New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: No Problem!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default No Problem!

What sort of skills/feats/abilities/classes lend themselves most to a character that's able to get themselves out of pretty much every imagineable situation? My problem that I seem to run into is that no class has enough skill points to invest in all the skills needed to do something like this. I've looked into Artificers, Rogues, Bards, among others, and I haven't really seen a true jack-of-all trades that is viable on his own (I don't want to play a support character).

Any suggestions?
    If a cute girl with a red sash and overalls on slips you a note, ignore it, forget it, and sic the police on her.

You receive ten fail points. You may spend them as you see fit.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: No Problem!

Factotum from the Dungeonscape supplement?

They are teh awesome!

(Feel free to tell me why they suck, I will remain unconvinced!)

Join us at Terres: Shadow of the Dark Gods, a free online Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition campaign.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

In two words, "changeling rogue." Changeling rogues using the racial substitution levels are impressively close to JOAT. (As long as you're not dealing with too many traps, that is.)
    I don't have a good sig, does this mean I've lost scene credibility?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you play a bard using the PHB2 variant, you can have the Jack of All Trades class feature instead of Bardic Knowledge, which may be a fair deal for some players.

Also, I don't know what you're looking for precisely, but a multiclass Ranger/Bard has access to every skill in the game.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Enzario View Post
    What sort of skills/feats/abilities/classes lend themselves most to a character that's able to get themselves out of pretty much every imagineable situation? My problem that I seem to run into is that no class has enough skill points to invest in all the skills needed to do something like this. I've looked into Artificers, Rogues, Bards, among others, and I haven't really seen a true jack-of-all trades that is viable on his own (I don't want to play a support character).

Any suggestions?
    Theoretically, there shouldn't be any one class that can do everything, it would be either completely broken or completely broken or totally useless. Bard is about as good as it gets, in my experience. Some damaging spells, some healing, buffs, skills, and some combat.
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."

6. - Top - End - #6

Changeling factotum/chameleon/warlock is something you might think about. I'm away from books so I can't really crunch it right now, but you'd get a lot of flexibility there.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."