneuvers, she still kicked enough debris out of the way to change from very difficult to difficult terrain. You can tell by her fighting style that she is a swashbuckler, a lightly armored warrior that deals with light thrusting weapons. What do you do?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta lurches forward to the closest target, and as though a blur, launches his claw out twice into the mans gut.

Spoiler
    Show

Beta initiatives Rapid Strike

Attack Roll 1 (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage (2d6+5)[14]

Attack Roll 2 (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage (2d6+4)[11]

16. - Top - End - #136

R3T13: Beta lurches forward to the closest target, and as though a blur, launches both claws into the mans gut for 25 total.

R3T11: Paxre uses fist and mid-claws to attack the man, but to no effect with the man's chainmail. Paxre, as fast as he is, does not use his speed to good effect in combat.

R3T10: The guard counters to have his sap skim off Paxre's armor as well.

R3T8: Vendra takes out a wand and points to Beta, waving it and saying, "Just take your friends, forcibly if you have to, and leave my store. Please."

Vendra takes a half-second to see if there is any change. Beta doesn't feel anything.

R3T3: The guard in front of Beta swings with his pain so desperately that when he recovers he is visibly fatigued and panting.

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T16: A stinger appears in the back of the other guard's right shoulder for 5, at the same time as Murray appears. The man hisses from the sting, gets wobbly, and then drops to the ground unconscious. Murray then flaps down onto the lap of the surrendered guard, stinger-tail raised, and hisses. The one who surrendered doesn't even think about running.

R4T13: Beta, what do you do? Just the guard in front of you and Vendra behind him (and the door open behind her).
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta sees an opening and compressing his claws for a moment, lurches forward and smashes the guard in the face, hoping to knock him out. After he strikes, he growls at Vendra. "Surrender and I'll spare you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll (nonlethal) (1d20+9)[28]
    Damage (1d6+5)[11]

Yes, I know that Beta fights to kill, but I get the feeling that another good hit would kill him or cause him to bleed out.

18. - Top - End - #138

R4T13: Beta sees an opening and compressing his claws for a moment, lurches forward and smashes the guard in the face, hoping to knock him out. It doesn't knock him out, but the guard definitely seems to have the fight quickly leaving him.

After he strikes, he growls at Vendra. "Surrender and I'll spare you."
    Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    Despite however much "sense" it makes, Intimidate is a standard action (SA) or 1 minute. However, again, RP is taken into account.

R4T11: Paxre goes into a kind of trance again, and partially aware. From the center of his chest all color is absorbed inwards and it is black but for the look of stars. One of the stars pulses stronger than the others and it seems that the pulsing from the star matches a growing, pulsing red of Vendra's dagger. Not quite sure what is happening, she moans in pain as she takes 13 heat damage from the handle of the dagger.

R4T8: She points the wand at Paxre this time. "Defend me from this man!"

"Some kind of charm, Beta!" Paxre calls. "You're an oread, an outsider, so I doubt it will have any effect on you."

R4T3: The fatigued, bloodied man tries to step out of line to not get into this anymore. Considering Beta's previous desire, he throws a fist out at him but desperation wins as the man stumbles clear. He starts moving towards the front of the store.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R4T16: Murray maintains his guard on "his prisoner."

R4T13: Beta, you are 10' from Vendra. What do you do?

Paxre on deck, Vendra in the hole ...
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta flips into the air with extreme acrobatic precision, bringing his foot down upon Vendra's skull with great strength before landing expertly in front of her, ready to strike her if she tries a second time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiating Cartwheel Axe Kick, Acrobatics check (1d20+14)[23] vs. DC 15 when successful, i'll close the distance between him and her.
    Attack (1d20+9)[11] (Unarmed strike, nonlethal)
    Damage (3d6+5)[18]

Also, wasn't going for an intimidate check, I was aiming for RP

20. - Top - End - #140

R4T13: Beta flips into the air with extreme acrobatic precision in front of Vendra, but she moves only the slightest bit so that the warrior misses. At first it seems like a near miss, until Beta realizes that she is fine enough of a warrior herself that she likes to play it dangerously.

