New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Psitech and Incartech(For some fun)

Just something for a little fun.
    So we all know the typical magitech stuff, how it's magically enchanted items or elementals bound to an object to do work or something of that sort. What about Psitech and Incartech?

Yes I know from a mechanical point of view it's all magitech, but I'm talking flavour. What are more likely Psitech devices? What would they look like? How would they be made? What about Incartech devices?

This isn't some pressing worldbuilding question, just looking for input for flavour for these different kinds of magitech.(Psitech being Psionic and Incartech being Incarnum, in case that isn't clear)
    Last edited by AtlasSniperman; 2015-09-21 at 06:29 AM.
    Your friendly neighbourhood sniperman.
    My controversial opinions:
    • I like blue souls.
    • Alignment isn't terrible.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Psitech and Incartech(For some fun)

If we're talking 3.PF here, there's some examples already that can help extrapolate it all. It's Akashic, in Pathfinder, for the incarnum stuff (and actually readable)

First, Psitech. We've a few examples already, for the most part you're looking at constructs and foci.
    -Deep Crystal materials let you charge things up. Currently they're a weapon material but they're as good as steel atop the PP-damage-boost effect.
    -Crystalline Focus Items allow one to manifest the various 'constructed' psi-effects in an amplified fashion here too. You form a soulblade through a specialized hilt, and the resulting totally-not-lightsaber is given more power and additional effects. Same with crystal spaulders for generating armor or Aegis suits, and so on.
    -Aegis is a class that outright materializes a highly variable armor, which can come complete with integrated weapons or merge with existing ones to power them up (Augmented and/or Deep Crystal customizations).

Then of course there's the astral constructs, astral repair, psi-shot... As you can see, there's a strong theme of a character running his power through items to boost them, vice-versa, or both. Chances are psi-tech would be non-magical versions of the same. Things that come to mind

>Deep Crystal Vehicles: an expensive way to jack the size and scale of your various psionic characters several fold. Due to efficiency and a high chance of costs being /hour in normal operation and /round if using combat systems (inertial barrier generators, speed boosts, turning in unnatural ways with sheer willpower) you'd probably see big helms running multiple large ship systems run by a psion or wilder or the like: PPs/turn is probably not worth it in a dinghy but amazing for a spelljamming galleon. Conversely, you probably can't power a frigate adequately with aegis-suit customization allocation or a pair of soul-daggers, but can probably boost some little personal fighter or wiesel-buggy all day long that way.

>Psi generators for non-magical. Antimagic screwing with you? You might not be able to fire your soul-bolts into that sphere, but what if you just used that endless power to fuel a laser, at least the beam - even if it loses its magic enhancements as soon as it crosses into the antimagic field- will continue and sear that oracle's smirk right off. Apply Psi, Impose Bacon. Plus you finally have a way of using a laser that doesn't involve several hundred gold a fight for a flimsy little fire weapon that already cost you more than a +2 magic weapon unenchanted.

Akashics are in a similar boat: They primarily function by allocating essence (their energy) in a semi-dynamic fashion across the various 'magic items' their veils more or less coalesce into (not that they take up your actual item slots in PF). Perhaps you would invest a certain amount of essence into a chosen vehicle, weapon
    >In fact there's already a 5k essence-forged weapon system in Steelforged which is actually very worth it, in particular for the axiomite daevic or akashic fighter archetype, who both would be investing essence into their weapon to begin with. You're using a valuable class resource to get your weapon, but it could just be worth it!

All this said, there was supposedly a Psi-Tech book in the works, with some kind of construct pilot class rumored. It was supposed to be out a good month or so ago though, so it may just have been wishful thinking.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Psitech and Incartech(For some fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiton2 View Post
    Spoiler: spoiler'd but not snip'd
    Show
    If we're talking 3.PF here, there's some examples already that can help extrapolate it all. It's Akashic, in Pathfinder, for the incarnum stuff (and actually readable)

First, Psitech. We've a few examples already, for the most part you're looking at constructs and foci.
    -Deep Crystal materials let you charge things up. Currently they're a weapon material but they're as good as steel atop the PP-damage-boost effect.
    -Crystalline Focus Items allow one to manifest the various 'constructed' psi-effects in an amplified fashion here too. You form a soulblade through a specialized hilt, and the resulting totally-not-lightsaber is given more power and additional effects. Same with crystal spaulders for generating armor or Aegis suits, and so on.
    -Aegis is a class that outright materializes a highly variable armor, which can come complete with integrated weapons or merge with existing ones to power them up (Augmented and/or Deep Crystal customizations).

Then of course there's the astral constructs, astral repair, psi-shot... As you can see, there's a strong theme of a character running his power through items to boost them, vice-versa, or both. Chances are psi-tech would be non-magical versions of the same. Things that come to mind

>Deep Crystal Vehicles: an expensive way to jack the size and scale of your various psionic characters several fold. Due to efficiency and a high chance of costs being /hour in normal operation and /round if using combat systems (inertial barrier generators, speed boosts, turning in unnatural ways with sheer willpower) you'd probably see big helms running multiple large ship systems run by a psion or wilder or the like: PPs/turn is probably not worth it in a dinghy but amazing for a spelljamming galleon. Conversely, you probably can't power a frigate adequately with aegis-suit customization allocation or a pair of soul-daggers, but can probably boost some little personal fighter or wiesel-buggy all day long that way.

>Psi generators for non-magical. Antimagic screwing with you? You might not be able to fire your soul-bolts into that sphere, but what if you just used that endless power to fuel a laser, at least the beam - even if it loses its magic enhancements as soon as it crosses into the antimagic field- will continue and sear that oracle's smirk right off. Apply Psi, Impose Bacon. Plus you finally have a way of using a laser that doesn't involve several hundred gold a fight for a flimsy little fire weapon that already cost you more than a +2 magic weapon unenchanted.

Akashics are in a similar boat: They primarily function by allocating essence (their energy) in a semi-dynamic fashion across the various 'magic items' their veils more or less coalesce into (not that they take up your actual item slots in PF). Perhaps you would invest a certain amount of essence into a chosen vehicle, weapon
    >In fact there's already a 5k essence-forged weapon system in Steelforged which is actually very worth it, in particular for the axiomite daevic or akashic fighter archetype, who both would be investing essence into their weapon to begin with. You're using a valuable class resource to get your weapon, but it could just be worth it!

All this said, there was supposedly a Psi-Tech book in the works, with some kind of construct pilot class rumored. It was supposed to be out a good month or so ago though, so it may just have been wishful thinking.
    This is all amazing mate! I love the Deep Crystal Vehicles idea, it makes it seem like the vehicles are actually bonded to the psionic in an impressive manner. I'll do more searching for Akashics as well as that sounds interesting too!
    Cheers
    Your friendly neighbourhood sniperman.
    My controversial opinions:
    • I like blue souls.
    • Alignment isn't terrible.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.