Default The Cyst: Monasteries and the Militant [OOC]

Recruitment Thread
    IC Thread

Player Class Race Sheet
    bcool999 Warlock//Binder Human Joshua Fellhammer
    Still_I_Rise Swashbuckler//Factotum Human Silvia Tauber
    PurpleSocks Hexblade//Ogre Mage Racial Class Ogre Mage Jötnar Jörmungand
    Sønderjye Artificer//Wizard Halfling Felos Lionheart
    whoiam Crusader//Cloistered Cleric Human Mamellek (Unknown)
    Seharvepernfan Scout//Martial Transmuter Human Celrak Lendaxaer

Spoiler: Game Information
    Show
    System: D&D 3.5 in a fairly generic setting. The characters will be citizens of a large city-state and the game will begin at a tiny, wilderness outpost.
    Player Count: Three to six. If more people are interested I suppose I could set up another party. Maybe. We'll see if there's sufficient interest first.
    Style of Play: Plenty of roleplaying, some combat, probably a puzzle on occasion.
    Allowed Content: I have most 3e and 3.5 sourcebooks, so most official content is allowable. If you aren't sure, feel free to ask. Homebrew is okay too if I approve it.

Character Creation:

Backstory: You can be a member of the army stationed at the outpost (voluntary or conscripted) or just a traveler passing through. Backstory should be at least a couple paragraphs but it doesn't have to be too complicated. No novellas, please.
    Experience: Level 1 gestalt
    Wealth: 200 gp
    Ability Scores: 3.5 pointbuy with 36 points
    Hitpoints/Health: Max at first level, roll or average later
    Alignment: I don't take alignment very seriously. As long as your character is able to play along with the group, I don't care what label you put on them.
    Hide/Move Silently is replaced with Stealth; Spot/Listen with Perception.

Other Notes: Players will do most of the die-rolling. I'll roll initiative and skill checks like Search, Perception, and Sense Motive. I won't make a big deal of this, but you should use third person, present tense in your posts. No flaws allowed.
    Last edited by byzantineblue; 2015-03-28 at 09:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Cyst: Monasteries and the Militant [OOC]

The Locality:

The current arrangement of states in this region has been stable for some 150 years, ever since Queen Isaleen of the Kingdom of Tullar undertook to conquer all the surrounding kingdoms. He allied with both Layland and Pageria and she and her son King Tidus proceeded to conquer the entire northeastern region of the continent in the next fifty years. This was accomplished in large part by advanced metalworking technology as well as the tactical mastery of General Agius, who was as unmerciful as she was clever. There are stories that she summoned up a legion of demons to aid her, or the monarchs were corrupted by the Blue Throne. These myths are understandable, as the two rulers and their general were tyrants whose rule ruined the land. (Pageria attempted to invade through Robin's Pass, but the Tullan army was miraculously able to fend them off in a battle that passed into legend.)

After the land recovered, however, King Graucus (the grandson of King Tidus) instituted a series of reforms, including the establishment of an advisory parliament of representatives from across the empire. The monarchs' just rule has since brought the empire together and kept the region peaceful. (The western continent and the Enthany Coast, however, remain fraught with strife. This is excellent for the Tullan economy, as there is always a need in the west for more supplies and weapons.)

Now the area is peaceful. Layland does lie next to the Enthany Coast, but the fighting does not spill over because of the treaty between Layland and the Tullar Empire. If Layland or Pageria are attacked, the Tullar Empire will come to their aid.

The Highlands are, according to tradition, a barbaric land. This is due to the fact that about half of its population consists of "monsters" such as orcs, goblins, and similar. In fact, the nation was quite uncivilized for many centuries, and was involved in many minor skirmishes with the forces of the empire, but approximately fifty years ago, King Eashdan brought about an era of reform and progress. He made an effort to recruit knowledgeable engineers and other experts from neighboring lands. In the same period, the minotaurs in the southern Highlands discovered how to weave silk, and there was a wave of innovations in farming technology. The Highland economy was vastly improved in only ten years, and they are no longer as aggressive as they once were. The Tullar Empire at large still thinks of them as barbarian aggressors, however.

The Continent:
    Last edited by byzantineblue; 2015-03-29 at 05:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Reserved for Info

Anyway, you can make your first posts and reserve text colors. Please make it just a color. Not bolded or underlined or whatever weird stuff people do. No "bolded purple" or "underlined liliac" just colors.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Reserving Purple for Joshua Fellhammer's speech color!

Feels great to have the threads up! Like having your hands full of stuff and having an empty closet to dump it all into... hmm... that was kinda a random and weird sentiment...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in this, right?

If so, I'll take teal.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

frown Re: The Cyst: Monasteries and the Militant [OOC]

Can't believe I missed purple...

Who am I, what am I?

I guess I'll have to settle for.... Maroon
    "It is not the strongest of the species characters that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change" - Attributed to but not actually by Charles Darwin

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    I'm in this, right?

If so, I'll take teal.
    Oh yeah, you are. Where did the link to your sheet go?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by byzantineblue View Post
    Oh yeah, you are. Where did the link to your sheet go?
    Celrak Lendaxaer

Here's the link to the sheet.
    "It is not the strongest of the species characters that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change" - Attributed to but not actually by Charles Darwin

9. - Top - End - #9

Is there a reason no one is posting IC yet..?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Sorry, I assumed I should wait till the world info was posted.

11. - Top - End - #11

Just posted it; also when I said to make your first post I meant IC, sorry.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

That is the coolest map I have ever seen in a pbp. How long can you sustain that level of pixelated glory?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSocks View Post
    That is the coolest map I have ever seen in a pbp. How long can you sustain that level of pixelated glory?
    Thanks! I dunno, I was thinking of making ones like it for encounters, but it would take a while. Maybe just for complicated encounters that would be hard to visualize without a map. I usually do have quite a bit of time on my hands.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Well it's well liked (at least on my part) but don't overstretch yourself, the prettiness of the maps comes second to the whole GM'ing thing

15. - Top - End - #15

Is there a reason no one's posting or...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Maybe we smell bad?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry I need to roll a binding check for Nabarius: (1d20+4)[7] vs DC 15

I suppose I can have my character be hiding in the trade caravan... little annoying to have to give up weapons though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

If you dont want to dont be a part of the trade caravan :P

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

How big is this fort? I assume there will be space for him to camp down in like a common room but would there be enough private rooms for all?

Does its remoteness imply its ramshackle and run down, or does it need to be large and self sufficient as there is no help for many miles?
    Last edited by PurpleSocks; 2015-03-29 at 03:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

It's pretty small; the guards have a single dormitory. Travelers sleep in the common room.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'll post later tonight! In the meantime, I claim Medium Blue

Avatar image: "What Only Exists In The Mind," Jeffrey Smith, www.ascendingstorm.com

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I feel like such a douche for disarming everybody, now ninjas are going to jump through the forts windows and TPK us because I had the bright idea to roleplay disarming stranger before letting them inside a military building :(

23. - Top - End - #23

Nnno, that would be stupid :U

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I'm here. I was away for the last two days. I thought I would be able to post in that time, but not so much. IC post incoming.

These maps are awesome!
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Did the captain stay over night to discuss the "event" or was he in town and just hasnt returned since the event occured?

26. - Top - End - #26

He was in town when the event occurred.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSocks View Post
    Not waiting to hear the mans responce Jortnar strides into the fort to collect his things, whilst inside he flags down a nearby soldier who doesn't appear to be doing anything "Could you fetch sister Mamellek, tell her I'm going to go look for the captain, and I figured she might want to join me."
    You know how I said in the first IC post that the players are the only ones in the fort except for the trade caravan..?

28. - Top - End - #28

^^^ Mamellek's another PC, whoiam's character.

EDIT: And nevermind, you were referencing the soldier he flagged down. Going to bed now...
    Last edited by Still_I_Rise; 2015-03-31 at 12:33 AM.

Avatar image: "What Only Exists In The Mind," Jeffrey Smith, www.ascendingstorm.com

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Ah crap sorry, I sorta completely misread/forgot that part and assumed there was a handful of of npc soldiers...

Jortnars actions make like absolutely no sense now,

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

In retrospec I should have read the OOC before posting in the IC. Will eait for purple-'s edit before editting.
    Claiming some red color.

So under goods and services you can pay people yo cast spells on you. If a spell has an xp component it costs 5gp per 1 xp. Will you allow me to pay people to donate xp to item creation at the same rate?