Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Echoes OOC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Echoes OOC

Reposted from Recruitment Thread:
    Welcome back. For some of you, it's been a while, for others, not so much. I want to try to get into this as fast as I can, so I'll get the happy happy fun stuff out of the way at the beginning without bogging you down with too much unnecessary information. Be warned that I have been brushing up on my feudal structure, primarily by playing Crusader Kings II, so I'm pretty sure I'm a lot closer to having a properly sized empire this time.

Basic Rules

Anyway, here goes. *Dims Lights and opens bag of popcorn*

Even though the war against the Orlin Coalition, a loose conglomeration of city-states peopled primarily by goblinoids, has long since been formally closed, with the last of the treaties being signed at least fifteen years ago, peace has not settled across the land. While both the original inhabitants of the land and the newly instituted government are quick to push the blame for the political unease onto each other, it is hard to deny the existence of extreme militant factions at both ends of the spectrum who see themselves either as liberators trying to free their homelands or as vigilante militiamen trying to protect their new lands from domestic threats. Now the Krill nation, defined not by the land it inhabits but by its overwhelmingly large and highly mobile population has once again started raiding the southern lands. Whether you were assigned there, chose to be there, or what have you, you now find yourself in Redwater, a town near the new southern border of the empire which operates as the final port on the Holgarn river and the main supply point for Fort Redwater.
    Spoiler: Potentially Necessary Background
    Show
    The war started when the Krill nation, a large cavalry of orcs, started raiding the southern border of the Pergric Empire. The assaults had rather low body counts, at least from direct assaults as the raiders seemed more interested in stealing supplies than in killing, but there were always a few casualties. The imperial army tried to fight the raiders, but there were too few of them, and they had never trained for such large scale wars as they now had to fight. The raiders pushed northward, eventually reaching the capital of the southern kingdom. The orcs raided the countryside surrounding the city and split off into multiple groups, one large force remained at the city while smaller forces branched out and raided nearby towns to supply the besiegers.

Just when all hope seemed lost, the teleportation circle which had long lay dormant flared to life, and the High Army of the empire filed out. They moved quickly, mages lined the walls with archers filling in the empty spaces. As the archers and mages assaulted the orcs from the wall, the ground units stormed out of the front gate, sweeping into the line of orcs that were unprepared for such a vicious assault. Not an hour passed before the orcs sounded a horn of retreat.

Despite the success, the orcs still nearly overwhelmingly outnumbered the human armies, but the orcs never regained the advantage, and were forced back even through the lands that they had once called home.

The final real battle was fought at one of the forts near the center of the Orlin Coalition (and is now in the south-west corner of the empire's new land). Many of the orcs' families: women, children, and the like were there and would have been there until the children had grown old enough to fend for themselves. The tattered orcs made one final stand against the imperial forces to buy time for their loved ones to escape. It was in this battle that the leader of the Krill nation, Volar the Red, was captured along with many of his lieutenants. After the battle, the empire signed a non-aggression pact with the entirety of the coalition with the terms that the Krill nation in its entirety was to be exiled; though, it was worded in such a way that only those that had taken part in battle were actually forced to leave (which meant most of the men, a near if not a majority of the women, and some of the children) while any who wished to stay would, like the other citizens of the coalition, apply for paperwork.

