New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shoes for Riding Cat?

Cats have soft, fluffy paws. Which is cute. But when you want to ride a tiger for an extended period, the extra pressure is going to be hard on its paws, particularly on gravel roads. So, to deal with that, I wondered about giving cats effective shoes that can help them deal with extra pressure on the feet.

This is part of what's great with horses, you can nail iron shoes onto their feet, giving them very sturdy feet. Obviously, you can't do this to a cat (and expect to survive). So, you'd want something good for absorbing impact, like maybe leather.

Another problem still, is that cats feet are very flexible, and when they lose they flexibility it bothers them. Check videos on youtube of people who put tape on their cat's feet to see the effect. They tend to stand still and try to shake it off.

So, the question is: How do you make shoes a cat can wear, that will be mimic their paws well enough that they can walk in them, but will still protect them from gravel and essentially toughen their feet? Perhaps it isn't possible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Shoes for Riding Cat?

Something like this?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's necessary. I believe a big part of why horses get shoed is because domesticated ones tend to stand a lot on muddy ground for long periods, which isn't good for their hooves. That combined with running on hard ground is what I believe makes horseshoes necessary.
    My aunt never had her horses shoed and their feet were just fine.

With a big riding cat, you just would have to have one that is big enough to deal with the weight of a rider. If the weight is not too heavy for the cat to run with it, the pressure on the feet should not be a problem.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe just dip them in some kind of really flexible rubber?

That said I think if we're bypassing reality enough that we're riding around on big cats, we can waive the possible wear on their foot pads too. The space "Fantastic enough you're using a Tiger as your regular mount, but grounded enough that you have to worry about the Tiger hurting it's feet on road gravel" is really super narrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Get a mechanical tiger and nail iron shoes to their feet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

First off, this thread has one of the best titles I've eve read.

Second, I believe the most elegant solution is to have horse legs grafted into your riding cat.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post

Second, I believe the most elegant solution is to have horse legs grafted into your riding cat.
    But then they can't use their claws!
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark: Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I guess there's no reason you can't make those in older times, even if it's harder. Of course, while those are a tight fit, I'm not sure of their flexibility.

Yora: I guess so. It might still be preferable, if you were going to have it run over hard ground.

Mr. Moron: That might actually work. Rubber may be the way to go, giving them flexibility and some toughness.

Karl Aegis, Inspired: Gentlemen, gentlemen, why stop at anything less than guns for feet? Which shoot as you walk.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    But then they can't use their claws!
    Why not? I didn't say anything about removing their cat legs (with claws) I just suggested grafting on some horse legs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

wink Re: Shoes for Riding Cat?

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post

But then a question would arise:
    why were you riding a cat instead of a horse in the first place?
    Black is for nitpicking.
    Black is for sarcasm.
    Blue is for serious.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synar View Post
    But then a question would arise:
    Well cats have a lot more sharp bits on them to poke at your enemies with.

Maybe you dont have a horse available to ride; just a large cat and some spare horse legs.

Perhaps your playing in a system where your character gets a massive racial bonus to riding cats and a minus to riding horses.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2015-03-12 at 01:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synar View Post
    Because it's a 850lb bright orange killing machine with 4" long claws that is the physical embodiment strength and power, while the horse is a skittish flat-toothed herbivore that's more likely to die of an impacted colon than bite off the hands of your foes?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Maybe just dip them in some kind of really flexible rubber?

That said I think if we're bypassing reality enough that we're riding around on big cats, we can waive the possible wear on their foot pads too. The space "Fantastic enough you're using a Tiger as your regular mount, but grounded enough that you have to worry about the Tiger hurting it's feet on road gravel" is really super narrow.
    I'm going to agree with the Moron here (no offense ) and say "Ignore it." Cats in general are a lot more careful about where they put their paws than horses are, so they can avoid things horses might not. If you really can't ignore it, try using Cure Light Wounds Cleric's Cat Shoes once per day.

Out of curiosity, why do you want these? Is there some nasty effect you're trying to avoid, or just for "realism"?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Because it's a 850lb bright orange killing machine with 4" long claws that is the physical embodiment strength and power, while the horse is a skittish flat-toothed herbivore that's more likely to die of an impacted colon than bite off the hands of your foes?
    Do you know what people say who are underestimating tigers?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They scream "Oh my God! I am being mauled by a tiger!"
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

How has no one suggested this elegant, comfortable suggestion yet?

On a more serious note: This is a game where you're riding tigers and a bunch of other things like elves, ogres, magic, and dragons reign. Suspend your disbelief, cos if tiger paws are what's grinding your gears to a halt, well you might want to consider some other things first.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm just imagining a giant riding tiger doing the awkward 'why would you put shoes on me' walk that animals do and giggling uncontrollably.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2015-03-12 at 02:24 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I believe a big part of why horses get shoed is because domesticated ones tend to stand a lot on muddy ground for long periods, which isn't good for their hooves.
    Mud isn't good - too damp, causes fungus, just like it would to our feet. But that's no less a problem for a horse with a standard iron shoe. The big reason for the shoes is the hard stone/asphalt/cement surfaces domesticated horses tend to encounter; the added weight of a rider is another consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I'm just imagining a giant riding tiger doing the awkward 'why would you put shoes on me' walk that animals do and giggling uncontrollably.
    Why would the tiger be giggling?

On the other hand, horses cause a heck of a lot more human death and maiming than tigers do.

Jimmy Carr has a contribution to this thread to make here.

My idea is to just go the fantastic route. Magically hardening the feet, causing them to regenerate, or making them step on a quarter inch of air rather than on ground ought to do the trick.
    Last edited by hymer; 2015-03-12 at 02:52 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Tie puppies to it's feet. Nothing else could provide as smooth a ride.
    Awaken an animal and you make them smart for the rest of their life; Teach your Awakened animal to be a druid and they will create a new race and take over the world.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Tigers in real life aren't really suited for riding, part of why horses work so well is because of how their bone structure and stuff is set up.

If you're riding a tiger around, shoes are probably going to be the least of your worries if you want to tiger to be comfortable. So I'm going to sit in the camp of just not needing shoes for one reason or another.

That or training the tiger from as early an age as possible to tolerate shoes, and give them shoes like they do with dogs that are going to be on detrimental surfaces.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

You haven't met the right horses. A horse can bite your hand off, and could likely be trained to do so. However, kicking is probably more effective. I haven't been kicked by a horse and I'm still alive.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Heh, I recently finished reading a story where they had intelligent warhorses. Basically they were modified by wizards way back in the day. They could mindspeak to their chosen rider and noone else and they were massive. The one the main character rode was something like 8 and a half feet tall at the shoulder, (only fitting, the main character is 7 foot 9 himself). The author took great pleasure in describing the damage a metal shod hoof the size of a dinner plate could do to enemies as they got rode into a bloody ruin.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Enough reason for tiger shoes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Enough reason for tiger shoes.
    ...You actually raise a pretty darn good point. Just imagine other exotic mounts reacting to shoes.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Heh, I recently finished reading a story where they had intelligent warhorses. Basically they were modified by wizards way back in the day. They could mindspeak to their chosen rider and noone else and they were massive. The one the main character rode was something like 8 and a half feet tall at the shoulder, (only fitting, the main character is 7 foot 9 himself). The author took great pleasure in describing the damage a metal shod hoof the size of a dinner plate could do to enemies as they got rode into a bloody ruin.
    A novel of Valdemar, I take it?

I like the idea of floating just above the ground. 3.5 has the psionic uncarnate which gets a similar ability (for a point of reference).

Or put pieces of toast on your cat's paws and a few on its back, jelly side exposed. It will float on its own through the power of silliness.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    That or training the tiger from as early an age as possible to tolerate shoes, and give them shoes like they do with dogs that are going to be on detrimental surfaces.
    More flexibly dog shoes would probably work. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    You haven't met the right horses. A horse can bite your hand off, and could likely be trained to do so. However, kicking is probably more effective. I haven't been kicked by a horse and I'm still alive.
    I've had a horse pull me off of him by biting my sleeve and using it as a lever to perform what amounted to a judo toss. And then he stepped on me but kept his weight off just to show me that he could have killed me if he wanted, but chose not to. I happily obliged him and told everyone to leave him alone for awhile. The next guy, who thought he was stronger willed than that horse (and me), had a chunk taken out of his arm and was stomped on several times and was he was thereafter afraid of that horse. That horse would stamp at the ground and act like he was going to charge at him just to scare that guy. The other horses seemed to find that funny and they wouldn't ever let the guy up on them without reaching back to give him a little nip to make him squeal, and he ended up having to stop going to that facility for riding.

I wish I was kidding about a single part of the above story.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

None of it surprises me, either.

Riding a tiger sounds cool and all, but they're still cats. Cats are lazy and uncooperative.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I were going to put shoes on a tiger, I'd make sure it had cleats, climbing spikes, and probably a few razor edges along the sides. And maybe give the cat a giant spikey helmet and a metal scorpion barb for the tip of its tail, too. Because a tiger just isn't lethal-looking enough, ya know?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Mud isn't good - too damp, causes fungus, just like it would to our feet. But that's no less a problem for a horse with a standard iron shoe. The big reason for the shoes is the hard stone/asphalt/cement surfaces domesticated horses tend to encounter; the added weight of a rider is another consideration.
    I did some more research on it out of curiosity, and it seems the main reason horses have problems with hard ground is that most domesticated horses don't get exposed to it often enough for their feet to adapt. It it stands in a stable or an enclosure with soft ground all the time, it just ends up with soft baby feet. When ridden regularly and on hard ground, the hooves get naturally tougher to deal with it and then they are just fine. Some kind of horse sandals have been around since 100 BC and true horseshoes only since 900 AD. But of course, once you put the horseshoes on, the feet no longer get any chance to adapt to the ground.
    If the horse just can't deal with hard ground and slowly letting them adjust with a lot of maintainance is not an option, then horseshoes are the lesser evil. If you're a medieval stable keeper and have 30, 50, or even more horses in reserve in case the lord needs his heavy cavalry, then riding every horse each day just isn't feasable unless you get a lot of assistants (which cost the lord a lot of money). Shoeing the horses is just a lot cheaper. But they seem to be really not that good for the horses health since hooves are naturally a bit flexible, which is almost completely restricted by horseshoes. This means that the impact of the hoof with the ground is no longer cushioned and the shock of it gets completely transfered to the leg joints and it also makes the foot develop abnormally, especially in younger horses. In the short term you make a horse with soft hooves able to deal with hard ground, but long term its legs will be ruined at a relatively young age. I've read a number of claims that it can reduce life expectancy by half or to even less.

So I say for an adventurers heroic battle mount there probably shouldn't be any shoes at all. It's not a vehicle that will spend most of its time parked in a garage.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Runners can train their feet to run barefoot over any surface* in any weather. I'm sure tigers and other mounts could do the same. Is there a reason you really want to have "Tiger Shoes"?

*okay, any reasonable surface. Red-hot metal and caltrop-studded asphalt don't count.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season