Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Morning's Wrath of Stars OOC (Shattered Star AP Supplement)

Spoiler: Change/Update Notification
    Show
    This OOC and post will be constantly updated to provide additional information to include links to IC, game references, and character sheets. This post should be reviewed regularly, and be regarded as a 'living' document.

About the game -

The Wrath of Stars is a challenging, non-mythic adventure that illustrates many of the events that took place prior to those in Shattered Star. This adventure begins less then 8 months before SS, during the tragedy during the 18th of Erastus, 4710 in the capital city of Ustalav. Caliphas. The Black Night, or later called The Anguish of Caliphas, was a series of events that led to the inevitable destruction of the city, the death over 10,000 citizens, and the revelation of the return of the Dark-Goddess, Hensa.

The great gaping abyssal shaft left in the wake of the destruction left few alive, and even less to tell the tale. Many fled the country completely, the darkness that gathered upon the horizon a constant reminder of the hell they ran from. Some rose to defend the failing country against the darkness. Great, and terrible things rose from the ruins and the void, birthed forth from the bleakness. Unspeakable beings and creatures never before seen... and a handful of survivors the void had spat back out. Changed. Corrupted.

Some of those who returned were taken, enslaved by those who had wronged them. Turning them into weapons to enact their will upon the world still beyond their reach, to acquire the tools they needed to unleash their fury. These cursed individuals, progressively succumbing to their afflictions in body and in mind obeyed the orders of those dark masters. They killed, and hunted, and traveled far across the Inner-Sea. With their unique crafts, skills and tools, they sought the Sihedron. Doggedly across cities and nations, they unraveled the Pathfinder Society's gambit to recover the relic, slaying every member charged with its recovery.

This game details those events.

Description- The Story Thus Far

The stories had transformed from rumor to fact, almost over night. The confirmation of the cult's existence, and influence in the city of Caliphas had shocked outsiders as much as its own residents. The fear, the mistrust threw the citizens into disorder and chaos. Who was a cultist, who could be trusted? The disorder created a hysterical paranoia, the fear of history repeating, another Whispering Tyrant rising from the bowels of the earth or another such being. It was too much to control, pandemonium spread. Men, women, children slain. Any who could be linked to a magical practice. The Black Crusade began.

Instances, of true dark mages rising to combat their hunters did arise. A one sided battle, which left the profane casters nigh untouchable. They made no effort to hide, they fought in blatant disregard of witnesses in the streets. Events had far passed the boiling point. A call was issued, a summons that brought all manner of hunter and clergymen to combat the scourge. A crusade against the cultist and the necromatic energies sweeping though the city. All manner of foul deeds were performed in the name of justice and good. It was only by disregarding the wellness of its citizens that the rallying forces conscripted from all around the region, could level the playing field. Many took the pilgrimage to the city, some to speak against these atrocities, some to sell wares and supply the warriors, others to fight the dark cultists, and others still - seeking power - came to aid the cultists. Men and women of all walks of life flooded into the city, many of it's citizens fled, yet the population rose to just over 20,000 still.

The city became a stage, which many battles would be fought.
    Yet, with months of conflict and many dead. It was the day that the conflict ended that would be remembered.
    The 18th of Eratus.

After a series of victories on the Crusader's side, information regarding the location of a number of the heretic's leaders had been attained. An operation to end the war had been devised, a final grand assault planned and assembled. An army of faithful gathered upon the cursed Havenguard Lunatic Asylum. A number of disloyal individuals and traitors among their number waited for the chance to sabotage their mission, proving their loyalty to the dark cult. Even so, 1560 men and women entered the massive foyer of the Havenguard Asylum.

Only 4 would leave...

---------------------------------
    CHARACTER CREATION
    ---------------------------------

A great number of divine-casters and clergy participated in these events, which make it a great opportunity for a number of very extreme and odd clerics and priests. However, with the vast number of warring intrigues and lone-individuals who flocked to the city, characters may have their own reasons for coming. However, all characters are present at The Battle of Havenguard.

It is also important to note, that regardless of alignment. All characters progressively begin to slide down the ladder of morality as they are corrupted progressively by their curse. Character's will be frequently at war with themselves vying for control of their own will. Thus, Will Checks will be one of the most frequent saves being taken. It is important to keep in mind that Saves will actually be somewhat crucial maintain your character's actions, and personality. So it's best not to stat-dump too heavily.

It is also important to note, that the difficulty-level is also challenging. Characters should not be too focused on either combat or RP. For they wont have a very long lifespan. Most encounters are designed with various ways to accomplish them, however the various story elements and conditions can make combat very difficult. Survival should be the main focus for the beginning of the game. Starvation, weight, and medical treatment will be evident considerations upon starting the game. Plan accordingly and spend time during your equipment buys to outfit your characters with the resources and tools you will need to outlast your enemies. You are a traveling adventurer, equip yourself appropriately.

Starting Gold: 4,000

---------------------------------------
    Spoiler: References
    Show

---------------------------------------

The Curse of Sin:

The characters begin the game following their resurrection during the Battle of Havenguard. Each curse possessed by each character is unique and possessed a number of individual factors and conditions that add a great wealth of individuality to characters, and paints their progressive transformation into fearsome Malebranche, terrible spirit-demons that are the hands of the Dark Goddess.

~Rules:
    There are a number of general rules that outline how Curses function, however, the first, and primary rule:
    Do not share share details of your specific Curse out of game, or in this OOC.
    All information other character (and players) learn of other character's Curse's should be explicitly In Character. All mechanical functions should remain personal knowledge only. Each Curse possesses a number of unique and individual functions and rules, which can be extensive, these functions can be slightly modified on the physical level to be displayed in a manner that is fitting for that character. Curses are distributed randomly before the game begins and will be reviewed by all players before the game begins. Curses are possessed by not 'active' during the initial opening of the game. Players begin with 0 Humanity and 0 Corruption.

The Debt:
    A price was leveled upon each cursed individual for the renewal of their life. A Debt to be payed eternally... Each Debt is unique to the Curse possessed, however, a few things remain the same regardless of the Curse possessed. The Debt must be payed every 12 Hours failing to do this incurs a progressive strength of the Curse's potency and its hold upon the individuals mind and spirit.

Failing to fulfill a debt incurs a -1 Circumstance Penalty against Saves to resist the Curse’s influence, in addition to other Saves against the Curse. At -2 and every -3 thereafter additional cumulative penalties begin to apply.

*First; The individual must re-roll any Check to resist the Curse and take the worse result. A command issued, if failed, can no longer be Resisted, indefinitely. Commands made permanent do not reset after the Debt is fulfilled.

*Second; The individual must re-roll Checks to resist the Curse TWICE. Taking the lower result. The individual must fulfill their Debt every 2 hours. Failing to fulfill the Debt causes the Curse to inspire Corruption; The Individual is compelled to Commit and Evil Act. The Evil Act is very difficult to resist in this state, and will reduce the Alignment of the individual by one step towards the closest ‘Evil’ Alignment. A Will Check must be made, with the applied penalty and Re-rolls. The DC = 10 + Character Level + Corruption. Common Evil Acts include mass murder, torture, and other acts of depravity. The Cursed gains 1 Point of Corruption by entering this state, and gains an additional point for each Evil Act they are forced to commit. Additionally failing a Save against the Curse while in this stage generates 1 Point of Corruption.

*Third; The Individual is no longer able to make Will Saves to resist the Curse, and is immediately reduced to a Chaotic Evil Alignment. The Debt of the individual is fulfilled every hour, or whenever possible. This action cannot be resisted.

Humanity & Corruption:
    Humanity; Is a pool that represents the character’s ‘memory’ of themselves, the completeness of their original psychological and spiritual state. Humanity has a cap = to Character Level. While retained it grants a passive bonus equal to the current held value for any Saves against the Curse’s influence. (i.e; Level 3 = 3/3 Humanity, Granting +3 to Saves against effects produced by the Curse). This pool represents the character’s spirit and the damage it sustains. Humanity can be lost, spent, and traded. It also has a number beneficial effects while possessed. Humanity is gained in a number of ways, but primarily through succeeding a Will Check to resist the Curse’s influence.

*Spending; Curses possess a number of abilities which grant the individual power at the cost of their Humanity. Spending Humanity is not something to be taken lightly, however feeding the Curse increases these abilities effectiveness overtime.

*Traded; Some Cursed individuals embrace their affliction and by sacrificing a measure of their Humanity and committing Evil Acts they are able to steal the Humanity of others, increasing the maximum capacity they are able to retain.

*Lost; Humanity is lost as Corruption is gained.

Corruption; Corruption is gained through failing a Will Check to resist the Curse’s influence, but is not gained if the individual willfully commits the act the Curse compels them to do. Every point of Corruption consumes a point of Humanity, and vice-versa.

-Corruption is lost when an Evil Act is willfully committed that is in misalignment with the individuals beliefs, values, and actual Alignment.

-Possessing a certain amount of Corruption allows the Individual to access a number of powers and abilities linked with their particular Curse. However it also makes it harder to resist the Curse’s influence. (Each point of Corruption reduces Saves against the Curse by -1)
    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-03-01 at 07:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Morning's Wrath of Stars OOC (Shattered Star AP Supplement)

Hey there! As one of the few already selected to play, I'll be joining in as High Judge Samuel Wardwell, Sr. He's a Gunslinger 1, Inquisitor 2 multiclass, and had arrived in Caliphas a few weeks before the very beginning of the crusades, sent by his Master, Bragadar, a higher up Inquisitor of the church of Iomadae. He'll be taking the combat role of a ranged striker, and as such has a relatively low AC, and only average health. However, with the musket, he'll be able to do a steady amount of heavy damage, so he'll be able to help out in combat a little. He's got a decent array of charisma skills, but lacks a few of the more rogueish abilities, so he wouldn't be called a skill monkey, really. However, when it comes to this specific adventure, chances are he'll be acting as a sort of Party Face. However, if there's someone better at it, I certainly wouldn't mind stepping out of the way. His role is pretty versatile.

IC-wise, he's been granted the position of High Judge by the Church Council of Caliphas, and as such has been taking a much more aggressive and violent stance on how the cult-activity should be treated.

Spoiler: Samuel's Role in Earlier Activities:
    Show
    He'd been particularly active within the community as well, holding sermons preaching hatred and playing on the fear of the innocent populace during the day, and acting alongside small teams of like-minded individuals in the night, breaking into houses and searching for anything that could possibly link someone to the cult, to the infernal practice of witchcraft. Using methods that most would consider cruel, Samuel tortured confessions out of individuals who may have been innocent, and promptly executed them in public, as soon as a confession was gathered. His activities inspired many other members of the church to do the same sort of thing, but he was certainly the first. High Judge Wardwell was the figurehead of the violent, ugly side of Ustalavian justice, but he still did some good, for the executions and sermons gave some people hope.

That is, until the end of the first month. Horrible and foul things were done in the name of justice, and of good, and of law. As Samuel held one of his usual executions in the middle of the city, the Inquisitor was attacked by several individuals wielding dark magic, the same magic possessed by the cultists he'd been hunting. He was injured, and after a long battle, Samuel realized that the cult was getting stronger, and far more active. The Inquisitor went into hiding, like so many others did, but still held his sermons in safe places. However, eventually even the sermons had to end. A shadowy war was fought, with Samuel dodging several assassination attempts. After long months of guerrilla battle in the streets, word of a great and final assault came to him. And so, taking his musket in hand, Samuel makes his first public appearance, coming in to help take the battle to Havenguard Asylum.

He had no idea what was to occur.

So, with that out of the way, here's his character sheet!
    don't click this

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling for Health:

Level 2: (1d8+2)[7]

Level 3: (1d8+2)[3] >.> One, why. Taking average, as you said.
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2015-02-27 at 09:03 PM.
    don't click this

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Level 2 (1d8)[5]
    Level 3 (1d8)[7]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so Hatter invited me (thanks man), and I'm happy to see my buddy Desril here as well.

So, I don't actually see character creation rules anywhere in the first post.

Also, is it going to be a problem that I haven't played/am currently in a Shattered Star game? And I mean for either side of this: Will this spoil Shattered Star/Shattered Star spoil this.

Also, what are the allowed sources? I'm generally not a fan of most Paizo content, preferring Path of War characters. I aim for flavor over power, and Desril can vouch for my ability to take flavorful abilities over strong ones. I'm not going to be overshadowing anyone.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Okay, so Hatter invited me (thanks man), and I'm happy to see my buddy Desril here as well.

Also, is it going to be a problem that I haven't played/am currently in a Shattered Star game? And I mean for either side of this: Will this spoil Shattered Star/Shattered Star spoil this.

Also, what are the allowed sources? I'm generally not a fan of most Paizo content, preferring Path of War characters. I aim for flavor over power, and Desril can vouch for my ability to take flavorful abilities over strong ones. I'm not going to be overshadowing anyone.
    Yo! Think we'll end up with another Leah/Natsumi like rivalry?

Anyway, I can't answer most of this, but short version of what I can;
    Level 3, 20pb, 4000gp.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on what you're running and what I get to use. I kind of want to try out the Playtest's Mystic class, but can completely understand a GM not being okay with playtest material.

Might try porting Nadia over as a Hawkguard Warder. It's always struck me as an interesting idea (archer BFC class), and you've kind of inspired me to try developing Nadia a bit more.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on what you're running and what I get to use. I kind of want to try out the Playtest's Mystic class, but can completely understand a GM not being okay with playtest material.

Might try porting Nadia over as a Hawkguard Warder. It's always struck me as an interesting idea (archer BFC class), and you've kind of inspired me to try developing Nadia a bit more.
    Most of the OOC conversation tends to happen on Skype with this lot, care to join in?

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

sure, search for keledrath and add me. Somehow Desril actually turned up like 50 results.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

sure, search for keledrath and add me. Somehow Desril actually turned up like 50 results.
    ...posers be stealing mah name!

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Hey there, welcome.

I did not post specifics for char creation, in my original post (wasn't sure If i was going to put up a recruitment yet.) But glad to have you if you're interested. The creation rules are almost identical to the previous recruitment for Shattered Star which can be found here. Most 3PP content is allowed, just run your ideas by me. Path of War is good to go, and this supplemental game will not spoil any events in the Shattered Star AP (aside from the previous Pathfinders that were enlisted before the actual AP's beginning failing, in this case, being killed off. The original AP is actually rather stale, so somewhat hard to spoil any goodies.) This game ends during the beginning of the Shattered Star AP, but does not touch upon the vanilla AP's quest, story, plot development, or even most of it's characters. For all intents and purposes this should be considered a standalone game that is taking place in an alternate-timeline.

While that makes it really beneficial if you're worried about spoilers, it also makes it slightly difficult to get into the swing of the many changes that are in place during this alternate timeline as you travel from Ustalav to Varisia. To get an idea of some of the story, and the degree which many of these story alterations take place, I highly, highly.. HIGHLY, encourage you to read over some of the Shattered Star IC (Three times for importance lol) at least up into the prologue. The link is in the first post. I cannot stress how greatly this game and the other Shattered Star currently running both expand, and surpass the APs core story, plot and world. If you're currently in an SS game, just think of this as a game, that has nothing to do with that one.

Also, on the character side again.
    Every alignment is open, (with the exception of CE, unless you have a very good justification). I'm fairly flexible with builds and can accommodate alterations as necessary to help build a char you'll actually enjoy playing. The game's atmosphere is fairly grim and dark, but don't let that restrict your options.

Aside from what Desril mentioned also, HP is roll & average, as follows;
    Lv 1 = Max
    Lv 2 = Roll. low = Take Half HD
    Lv 3 = Roll. low = Take Half HD
    Don't forget to add your Con ;3

I'll take a look at Mystic and see how I feel about it. I have not read over the class before.
    Again, welcome to the party.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Roll Dem bones for HP!
    (1d12)[10]
    (1d12)[12]

Morning, wanted to throw this out there: I was making the character, and I remembered what ALWAYS turns me off when I go to make an Oread. They are medium creatures with a 20ft move speed, but they need to spend a feat to get the dwarven slow and steady racial trait, which lets them not be slowed down by heavy armor. Which means that, as a heavily armored Warder, I would be a medium creature moving at 15.

This wouldn't bug me so much if the baseline for normal races was 10 Race Points (all core races), while the elemental planetouched are all 6 (Undine is 7). Either bringing Oread up to a 30 base speed or giving them the dwarf trait would put them at 7 and make them not so obscenely slow.

EDIT: Here is the beginnings of Andavu. Need to equip him and write a backstory. Need to hear back from you about Oread. I would rather not use a dwarf, because I'm applying a very similar character to a Giantslayer game (dwarf Zweihander Sentinel with Silver Crane).

But for now, I need sleep.
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-02-28 at 12:42 AM.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Roll Dem bones for HP!
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

Morning, wanted to throw this out there: I was making the character, and I remembered what ALWAYS turns me off when I go to make an Oread. They are medium creatures with a 20ft move speed, but they need to spend a feat to get the dwarven slow and steady racial trait, which lets them not be slowed down by heavy armor. Which means that, as a heavily armored Warder, I would be a medium creature moving at 15.

This wouldn't bug me so much if the baseline for normal races was 10 Race Points (all core races), while the elemental planetouched are all 6 (Undine is 7). Either bringing Oread up to a 30 base speed or giving them the dwarf trait would put them at 7 and make them not so obscenely slow.

EDIT: Here is the beginnings of Andavu. Need to equip him and write a backstory. Need to hear back from you about Oread. I would rather not use a dwarf, because I'm applying a very similar character to a Giantslayer game (dwarf Zweihander Sentinel with Silver Crane).

Those are some magnificent roles, wow. So jealous.
    don't click this

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Roll Dem bones for HP!
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

Yeah, I dunno.

I think if you played the dwarf, you might end up sort of looked down upon by the scared population of townsfolk. Especially with that magnificent 5 charisma there. However, if he's going to be decked out in full-plate, it's possible just the appearance of a badass in plate would give the people some sort of hope. We'll see. You're Lawful Good anyway, so the Inquisitor will like you. And it's better than the fifteen speed. GOTTA GO FAST, after all.

FOR THE INQUISITON, Huzzah!
    don't click this

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Nice rolls, And i looked over Oread, you can take the Slow and Steady trait. I originally posted in Skype for the 30ft speed, but the racial makes more sense flavor-wise. Anyways, looks like it's coming along. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, my preference generally is towards Slow and Steady. I mean, Oreads are basically dwarves with a stronger Earth connection (at least the way I run them). And, you know, physically stronger.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to need those HP. I have an immediate action ability to force an attack to be aimed at me

Now, to pick my weapon!
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-02-28 at 10:12 AM.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Making a new post because I have an actual question this time

Went with a Lucerne Hammer and a set of Armor Spikes. I'll probably switch over to an Earthbreaker once I hit 6 and pick up reach with all 2 handed weapons (and adjacent with reach weapons).

So, I'm curious, Mornings, is this a published AP or one of your own creation? Mostly asking in case there's a Player's Guide somewhere. I've been using them to learn more Golarion lore. For example, the description you wrote sounds to me like the forming of the Worldwound, but I thought that was a much older thing.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Nice choice. And no this is not an actual A itself. It's just using the AP, and setting from the previous game as the story. This is a game that details events before the AP began. So its independent, which Is why I also recommended reading the previous IC, b.c alot of the lore/events are specific to the custom setting also

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. That Ic is just really intimidating. You and Hatter are scary

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. That Ic is just really intimidating. You and Hatter are scary
    Totally worth the read though. It definitely shows Mornings can make really interesting NPCs (and that I don't only play women, just mainly

Anyway, since it got lost to Skype, here's what I have for Cynthia at the moment.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Desril View Post
    Totally worth the read though. It definitely shows Mornings can make really interesting NPCs (and that I don't only play women, just mainly

Anyway, since it got lost to Skype, here's what I have for Cynthia at the moment.
    Oh boy. Kinky magus that doesn't show up on the Good scale. That's a paddlin'.

But eh, the way Mornings worded this, just surviving ought to build trust within everyone. So we've got that to sort of bond them.

Also, posts for Samuel are probably going to be less big sometimes? Maybe? I dunno.
    don't click this

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I no longer regret swapping Eyes of the Crane out for Snapping Turtle Stance. Not having Detect Evil seems like an advantage in this party.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

May the odds be ever in your favor ;3

Des - (1d4)[4]
    Hat - (1d4)[2]
    Kel - (1d4)[2]
    ??? - (1d4)[3]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

(1d2)[1]

hat- evens
    Kel- odds

[EDIT- FINAL RESULTS]
    Desril - 4
    Hatter- 1
    Kel - 2
    ??? - 3
    Last edited by Mornings; 2015-03-01 at 03:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Going to start leveling Eris to 2 (1d6)[5]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .