New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 812
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Wrath of the Righteous IC

    OoC Thread

    It is dark.

    The air is full of dust, and carries the distant scent of smoke and freshly disturbed earth. It is thick and cloying, almost stagnant, given motion only by the movement of your limbs and your own slow breathing.

    You are in pain. The pain is not localized, but rather takes the form of a dull ache that radiates through your entire body. It feels as though you fell a considerable distance and landed on something hard and unyielding - the feel of raw stone underneath you supports the theory.

    Where are you? The last memory you have puts you in Kenabres, in the middle of some kind of celebration... and then this. Your head hurts a great deal - did you sustain a hit there at some point? Is that why everything is so... fuzzy?

    One thing is for sure. You won't find any answers just sitting here...

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, jumping right into it. You've awoken with aching heads in some kind of cavern. Feel free to use this as a way of introducing your characters.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Qiyana sits up, rubbing an aching head, and looks about herself. The darkness poses no hindrance, so she easily makes out the forms of a human and dwarf lying nearby. "By the gods, what did I drink? I didn't think it was that much..." She mumbles to herself as she struggles to control her stomach and block out the dull ache deep in her chest.

    "Where am I? What is this place? Hells bells, I hope he didn't think I was ready already...." She recalls faint details of the conversation.

    Spoiler: Flashback
    Show
    "I want to be a Riftwarden, sir"
    "You?" the guard captain replies, incredulous. "I would have thought you'd be more interested in advancing your needlework than guard duty!" he adds. "I suppose I can get you in touch with the right people..."


    "no... I had another slice of veal after that... Gods, my head hurts." She struggles to her feet, and almost immediately loses her balance and falls to a knee. "Ugh. Taking it slower. Got it." Finally, the human and dwarf begin to stir. "Hmmm... maybe they know something I don't.... Probably shouldn't get my hopes up."

    She reclines onto her haunches, prepared for the moment to wait for her allies to recover somewhat.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Karsten just lay there for a moment in a daze, and when he tried to speak all he could manage was a wordless groan. Steeling himself, he croaked "Anyone else out there?" As he said it, he tried to rise to his feet and found himself struggling to do so. As a few more of his wits returned, he realized his pack was still strapped to his back. Full kit for a week's march, he remembered, though he couldn't recall where it was he was supposed to be marching to. He did remember that he should have a flint and steel, and some torches. He fumbled in the dark for the items, eventually finding them, and he lit a torch.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    It takes a few tries for Karsten to light the torch, but once it has ignited the light it provides gives a much better look at the surrounding environment. Two of you can see quite well in the dark, of course, but even so the extra illumination is useful.

    You are indeed in a vast cavern, one large enough to hold a moderately sized village. There has evidently been a cave-in recently, for large sections of the roof have come away and there are piles of rubble all around you, perhaps the reason for the dust. You remember hearing about a series of caverns underneath Kenabres, natural landmarks that have existed for longer than the city itself, but how did you come to be here?

    Armasse. It happened during Armasse, the Iomedian festival. You were in Clydwell Plaza, near the Cathedral, and Lord Hulrun had just ascended the makeshift stage to make some kind of speech. You remember how impressive he looked, clad in his golden armour that shone in the light of the noon-day sun. And then...

    Fire. A horrendous cracking noise, as though the world itself were splitting in two, followed by the roar of flames. To the west, you remember seeing a plume of smoke and lightning spearing towards the heavens, visible for miles...


    The first fragments of memory are returning to each of you now - confused and difficult to interpret, but undeniable all the same. Perhaps some of the others remember more? You can already tell that you are not the only ones here. Three of you - two humanoids and a dwarf - have landed close together, but there are at least a handful more just a bit further into the cavern.

    You can see a lean woman in leather armour, a pale-haired elf in scholars robes, and a balding human in what might be rich merchant's attire. Each of them are slowly stirring. And beyond them... broken bodies litter the ground, some half concealed by piles of rubble, others on full gory display.

    Whatever force brought you here, it seems evident that not everybody survived it.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Groaning, Thrar sits up and rubs his head. Living in misery like this was fine, but waking up to it... That was enough to make the grey dwarf cranky. After looking around and sniffing, however, the familiar smell of a cave-in reaches the duergar's nostrils. He is instantly awake and up, pick in hand.

    "Bloody surface workmanship... What's the point of holdin' a festival if the ground won't stay up? Back in my hold..." Thrar drifts off as he begins to fully appreciate the number of dead bodies surrounding them. His pick lowers in disbelief. "Damn... This looks like the days of the Shaking Earth..." Shaking his head of the horrible stories, the dwarf reslings his pick and dashes toward the bodies. He begins moving pieces of rubble, trying to see if anyone is still alive. Least I can do, Mordin...

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    It doesn't take long for Thrar to identify that of all those who fell into the chamber, only the six currently moving are actually still alive. Most of those who died seem to be civilians and soldiers who were attending the festival, and perished from the fall when the floor gave way.

    Thrar's own experience in a mine and keen sense for stone tells him that the cavern itself seems stable enough at a glance, though the piles of rubble are somewhat worrying. Actually, a fall from the height of the roof above you should have been fatal for everyone...

    "Hey..." One of the other survivors, the slender woman in leather, calls out to the dwarf as she spots him moving nearby. "Can I get some help? My... my leg, it's trapped under the stone..."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Karsten left his pack where it was for now, and made his way over to the voice and movement. "Just hang on, we'll get you out." He held his torch up to see what they were dealing with, and looked around the debris for anything that could be used as a lever.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Karsten left his pack where it was for now, and made his way over to the voice and movement. "Just hang on, we'll get you out." He held his torch up to see what they were dealing with, and looked around the debris for anything that could be used as a lever.
    Moving closer, you get a better look at the woman. She's lean in the way that a professional dancer or acrobat might be, wearing the leather armour and light weapons of a scout. Her black hair is cropped short, and her slender face wracked with pain. Actually, you think you recognize her...

    The ground was breaking apart, whole sections cracking and moving on their own, leaving great trenches and chasms everywhere. From some emerged clouds of steam and ash, and from others...

    Demons. Hundreds of them, in a mad profusion of forms, crawling up through the cracks in the ground or emerging from thin air with their native teleportation. Laughing cruelly, falling on the disorganized and panicking citizens with murderous glee even as the ground collapsed around you...

    Nearby, a slender woman in leather armour topples into one of the forming chasms with a cry, holding her hand out desperately in the direction of green skinned woman in heavy armour...


    It's not hard to see the source of her pain. Her left leg is currently pinned under a sizeable lump of stone, and judging from what you can see it's likely that she's suffered at least one broken bone.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    "Hey..." One of the other survivors, the slender woman in leather, calls out to the dwarf as she spots him moving nearby. "Can I get some help? My... my leg, it's trapped under the stone..."
    Qiyana joins the search for survivors as the woman calls out. She grimaces at the sight of the oddly-bent leg bone. "Sit still, dear. We'll take care of you." Looking up at the dwarf, she notices his skin coloration for the first time and starts suddenly. "You! You're a..." she catches the exclamation in her throat, before she offends the man. "Someone around here has to have a staff or a club, right? Let's see if we can get this stone off her leg. Can any of you help set or mend the break? I've never been very... um... comfortable around blood." She offers a sheepish, wan smile as she continues to pointedly avoid looking below the trapped woman's face.

    Suddenly recalling the scene, she looks around anxiously. Her hand instinctively goes to her quiver where her crossbow is stored and she loads the weapon as she searches for a staff nearby.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    A quick check reveals a complete absence of any Demons, which is fortunate. None of them seem to have followed you down here.

    "I have a staff." One of the other survivors, the elf in the robes, calls out. "Give me a moment... and can someone get a light going? Can't see a damned thing..."

    Slowly, the elf picks himself up off the ground and begins shuffling over in your general direction. He does indeed have a staff - a long wooden one inscribed with what seem to be devotional sigils, which he is presently using to feel out the ground in front of him as he advances. Together with the robes, it seems obvious he's some kind of wizard.

    As he draws closer, you get a good look at his face... or rather, what is left of it. Something has inflicted truly horrific injuries on the elf - great gashes that cross his face and seem to have been inflicted by something that was both very sharp and very hot. Though he says nothing and there is no sign of pain in his voice, the elf is quite obviously bleeding, burned and blind.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    As the elf approaches, Qiyana rises and walks him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    "I have a staff." One of the other survivors, the elf in the robes, calls out. "Give me a moment... and can someone get a light going? Can't see a damned thing..."
    Noting his usage of the staff, she reaches out with her hand to touch his arm. "I'm about to touch you... and have bad news." She gently grabs his forearm, and leads him towards the trapped woman. "Something appears to have... um... destroyed your eyesight. There is a burning torch right here." She moves his hand closer to the torch, to feel its heat. "I'm sorry."

    Qiyana looks nearly on the verge of tears as the man's face registers what his senses are telling him. "What did we do to deserve this?" she asks no one in particular, as she gently lowers the elf to the ground. "I'll return this to you in just a moment. I promise" She takes the staff from him, and hands it to one of other two- clearly stronger than she- to use to pry the trapped woman's leg free.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    "...ah." The elf says weakly, accepting your help to sit down. "That's... well, it's unfortunate, but I suppose I still got off fairly lightly."

    The woman pinned under the rock looks up at the sound of his voice, squinting slightly in the torchlight. "Is that you, Aravashnial? It's good to see you survived, but... oh gods, what happened?"

    "It is indeed." The elf says, and despite it all manages a wry smile. "I'm afraid I got a bit too close to Khorramzedah during the attack. He caught me a glancing blow with that whip."

    Khorramzedah, Storm King of the Worldwound. A massive figure of smoke and flame, roughly humanoid but built to an inhuman scale, towering over the mortals that tried to oppose him and even the buildings they lived in. A Balor Lord, one of the single mightiest creatures in all the Abyss.

    You recall the sight of his terrible form, slight glimpses caught between the clouds of smoke and ash that rapidly blanketed the city. Roaring loud enough to make your ears bleed, he led the assault on Kenabres, slaughtering his way through any that opposed him. No man could stand before him and live, for no blade could mark his hide and no spell could pierce the arcane protections that made the air around him shimmer with force. Yet there were some who tried regardless.

    The sight of Terendelev flying into battle is one you are unlikely to ever forget. The Balor was almost on top of you, shattering buildings with every swing of his blazing sword, when the ancient silver dragon arrived. You recall the violence of their clash, Dragon against Demon, sword against fang and fire against ice. You remember the sight of Khorramzedah slamming his opponent through walls and pillars of stone as easily as a man might break through a sandcastle, the force of the blow finishing the job started by the explosion and collapsing the ground underfoot altogether.

    You remember falling into darkness, screaming as the world vanishing from underfoot and you plummeted to certain doom alongside dozens of others.

    You remember the eyes of the Dragon upon you, Terendelev's head snaking around at the sound. You remember the words she spoke, the arcane gestures she made with one clawed hand even as she lay bloody and broken upon the ground, the strange feeling of lightness as the spell took hold.

    You remember the sight of that terrible sword falling in an arc, the way that Terendelev's head flew free from her body, the sound of the demon's triumphant roar washing over the city.

    You remember everything.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Disgusted by the lack of survivors, Thrar turns to Qiyana and asks, "I'm a what? A dwarf? Damn right I am."

    Moving over to the pinned woman, he shoves aside the offered staff. "Bah! I've no need for that! Let me show you how a dwarf handles stone!" Thrar grabs the rock on both sides and begins lifting it.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thrar can lift 460 lbs. If the rock is heavier, he can push it off instead.


    As the dwarf works, the dwarf huffs, "The dragon... That drake is the only reason we survived that fall. But why the bloody hell would she waste her magic on us mortals?

    ...A blood debt is owed. I don't care how long it takes, that demon bastard is getting his own head chopped off."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    "She didn't 'waste' it." The sixth and final survivor speaks up, having picked himself up and moved towards the sound of the voices. As he steps closer you can see that he is indeed a human - a middle aged male, to be precise, with dark hair and a neatly trimmed beard. "Terendelev has been a guardian of Kenabres for longer than any of us have been alive. I don't pretend to understand how Dragons think, but she viewed the protection of the city and all those in it as something of a sacred charge. Her magic saved some small portion of it from destruction, so in her mind it was a choice well made."

    Unlike the human woman or the elf, it seems that this man managed to survive the fall with little more than scrapes and bruises. His clothing is rich and of high quality, albeit in an understated way that speaks of old nobility. "I understand debts, Master Dwarf, but crusaders have been trying to bring down the Storm King for decades now without success. You will do no honour to her memory by haring off after a demon like that and getting yourself killed like an idiot."

    While the nobleman is talking, Thrar gets to work on shifting the rock pinning the human woman to the ground. It's a sizeable chunk of stone, but he manages to lift it away none the less, depositing it to the side a moment later. With the obstruction gone, it is easy to see the extent of the injuries sustained by the scout - her leg is indeed broken in several different places, and judging by the faint pallor in her cheeks it must be causing her a great deal of pain.

    "My thanks." She says to Thrar, inclining her head before shifting to look over at the new arrival. "Is that... Horgus Gwerm. I might have known you'd find a way to survive even something like this."

    Horgus looks down at her with a faint sneer. "Anevia. I'm surprised you were actually caught out in the open. Couldn't find some dark corner to lurk in quickly enough?"
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Thrar's tone is positively caustic as he says, "In case you two haven't bloody noticed, we are the only survivors of the demon's attack so far. We're all stuck together, like or no. And I'm certainly not going to stand here and listen to you two squabble like children."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Karsten ignores the goings-on and examines the wounded. "If no one has healing magic or potions on them, we need to get your leg in a splint", he motioned to Anevia, "and do what we can for the Elf's injuries. I can use my spare clothes as makeshift bandages, but for the burns and the blindness I have only prayers."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Some Heal checks if possible/necessary:

    (1d20+3)[14]
    (1d20+3)[22]
    (1d20+3)[13]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Karsten ignores the goings-on and examines the wounded. "If no one has healing magic or potions on them, we need to get your leg in a splint", he motioned to Anevia, "and do what we can for the Elf's injuries. I can use my spare clothes as makeshift bandages, but for the burns and the blindness I have only prayers."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Some Heal checks if possible/necessary:

    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    Searching the nearby rubble produces a few pieces of lumber that were evidently once part of some kind of building, and with a few minutes work Karsten is able to rig up a crude splint to and a simple walking stick for Anevia to use. She smiles gratefully, and with some difficulty manages to stand and hobble around a bit.

    "Well, I won't be quick, but I can move." The scout says with a small smile. "I'm an archer, if it helps, though it looks like only four of my arrows survived the fall - I must have landed on my quiver. Still, I'll do what I can to get us out of here."

    Aravashnial reclaims his staff a moment later and likewise rises back to his feet. "I have some healing potions, but not many, and it will take more than those to regenerate my eyes or heal broken bones. I think it might be better to save those to help keep our unimpaired combatants in top shape."

    Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Thrar's tone is positively caustic as he says, "In case you two haven't bloody noticed, we are the only survivors of the demon's attack so far. We're all stuck together, like or no. And I'm certainly not going to stand here and listen to you two squabble like children."
    "Do you think I'm blind, Dwarf?" Horgus says with a scowl. "I'm well aware of how dire our situation is, but I'm having some difficulty feeling at ease with three strangers, a thief and a conspiracy theorist!"

    "Please, Horgus, I already apologized for that." Aravashnial says in a placating tone, but the nobleman is having none of it.

    "Wizard, you accused me of being a demonic collaborator in front of every major figure in the city! That takes more than a bloody apology to set to rights!"

    The human man takes a few deep breathes to control himself, then turns back to everyone else. "In any case, I need to get back to the surface. I need to see what those bastards have done to my home. Get me there alive and in one piece and I'll pay. Call it... a thousand gold, and a promise of future aid in any missions you might mount to avenge this atrocity."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    "Well, I won't be quick, but I can move." The scout says with a small smile. "I'm an archer, if it helps, though it looks like only four of my arrows survived the fall - I must have landed on my quiver. Still, I'll do what I can to get us out of here."
    Qiyana turns to the woman. "Just take care you don't hurt your leg worse. As long as you can move, we can keep you safe." She looks to the dwarf and human appraisingly for a moment before nodding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    "Wizard, you accused me of being a demonic collaborator in front of every major figure in the city! That takes more than a bloody apology to set to rights!"

    The human man takes a few deep breathes to control himself, then turns back to everyone else. "In any case, I need to get back to the surface. I need to see what those bastards have done to my home. Get me there alive and in one piece and I'll pay. Call it... a thousand gold, and a promise of future aid in any missions you might mount to avenge this atrocity."
    Qiyana looks about the cavernous opening once more, before settling her gaze on the finely dressed man. "Without intending to offend, I suspect that if those major figures were at the celebration, they are unlikely to be... an influence in the future."

    She nods and steels herself before continuing. "I, for one, accept your offer. It is long past time I let others defend me, and I have recently developed some skills that may be of value. To that end," she begins to search the area, looking for an upward sloping passageway, "The night is getting no younger." She sets off towards the nearest edge of the cavern.

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[23]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    A quick search around the cavern reveals two tunnels to the east, leading off into the darkness in roughly the same direction. There are also two more things of note:

    Firstly, among the rubble and crushed bodies from the fall are a number of small, rounded objects that seem to glow with their own inner light. They are each approximately the size of a man's palm, and given the light they are producing are almost certainly magical in some fashion.

    Secondly, there is a large shape crouched on the ground halfway along the most direct route to the tunnels. Pitch black, it blends into the darkness with ease, but once you have spotted it identification becomes much easier.

    It is a spider, roughly the same size as a horse, and it's glittering eyes are fixed on your position.

    Spoiler: Perception DC 11
    Show

    The spider is completely motionless, in the way of something paralyzed or dead. However, you can also make out an odd sort of rippling motion along its flank, as though something was moving around under the skin...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    "Hmmmm...." Qiyana approaches one of the orbs muttering, and her eyes take on a silvery sheen.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's my fluff for casting detect magic, btw. It can be changed if it would cause problems.

    Assuming they don't appear dangerous, I'll recover a few of them. Should I assume that I don't have my backpack at the moment, since the night before was a celebration, wherein a vain attractive woman would not be all bundled up for travel?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Hmmmm...." Qiyana approaches one of the orbs muttering, and her eyes take on a silvery sheen.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's my fluff for casting detect magic, btw. It can be changed if it would cause problems.

    Assuming they don't appear dangerous, I'll recover a few of them. Should I assume that I don't have my backpack at the moment, since the night before was a celebration, wherein a vain attractive woman would not be all bundled up for travel?
    Closer inspection reveals that the objects are not orbs, but rather scales. Given what you remember of the attack, it seems likely these are portions of Terendelev's silver hide, torn free during her battle with the demon and scattered into the city. To Qiyana's sight, they burn with magical power, more powerful than anything she's ever seen before. Precisely what effects the magic will have is difficult to determine, but they seem safe enough, so you set about collecting them.

    The moment you touch the first scale, you are almost overwhelmed with a sudden flash on insight as the knowledge of what they are and what they can do pours into your mind. With that understanding comes a sense of deep sorrow, but also of resolute determination.

    All in all, there are four such scales here.

    Spoiler: Properties of Terendelev's scales.
    Show

    Each of the scales is equivalent to a Minor Artifact in terms of power and durability, and each bestows an ability on the one who carries it. Where relevant, these effects have a Caster Level of 19.

    Each scale bestows only one of the following powers, and carrying more than one scale renders you unable to use any of them.

    Cloudwalking - 3/day as a standard action, the bearer of this scale may cast Levitate. The levitated person or object is born into the air by a column of clouds that form underfoot, which also grants concealment and a 20% miss chance to anyone inside it.

    Disguise - 3 times a day as a standard action, the bearer of this scale may use Alter Self. While disguised they gain a +4 sacred bonus on bluff checks against evil targets.

    Resistance - Three times a day as a standard action,nthe bearer of this scale can cast Resist Energy, but only against cold or electricity.

    Sacred Weaponry - Three times a day as a standard action, the bearer of this scale can cast Align Weapon to make his weapon Lawful or Good. This can also be used to enchant an unarmed strike or natural weapon.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2015-03-15 at 11:18 AM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Karsten hands a bundle of twenty arrows to Anevia. "Cold Iron tipped. I get the feeling we'll need them," he sighed. "I'll take you up on that offer, Horgus. I wasn't planning on going anywhere other than Kenabres anyways." Now addressing the whole group, he continued, "You three clearly know each other, but I suppose we should all introduce ourselves. I am Karsten Valdor, of the Paladins of Erastil."

    Once he is alerted to the giant spider, he springs into action. He grabs his backpack with his right hand and holds it over his shoulder, and readies his bow in his left. "Get your things gathered up, and get ready to move. I'd rather avoid fighting that beast, but it might not give us the choice." Horgus seemed to be uninjured. Karsten looked him up and down quickly to see if he is armed.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I will not be able to post again until later this evening as I will be on the road all afternoon. Since we're running a fast-paced game here are some of his future actions in advance:

    - If Horgus is not armed, but able to use a weapon, Karsten will lend him his longsword.
    - Perception on the Spider: (1d20)[13] EDIT: He does not know what to make of the new information, and still treats the spider as a threat.
    - If combat starts while I'm gone, Karsten will put down his backpack and position himself between the spider and the rest of the party. He will shoot until forced into melee, in which case he will go for his longsword (or use his Spiked Gauntlet if he lent his sword to Horgus)

    Once Karsten is told about the scales and their properties, he will suggest they be divvied out thusly:

    - Cloudwalking to Qiyana. As a spellcaster and the most vulnerable PC, the scale would help her avoid getting tied up in melee or shot up at range.
    - Disguise for himself, so that he can use the Alter Self ability to gain Darkvision as he is the only party member without it.
    - Sacred Weaponry for Thrar, as he doesn't have Cold Iron weapons. One of the NPCs will have to carry the fourth scale in any case, and since Aravashnial is in the worst shape of them, he should take Resistance as he could use any defensive ability he can get.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2015-03-15 at 01:14 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Anevia nods in gratitude at the gift of the arrows, adding them to the quiver on her back. She unslings her bow, a relatively small and compact weapon, and holds it ready. It seems apparent that her injuries will give her the choice of using the bow or moving, but not both at once. Still, she seems capable enough.

    Horgus is unarmed, but takes the longsword all the same, making a few practice cuts to get a feel for it. "I would prefer a rapier, but I suppose this will have to do." He says grudgingly.

    "What beast?" Aravashnial asks in confusion, looking around as though he could still see then remembering his affliction and ceasing.

    "A spider, wizard." Anevia says shortly, having likewise spied the arachnid in the darkness. "Though... I think it might be dead, or injured. Anyway, I'm pretty sure we can move around the edge of the cavern to the tunnels without getting too near, so hopefully it'll let us go..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, first up, 75xp to everyone for making Anevia friendly by helping to shift the rock and making a splint for her leg. Aravashnial and Horgus currently have attitudes of 'Indifferent' and 'Unfriendly' respectively.

    Now, there are two tunnels to the east, assuming you go around the spider. They look basically the same, so I just need to know which one you pick - north or south.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    "Promising a dwarf gold? Oh, you'd better be ready to honor that, manling."

    After equipping his shield and pick, Thrar rolls his shoulders and says, "My people have a saying: don't leave an enemy at your back. Poison has no hold over the mountainfolk. Let's simply cave in its shell and be done with it. I'll draw the beast's attention." The duergar begins stomping off toward the spider.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    As Thrar draws closer, more details about the giant spider become obvious. It is indeed about the same size as a horse, though not nearly the same mass, and aside from a red hourglass-like symbol on its hide it is completely black.

    As the dwarf reaches perhaps ten feet away from the arachnid, the horrible squirming motions under its bristly skin seem to intensify. Then, with a wet ripping sound, the corpse all but falls apart into several mushy pieces, spilling oddly-colorful gore across the cold stone floor.

    From within the ruined flesh emerge two gigantic maggots, each roughly the size of a human child. Their palid flesh is almost translucent, revealing the dim shapes of what few internal organs they possess and in their gaping mouths you can see a mess of needle-thin teeth. Blind heads quest back and forth for a moment, then the scavengers begin advancing in their direction of fresh prey, the squirming bodies carrying them across the cave with surprising speed.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, first fight of the campaign - you lot versus two giant maggots. Charming, isn't it?

    For simplicity's sake, and because you deliberately triggered this engagement, I won't roll initiative here. You three can take your turns now, which will be resolved in the order that you post, then I'll handle the enemies and NPCs.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    The moment you touch the first scale, you are almost overwhelmed with a sudden flash on insight as the knowledge of what they are and what they can do pours into your mind. With that understanding comes a sense of deep sorrow, but also of resolute determination.
    As she touches the first scale, Qiyana falls to a knee. "Such power! Such- such pain!" She turns to the open sky, a single tear reflecting the torchlight on her cheek. "Terendelev!" the word comes out as an exclamation somewhere between awe and sorrow- "such a mighty gift! We will be worthy. We will honor your memory and your sacrifice!" she calls out into the empty sky- daring the world to prevent it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    "You three clearly know each other, but I suppose we should all introduce ourselves. I am Karsten Valdor, of the Paladins of Erastil."
    Taken aback for a moment, by the presence of the scales, Qiyana starts at Karsten's words. "Please, forgive me. In my shock, I have completely forgotten my manners. My name is Qiyana Asalea, daughter of the wardens, Geoffe and Rosalinda."

    "
    My appearance belies my age...
    " she adds, by way of explanation. With a slight curtsey, she inclines her head to Karsten and Thrar in turn. "Pleased to meet you, though I would have preferred more pleasant circumstances."

    Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    "My people have a saying: don't leave an enemy at your back. Poison has no hold over the mountainfolk. Let's simply cave in its shell and be done with it. I'll draw the beast's attention." The duergar begins stomping off toward the spider.
    "Err... Dwarf! Here!" Qiyana begins to gesture in front of herself furiously as she moves to catch up with the dwarf. Placing a hand on his shoulder, he suddenly grows tremendously in size! "I thought that might help," she says, smiling up to the dwarf's face, now a few feet above her own.

    Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    (1d20+10)[29] initiative. I'm assuming that's my first round of action (move -> spell). If it's not, I will now SHOOT A BUG! With my crossbow. No, really.
    >_>
    <_<
    ^_^

    (1d20+3)[19] attack
    (1d8)[2] damage

    (1d20+3)[18] crit confirmation (22-23, x2)
    (1d8)[1] crit bonus damage
    Not a critical threat

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Karsten shuddered in disgust at the sight of the creatures, as he dropped his backpack to nock and shoot an arrow. After loosing his first arrow, he took a quick look behind himself to ensure Anevia had a clear shot at the creatures.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attacking the same one Qiyana shot at. Taking a 5' step if needed to get out of Anevia's way.

    Attack: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    The twin projectiles slam into the first maggot, piercing its sickly pale flesh and sticking fast. The creature thrashes for a moment in pain, but then continues advancing, its circular maw gaping open.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Just a quick acknowledgement post. I have no problem with Qiyana using Enlarge Person before the combat begins, and therefore using her actual turn to shoot. Likewise, if she wants to adjust her spell-list after this combat is over I will also accept that - tweaking things during the early stages of a game is rarely disruptive to the game as a whole.

    Anyway, the first maggot is still coming, and the second is undamaged.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Recoiling in momentary disgust from the slimy vermin, Thrar is surprised by the touch of the aasimar's hand on his shoulder. "Hey, what are you-" Immediately, the familiar feeling of enlargement comes over the dwarf as he feels himself grow and become stronger. A bloodthirsty grin grows on the dwarf's face. "Thank ye kindly."

    The giant dwarf stomps forward, his pick swinging at the wounded maggot.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[6]
    Crit: (1d20+4)[11]
    Crit Damage: (3d8)[17]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada, Pacific Time
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Karsten moved closer to Thrar in case both maggots went after him, and loosed another arrow.


    Spoiler
    Show

    If the wounded maggot still hasn't gone down, Karsten will put his arrow into it.

    Attack: (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •