New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 157
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    north from That place
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Snake Pit (IC)

    Introduction

    The piercing sounds of screams echo sickly in the black space, the very walls themselves seem to be in agony. You struggle with your bindings fear gripping you as you realize you may be next. The screams cease and you hear sweet words of release, sniveling and sobs; a cruel laughter pierces the brief calm before the screams begin anew.

    OOC Thread
    Last edited by hoplathemightly; 2015-03-21 at 11:42 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Saadkul

    The screams woke him. He struggled with his bindings but it was of no use. Fear permeated the room. He focused his mind to protect himself from it. No, I will stay focused. I am a Mage of the Arcane Order. They got lucky in the ambush. I will get out of here and make them pay. He felt for the ring on his finger but it was gone. Missing the ring that had been his father's and connected him to the vast array of spells back at the Order angered him, which fed his focus.

    The door opened as they took another captive. The little bit of light gave him a chance to look at those closest to him. Well, if I can't get myself free maybe I can at least help someone else get loose who can then help me. After the door closed he shifted his way to the one he estimated to be the best to help during the brief light. Being gagged, he could only make out grunts but it should be pretty obvious to the person what he was trying to do, even in the dark.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Zax struggled in the bonds he found himself in as he came to consciousness. Where am I? What is this place? His wrists were tightly bound and likely beyond his ability to wriggle out of them, but he silently worked at it.

    He saw others in the area around him, but it looked they were all in a similar situation as he was. He looked around for Sharret, but did not see the massive weasel anywhere. One small blessing he supposed in an otherwise difficult situation.

    He struggled some more in his bonds as the screams intensified again, but did his best to remain calm. Nothing could be done quickly when one was tied up.
    I used to run the arena on the Wizards site called the Core Coliseum. Sadly its time has passed...

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    oh... my head. that's going to leave a mark. Bartleby spits out the loosely tied gag around his mouth, noticing for the first time that A) he's tied up, B) he cant see anything worth a damn, and C) he isn't alone.

    "Hello?" He yelled to no one in particular. "I think there's been some sort of mistake... You see, I was in mid rescue of a princess - well, ok she wasn't really a princess, but now isn't the time to quibble over noble titles - anways, I'm expected at a feast about now, so if you could just let me go?...No? Well, it was worth a try."

    He fiddles with his bonds, feeling the reassuringly warm metal of his favourite ring. Maybe they couldn't pry it off your fat fingers... Bartleby heard the snarky echo of a former companion say. "Shut up Jeff...What is this? Rope? Kidnappers on a budget? Look, if any of you...whoever-you-are's in the room with me have a knife stashed somewhere, I'll be out of these knots quickly enough, I wont ask where you hid it if you let me borrow it to cut us all free... assuming I could see 5 feet in front of me."
    Last edited by GoldenThane; 2015-03-12 at 08:14 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Lain came to lying on her back, unable to shift an inch. Her hands were still, though not for lack of trying. For a moment she entertained the notion that she had died, and this was some sort of ironic afterlife, wherein her wish for stillness hands had been fulfilled by preventing any sort of movement at all.
    And then the screams started again, and she snapped back to reality. For a moment she was furious at the injustice of what was happening, and then she swallowed it. Now was not the time for fury. It was the time for concentration, focus.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration check to gain psionic focus: (1d20+10)[29] (need 20)

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Ponzi blinked himself awake. Someone was yelling. He could see nothing. Somewhere, he heard faint screaming. Was that just in his head?

    What had happened? It was supposed to have been an easy scam. They hadn't expected... this.

    Quietly: Who else is here? Keep your voice down. Whomever has us certainly isn't friendly, and I'd rather they not pay us a visit. I can get us some light, is everyone bound?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    No knife, I'm afraid. I'm Lain, by the way. Nice to meet you, whoever you are, though I wish it were under better circumstances.
    Feeling much more focused and calm after her brief meditation, Lain begins considering the risks of attempting to break the rope with manifested crystal.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    north from That place
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Bartleby's anonymous yell doesn't go unnoticed, the screaming is silenced and suddenly light pierces the blackened room. The light blinds you all for a moment and venomous voice spits out, Alright which one of you managed to get your damn gag loose?! The reptilian woman glares around the room, apparently her attention is much too divided to spot Bartleby wriggling behind Zax. Hehe, well since no one is coming forward I'll just take a volunteer, my last one decided it was time to be quiet. The woman steps from the door way and you can see the body of... someone, bound to a crude chair in the room beyond. Their skin is flayed, muscle sliced, eyes open but lifeless; the woman grabs one of the remaining seven prisoners and begins dragging them from the room, you see their eyes wide open with terror. Now everyone be good, it'll just be a minute. She winks at Zax as she closes the tight fitted door.

    Suddenly Bartleby sits up with his hands free and gag off, and a quiet woman in the corner also shrugs off her bindings before shuffling to help some of the less fortunate.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Ponzi squints in the sudden light cast into the room, and takes a quick moment to scan the room. Before his eyes can adjust, though, the room is cloaked in darkness once again. He whispers: Fritz?

    Maybe he got away. Oh Fritz, if you're still alive I'll give you a double cut on the next job! How would he get away? Oh Fritz, if you double-crossed me I'll gut you like a fish!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Zax used the momentary brightness in the room to take stock of who was not in the room. He cursed under his breath that he couldn't protect Sharret now.

    As quietly as he could muster, he whispers to the others, This is no time to be brave and every time to get out of here alive. If someone helps cut me loose, I will be happy to return the favor should a favor call itself in my name.
    I used to run the arena on the Wizards site called the Core Coliseum. Sadly its time has passed...

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Lain nods to the woman who untied her as she gets up unsteadily. Thanks, stranger. Still a few more who need out, though, and I won't be much help... Lain trails off, holding up her hands, which, free now, have begun their usual trembling.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    "No knife eh? I guess we'll do this the hard way."

    Spoiler: use rope check
    Show
    (1d20+14)[26] (spending an inspiration point just to be certain)


    As he's trying to untie those less capable: "My name is Bartleby Osterbarrow, professional adventurer. Perhaps some of you have heard of me? I once stopped a cult of Tiamat from stealing the eggs of a gold dragon? I suppose it doesn't matter...

    "Listen to me: we're going to get out of this. Now, who can do what, and what were you able to hold on to? I am a dabbler myself, my strength lies in having the right tools for any job... I'm afraid all I was able to keep with me is my ring, which isn't immediately helpful. Who said they could create light?"


    Spoiler: also knowledge nature on the snake lady
    Show
    (1d20+5)[21]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    As his gag is removed and his bindings are being undone, the man in the corner responds quietly and quickly. "Thank you. I am Saadkul of the Arcane Order. I have a variety of useful magics once my hands are free. If we find my ring the variety of magics greatly increases but that is for later. Yes, we are going to get out of this if we work together. I can cast light but I think it would be better to wait for the right time and not give away our semi-freedom. Most importantly, I can cast Silence to stop her from raising the alarm or others hearing us dealing with her. I doubt she is the only one around we have to worry about. Getting information from her would help but I can't force that out of her. We'll need to take her by surprise when she opens the door then kill her quickly and quietly. Then we can plan for the next step. Are any of you capable fighters without weapons? I can give the one in front a protection spell. Once I cast Silence our casting ability is obviously limited. Anyone get a good look at her? Someone should keep an ear to the door so we know when she is coming. Can anyone see in this darkness?"

    Once his hands are free and while others answer. Saadkul feels around on the ground for any small stones or similar objects. "Anyone have any useless item I can cast Silence on to throw at her so I can then keep casting?"

    Saadkul readies himself to cast Silence at the first movement of the door, whether or not he has a an object to cast it on, as he listens to the others' answers.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ski-Bird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by CU Rigel View Post
    Lain nods to the woman who untied her as she gets up unsteadily. Thanks, stranger. Still a few more who need out, though, and I won't be much help... Lain trails off, holding up her hands, which, free now, have begun their usual trembling.
    Magdalena rests a hand on Lain's shoulder, mistaking the young woman's trembling for fear, perhaps. "Think nothing of it, my friend, and call me stranger no more ..."

