Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Diplomacy by Avalon Hill

For those interested, who have never played the boardgame Diplomacy, it starts in Europe in the Spring of 1901. In the classic game, there are 7 great powers; England, France, Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, and Russia. The goal is through diplomacy and guile, to bring more than half of Europe under your control.

The great part about Diplomacy is that there is no dice rolling to resolve combat. All combat is resolved based on strength of orders, with equal forces causing each other to 'bounce'. In addition, all players submit moves secretly, then all moves are adjudicated simultaneously, so the tactical elements of the game depend on successful diplomacy with your other players.

Diplomacy is a fantastic game with several currently ongoing play-by-post games here in the GitP forums. If you're not playing in one, they are also interesting to observe as many players post entertaining news posts. Occasionally, a player drops out for various reasons and the game may even need a replacement player, so observing can also present you a chance to join in at a later date.

I thought that this would be a good place to discuss the game and to bring its players together. I'd be willing to track games and players. I'd also be willing to track the proven reliability of players. By reliability I mean whether a player has abandoned a game without warning or frequently fails to turn in orders.

So, if you're a Diplomacy player or GM, sound off! If you're not a player but would like to be considered for any upcoming games, well sound off, too.
    GM for Chaos of War: A Diplomacy (Youngstown) play-by-post game
    GM for A Great War: Another Diplomacy play-by-post game; clearly, I like Diplomacy.
    Avatar created by Electric_Monkey

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Diplomacy by Avalon Hill

Closed (Ongoing) Games

All the King's Men; GM EricDerKonig; Classic Diplomacy

Bismarck's Gambit; GM viggo; Youngstown Fantasy Draft Variant Diplomacy

Concert of Europe; GM Moody the Wise; Youngstown Variant Diplomacy

Chaos of War; GM Grey Bishop; Youngstown Variant Diplomacy

A Great War; GM Grey Bishop; Standard Diplomacy

Intrigue (Formerly Lady Luck); GM Makleveh; Standard Diplomacy; possibly on hiatus

Completed Games

Snakes and Snails; GM Shular; Standard Diplomacy; Victor: mdsoze (Germany)

Backstab; GM mdsoze; Standard Diplomacy; Victor: Damian_Blackclaw (England)
    Last edited by Grey Bishop; 2007-04-24 at 08:47 PM.
    GM for A Great War: Another Diplomacy play-by-post game; clearly, I like Diplomacy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Recruitment

No new games that I have been made aware of at this time.

Replacements Needed

None at this time.
    Last edited by Grey Bishop; 2007-04-24 at 08:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Greetings. There are those who call me ... Tim. But you probably shouldn't, because I don't respond to it. You can call me Moody, Moody the Wise, Master, Sir, or Stabby McBackstabpants - just don't call me late to dinner. I'm currently a player in A Great War, Chaos of War, and Bismarck's Gambit, and I GM The Concert of Europe.

I would consider myself a Diplomacy veteran; although those are my first games on this forum, I've played plenty face-to-face. I'm also considerably more honest than certain people would have you believe. =)

If you want to contact me for any reason:
    AIM: Londonwerewolf6
    Email: [email protected]
    PM: Well, this goes without saying.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2007-04-09 at 09:49 PM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I am also a fan of diplomacy. THough a novice to the game. I am playing in A Great War as France, and Chaos of War, (youngstown variant) as Turkey.

I am a novice to the game but enjoy it thouroughly. I have never played face to face and these are my 2nd and 3rd games respectively. I prefer the medium of PBEM, it seems to be greatly suited to the intrigue and diplomacy of the game (though maybe it is just because i have never played face to face.)

I prefer the original as opposed to the Youngstown variant. Again this may be because I am getting royally creamed in that game but hey.
    Last edited by Vexen; 2007-04-10 at 09:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Hi, I'm mdsoze, and I love Diplomacy. You missed Diplomacy: Game Backstab, won by Damian, and GM'd by me in your list of completed games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

You know soze you sound like an AA member there in your intro.

