Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Goblins XV: Klik Here

Discussion of the Goblins Comic. We do it here.

Previous threads:

Goblins Thread 0

Goblins I
    Goblins II
    GoblIIIns
    Goblins IV: Live Free or Die Horribly
    Goblins V: It's Hard-Kore!
    Goblins VI: How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up?
    Goblins VII: I'm TOTALLY Gonna Pee On This Thing!
    Goblins VIII: This Thread Contains An Unexpected Variable
    Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!
    Goblins X: Orcs fall, everybody dies (horribly)
    Goblins XI: There ARE Goblins In This Comic, Right?
    Goblins XII: Your Home for Magical Limb Replacement
    Goblins XIII: Now With Goblins!
    Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission

Current informations on Axe Of Prissan wielders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wielders of the Axe of Prissan
    Starting with the most recent

Big Ears - Male Goblin Paladin. One of the protagonists of the story and current wielder of the axe.
    Saral Caine* - Evil Male Half Stone Giant/Half Human. Ally of Dellyn Goblinslayer and minor antagonist in the Brassmoon arc.
    Dri Featherknife - Female Human Rogue/Paladin. She was killed by Goblinslayer and Saral Caine after uncovering their plot to frame the sherrif of Brassmoon for murder.
    Flejj Hillmover - Male Dwarf. He fought Kore twice and survived. His family was not so lucky. He shaved his beard in shame.

----

Felsibeth "Soot" Blackbringer - Young Female Human Paladin. Youngest to ever wield the axe.
    Kelstride Blackbringer - Male Human Paladin. Soot's Father. Former chimney sweep. Killed by a Kobold stampede.
    Drose - Genderless Golem Paladin. Drose passed the Axe to Kelstride Blackbringer to prevent the demon imprisoned within from taking control of his body.
    Eled of the East - "Fat, over confident" Paladin. Was given the axe by Myorg.
    Mryorg* - Evil Male Ogre. Beat (but did not kill) Vilias Red in combat and took the Axe from her. Used it to cause great suffering before eventually giving it to Elad purely to make the demon contained within suffer after coming so close to freedom.
    Vilias Red* - Female Human Rogue. Was friends with Tivoth Fastfoot and took the axe after Tivoth died in battle with the intention of giving it to another Paladin.
    Tivoth Fastfoot - Male Paladin. Encountered Vilias Red looting a corpse and assumed she had murdered the man. Once he realized she was innocent, the two became friends and traveled together.

----

Kevitch Gritland* - Evil Male... formerly... Human maybe... Fighter/Wizard. Horribly mutated by an evil swamp. Killed Eldrock Cloudcry and claimed the axe as his own.
    Eldrock Cloudcry - Known in name only.

-----

Cal - Male Gnome Paladin. Egotistic gambler. Had a powerful, icy magic effect.
    Jelbin Crae - Male Human Paladin. Gave Cal the Axe willingly. Nothing else is known.

*Confirmed non-Paladin

Individual Magic Effects (IME's)
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the more frequent sources of confusion is what people are talking about when we're referring to IME's. Here is the comic's explaination of what they are. And now you know.

Shield of Wonder Effects List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield of Wonder page 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 5
    Shield of Wonder page 6
    Shield of Wonder page 7
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 9
    Spoiler
    Show

* my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Goblins XV: Klik Here

At one time, I feared this strip ever continuing. Glad to see it "moving" again, albeit glacially.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, im just glad he isnt trying to force himself to stay on an arbitrary schedule anymore.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, he is getting hundreds of dollars every time he puts a comic up, thanks to Patreon. Really provides some worry-free incentive.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

mainly posting so i know that this thread is here, but yeah. i feel once you have a good motivation (i.e. only getting paid when you post something) you tend to work harder on something :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

From what I gather, motivation was never his problem. It was perfectionism paired with an unrealistic posting schedule.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, for all we know the more he gets paid per page, the more he'll worry that the page has to be perfect because people are paying so much for it.

At any rate, I'm really happy that Goblins is updating again and I'm enjoying it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Jeez.

That Patreon is really insane. Did you ever wonder how much Rich B. would get? 5k? 15k? 20k?
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well, the Reprint Kickstarter netted him a bit over $1.2 million, for a total of 1078 (reprinted) comics including the two prequel books. So that would be roughly $1113 per comic, based on such an utterly unscientific benchmark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

You said it yourself, but just to clarify: That's money raised to reprint the books and stuff, not cash for his pockets.

Thunt is getting the ~1300$ from the Patreon minus some cut for Patreon themselves (I guess?). Probably still a nice grand in cash, for each comic. Mindblowing. Also neat for him, he's a swell guy

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

All hail the new thread. It was about time!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    You said it yourself, but just to clarify: That's money raised to reprint the books and stuff, not cash for his pockets.

Thunt is getting the ~1300$ from the Patreon minus some cut for Patreon themselves (I guess?). Probably still a nice grand in cash, for each comic. Mindblowing. Also neat for him, he's a swell guy
    Sure, but absent Rich publishing his sales figures for the reprints, we have no idea how much cash in pocket resulted. So I used the best numbers I have available.
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

13. - Top - End - #13

A more apples-to-apples comparison would be to compare the traffic of goblins and giantitp, and extrapolate based on that.

But...I don't know of any reliable source for traffic information, so: Glyphstone is right that we don't seem to have any good data as a starting point. (Alexa does indicate that giantitp is significantly more popular that goblins, FWLIW.)

14. - Top - End - #14

On the other hand, GITP.com is much more than just the comic, it's also the root site for the GITP forums, which are a gigantic discussion site for all manner of topics beyond the comic itself. The Goblins forums are hosted at goblinsforum.com, so they might not be counted in Alexa's rankings at all, in addition to, by the looks of it, being only about Goblins itself plus a general off-topic forum and a section for playing PbP games. With the exception of Board Issues and the relatively new Mad Science subforums, the smallest sub-board of GitP (Other Webcomics, ironically) has almost double the lifetime posts of the entire Goblins forum (249k to 132k), and we have 10 subforums covering basically everything under the sun.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2015-03-03 at 03:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Though, it's also important to consider that the current Goblins forums go back only two years, while that giantitp forums go back more than a decade. Those two years have been more of a dry spell for goblins than for OotS, too.

Anyway, it's possible to view the higher popularity of the giantitp forums as an indication that the comic is also more popular. But again, the relationship is uncertain.

My general impression is that OotS is the more popular comic, in part because its Kickstarter was such a world-beating success & because I think it lost less readers due to delay-attrition. There were so many specific factors that went into the Kickstarter working out, though, apart from the comic's overall popularity: sensational word-of-mouth; a lot of fans hadn't bought the books already but wanted them; the Giant offered great goodies; the runaway-train of pledges made it fun to join in, etc.

I'm hemming and hawing, because in the end, the data we have is poor, so we're forced to compare unlike things. I certainly wouldn't want to hold up Alexa for any more than it's worth.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Sure, but absent Rich publishing his sales figures for the reprints, we have no idea how much cash in pocket resulted. So I used the best numbers I have available.
    I seem to remember Rich mentioning that between the hidden costs and a bunch of other things, it ended up costing him money out of pocket, so "cash in pocket" would be a negative number there.

Either way, the Giant hasn't allowed donations for as long as I remember (asking for the money to be donated to charities instead) so I'm thinking he might not be willing to do a Patreon in the first place anyways.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yeah, it's not something he would go for under any circumstances, with his no-donations policy. So we're speculating to no ultimate purpose, but that is half the fun anyways.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post

I seem to remember that Rich actually "lost" money (or rather had to add money from his pocket) with the kickstarter because he underestimated some costs. But since he ended with remaining printed books to be sold, it was all fine.

Rich blew records with his kickstarter, don't know if it would be the same with a patreon. Zach gets almost 9k per month for SMBC which is a daily webcomic. Thunt would have to make 6 pages a month to get the same, I don't think it's going to happen before a while :D

Patreon is kinda weird for non regular comics. If you pay per month, you don't know how many pages you'll have for what you pay and put some pressure on the author that may think you're his patron.
    If you pay per page, you don't know how much you'll have to pay during the month and put some pressure on the author who's not sure how you will react to a sudden important amount of new pages (like, imagine the combo of the kickstarter 1-page-a-day-during-9-days and a patreon/page :D)
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Interesting, I didn't really think of Patreon as being donations. Sure, Thunt has the donation drives with Tempts Fate and similair things, but Patreon only charges you if the author actually produces something. Therefore I didn't think the Patreon payments as donations.. just payments for delivered comics.

That is to say, it's probably close enough so Rich wouldn't bother with it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Patreon is closer to kickstarter (pay for a product, and in the case of pay/page, only pay if the product is delivered) than to a straight-up donation, but it's also not a one-time thing like a kickstarter to reprint books was, it would be a long-term income, and so I can see someone being uncomfortable with that, especially if some people then feel entitled to try and pressure or content or something. I can totally see the Giant just not want to have to deal with any of that.

This being said, if he ever decides to have a Patreon, I'll be very happy to join it.

Going back to Goblins, does anyone think what happened to Forgath fulfilled his prophecy, or is he going to get killed by a dwarf with lots of screaming involved again? I mean he didn't die. I think. Then again maybe he's considered a different person now? What do you guys think?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Note: even though I am a moderator, I have no inside knowledge on this subject. The following is my personal opinion alone, formed on the basis of Rich's public statements and posts.

I doubt Rich will ever consider a per-month Patreon. That would quite strongly bring in all the issues and reasons why he doesn't accept donations - it would give people a reason to think they are entitled to a frequent update schedule because they think that's what they're paying for.

He might possibly consider a per-update Patreon. That has a much stronger link between each payment and one specific obvious thing the payment is for, which fits the criteria Rich has stated for monetary transactions he's willing to consider. Plus, it has a really obvious refutation for people who pay and then complain about the schedule.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Silly question, but MinMax right eye was damaged/gouged, right? What's the purple that flows from it?
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-03-05 at 03:46 PM.
    Ruler of Floating pyramids.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Silly question, but MinMax right eye was damaged/gouged, right? What's the purple that flows from it?
    It's not flowing from it. It's a scar. He was hit with a sword from his chin up to his eye, leaving a scar leading up to his eye, and that eye blind.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    It's not flowing from it. It's a scar. He was hit with a sword from his chin up to his eye, leaving a scar leading up to his eye, and that eye blind.
    close. not a scar, but a reconstruction http://www.goblinscomic.org/08252013-2/

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    close. not a scar, but a reconstruction http://www.goblinscomic.org/08252013-2/
    Ah, yeah, I forgot that part somehow! Which means that now this part of him is indestructible, like Forgath's beard.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Ah, yeah, I forgot that part somehow! Which means that now this part of him is indestructible, like Forgath's beard.
    Yeah but somehow I dont see Minmax trying to stop an attack like this So its way less useful than forgaths beard. Maybe it would help stop an attack that would decapitate him at eye level, but other than that, yeesh.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah but somehow I dont see Minmax trying to stop an attack like this So its way less useful than forgaths beard. Maybe it would help stop an attack that would decapitate him at eye level, but other than that, yeesh.
    Trying to catch an attack with a specific part of your invincible face does seem like a recipe for disaster. Would make for a neat party trick though.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

28. - Top - End - #28

MM is blind in that eye still? I must be remembering wrong; I thought Thunt said he could see out of it (raising questions about if that would make his vision 50% monochromatic purple or what).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

In the above-linked page showing MinMax getting his purple eye, he comments that everything looks purple. So, yes.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

he could always see out of the eye, but it was still "damaged" so the IME thing "Fixed" it, so now he continues to see out of it but everything looks purple now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show