    "I am Magdalena."
    She announces to the rest of the room, her voice hushed. She had an athletic build, shoulder length auburn hair, and she in her blunt, straight forward manner, A certain roughness about the edges, the quick but efficient scan of the room when the door had been opened conveyed a confidence that was startlingly out of place given the circumstances.

    Doubtless, the woman was a warrior of some sort. Although she bore no implements that conveyed her profession, even unarmed and unarmored as she was Maggie cut a striking figure. The determination in her jaw, the fiery look in her eyes. She looked like she knew how to handle herself, and which end of a sword to hold.

    "There is no way I'm dying in this gods-forsaken hole." She says, her eyes darting around the dimly lit room, gauging the rest of the prisoners' conviction. "The next time our jailer opens that door, I will attempt to subdue her."

    "If I can get the jump on her, we may yet get out of here. At the very least, some of us should be able to slip past in the commotion and arm themselves use these foul torturer's weapons against them"
    Despite herself, Maggie shuddered a bit when she thought of the man in the other room, his flayed flesh and exposed muscles. At the very least, the room beyond contained small blades and for all she knew, the rest of their gear as well.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    "well then! It appears we have a plan. I for one am not much good in a straight up fist fight, but I can contribute I my own way. Lady Magdalena, please take this." With that, he touches Magdalena on the shoulder, says a few words of magic, and imparts magical armor on her.

    "now then... as I said, I'm not much good in a straight up fist fight, but I CAN sneak past in all of the commotion and try to find our equipment, maybe find other who are also caged up."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Quietly: Thank you, Bartleby. Call me Ponzi. I'm more a lover than a fighter, I'm afraid. But if you all want to prep yourselves, I can cause a distraction. Ponzi starts collecting the gag cloths from the other prisoners.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    I don't need weapons to fight. I'm ready. Go ahead whenever you are, Ponzi. Lain locks her gaze on the door, waiting.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready an action to target the Yuan-ti with Crystal Shard wild surge if she walks through the door. ML 6th + empower power for 6pp and 10% chance of psychic enervation.
    Last edited by CU Rigel; 2015-03-13 at 07:42 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    My name is Zax. I am no lover of war or fighting, but it is the way of nature that some amount of strife happens between prey and predator. I do not intend to be the prey today.

    With his hands set free, he rubs them together to restore blood flow to them.

    Now, I may not be much to look at, but I assure you I can hold my own. Just if I take that action, I won't be able to speak any longer, for I'll have to take on one of my ancestral shapes to make it work. Though wild I will appear, I assure you I will keep my mind and know ally from foe.

    I am also looking for an extremely large, but fragile weasel. He will appear wild as well, but he will know me instantly. I implore you to not allow any harm come to him if possible, though I know that is much to ask from a bunch of strangers.


    Spoiler
    Show
    If we can cast spells without being detected (or if a spell has already been cast aloud), Zax will boost his own strength with bear's bull's strength (apparently I confused the two spells on my list - but I intended the strength aspect.
    Last edited by TelinArtho; 2015-03-13 at 08:01 AM.
    I used to run the arena on the Wizards site called the Core Coliseum. Sadly its time has passed...

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Saadkul realizes the use of the gag still hanging around his neck. He quickly takes it off and ties it into a tight ball then casts Light on it. It lights up the room briefly but then he cups his hand around it, ready to press his hand against his body to hide the light when the door starts to open. The light is dimmer now but still relatively well-lit for the prisoners' darkness adjusted eyes. He moves opposite the door against the back wall so that when it opens he'll have line of sight farther into the next room. Again, quietly and quickly- "Anyone else handling Silence? If not I'll need another gag to cast it on. Otherwise I can blast her while Magdalena hit her."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Ponzi knots up one of the gags and hands it to Saadkul, tucking the others he has collected into his pocket. My magic is fairly limited, I'm afraid. I can get her attention, if you'll use your silence spell when she gets close.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Saadkul nods in accepting the Silence role. He steps forward, casts Magic Armor on Zax (lasts 6 hours), then steps back to where he was. The light is dimmed again and he has another knotted rag in hand for the Silence spell. "I am ready."
    Last edited by Cavir; 2015-03-13 at 09:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Ponzi ties one of the gags around his neck, and loops the rope around his legs and hands as if still bound. Whispered: Don't draw her attention until you strike.

    Louder: Ahem, excuse me, miss snake lady? I know you're very busy, but I'd like to cut a deal...
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Zax sets up at the back corner of the cell, ready to change form once the trap has been set.

    He silently thanks Saadkul for the protection.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stats in Leopard form (with Bull's strength and Mage Armor)
    AC 19 (+4 dex, +1 nat, +4 armor)
    speed 40ft, climb 20ft
    Attacks: Bite +9 melee (+4 BAB, +5 str) 1d6+5 dmg, improved grab
    2 Claws +4 melee, 1d3+2 dmg
    Improved Grab (Bite): on a bite hit, start a grapple automatically, if a hold is established rake (1d3+1)
    Pounce: full attack on a charge, plus 2 rakes (+4, 1d3+2)
    Str 20 (16 base, +4 bull's strength), Dex 19, Con 15
    Saves +7/+6/+8
    I used to run the arena on the Wizards site called the Core Coliseum. Sadly its time has passed...

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Bartleby takes up position against the wall with the door, crouching low in preparation to sneak past the yuan-ti and scout the area ahead.

    Spoiler: rolling hide
    Show
    (1d20+17)[31] (hallelujah for being small!)

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    north from That place
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    When Ponzi's voice calls out through the door, the cries and whimpers of pain cease. Then the woman's voice is heard, I knew it! One of you pieces of worthless scum managed to get your damn gag off! The door suddenly opens out, the woman stands in the light cast into the room. You all get a good look at her now, she's draped in vestments with glistening mail links beneath. With a silvery dagger in her hand and a twisted mass of metallic snakes wrapped around a wooden haft hang from her belt. Her hair is pulled back into a too tight bun and serpentine features of her face become hard as she sees into the room.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I would like, everyone who is not feigning being bound to roll Hide checks, and those of you who are pretending to be tied up roll a Bluff check. I'll be rolling Sense Motive and Spot on secret. These checks will determine who gets a surprise round.

    Roll initiative!

    (1d20+5)[19]

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Rollin!
    Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    (1d20+2)[11]

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Bluff (not including Circlet of Persuasion): (1d20+12)[22]

    Initiative: (1d20+1)[14]


    Ponzi tries to keep her focus on him. I beg pardon, your, uh, (he eyes her vestments) eminence, but it's a bit hard to parley with a bit of cheesecloth stuffed between your teeth. I'm sure you have your reasons, but can't we work this out in good faith?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    north from That place
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    The woman takes a step up to the threshold, Little morsel, Rythithuss will be quite remorse if his meal is.... her slitted pupils expand and her rigged brows furrow. Her gaze falls over Maggie's exposed foot, then she glares at Maggie with such fury you believe you've just struck the bee's hive.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So no one passed their Bluff checks, which means that she wasn't going to come in the room, however she's in the space immediately outside the door, and the door isn't blocking your path.

    Both Bartleby and Zax have surprise rounds, how would you like to proceed with that?
    Initiative order: Saadkul, Maggie, Yuan-ti, Zax, Ponzi, Bartleby, and finally Lain.

    Have at thee!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Zax's form shimmers and shakes as he transforms immediately into a leopard.
    I used to run the arena on the Wizards site called the Core Coliseum. Sadly its time has passed...

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: The Snake Pit (IC)

    Bartleby does his best to keep still and out of sight when the door swings open, prepared to use the yuan-ti's divided attention to his benefit and sneak out.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Readied action to sneak out of the room as soon as she's distracted (attacked in melee, grappled, hit with a spell, w/e)

    move silently: (1d20+11)[18]
    tumble(just in case she sees/hears me and I have to avoid AoO): (1d20+13)[21]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •