Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World IV

[Hueco Mundo]

As Jehoel surrounds the steaming figure, he can observe how every drop of rain makes the figure a bit more substantial and more like a flesh-and-blood man. He can also observe how the sand beneath its feet is being devoured and turned into one, long wing or tail of bluish-white light behind it.

Reforming Niklaus meets one of Jehoel's giant eyes, and then leaps, like a white bolt of lightning aiming to land on Jehoel's snout to sink his claws and teeth in him.

---

[Soul Society]
    Before Command

As Momoka approaches her goal, she is treated to an odd sight. Red-and-yellow warning tape surrounds a solitary black-clad form sitting cross-legged in the middle. As she approaches, it opens its multiple eyes and looks at her. The snakes of bone on its shoulders and hair also lift their heads in curioisity. "Hello. How was your trip?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    "Commander Ishinomori!"

Kaoru suddenly turns around to face him, and in the process drops the papers, as comedic probability would predict, scattering them across the surrounding patch of floor. He immediately crouches down to start gathering them, before anything gets stepped on. "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault, they're-" His rapid stream of apologies comes to halt when he registers Koutarou's state. "Are you okay?"

While the Soldat is rather fast, he couldn't reach the edge while the vines are still low enough to cross. Any impressive leaps he might preform would be mostly horizontal, and he didn't have the ability to walk on air like so many others. Maybe he shouldn't have wasted so much energy in his last evasion?

With moving over the thorns ruled out, the boy switches to considering ways through them. Shooting the plants was presumably ruled out by the failure of such tactics just earlier, and a lack of other weapons on his part put a swift end to that train of thought.

That meant that the dome was successful in it's presumed function of a prison.

Torahiko wanders the borders of the dome, it just felt... anticlimactic.

"If only I had more experince..." He continued, looking to the keychain he holds.
    Spoiler: Green sparks shower from his hand.
    Show
    [Hueco Mundo?]
    (Indulgence of Memory Eater)
    Monsters dominate the view, windows to the outside world open and close too quickly to see the other side, it's all moving too fast to see. No, that's not quite right, events begin to overlap and warp as conflicting scenes take up the same space, these scenes are all from different places, different times, the backdrops are just so similar that they can no longer be differentiated.

He was looking into the past. The sand here, this was it's '"memory" wasn't it? How may hollows are recorded just here alone, their stories carved into these tiny grains?

Too many to ever watch. It's not like it could help him, either. No matter what the watcher saw, there's no way he couldn't copy their techniques, he didn't have the powers they did, nor did he have the same type of body.

"If only I was as strong as one of those monsters, this wouldn't have happened" The watcher said.
    “So you finally admit it?” The commentator replied.
    "I can't bring myself to surrender that easily."
    “Oh really then, want me to make it harder for you?”
    "No."
    “Then why not just say it?”
    "...Fine, I'll admit it. I'm jealous of the others, Humans, Quincies, Spirits, Hollows, as long as it would let me reach what I'm looking for, I want power like that."

"Once, there was a small monster, who was always chasing after his shadow... An image of monstrous horns.
    He chased it through the clouds, and wrapped his claws in lightning... An image of monstrous limbs.
    He chased it through the rain, and hardened his scales against the drops... An image of monstrous eyes
    He chased it through the sun, and wrapped his fangs in flames... An image of monstrous wings.
    He chased it through the fog, and melted away his presence... An image of monstrous talons.
    He kept running until he caught his shadow, and swallowed it whole... All reaching for a distant star.
    ...'To know the world, is to want it' He said." What did they find?
    "I understand now." He keeps his guard up for whatever happens next.

"If I'd accepted it before, would I have had a better chance?" He doesn't care who hears him anymore, it's not as if anyone could understand anyway.
    Some would be confused by apparent talking alone. Those people are stupid.

Helena is quite smart. And starts venting toxic gas into the dome Torahiko was trapped into. When novice spiritual beings start talking alone, it is usually because they are communing with an inner spirit and have yet to learn to properly use an inside voice. So it is best to off them before they are done, if they are your enemies.

Well, sometimes it is best to leave, but it is not easy to tell the two situations apart.

"Perish, little soldier. It is vastly better than fighting for something you think you are irrelevant to."

She is quite smart, and has put some distance between herself and the dome already.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    [Soul Society - Commander-General's office]

Koutarou actually seems both mortified and amused by Kaoru's comment.

"You know you've hit rock bottom when you need someone else to worry about your health and productivity both." The young Commander responds.

Well, the previous Commander could afford to delegate his paperwork to me. I would then delegate further down the line if needed... but when I got to the job I almost completely forgot about it...

He does seem to appreciate the effort Kaoru is putting into things, however.

"Kaoru-kun, right? Reservoir division?"
    "It can happen to best of us, just try not to make this a regular occurrence"

Kaoru has changed from picking up papers to arranging them in several small stacks that somewhat resemble their original order. Occasionally plucking a remaining stray paper from the floor to add to a relevant pile. "And don't forget about your well-being, something happening to you is the last thing we need ." his attention is now more directed to creating order than on Koutarou.

"Yes sir?" And said attention instantly snaps back to the Captain-Commander once he'd addressed by name and division.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Some would be confused by apparent talking alone. Those people are stupid.

Helena is quite smart. And starts venting toxic gas into the dome Torahiko was trapped into. When novice spiritual beings start talking alone, it is usually because they are communing with an inner spirit and have yet to learn to properly use an inside voice. So it is best to off them before they are done, if they are your enemies.

Well, sometimes it is best to leave, but it is not easy to tell the two situations apart.

"Perish, little soldier. It is vastly better than fighting for something you think you are irrelevant to."

She is quite smart, and has put some distance between herself and the dome already.
    [Battle for Las Noches- Under the Dome]

"I never said I was irrelevant, just that I had a small role. Maybe not even as small as I imagined..." Torahiko has already wandered back to the edge of the dome.

"I probably exaggerated my weaknesses earlier, after all." There was still something he hadn't tried in his earlier escape attempts, though he hadn't realized that option existed at the time. "Oh, and, the future me may have to apologize for a few more lies, depending what happens next." He extends his arm towards the wall.

He knew what to say automatically. "All things in this world-"

Assuming that Helena can see inside the dome the same way she can hear, she'll have no trouble figuring out what he's doing. A sphere of orange light, rapidly expanding as it both fills with it's creator's spiritual energy is floating just beyond the fullbringer's hand.

"melt and flow."

In the long moment it took for the sphere to reach full size, it looked almost exactly like a cero.

"First Curse; Shining Fang!"

The gathered energy is released as a stream of orange light, wrapped in crackling green arcs, less than a meter from the dome's outer wall...
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

"It can happen to best of us, just try not to make this a regular occurrence"

Kaoru has changed from picking up papers to arranging them in several small stacks that somewhat resemble their original order. Occasionally plucking a remaining stray paper from the floor to add to a relevant pile. "And don't forget about your well-being, something happening to you is the last thing we need ." his attention is now more directed to creating order than on Koutarou.

"Yes sir?" And said attention instantly snaps back to the Captain-Commander once he'd addressed by name and division.
    Koutarou was momentarily intrigued by this particular Shinigami. Although rarely fully credited or evaluated, he did have a particular leadership skill that he employed without realizing.

In so many words, it was a mix of evaluation and empathy. Koutarou could generally read through one's aptitude for a particular skill and their general character by observing them at work, and only at work. He was a bit clueless when it came to dealing with people lying in a political environment, but he was always spot-on on his assessment when it came to how people did their jobs. He would often base his evidence for such observations on other things he picked up, but he never realized that the true reason behind the accuracy of his observations lied in a sense that was much more instinctual, almost primal, which he had refined and specialized.

"Oh, you'll be done much faster if you organize these files by date. The reports for each interdependent Division come out in order anyway, so Recon doesn't get anything done before MedLog does, and so on an forth. Combat is typically dead last because their reports are made up of combat-ready tallies and number of maneuvers and exercises executed. Any other operations get filed away earlier on a contingency basis, so they aren't bundled with other Division reports..."

Most people would find the general tone of one in a higher station giving advice on their work to be "meddling", or arrogance. Yet Koutarou's attitude would never let through anything but helpfulness. This wasn't a higher-up telling someone how to do their job. This was someone showing interest in how one does their work.

"How long have you been a Shinigami, Kaoru-kun?"
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2015-09-18 at 10:51 PM.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Koutarou was momentarily intrigued by this particular Shinigami. Although rarely fully credited or evaluated, he did have a particular leadership skill that he employed without realizing.

In so many words, it was a mix of evaluation and empathy. Koutarou could generally read through one's aptitude for a particular skill and their general character by observing them at work, and only at work. He was a bit clueless when it came to dealing with people lying in a political environment, but he was always spot-on on his assessment when it came to how people did their jobs. He would often base his evidence for such observations on other things he picked up, but he never realized that the true reason behind the accuracy of his observations lied in a sense that was much more instinctual, almost primal, which he had refined and specialized.

"Oh, you'll be done much faster if you organize these files by date. The reports for each interdependent Division come out in order anyway, so Recon doesn't get anything done before MedLog does, and so on an forth. Combat is typically dead last because their reports are made up of combat-ready tallies and number of maneuvers and exercises executed. Any other operations get filed away earlier on a contingency basis, so they aren't bundled with other Division reports..."

Most people would find the general tone of one in a higher station giving advice on their work to be "meddling", or arrogance. Yet Koutarou's attitude would never let through anything but helpfulness. This wasn't a higher-up telling someone how to do their job. This was someone showing interest in how one does their work.

"How long have you been a Shinigami, Kaoru-kun?"
    Kaoru silently adjusted his sorting system to incorporate Koutarou's advice, while still managing to pick up his pace once more. At this rate, he's likely to finish in only a few minutes.
    "Only a short time, I graduated from the academy something like twenty-ish years ago? I've been training for a lot longer than that though."

His tone suddenly becomes much more formal. "Is there a problem with my work, Commander Ishinomori?"

Show
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

"Not as such, no - more like a problem with your work assignment. The Reservoir Division is meant to breed a generalist kind of Shinigami. Yet somehow I get the feeling that's not doing you justice, somehow." Even though it was essentially an herculean task, Koutarou was the kind of man whom made it a point to know the finer points of detail from the files of every subordinate he could. Each one had sticking points - thankfully, psychological evaluations at the Gotei were rather thorough.

"According to your file, you come from a noble family, and there's mention of a training that your family had you undergo prior to joining the academy." It was unnecessary to question the correctness of that statement, from his tone. "Let me ask you. Of the functions you were asked to perform so far, which would you say you enjoyed the most, and which would you say you performed best at?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Hueco Mundo]

As Niklaus charges at Jehoel, the serpentine Arrancar twists in an impossibly swift motion, darting out of the way of Niklaus's path. Jehoel goes low to the ground, slithering forward and under the air where Niklaus leaps. Rapidly shifting his entire body back into a coiled position, Jehoel rears back up into the air and extends all three of his fins, an animalistic display of brute force and intimidation. The leviathan roars, shaking the ground with his voice.

This new form is an unknown. So be it.

Blue light is drawn into Jehoel's jaw for a moment before a dark cero blazes forth from Jehoel's mouth. The blast is immense in scope, devastating the landscape around Niklaus, but the cero is diffuse, its power unconcentrated.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Soul Society]
    Before Command

As Momoka approaches her goal, she is treated to an odd sight. Red-and-yellow warning tape surrounds a solitary black-clad form sitting cross-legged in the middle. As she approaches, it opens its multiple eyes and looks at her. The snakes of bone on its shoulders and hair also lift their heads in curioisity. "Hello. How was your trip?"
    Momoka stops. Well. Her curiosity is piqued.

"...I was not aware I possessed such a unique fan. My trip was well, it did not entail violence."
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society - before Gotei Command HQ]

Multitude of eyes watch Momoka unblinkingly. "I did find my way here following your trail, and for that, I thank you. But I did not come here for you. However...", the creature lifts a hand and beckons at the walls of Seireitei, "... there is a question I was told you could answer more comprehensively than your superior. Those walls, have they always been there?"

---

[Hueco Mundo - in the desert]

When Niklaus finds his fists meeting nothing but air, he creates a number of new platforms and leaps up. The rain doesn't seem to hinder him anymore, rather, the raindrops seem to simply vanish where the man moves, as if they're simply wolfed up by his body. When Jehoel roars, Niklaus looks down and lets out a roar himself. His canines have turned into fangs and his face distorts like the muzzle of an angry wolf.

Then the Cero fires. Jehoel can track the man's direction from the silvery line left behind by his tail. From the first moment, it's apparent the attack did at least scratch him - if you can call having one's whole arm blown off a scratch. But as Niklaus zig-zags in the air like a silvery bolt of lightning, new bones, new tendons and new flesh grow from his shoulder. The new arm is longer, hairer, more muscular, and the hand is more like the paw of some beast. Niklaus heads for Jehoel's frill, aiming to tear it off in bestial fury.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2015-10-09 at 07:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Outside Command)

Momoka's smile shifts into more of a fox-like smirk. "...well, is that not a rhetorical question? You ask as if you expect they have always been there. But there are no walls that have been for all of creation. Even in the metaphorical sense, mountains and cliffs took their time, being formed by geological shifts. And if you must go yet further, then perhaps the walls between this world and the material have always been around, and the walls between ours and the King's no less than that." How infuriating.

"But truly, the 'walls' you likely speak of have been around for a bit less than 1500 years, after the foundation of the Seireitei and 13 court guard."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

The creature thinks on the answer for a moment, then frowns. Something doesn't add up in its mind. "Let's rephrase the question: have they been where they are now, continuously, for 1500 years?"

12. - Top - End - #222

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

Niklaus succeeds, ripping away a large portion of the sail-like frill over Jehoel's head. The massive hollow roars in displeasure, darting back down onto the ground and once again surging away before coiling back up and rearing above Niklaus once more. Growling, Jehoel extends the ruined fragments of his frill before regeneration replaces it, the damage gone completely within seconds.

This time, however, Jehoel seizes the offensive, charging towards Niklaus like a bullet train. Jehoel makes no effort to bring his fangs to bear against the lupine Quincy, instead simply attempting to ram into Niklaus with pure brute force.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Niklaus makes no move to dodge the on-coming attack. On the contrary, he waits for the last possible moment and then springs forward, meeting the attack head on, punching with both hands against Jehoel's snout. His arms are aflame with power, all his effort focused on his Blut Arterie. The impact will surely turn his arms into mush, the real question is what will this man-sized silver bullet do to Jehoel?

14. - Top - End - #224

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

The force of the impact generates a powerful shockwave, launching sand and rain in all directions as the two combatants crash into each other. While Niklaus is obviously sent flying, Jehoel too reels back with a pained roar. When Niklaus can next focus on the massive Hollow, Jehoel is shaking his head and snorting in an attempt to clear out what looks to be a tremendous nosebleed.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Not as such, no - more like a problem with your work assignment. The Reservoir Division is meant to breed a generalist kind of Shinigami. Yet somehow I get the feeling that's not doing you justice, somehow." Even though it was essentially an herculean task, Koutarou was the kind of man whom made it a point to know the finer points of detail from the files of every subordinate he could. Each one had sticking points - thankfully, psychological evaluations at the Gotei were rather thorough.

"According to your file, you come from a noble family, and there's mention of a training that your family had you undergo prior to joining the academy." It was unnecessary to question the correctness of that statement, from his tone. "Let me ask you. Of the functions you were asked to perform so far, which would you say you enjoyed the most, and which would you say you performed best at?"
    Kaoru retains his new, more formal tone as he answers."In my current experience as a shinigami, my best work was with medlog, tending to the wounded, and my most enjoyable work was either that, or aiding Engineering division with repairs."
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2015-10-15 at 04:18 PM.

Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

Niklaus flies through the air for nearly a thousand meters, blood and pieces of flesh and bone from his shattered arms falling down with the rain. He makes a nice, small crater when he lands, digging a groove into the wet sand before coming to full stop. For a brief moment, he just lies on his back, bleeding heavily from the stumps of his arms, with a wide grin on his face, completely still, not even breathing. Then, Hueco Mundo's moon peeks through the clouds, and he wrenches himself to a sitting position. Noticing the Leviathan's gargantuan form twisting and turning in the distance, he darts up, white steam whirling around his broken and dislocated shoulders as they snap and pop and start growing a new set of arms.

He tries breaking into a run, but stumbles, his hands - or rather, front paws - touching the ground. He doesn't let it slow him down, instead continuing to pick up pace on all fours, like an animal, his injured frame creaking and twisting. It looks like somewhere along the line, his regeneration forgot it is supposed to build a human. Instead, the form of a man first becomes that of a giant wolf, then just a blur of white flame as Niklaus makes a mad dash for his opponent, desperate to reach his opponent before he can recover his senses. The ground and rain simply vanish around and before him, like into a bottomless maw. Then, what was Niklaus leaps at the Leviathan's throat, trying to sink its white-hot, knife-like fangs into the Hollow's tainted flesh.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

The creature thinks on the answer for a moment, then frowns. Something doesn't add up in its mind. "Let's rephrase the question: have they been where they are now, continuously, for 1500 years?"
    "The issue has rarely been defending the interior of the Seireitei. The enemies of the past have struck at our weak points; the Rukon, and the Mortal World, forcing us to overextend." Momoka seems to love indirectly answering this person's questions.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #228

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

Jehoel, despite his apparent distraction, snaps his attention to Niklaus as soon as the transformed Quincy gets close. Roaring again, Jehoel coils up like a spring before charging to meet Niklaus head on. Just as Niklaus seeks to grab Jehoel's throat, Jehoel loops over and attempts to seize Niklaus by the back of the neck with his own jaws.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Before Command HQ

The creature's numerous eyes narrow. "Then what were those walls meant to defend?"

---

[Hueco Mundo]
    Desert

Due to Jehoel twisting out of the way, rather than his throat, the wolf's maw snaps shut against his armored hide. As for Jehoel's own bite, the wolf may be bigger than the man it used to be, but Jehoel's mouth is still big enough for biting just its neck - it would be more viable to swallow it whole. But even with the titanic jaws closing around it, the wolf keeps biting and clawing the bulk of its foe, trying hard to tear away the flesh or at least get a lasting grip.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]

"The Central 46? The Shinigami? Perhaps the Okken itself, the path to the Spirit King, as an extra layer of defense." Momoka shrugs. "It is a question with many possible answers."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

The creature tilts its head "How would walls like those help to protect path to your King?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

"Strictly speaking, it would not. Only those the King provides a key can enter his realm. But I find people with power ever entertain hypotheticals about losing that power."

"Of course, whether we can consider the Spirit King a person is another thing entirely." Momoka offers a playful shrug.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

"That's... hrmnn..." The creature stands up and dusts off itself. "The only way those walls could not defend your King, is if your King does not live within them. Which raises the question: where does he live?" The creature spins a full circle, arms spread wide. "You speak of a key, but given your whole country has been moved from its foundations, would one be of use to you even if you had it? Where's the keyhole? Has anyone of you actually bothered to check if there is any connection left between you and your royalty?"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Kaoru retains his new, more formal tone as he answers."In my current experience as a shinigami, my best work was with medlog, tending to the wounded, and my most enjoyable work was either that, or aiding Engineering division with repairs."
    Koutarou was notably puzzled by the shift in tone. And his expression betrayed as much. But he wasn't sure whether or not to correct Kaoru on it.

"That tells me you have a certain interest in building things for the benefit of others, as opposed to your own benefit. Would you say that's an accurate assessment?

Are you still with Medlog right now?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

[Hueco Mundo]
    Desert

Due to Jehoel twisting out of the way, rather than his throat, the wolf's maw snaps shut against his armored hide. As for Jehoel's own bite, the wolf may be bigger than the man it used to be, but Jehoel's mouth is still big enough for biting just its neck - it would be more viable to swallow it whole. But even with the titanic jaws closing around it, the wolf keeps biting and clawing the bulk of its foe, trying hard to tear away the flesh or at least get a lasting grip.
    [Hueco Mundo]
    Desert

Despite his massive size advantage, Jehoel is cautious about swallowing Niklaus. While he would test the storms in his belly against any defense, Niklaus's demonstrated ability to absorb Reishi is concerning, and a miscalculation would be devastating. As long as it's unnecessary, there is not reason to take that risk.

Jehoel shakes Nicklaus once in his mouth, a quick movement designed to shatter his enemy's spine, then hurls the wolf back onto the sands.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback; A while ago in Ikari
    After he got back from his (luckily) failed mission to assassinate Akiyama Hoshi's family, Niklaus was informed that the next task for him and his troops would be to subvert the Belenus family. Sitting in his new office in the basement of some office building, he sipped whiskey while browsing through the reports on Belenus family members.

One image made him stop. It was a picture of young Caeyrn Flaviu Citlali Belenus, surrounded by his extended family, from a graduation ceremony of some sort. Caeyrn's father... something in him, seemed very familiar.

Niklaus had not kept any artifacts of his life prior to vanishing into the jungle. However, the good side of having once been something of a national hero is that you can count on someone else preserving your memorabilia. Niklaus remembered the soldier in the cave: <"Everyone's heard of what you and the berets did in Tịnh Biên . . .You guys got a whole book written about you. Heck, a few years back, they even put it on film!">

So, Niklaus asked one of his underlings to use one of those newfangled internet search engines to look up everything about the flim, then the book. Watching over the underling's shoulder, with the light of the computer screen shining on their faces, it was surreal for Niklaus to look at pictures of his young self, read things he'd done under his old name... when, exactly, did the clean-shaven pretty-boy in the photos turn into the grizzled man now looking at them? Niklaus isn't sure if the underling using the keyboard realized what they were looking at. Maybe he did, maybe he did not, he didn't ask.

Then, he finally found what he'd been looking for: a picture of his young mother, standing next to man. Father. The father Niklaus never had the luxury to know.

Back to Caeyrn Belenus. The underling typed in Caeyrn's name, then Caeyrn's dad's name, then Caeyrn's grandfather's name. There it was, the source of the eerie familiarity. The heads of the Belenus clan, a line of famous French actors, all so handsome... and all so similar. Many, many pictures of them standing happily with their families, with their sons.

Niklaus dug from his pocket, the photo from Caeyrn's graduation he'd ripped from the report, overwhelmed with a feeling he knew was irrational but which he couldn't ignore. If things had gone a bit differently... if his father had married his mother instead of that harlot in Paris... Caeyrn could be his son. Or, well, grandson.

<"Oh hey, that's an interesting coincidence. Wouldn't have thought the Belenus mainline had a bastard son somewhere in Scandinavia. Not sure if it matters, the guy's dead. Lost in a helicopter crash in Vietnam. How'd you come to think of this, Sir...?

Niklaus patted the technician's shoulder. <"Just a stray thought of mine, Corporal. I'll take care of Caeyrn Belenus personally, tomorrow. You're free for the evening. But, before I go, could you do me a favor? Just a little thing, informally, off the books. ">

<"I suppose I can do that, Sir. What is it?">

<"Find me a companion for the night.">

<"Ummm... a companion?">

<"You know... an escort, a call girl, a whore. A man has needs, but I'm too tired to go clubbing tonight. Can you do it?">

<"Erm.... sure.">

<"Good boy.">
    ---

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

The wolf clings to Jehoel's side for dear life. It's body is strangely malleable, stretching and rebuilding itself in bizarre ways as Jehoel tries to shake it apart. But then, the beast's hold fails, its glowing teeth snapping as Jehoel tears it off from his side. It's once more sent flying, tumbling through the air while letting out a pained yelp. Its arc ends on top of another dune, splashing the wet sand around. The wolf gets back on its feet, but then, its long glowing tail disappears, and its hindlegs fail. It begins shrinking and lies down, panting heavily.

In but a moment, the giant beast is gone. What's left is an ordinary, old wolf, its shaggy greying brown fur soaked by the rain and clinging to its body, steam rising from its mouth with each labored breath.

---

[Hueco Mundo]
    The battlefield around Las Noches

Quincies have been fighting valiantly on the opposite side of the battlefield to Caeyrn and Quidel, with Gabrielle Merkel, Die Kreuzrittern, having taken a stand against Turiel Vulkensen, the Behemoth, the city's Segunda Espada.

Now, however, the lines of the Quincies are broken by a blinding, golden light. The ground churns and the Quincies are forced to take cover behind nearby dunes.

When they re-emerge, Turiel Vulkensen's golden form, stands tall in the air, holding Gabriella Merkel's broken body by her throat. Then, he casts it down like a broken toy. The Quincies are halted on their tracks by the sight of what's happened to their champion. The Hollows, in turn, charge at them with renewed vigor, forcing them to retreat and chasing them away.

Turiel Vulkensen observes this from the heights, nods approvingly, and descents to the ground... and stumbles. His gemstone eyes look down, puzzled. Rozenkreutz, the blade of his opponent, sticks from his stomach for a split second, before fading as last remnant of life escapes from Gabrielle.

Turiel falls on one knee. How? How did this happen? Surely, he'd broken every last bone in her body before throwing her down.

The answer is Ransōtengai. Using threads of Reishi to move her arm, dying Gabrielle made her last attempt to be the hero of her childhood dreams by throwing her sword.

It was made to pierce dragonscales, after all. And is that not what Turiel always took pride in being - a dragon?

Turiel is also a blacksmith, a being of metal and fire. Heat should be of no consequence to him. But now, he burns, from the inside out. The narrow wound in his gut, which was but a pin-prick at first, turns into a gaping hole, and Turiel collapses, bleeding molten metal on the sands.

But a war does not hinge on one man. Truth of the matter is that the Quincies have lost. Only Caeyrn's troops, originally intended as back-up, have any fight left in them. No matter how many Hollows they might still slay, the goal of taking the city is now impossible.

And so, the Quincies begin surrendering to their foes.

27. - Top - End - #237

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

Jehoel, illuminated by the semi-constant flash of lightning, looms over Niklaus' weakened, beaten form. Instead of delivering the finishing strike, however, the Hollow instead shrinks, his entire body turning to water before compressing into his sealed form. The rain continues for a few moments before slowly coming to an end, the clouds lightening until they are merely overcast. Jehoel vanishes, reappearing in front of Niklaus. The Hollow stares at the wolf for a few moments more before kneeling down. He digs one hand into his belt. He withdraws a large, white pill.

"Choose. Life." He hefts the pill for a second. "Or death."

Jehoel drops the pill into the wolf's jaws. Niklaus can swallow, or spit it out.

Spoiler
    Show

Or take a third option, of course.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

The drenched wolf's head nudges slightly as Jehoel kneels above it, its eyes looking up from the ground at the pill. When Jehoel drops it in its mouth, it just lingers on its tongue, before rolling off to the ground when the wolf turns its head. It's too weak to swallow anything by itself, someone would have to force the pill down its throat for it to eat it. It is, in fact, dubious if it understands the question Jehoel posed to it.

29. - Top - End - #239

[Hueco Mundo]
    The Desert

Jehoel tilts his head to one side, as he begins to fully understand the situation. For a split instant, his face breaks out into a wide grin.

"Interesting."

From underneath the pill, water flows from the drenched sands. The pill dissolves into the water, which is then shot down the wolf's throat.

Spoiler
    Show

The pill is essentially concentrated Quincy Reiryoku, designed to simulate the effects of Shinigami healing Kidō. How/if it affects Niklaus depends on exactly what happened to him.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

At first, the wolf tries to move its head away from the gush of water, but cannot. Then, its front paws start scratching the ground as it tries to get up. After a few seconds, it manages to get on its feet, gurgling and gagging. Fur on its neck stands to an end, its muzzle wrinkles, it sneezes loudly and then pukes up a small amount of water mixed with bile. Licking its lips, it looks at its vomit, then at Jehoel.