R4T11:
    Paxre takes out a light crossbow and shoots her in the chest for 3.

R4T8: She does some outstanding bladework that Beta can't quite visually track and before he knows it he has a blade in his gut for 18. She then backs up 5' out the door. This is an outside alleyway that 'T's so that Vendra goes to her left and right (she can't back up anymore, but she can turn). It is only 5-feet wide. "Spare me from what? The murder, armed robbery, and a host of other charges whether or not you win this fight?"

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T16: Murray steps "out-of-combat" to watch over the three vanquished guards.

R5T13: Beta, you have brute power, but Vendra has tricky bladework in spades. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-04-16 at 09:20 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta closes in on Vendra once more, talking calmly as he does. "You do realize, of course, that taking advantage of the Blood Veil crisis to earn a bit of extra gold for worthless remedies is what earned this visit in the first place, don't you?" Before she has the chance to respond, he holds up his hand, showing his claws receding back into nothingness. "Surrender, and we'll forget this fiasco ever happened. And I'll have my leader talk the guard into turning a blind eye to this. Or would you rather be put to death for impeding the royal physicians from actually curing this disease?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Beta is using his entire turn to talk. While also closing the distance again to be a slight bit more dangerous to her.

22. - Top - End - #142

"My store smashed, days of product ruined. No, I doubt how blind an eye your 'leader' has, the Guard has none. You let me go, and I'll head out of Korvosa immediately to not be seen anymore."

She seems poised to strike, especially since your "diplomacy" was backed up getting into her face again.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Beta turned away from Vendra, heading for Omega. "See that you're gone by evening then." He reaches to scoop Omega up, slinging him over his shoulder as he walks towards the stores exit. "If you aren't, then we'll bring the guard down on you. Do you understand me?" He turns to catch her gaze, to show her just how serious he is.

24. - Top - End - #144

She is out the side door and gone.

Given the Ward is the Heights, the Guard gets there in a quick amount of time. Obviously, Paxre is going to have to face this one. Not only is he just shy of Delta but he is very familiar with the laws of the city (something that in a city a 'face' should otherwise have). The Guard recognizes Paxre's mark (and a form of unofficial rank as a trusted of their Commanding Officer). The three store guards will be taken into custody, though Solt Carmino managed to slip away early in the fracas. Paxre unequivocally lies though the Guard sergeant doesn't realize this; Paxre mentions questioning the con's shill, but never quite got the name of the 'young lady.'

"He likes to give leeway to some who are unfortunate; they might become useful contacts later if they feel a debt is owed for not being ratted out," comes Murray's telepathic chirp in Beta's mind. "He's of a mind that the problem with these stuck up Korvosans is that they never get anywhere because many won't let themselves get their 'ethics dirty' by dealing with the lower realms of society. Just thought you should know before you 'jog his memory' in front of the Guard and muck this up."

All done here?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-04-17 at 07:15 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The party returns homes, although not before Beta speaks quietly to Murray on the trip back. "Delta is the same way. I have learned simply to not contradict his words." Upon returning home, the party seeks Gamma and allows him to patch up their wounds before heading out once more to report upon the shop. After a short visit with Ishani, they ask him if they can obtain his services to heal Gamma, ensuring he is in top condition to support their cause.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty much done here. Obviously I would like to report back to the Vaultkeeper and purchase his services to heal Gamma's Blood Veil.

26. - Top - End - #146

"Ooohhh, I hate asking them for things." Paxre puts his hands on Omega (before leaving the shop) and seems to cast a spell as if calling on some force within him, and far beyond him, and with a language somewhat disgusting to hear. His set of clothing becomes black as sackcloth and soon you cannot entirely see the outline of Paxre's body, as if it is a gateway to a dark and cold place. Omega's wounds begin to knit. Now, Beta has seen Gamma use healing, of course; and most other magical healing is about a mystical positive energy combined with re-creating the flesh, bone, sinew, and blood that was lost. There is nothing bright here. It is as if something deep and negative within Omega is drawn from him, and as it is, he heals 12 normal and 12 NL, more than enough to get Omega conscious back on his feet and walking home. Omega, as a brilliant healer, recognizes that Vendra's dagger was poisoned. Other than having been stabbed well and pounded, he is feeling just a bit dizzy but not totally off-kilter. Instead of filling Omega for healing, something was drawn from him ... and closed his wounds.

Field Marshall Kroft thanks the three of you for your service (what pseudodragon?), and she will have the matter investigated into further. She has nothing else right now, but as always please be ready.

Gamma has to blow all of his channel-fervor just to give Beta and Omega 10 PE. With CLW he fully heals Omega with spillage going to Beta. 9 PPs of natural healing is enough to make sure that Beta should be good with a good night's sleep.

Another press to get to the Vault as before (but we don't need to play it out anymore, you know what to expect).

Ishani figures that people like Vendra will start preying on the desperate (if no one else, Paxre will tell the tale of his heroism). His main concern, outside of the obvious plague, is that a healer of Gamma's skill has been stricken. Sadly, yes, he must obey the dictates of the God of Trade and Merchants and it must be coined passed. In this case, he charges 150 gp for casting. He saved one on hand for one of his brethren, but he is willing to use this for you. "See me sooner in the day than this the next time any of you are ill. You might not be so lucky and I might be out exhausted." (i.e., out of spells). The cost is 150 gold sails, which is taken out of your total pay for 850 gold sails total.

850 gold sails/ 5 shares (4 + 1 party) = 170 gp.

He doesn't have any lesser restoration for Omega, but it is far cheaper for Gamma to have a good night's rest, anyway.

The group gets back to Shyamal's home in the Midlands. Giving voice and violence to their fear of the plague, a mob of Midland citizens discovered a foolish, alley-prowling wererat and publicly executed him with a silver axe.
    Spoiler: What Paxre Can Tell EE
    Show
    As in many large cities, the tunnels and sewers beneath Korvosa attract all manner of unsavory elements. Combining elements of the thieves, vermin, and monsters that prowl the reeking depths, the wererats of Korvosa eke out a subtle living from the city’s refuse. Most Korvosans contentedly believe the monsters are nothing but stories to keep children out of trouble, and thus, the lycanthropes and their unwitting hosts have long lived in a kind of oblivious accord.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-04-17 at 08:23 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The party stay up speaking of the events of the day along with the story they heard of the Wererat execution, and then prepare to pass into the next day. However, before going, Delta brings the party together and takes advantage of his bound spirits special abilities to spread healing through his team, healing up both their physical abilities and their health alike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Calling it a day there, but I'll be sure to use Ubro's vestigial Boon to heal the ability damage that Omega took. In addition i'll also expend all the uses of Channel Energy necessary to fully heal the party of any residual damage, since each member of the party can be targetted with Ubro's channel energy 8 times during a day.

Also, unrelated, but for Binding Ubro, I do get a Totem bonus on my binding check without doing anything special. Just in case you didn't apply that to the roll last time.

28. - Top - End - #148

Everything set the same for the following day?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Starday, Gozren 6

The next day, there is a significant amount of hacking and coughing .... coughing from Paxre's room. Again. It seems that Paxre is very ill. This time, he has taken 3 CON and 1 CHA.

It is now apparent, once cured, that does not immunize a former patient from blood veil.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

After a moment of consideration, Delta enters and uses his spirits powers to heal the effects of the disease from Paxre. Once that has been done, Gamma enters next and casts his Delay Disease spell on him, before they allow him back out into the living room. Once there, the party sit together to talk about things. Delta is the first to suggest a course of action. "That story we heard of the Wererat. I believe it is something for us to look into. That there are creatures down there means that they could be spreading this disease. They could even be the originators. But we'll decide that when the time comes." Getting acceptance from his team, he looks simply at Paxre for agreement, and assuming they get that, summons his Eidolon to support their trek.

Assuming Paxre is coming, Delta sends Idell down first, and then goes with the others down, leaving Omega in the back to cover their rear. For obvious reasons, Idell is on the highest alert for anything he can and does see.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we assuming I'm using that bad but not horrible pact with Ubro?