New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Tweaking the Favored Soul

I really like the Favored Soul, a lot. However, I find it lacking in flavor due to the static nature of granted abilities. Not being tied to each domain makes them feel flat and uninspired.

I don't want to increase the power of the class; in fact, I'd bring it back in line with core sorcerer archetypes, but I do want to differentiate the domains a bit.

Here's my first pass:

1st level: Given the weapon and armor proficiencies, the addition of spells comprises the second granted ability (offsetting the additional hit point and resistance for dragon and tides of chaos for wild). However, I'm of the feeling that they are too good, increasing the total spells known for a favored soul from 15 to 25, a 66% increase! Given that, I propose to automatically add domain spells only if they're already on the sorcerer spell list. This boosts the attractiveness of Light (an otherwise dull choice) while still keeping Death, Life and Nature attractive without making them practically mandatory. On top of that, because the spells are part of the 1st level ability, I'd allow 1 of each level that isn't on the sorcerer spell list to be added to the spells known - players choice.

6th level: The extra attack feels very War domain, and very much not Life. Because of this, I propose new abilities for 6th, dependent upon the domain chosen at 1st level. I realize that at 6th level, sorcerers have 6 Sorcery Points, and thus could theoretically fuel 3 uses of the normal Channel Divinity abilities of some of the domains (and more, by converting slots to points). However, I feel that because Sorcery Points are a very versatile multi-use resource, most players won't be using them in this fashion. Likewise, Channel Divinity recharges on a short rest, Sorcery Points do not - so depending on the number of rests a party takes, a cleric could have the same number of uses. Because of these factors, I feel that this is balanced with clerics.

Death: Spend 2 Sorcery Points to gain a single use of Touch of Death (as per Death cleric domain).
    Knowledge: Expertise in 1 skill of choice. Spend 2 Sorcery Points to gain Knowledge of the Ages (as per Knowledge cleric domain) for 1 hour.
    Life: Spend 2 Sorcery Points to create the Aura of Protection (as per Paladin) for 1 minute.
    Light: Spend 2 Sorcery Points to gain a single use of Radiance of the Dawn (as per Light cleric domain).
    Nature: Spend 2 Sorcery Points to create the Aura of Warding (as per Ancients Paladin) for 1 minute.
    Tempest: Spend 2 Sorcery Points to gain a single use of Destructive Wrath (as per Tempest cleric domain).
    Trickery: Spend 2 Sorcery Points to gain a single use of Cloak of Shadows (as per Trickery cleric domain).
    War: Extra attack

14th Level: Wings are cool, who doesn't like free flight? However, I think they could be more in line with the domains - fluff changes that don't alter the mechanics (I wouldn't force players to take these, but my NPC Favored Souls would be known by their flight fluff).

Death: Skeletal dragon wings.
    Knowledge: Four scintillating feathered wings moving in oscillation (think seraphim from the bible).
    Life: White feathered wings.
    Light: The caster takes on a (non-damaging) fiery apparition.
    Nature: The caster takes on the appearance of a djinn; the lower half of their body becoming a whirlwind - does not provide any additional effects other than flight.
    Tempest: A stormcloud that spits non-damaging lightning bolts appears under the casters feet and allows him to fly. Does not provide any additional effects other than flight and is intangible for anyone else.
    Trickery: Black cape-like wings; batman-esque.
    War: Iron (armored) wings or steampunk jets.

18th Level: The capstone ability is on par for Life, but makes no sense for Death or War. Again, I'd like to feature domain specific abilities that are on par with Power of the Chosen.

Death: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you leech hit points from your target, doing additional necrotic damage to them and healing an amount equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level.
    Knowledge: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you gain a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level to one Ability Check, Armor Class (as a reaction until the start of your next turn) or Saving Throw if used within the next hour.
    Life: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level.
    Light: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you deal radiant damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + twice the spell’s level.
    Nature: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level.
    Tempest: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you deal thunder damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + twice the spell’s level.
    Trickery: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you can cloak a number of allies within 30 feet of you equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level with invisibility that lasts 1 minute.
    War: Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells you learned from your Chosen of the Gods class feature, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level. These temporary hit points do not stack.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2015-04-15 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Knowledge domain level 18 ability clarification
    Trollbait extraordinaire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Tweaking the Favored Soul

Looks great! 2 minor things:

1) Spells known: can the sorcerer use his normal spells known to learn the spells he's no longer getting for free, or is he just barred from those spells?

2) Knowledge capstone: AC checks aren't a thing. Can you add it to your AC before the attack is rolled, or after?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post

1) Spells known: can the sorcerer use his normal spells known to learn the spells he's no longer getting for free, or is he just barred from those spells?

2) Knowledge capstone: AC checks aren't a thing. Can you add it to your AC before the attack is rolled, or after?
    1.) If the sorcerer can't learn the spell, then they don't really have it, do they? I'm pretty sure the intent was for them to learn the spell, just not automatically.

2.) Maybe Theodoxus meant attacks, rather than AC checks? Not sure, really…
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really like how you manage to modify the abilities to reflect more the domain the Favored Soul choose.
    Replacing the extra attack with a use of channel divinity at the cost of sorcery points make sense.

As for the bonus spells, I'd simply add the domain spells to the list the sorcerer may choose from instead of giving them free spell. Maybe give them a additionnal small bonus if you believe it's not comparable to Draconic Resilience (Tide of Chaos is more on par)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post

1) Yes, the idea is the domain spells are added to the sorcerer list of spells, just that the ones that are already on the spell list were automatically learned at no additional cost. They behave the same as any other sorcerer spell, you can swap them out at a later level if you so desire.

2) I clarified my intent. It's a reaction, akin to Shield, that allows the caster to add their Cha mod and spell level to their AC before an attack is resolved.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DanyBallon View Post
    I really like how you manage to modify the abilities to reflect more the domain the Favored Soul choose.
    Replacing the extra attack with a use of channel divinity at the cost of sorcery points make sense.

As for the bonus spells, I'd simply add the domain spells to the list the sorcerer may choose from instead of giving them free spell. Maybe give them a additionnal small bonus if you believe it's not comparable to Draconic Resilience (Tide of Chaos is more on par)
    That was my first inclination, but I couldn't think of anything, either universal or by domain that fit the bill. But I'll ruminate more - and if anyone has any suggestions, I'll gladly take them!
    Trollbait extraordinaire

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I do like it, especially for giving good options to other domains, but at this point isn't starting to develop into a subclass with sub-subclasses? I'd try to emulate the draconic sorcerer a little more closely - yes, you do choose your dragon ancestor, but the effects are mostly similar across all the choices.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

The differently fluffed flight abilities are fantastic. I'd worry a little bit about the interaction with armour, though - it seems like the Life Cleric will have trouble flying in any armour that hasn't been specially adapted, the War Cleric will need a particular adapted suit of armour to fly at all, and the Tempest Cleric will be able to fly no matter what. I suppose you just have to trust the DM and player to cooperate so it's no more nor less of an issue that the player is happy with.