Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Schlock Mercenary V: You're Missing Something Wonderful

Previously on Schlock Mercenary...

The Toughs help prevent a civil war! They (and a good chunk of a city) are attacked by a solar powered death laser! Friends are ascending to places of high power! An uplifted polar bear is an incredible badass! Humanity's allies are starting to look a tad shady!

For those not in the know, Schlock Mercenary is a science fiction comic based around a group of mercenaries that continuously get themselves into and out of, and then promptly back into, bad situations. They have engaged in missions ranging from fighting dark matter beasts from the next galaxy over, being mall cops and circus performers, dealing with dirty goverment conspiracies, accidentally creating very powerful AIs more than once, and taking down reality TV! An engaging storyline, a great dose of humor, and enough quotable bits to sink a ship, everything's there for you! Come read!
    Let's Play Super Mario RPG
    Random Twitch Stream

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary V: You're Missing Something Wonderful

I think we all saw that coming, Emm. Never trust your life to a guy like that after throwing him under a bus.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Considering the nannies REDHack is based on, I have a vague suspicion that we haven't seen the last of Emm. Of course, I suspect Kowalski would know better than most the capabilities of their nanogoodies, and would thus be able to confidently consider her gone.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

So this is the wet team kowalski had waiting in the wings? Also, apparently the destination to which Kowalski and Emm were downloading their minds and selves.

And what sort of name for a burrough is "Gherkinopolis-on-thames"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I the only person hoping that Emm redhacked Max Haluska, and Kowalski killed two of the biggest monsters in Schlockdom with one shot?
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

And so Emm reaches the end of her road, eh?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    So this is the wet team kowalski had waiting in the wings? Also, apparently the destination to which Kowalski and Emm were downloading their minds and selves.
    I got the impression that Kowalski ended up somewhere that was -not- the capitol or near it. If so, this simply can't be the wetwork team because they were fairly local to the capitol.

Their cover is also almost entirely blown, in all likely hood, due to them being already jacked up for the previous arc(even if they didn't show up to the foxtrot).

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Am I the only person hoping that Emm redhacked Max Haluska, and Kowalski killed two of the biggest monsters in Schlockdom with one shot?
    Skin is wrong, hair is wrong, height ~seems~ wrong, and these are all things Howard has been very consistent about outside Kathryn and Elf, and even then, it usually required a plot point to change something. Hell, people very very rarely change clothes without the plot being involved.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And what sort of name for a burrough is "Gherkinopolis-on-thames"?
    The Gherkin is the nickname for the tower block at 30 St Mary Axe in London--if you see pictures of it, you'll see how it got that name. It looks like the architects of this particular London borough in the future decided to use that architectural style for all the buildings, and it probably started getting called Gherkinopolis as a nickname, same as the original tower.

Anyway, nice to see Kowalski is starting his new life as he means to go on--he could, after all, have sabotaged the selfstream process so that Emm went nowhere, but he preferred the *personal* touch of completing the transfer and then shooting her in the head. Can't help but feel he'll be popping up again at some point, probably working for some other mercenary company.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, this was a kind of BOGOF deal for murder, no wonder Kowalski liked it--he gets to kill the young man whose body he downloaded Emm into, and then kill Emm herself!
    Last edited by factotum; 2015-03-22 at 05:04 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It also means leaving a dead body in his wake, which is rather amazingly poor tradecraft forensic housekeeping when he could just have set Emm's transfer to /dev/nul. I almost got the impression that the shot was a spur-of-the-moment whim. But no matter.

The Gherkin. And the text implies that "London" is actually now a borough - a division of a city called Gherkinopolis-on-Thames, presumably implying ribbon development up to Oxford and down to the sea.
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2015-03-22 at 06:09 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Spinner View Post
    It also means leaving a dead body in his wake, which is rather amazingly poor tradecraft forensic housekeeping when he could just have set Emm's transfer to /dev/nul. I almost got the impression that the shot was a spur-of-the-moment whim. But no matter.
    Right, because people are totally going to care about one random homicide in the face of 20,000 police officers going on a sudden murder rampage before being killed.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's more an implication that "London" isn't a city anymore but the author is using it as a way for the reader to place it globally
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Right, because people are totally going to care about one random homicide in the face of 20,000 police officers going on a sudden murder rampage before being killed.
    That didn't happen in the same place. (Dom Atlantis vs. Gherkinopolis.) And it only takes one local police detective who's feeling dutiful and working on the principle that every damn murder merits some kind of serious treatment, and Kowalski could start needing to run faster and cover his tracks harder.

I'm sure he can handle that. But it still looks sloppy to me.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, that was a surprise. Going to see how this all plays out. I wonder if it might be connected to a certain "milk run".
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure he can handle that. But it still looks sloppy to me.
    It might have been sloppy, but it might have been gratifying as well.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that maybe the software developers created some sort of protection to ensure that people don't randomly self-stream themselves into oblivion, and Kowalski had no choice but to play it this way.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Option A)Kill Emm onboard the batt leplate, likely have it be known that his Kowalski-self is responsible for that, and burn that bridge entirely.

Option B)Sabotage Emm's stream, which may or may not be doable, and may or may not be traceable. Most likely not any better or any more satisfying than option A.

Option C)Kill Emm's new host, eliminating all evidence of where Emm went except the body(which nobody would really know is her), which Kowalski should be able to clean up reasonably well. Personally, I like C best.

Also, he might not've decided to kill her until after they left, idk.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Considering how Kowalski's last superior went out, it's really not particularly surprising that Emm ended similarly, it's just this time he had the option of being a bit more direct about it.

As for why not sabotage the 'jack, it's likely that there are enough safeguards and such in place to prevent squirting and other mishaps that it would be obvious he's up to something, even if Emm isn't particularly knowledgeable about the process.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It's always important to be nice to your employees, especially if they are professional killers who like their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Oh good he' still a monster but now he's his own monster, with no supervision. I'm sure that'll end great.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

He'll only be killing where it's to his direct personal advantage now (and he's even admitted to a stunted vestigial conscience). Given the industrial-scale work that Emm was assigning him, that's actually likely to be a large net improvement in raw numbers terms.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that Kowalski hasn't been very happy lately. He says that he never gets tired of being called a monster, but I think his face was saying that yeah, he is tired.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, so this *is* the milk run that was mentioned before. Guessing these streams are a lot easier to trace than Kowalski thought they might be. (Oh, and this also answers the stuff about leaving a body behind--he's incinerating it).

Also, love Landon's armour--guess he didn't want to end up in a situation where he gets sixty-one penetrating wounds this time around!
    Last edited by factotum; 2015-03-23 at 03:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The trace probably ought to be hard, but with the likes of Ennesby taking an interest, Kowalski was wrong to assume it'd be hard enough. And even with 2015 forensics, merely incinerating the body wouldn't be a fully adequate clean-up after a gunshot to the head. But it'd help delay discovery, possibly indefinitely, and there may be nanotech for the blood spatters.

And I wouldn't call arresting Kowalski and/or Emm a "milk run", even for this team but like the admiral said, sometimes, the milk has gone really bad.

Landon's armour is cool, anyway. I found myself thinking His Dark Materials...
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2015-03-23 at 04:11 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Also, love Landon's armour--guess he didn't want to end up in a situation where he gets sixty-one penetrating wounds this time around!
    Cue Kowalski delivering sixty-two penetrating wounds to Landon.
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

The trace probably ought to be hard, but with the likes of Ennesby taking an interest, Kowalski was wrong to assume it'd be hard enough.
    I'd lay even odds on the ship AI reporting the selfstream. The feeds in her office may have been cut, but the transmission nodes aren't part of her office.

Also, I love that Landon is running around in Toughs style body armor with the potato option bits.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Cue Kowalski delivering sixty-two penetrating wounds to Landon.
    whats interesting is the design of armor. That looks like the gear Tailor makes, minus Pauldrones which for Landon are clearly unnecessary due to the Assault Potatos orbiting him.

So apparently Landon is now the Tough's Cavalry division?
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    whats interesting is the design of armor. That looks like the gear Tailor makes, minus Pauldrones which for Landon are clearly unnecessary due to the Assault Potatos orbiting him.

So apparently Landon is now the Tough's Cavalry division?
    Or maybe Tailor based their designs on existing armor and Landon happens to use that type?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Or maybe Tailor based their designs on existing armor and Landon happens to use that type?
    I figured the armor was the product of the MakoTater. He was complaining about how it was using the cannibalized remains of other taters, this could be one of its projects.

Where is Tailor at the moment, anyway?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I would suppose that Tailor is with the main group of the Toughs. Which brings up the question of what THEY have been up to all this time?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I guess that Breya sent this team out on this milk run because they're some of the few people who she (of necessity) trusts with some of the dirty secrets that may get mentioned in the course of ensuing events. Still, it means that she is, so far as one assumes she knows, sending then up against an experienced intelligence officer and a scary-dangerous black ops specialist.

Landon and Schlock are good choices for the job anyway, and Murtaugh has the skills, notwithstanding that she's supposed to be a bit high up the command structure for small-unit field combat ops these days. But what the heck is Breya doing sending Sorlie with them? That's a brilliant technical specialist and a promising natural intelligence analyst, but someone whose combat experience consists of (a) letting someone else fly her suit while she runs away, and (b) pointing out that the person she's talking to has a very big gun and then running away again. One would think that she was all but a liability in a gunfight.
    Spinnin' that Disc...