As for the leaders of the Krill nation, they were all taken to the plebeian capital in the east where they met the guillotine and ceased to be of the world.
    Spoiler: 16 Questions
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    We will be using the D&D 5e system as I have wanted to use it for a while, but don't be surprised if I throw in bits of 3.5 where the core 3 books fall short.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    The setting is described above. I will note that the empire is centered on about 15S, and you'll be at about 36S. There will be storms and heat and stuff to deal with. The empire isn't designated on the map, but it extends from the plateau in the middle of the top all the way to the east and south to the bottom of the red box. It is also bordered by mountains on all but the east side where it is bordered by the ocean. The scale is 60 miles across the short diameter.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    I am looking for 5-6 players, but you have already been chosen, so there's that.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Right here on the forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Start at level 1 with 0 experience, but expect to move quickly to at least level 3. I want you to get a feel of the world before you make an absolute decision on the path you take within the class.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Starting packages and all that good stuff for class/profession. Roll for a trinket when you roll for abilities (Roll a d100 if you don't know what to do.)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Is there 5e homebrew yet? I'm betting there is, but I'd have to check the balance.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Dark elves don't exist, so you can't be one. You can be a monster race if you want, but it might not be the best idea as the people in this game are likely not going to be as nice to a kobold walking around as in the last game.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    4d6b3 7x, dropping one or 27 point buy. If you get bad rolls, you may use the point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    I don't want to be cleaning up your corpses/sending you to prison, so please don't attack the guards (unless they deserve it).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    If you're multiclassing, it will be the first time I've dealt with it in 5e. Let me know how it goes.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Roll dice in in character posts (or OOC if you forget something), and I will roll them all OOC. I will also roll saves and other reactionary rolls for you guys, so long as I remember to do it.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Not really. 5e classes can generally fit where they need to fit.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Background is required. The standard 5e background stuff is a good starting point, but I'd like at least the amount of detail in a ten-minute background on top of it. You don't have to use the template, but I'm looking for about that much detail, and I find that it's helpful for me some days.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Roleplaying, some fighting, and I'll do my best to stay away from explicit puzzles. There might be some detective work, snooping, maybe sabotage. It all depends what you decide to do.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Use the core 3 books and any other 5e books that may or may not be out.
    Player Sheet Color Race/Class Trinket Background
    Saskia Brynhild Indigo Dorf of da Mounties/Barbarian 17 Outlander
    sparky9042 Liarramasthan Green Half-Elf/Warlock 7 Urchin
    CeaseofMorality Jasper Maroon(ed) Wood Elf/Monk 24 Sailor (Pirate)
    Shinovar Kinduvas Medium Blue High-Elf/Fighter 28 Criminal
    Bladehunter217 Sadi Orange Gnome/Druid 7 Outlander
    SiegeTower Freyalise Revane Red Half-Elf/Bard 61 Entertainer
    Last edited by Diful Takveh; 2015-03-26 at 11:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echoes OOC

Well, here it is, the OOC thread (of doom). I hope you all enjoyed the "recruitment" process. For now, let's get down to business. I've copied down the state of things from the recruitment thread.

Redwater is split between a slum on the north side of the river and a walled town on the south side. About 70% (85% of which are goblins) of the 5,000 who live in the town are in those swamplands and toil in the fields growing rice and other crops that enjoy saturated environments. A small handful of goblins, barely enough to warrant a second hand to count, live in the northern part of the city, among which is the mayor's go-fer.

Two weeks ago, Redwater held its annual general election for both the offices of mayor and aldermen (of which there are three). David Fishel, the human who had been mayor since the end of the war due more to connections and legal loopholes than to people liking him lost to Elis Ebright, a progressive halfling merchant who had been a member of the city council, and had run for both the mayoral and alderman offices. Due to the laws of the town, should someone be elected to both offices, he shall nominate someone to take his place, and Elis had nominated Shad Renghart, a descendant of the goblin leaders of old to take the alderman position.

The night after the election, the slums were attacked by horsemen who cut down anyone who got in their way and burnt down quite a few houses, including Shad's. Shad was, luckily, in town memorizing his oath of office. His family was not so lucky, nor were somewhere on the order of 100 goblins and a handful of poor humans. The only reason those numbers weren't higher is that fire generally isn't the best tool to use in a swamp, and the horsemen didn't dismount to attack those who sought refuge in the ditches and swampland between the painstakingly raised roads and wooden walkways.

It is now two weeks since the tragedy, and the preliminary hearings are taking place in the seat of the duchy while a small group of officials is investigating the town. The militia has been disbanded, and citizens are not permitted to carry weapons. A small contingent of soldiers from Fort Redwater has taken up the duty to guard the city from threats both internal and external. Elis isn't satisfied with this and has put out a request for mercenaries to remain in town to keep the peace until the investigation is finished. Though there is no formal request for one, a traveling entertainer can help ease the tensions, racial or otherwise in the community, and if she plays her cards right, the people might demand she start an institution of her own. And you know what, people are even easier to con when they believe goblins are the only ones who will break the law and cause problems.

Okay, so I've put together starting points that I've hopefully based on your backgrounds. Ahem.
    1. Brynhild was contracted to help protect Redwater in the case of an orc attack. She arrived in town today, potentially uninformed of the current situation.
    2. Liarramasthan arrived in town a week ago and is now passing himself off as an unfortunate half-elven lad whose house was burnt down. Surprisingly, he's getting quite a bit of food. Alternatively, he could have had a run in with Kinduvas and now works with him.
    3. Kinduvas has been there a while and is now Robin Hooding on behalf of the North-Redwaterians.
    4. Sadi was living close to Redwater and saw the flames of the burning houses in the distance. He went to investigate and is now helping the goblins recover.
    5. Freyalise traveled south to a place where talk of war never died down for long. She had been working in the capital of the Vandre Duchy, of which Redwater was the county farthest southwest. She had intended to stay there and bring joy to the city but then heard of the tragedy in Redwater and knew her skills were more needed there.
    6. Jasper is a pirate, so he can do things that you can't. (In progress)
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

House People Combat:
    Name Initiative HP
    Orc 20 (?-20)/? OUT
    Kinduvas 18 12/12
    Mysterious Figure 17 ?/?
    Sadi 16 7/9
    Liam 14 10/10
    Orc 13 (?-22)/? OUT
    Brynhild 4 14/17
    Orc 2 (?-19)/? OUT
    Last edited by Diful Takveh; 2015-06-21 at 11:13 AM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, since I'm first and just so it doesn't get confusing (for me), I'll take the same color I had last time

5. - Top - End - #5

WhiteWizardGirl

Freya shall speak in a bright red to match her beautiful hair.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess I'll take the color from last time, too, except bold so I can actually see it Also because Brynhild is a barbarian, and barbarians shouldn't not speak in bold.

Or at least that's my estimation.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The first color from last time has been taken.

The second was just straight-up hideous.

Liam (because Liarramasthan is a mouthful for most unskilled in Elven) shall speak in green.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

So... for some of the sheets, I can't see ability score mods and/or skill bonuses. I guess the sheet doesn't auto-fill them for some reason. If you would kindly at least fill in ability score modifiers and trained skill bonuses, that would be lovely.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Green gone? Orange it is.

I'm back.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, the IC Thread is up, and is linked in the first post of this OOC thread. For those of you interested, it is also linked here.

Okay, so I didn't use names at all in the first post, so here's a list of who you are (if you can't already guess).
    Brynhild is the dwarf on the boat.
    Liam (Neeson) is the half-elf talking with the bread guy.
    Kinduvas is the elf leaning on the church.
    Sadi is helping the goblins in the field.
    Freyalise is playing music in the church to lift goblin spirits.
    Jasper is in the tavern being a sourpuss.

Once again, the IC is:

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Sorry I'm late! Jasper will be Maroon
    "What understanding or intelligence have they? They put their trust in popular bards and take the mob for their teacher, unaware that most people are bad, and few are good."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I originally hadn't looked at the other characters bechaven't had time, now I don't think I will for a while just to see where things lead.

I'm back.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Darn it Cease, if you had been yellow, we would've had a rainbow. Just kidding. Yellow is impossible to see on some screens.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diful Takveh View Post
    Darn it Cease, if you had been yellow, we would've had a rainbow. Just kidding. Yellow is impossible to see on some screens.
    I can't see yellow on any screen with a white background

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, also, how long about until it starts raining? Survival, maybe? (1d20+4)[15]?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Less than 15 minutes.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

WhiteWizardGirl

I forgot to roll for starting gold. Gonna do that now.

(5d4)[13]

EDIT: 130gp seems like a nice sum to start with.
    Last edited by SiegeTower; 2015-03-27 at 09:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought it was take starting package for class/background or roll for starting gold. What do I know though... I don't have my book in my person, and I'd rather not pull up a pdf to look at minutiae like that.

Also, after I wrote the first page, I thought to myself, "Wow, it seems like all the non-goblin NPCs are really hostile. That is not what I was going for at all. Guess I've got to introduce some of the nicer people who live south of the river."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

WhiteWizardGirl

I thought it was take starting package for class/background or roll for starting gold. What do I know though... I don't have my book in my person, and I'd rather not pull up a pdf to look at minutiae like that.

Also, after I wrote the first page, I thought to myself, "Wow, it seems like all the non-goblin NPCs are really hostile. That is not what I was going for at all. Guess I've got to introduce some of the nicer people who live south of the river."
    You know, it might have been but I missed where in the starting package the gold came from. This is my first stab at making a 5th edition character though so I'd rather go for the roll that just happened rather than trying to find the right place in the pdf if that's okay with you.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Argh! Why is everyone posting while I'm watching the Hobbit part 3 for the first time? Couldn't you all read my thoughts that I was not to be disturbed? Rant, rant, rant! Bluh, bluh, bluh! I kid of course. You guys are great.

But seriously, what is it with PCs and taverns? I start one of you in a tavern, and in no time flat, he's joined by two others. It's almost like the entire business model of taverns revolves around adventurers coming in, breaking things, and paying for damage.

Also, Shinovar and Cease, there is a fine half-elven lady hoping that one or both of you will buy her a drink. Surely one of you is the gentlemanly sort.

P.S. I keep switching between a 1920x1080 screen and a 1280x768 screen, so posts I write on the big screen are likely to be much longer than those on my small screen because my brain sees lines better than words, and what may look like 5 lines on the big screen could easily be 10 or 15 on the small screen (haven't actually checked the factor yet).
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

But seriously, what is it with PCs and taverns? I start one of you in a tavern, and in no time flat, he's joined by two others. It's almost like the entire business model of taverns revolves around adventurers coming in, breaking things, and paying for damage.
    For what it's worth, Brynhild would break thing, take the instigators' wallets as payment for wasting her time and wrongfully putting her at risk of harm, and then demand they pay the damages. Because weregild, something, something, NotVikings.

Also, Shinovar and Cease, there is a fine half-elven lady hoping that one or both of you will buy her a drink. Surely one of you is the gentlemanly sort.
    I'm pretty sure buying drinks for women at bars is always a bad idea, unless you're already a woman, and the drink is for you.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I just noticed that Myth-weavers changed their 5e sheet, and now they also have lines for hair/eye color if you want to write words rather than pick colors. It does make Saskia's sheet a little difficult to read as they have both moved the colors down and flipped them, so it looks like green hair and auburn eyes if a straight translation is made.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, it's raining now. Walking sure does take a lot of time.

Spent all day singing, changing clothes, and building things (Note: People finally trust me with power tools), and am looking forward to a long night of homework. Like 5 am long night of homework.

Also, I am totally not doing the tutorial thingy at the beginning of every computer RPG where your characters get controlled to advance the plot of the first few moments. *Looks away guiltily*
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

WhiteWizardGirl

Woops, for some reason brain didn't process the part of the post where Kiduvas had also tried buy Freyalise a drink. I shall remedy this.

EDIT: See? That was totally Freya's plan all along and I totally didn't just blank while reading a post. No one can claim otherwise.
    Last edited by SiegeTower; 2015-03-30 at 10:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Stupid schedule, making me not write things and all that. The good news is that we're on to higher order differential equations now, so I'm getting fewer implicit solutions which means I can now check them more easily with Mathematica. I should be able to get something out later tonight, and by that, I mean I will get something out barring an anvil falling through the roof and knocking me unconscious (which would be totally ridiculous and only comedic in an ironic way).
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

WhiteWizardGirl

I think it would be wise to throw an event in the game that brings the PCs together. Even if an anvil doesn't crush you Looney Toons style, I don't think typing up three different posts for every group of PCs is good for your sanity.

27. - Top - End - #27

WhiteWizardGirl

Oh no, it's getting pretty late. Are you alright Diful?! Have you been squished by an anvil and now make amusing accordion sounds every time you take a step?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiegeTower View Post
    I think it would be wise to throw an event in the game that brings the PCs together. Even if an anvil doesn't crush you Looney Toons style, I don't think typing up three different posts for every group of PCs is good for your sanity.
    Nah, first game, I had them split up in three groups for ten or so pages. Sometimes even four...

Quote Originally Posted by SiegeTower View Post
    Oh no, it's getting pretty late. Are you alright Diful?! Have you been squished by an anvil and now make amusing accordion sounds every time you take a step?
    Yeah, I'm okay. Just died when the barricade was taken. No biggie.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

So basically Kinduvas is headed into the rich section of town. He will be going to places that he knows that the rich people would gather during the storm. If those don't exist, then he will look for opportunities to either spy on or steal from the rich that he has information have done wrong to the goblins

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinovar View Post
    So basically Kinduvas is headed into the rich section of town. He will be going to places that he knows that the rich people would gather during the storm. If those don't exist, then he will look for opportunities to either spy on or steal from the rich that he has information have done wrong to the goblins
    Got it. Will put it in the next post.

Anyway, I had to attend to the duties of Hippitus Hoppitus all day, but should be freer tomorrow and will get a post out. Those who look to the north can see where a wide band of sunlight approaches the town. This was a short burst of a storm as is often seen in spring and summer, not quite the power of a tropical storm in just more time than an average afternoon tea.
    Show