Yeah Backstab was a great game though it got a little weird and emotional at the end. I really enjoyed following it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

I've played Diplomacy several times (all online), and even won once! ...in a no-press game. I've only played Standard so far (and one game on Standard map, using the Fleet-Rome variant). Youngstown does intrigue me, though most games I've observed indicate that stalemate lines are a bigger problem in that variant. I'm not especially good at the actual diplomacy, which may explain why I do better in no-press games. I tend to be embattled but surviving by midgame...

Since there appears to be interest in a new game, I'll be willing to GM one. I've GMed two forum games before using DP Judge; I can use the Realpolitik tool and the rulebook to adjudicate here, if the players just want to use the forum.
    Last edited by EricDerKonig; 2007-04-10 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Minor grammar, spelling.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, I've been playing a lot of Diplomacy lately (mostly here), but as noted I ran Snakes and Snails. I even did a little power-point at the end of it.

mdsoze's game was Backstab and it was quite entertaining. I recommend newer players to the game read through it to get a feel for some of the intricacies. I especially recommend reading the end of game (EOG) statements submitted.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mdsoze View Post
    Hi, I'm mdsoze, and I love Diplomacy. You missed Diplomacy: Game Backstab, won by Damian, and GM'd by me in your list of completed games.
    Added Backstab. Backstab and Snakes and Snails are the games that inspired me to start the two I did. Good games, fun to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDerKonig View Post
    Since there appears to be interest in a new game, I'll be willing to GM one. I've GMed two forum games before using DP Judge; I can use the Realpolitik tool and the rulebook to adjudicate here, if the players just want to use the forum.
    Updated the third post with a recruitment list and replacements needed list. I have added your interest in forming a game to that list, Eric. Let me know if/when you have anything for me to update (game name, recruitment thread/official game thread, etc) and I will amend the post to include that information for you. On behalf of Diplomacy players everywhere, I salute you. GM's make the Diplomacy world go round... online at least.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I'm here. The games I'm playing in on this forum, CoW, CoE, and BG, are my first ever Diplomacy games... and it shows, because I'm getting beaten up in CoE and BG, and it doesn't look good in CoW.

Also, don't trust anything Moody says, he'll betray you in an instant.

Additionally, don't trust anything anyone says if lying to you would improve their situation.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd love to get in on a game if any are open.
    Avatar graciously created by DarkCorax[/CENTER]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I should get back into this...*strokes Bismarck 'stache*

I'd need to find the time so I didn't get so many NMRs, though. And stay focused on winning this time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J_Muller View Post

Also, don't trust anything Moody says, he'll betray you in an instant.
    Alright, that's really just not fair. So I stabbed you in CoW, big deal. You probably should have seen it coming anyway. You totally lied to me in BG the very same night that I stabbed you in CoW, so as far as I'm concerned we're even. Just because I lied to you doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with whom I am honest.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

And THAT'S Diplomacy in a nutshell.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shular View Post
    And THAT'S Diplomacy in a nutshell.
    Thank you ... I think. =)

-Albert Einstein

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueKnightGuy

I, as GM of the game Concert of Europe, have just received a request from one of my players for an 'honorable discharge' of his duties as leader of France due to an increasingly busy life. As you'll see from looking at the thread, it is not the best of positions, but it is also not completely helpless. With a new player always comes reconsideration of strategy and a diplomatic solution can most certainly be arrived at by a skilled player willing to take on a fixer-upper. Any takers? PM me if you're interested.

-Albert Einstein

18. - Top - End - #18

Updated the third post with a recruitment list and replacements needed list. I have added your interest in forming a game to that list, Eric. Let me know if/when you have anything for me to update (game name, recruitment thread/official game thread, etc) and I will amend the post to include that information for you. On behalf of Diplomacy players everywhere, I salute you. GM's make the Diplomacy world go round... online at least.
    Thanks.
    I'll hopefully have the recruitment thread set up by this weekend.
    The game will be Standard (unless there's a large demand for another map. I can do Youngstown, Modern, Colonial, and AncientMed. Standard rules only, since I don't understand things like Payola ;)).
    Last edited by EricDerKonig; 2007-04-12 at 12:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    Alright, that's really just not fair. So I stabbed you in CoW, big deal. You probably should have seen it coming anyway. You totally lied to me in BG the very same night that I stabbed you in CoW, so as far as I'm concerned we're even. Just because I lied to you doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with whom I am honest.
    Just not me, right? Ever?

Though to be fair, I've never negotiated with anyone who was completely honest. And I'm not exactly a model of honesty and integrity myself.

Though in CoE I really meant it when I talked about peace with Japan. Oh well, his loss.

Russia, though, I would have attacked anyway.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Hey Grey Bishop.
    for your replacement thread. I think you mean Italy in A great War don't you. Or did Kuhsolini drop out of his winning position in CoW? If so can I swap countries? I'd play both but i don't think that would be quite fair. j/k
    Last edited by Vexen; 2007-04-12 at 08:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vexen View Post
    Hey Grey Bishop.
    for your replacement thread. I think you mean Italy in A great War don't you. Or did Kuhsolini drop out of his winning position in CoW? If so can I swap countries? I'd play both but i don't think that would be quite fair. j/k
    No, he means Italy in CoW. KuH has decided that his life is getting too busy to continue with the games, and has requested 'honorable discharges' as you can see from my post.

-Albert Einstein

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

No, he means Italy in CoW. KuH has decided that his life is getting too busy to continue with the games, and has requested 'honorable discharges' as you can see from my post.
    I thought your Post was in referench to French Retirement in CoE. So Kuhsolini is retiring. I guess I should be sad about that not happy.

By the way, EricDerKonig, if you start a new game, I would be interested in playing if it was traditional diplomacy. Youngstown I found a little overwhelming.
    Last edited by Vexen; 2007-04-12 at 09:21 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vexen View Post
    I thought your Post was in referench to French Retirement in CoE. So Kuhsolini is retiring. I guess I should be sad about that not happy.

By the way, EricDerKonig, if you start a new game, I would be interested in playing if it was traditional diplomacy. Youngstown I found a little overwhelming.
    Well, KuH is playing France in CoE.

-Albert Einstein

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'd be interested in joining any games that open up. I haven't played much (it's mind boggling how difficult it is to get six other people to play diplomacy face to face) but I'm very familiar with the rules and whatnot. I could technically GM, but I'd prefer simply being a player. I also prefer the standard game, although there are some good ideas in this article which I haven't tried to implement yet.
    Metagaming - Inappropriate For All Ages

A Conversation Explaining D&D To A Friend:
    Me: You can also always get a bag of holding.
    Him: Aren't all bags technically of holding?
    Me: Yeah... but...

We are here on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut. Kurt's in heaven too.

Sign The World Petition! Save the world!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Just because I lied to you doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with whom I am honest.
    *cough*
    *choke*

Aw man you just made me choke on my lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

26. - Top - End - #26

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *cough*
    *choke*

Aw man you just made me choke on my lunch.
    Alright, now that's just not nice. =)

I was perfectly honest with you up until I stabbed you. And to be fair, I had perfectly legitimate reasons for doing so. And one of them, the Italian NMR, wasn't really your fault. For what it's worth, I did feel kind of bad about it.

-Albert Einstein

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, Moody ~brown smelly stuff~ happens.
    Hmmm, though that perfect honesty did only last a year however...
    Seriously though,
    Don't sweat it, tis only a game me old mukker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mdsoze View Post
    I wondered who won that game. I lost track of it after the server migration. I'm quite impressed that Italy wound up with the silver medal in that game, it's a very tough nation to play.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Meh, Moody ~brown smelly stuff~ happens.
    Hmmm, though that perfect honesty did only last a year however...
    Seriously though,
    Don't sweat it, tis only a game me old mukker.
    Well, it only had a chance to last a year before circumstances beyond our control forced me to adapt my strategy. And don't worry, I'm not sweating it.

-Albert Einstein

30. - Top - End - #30

My recruitment thread is up! Hopefully I didn't leave out anything.
    The game name will be "For King and Country".