New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #979 - The Discussion Thread

Here's an afterthought.

It's funny... with all the fancy and memorable one-liners in this strip, I find that Crystal's "YOU NEED KILLING!" is the best retort ever, in its brutal simplicity.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    Here's an afterthought.

It's funny... with all the fancy and memorable one-liners in this strip, I find that Crystal's "YOU NEED KILLING!" is the best retort ever, in its brutal simplicity.
    Hah. For me Haley's "Yeah, true, but still!" reply beat it in awesomeness by so much I didn't even take note of the original one in itself, but you are right, it's pretty neat!

Of course, the place in my heart now and forever belongs to "A wizard never loses their ticket!"
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

I did not expect Haley to be able to talk her way out of that situation - I assumed Crystal would just be too thick and full of malice. Skillfully done though.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It occurs to me that this settles the side debate about whether Haley is still using her boots of speed.
    Since when was that a side debate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Since when was that a side debate?
    Since she got Bandana's ex armor with different color from her old one while there was no evidence if she had tanned her boots to match or if she was wearing Bandana's ex boots.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

6. - Top - End - #306

To get the big payoff, Crystal + Haley have to be 1-on-1, but how to get Bandanna offstage without just beating her unconscious or have her fail her self-imposed duty to assist Haley?

"Dang."

Bandanna expresses disappointment that she is unable to continue helping-while-getting-clobbered.

It's a small moment but a good one.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't know if anyone commented on this, but I really liked the "shadows" effect of the hasted characters.

I was re-reading the strip and couldn't fail to notice the look on Bozzok's face when Crystal bursts through the wall. He looks like a cheating husband who's about to start saying "Crystal, darling, this is not what it seems..."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's a risky bet. Not even the Giant can get strip projections right, a habit he mocked when Durkon was getting his tourist visa back in Bleedingham.

Of course, the bonus joke there was that it took a further 90 strips to get them out of the city, not 30.
    As a further joke, it was pointed out that Durkon himself was actually only in 30 strips on Bleedingham, thus making his prediction correct. I remember counting that to be actually true, but it's entirely possible I miscounted.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    As a further joke, it was pointed out that Durkon himself was actually only in 30 strips on Bleedingham, thus making his prediction correct. I remember counting that to be actually true, but it's entirely possible I miscounted.
    I just counted and got 19, or 20 if you count the strip he gets his papers, so I don't know where that idea came from.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2015-03-31 at 12:05 PM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I don't really understand why the adamantine arrows all missed. I suppose Haley had bad luck on her rolls because Crystal does not seem to have an excessively high AC.
    I thought Crystal dodged them? I don't really know how that works in D&D.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Its represented through dexterity bonus to AC. Im going to go out on a limb and say that Rich was not especially concerned with direct mechanical translation of that particular scene.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #312
    Barbarian in the Playground

Its represented through dexterity bonus to AC. Im going to go out on a limb and say that Rich was not especially concerned with direct mechanical translation of that particular scene.
    New question: does the Crystal Golem count as Crystal-with-a-template, or Golem-being-run-by-Crystal?
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    New question: does the Crystal Golem count as Crystal-with-a-template, or Golem-being-run-by-Crystal?
    Um...

yes.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Um...

yes.
    You mathematician, you.

15. - Top - End - #315

That depends on your philosophical perspective on bodies and souls and their relationships.

Although I'd say that if 6 dead bodies were used for creation of this thing then it's Golem-being-run-by-Crystal
    also I would say "like hell this isn't necromancy" :\
    Last edited by Liliet; 2015-03-31 at 01:48 PM.
    ava by me
    Yes, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I find DR and regeneration (Tarquin) quite overpowered in OOTS and can't say if Crystal has more DR than a regular Flesh Golem.
    Keep in mind, Haley's bow is +5 icy burst. If Crystal only had DR 5/adamantine, the enhancement bonus to damage would offset the DR and arrows hitting her should have done normal arrow damage. They appear to do no damage, so I think it's reasonable to expect her DR to be higher. And DR tends to be in multiples of 5 in most cases, so Crystal probably has at least DR 10/adamantine....In which case swapping to an adamantine weapon is a good idea.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #317
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    That depends on your philosophical perspective on bodies and souls and their relationships.

Although I'd say that if 6 dead bodies were used for creation of this thing then it's Golem-being-run-by-Crystal
    also I would say "like hell this isn't necromancy" :\
    Who cares about philosophy! I come here for rules arguments.

And it's definitely unclear how many non-Crystal parts are in the Crystal Golem.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And it's definitely unclear how many non-Crystal parts are in the Crystal Golem.
    Since it's a golem made of flesh, it's possible that there's little Crystal on it...

19. - Top - End - #319

Who cares about philosophy! I come here for rules arguments.

To me, it's pretty obvious: enough for Resurrection, not enough for Raise Dead.

Also, who cares about rules arguments when you can discuss philosophy???
    ava by me
    Yes, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Keep in mind, Haley's bow is +5 icy burst. If Crystal only had DR 5/adamantine, the enhancement bonus to damage would offset the DR and arrows hitting her should have done normal arrow damage. They appear to do no damage, so I think it's reasonable to expect her DR to be higher. And DR tends to be in multiples of 5 in most cases, so Crystal probably has at least DR 10/adamantine....In which case swapping to an adamantine weapon is a good idea.
    Probably but I was unsure if this was a representation of high armor class or DR.
    Two arrows are deflected which is quite the effect granted by "protection from arrows" (which should indeed indicate "did hit but didn't pass DR") in some previous occurence and two break on Crystal.
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-03-31 at 03:33 PM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I thought it was a case of " I Rolled a FOUR!"
    As the Troll Masterchef was wont to sing : "There's no Race like Gnome for the Hollendaise".

Spoiler
    Show

DM of the Arena: " Gareth goes to swing his Great Axe over his head. Gareth ( roll, roll) trips over his big toe and spins in mid air, landing flat on his back. The Great Axe returns and lands blade first in the center of his chest, causing 21 damage."

Spoiler
    Show
    NG Halfling Sorcerer (6th )

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 15

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Probably but I was unsure if this was a representation of high armor class or DR.
    Two arrows are deflected which is quite the effect granted by "protection from arrows" (which should indeed indicate "did hit but didn't pass DR") in some previous occurence and two break on Crystal.
    The odds of a high-level character with a +5 weapon failing to beat AC all four times is quite slim. More importantly, I think Haley would know the difference and that non-epic adamantine arrows wouldn't increase her attack roll.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #323

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The odds of a high-level character with a +5 weapon failing to beat AC all four times is quite slim. More importantly, I think Haley would know the difference and that non-epic adamantine arrows wouldn't increase her attack roll.
    Well, you quickly have a severe decrease of "hit" in a full attack. And maybe two of these arrows use the same die, I'm not sure about how rogues works.

You're most certainly right, I'm just saying it's not a certitude. Or I'm missing something.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

I find DR and regeneration (Tarquin) quite overpowered in OOTS and can't say if Crystal has more DR than a regular Flesh Golem.

Maybe Crystal's knife is large rather than medium, but if medium, it deals:
    1d4 + Haley's STR modifier (between 1 and 4) + 4 - Crystal's DR
    Which is AT MOST: 1d4+3 if Crystal has only 5 DR like a regular Flesh Golem and Haley has 18-19 STR.

The adamantine dagger on another hand, deals:
    1d4 + Haley's STR modifier
    It bypass a DR of 20 and we can safely assume Crystal does not have more than 5 DR.
    It then deals AT LEAST: 1d4+1 if Haleys has only 13 STR And if the dagger is non magical.
    If we suppose the same STR modifier than upside, it's 1d4+4 which is better than 1d4+3! And can be even better if the dagger is magical.

The counterpart for the adamantine dagger is that it should be harder for Haley to hit if it's non magical (she would lose 3 to hit since the dagger is at least masterwork which is a +1 bonus), but flanking bonus is also very powerful in OOTS so Haley and Bandana hits while flanking.

I don't really understand why the adamantine arrows all missed. I suppose Haley had bad luck on her rolls because Crystal does not seem to have an excessively high AC.
    I seem to recall that Adamatine weapons get a +2 to hit and damage that specifically overlaps with weapon enchantments in the form of +'s to hit and damage.
    "I Burn!"

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    I seem to recall that Adamatine weapons get a +2 to hit and damage that specifically overlaps with weapon enchantments in the form of +'s to hit and damage.
    You're thinking of Drow weapons from the Forgotten Realms setting, which also have the property of losing all their power with exposure to sunlight. Normal weapons that are made of adamantine simply bypass a common form of damage reduction and ignore the Hardness of objects.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Colossus in the Playground

In 3rd ed, they are always "masterwork" which is a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls (but not damage).

Bonuses of the same type don't stack.

So a nonmagical adamantine sword, and a +1 adamantine sword, both have the same +1 to attack - but the magic sword gets +1 damage as well.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #327

In D&D (3.5), you inflict damage (possibly 0 damage, but still) with weapons if your hit score is higher than the opponent's Armor Class.

Hit Score is mostly calculated by:
    - A D20 roll (note that a 1 always misses and a 20 always hit)
    - Your BAB (Base Attack Bonus) which depend of your/s class/es and level/s.
    - Your STR modifier for melee weapons and your DEX modifier for range weapons (except if modified by some feat)
    - Size modifier (if the target is bigger than you are, it's easier to hit and you're harder to hit)
    - You gain +1 if your weapon is a Masterwork Weapon (good quality) and +x if it's a +x weapon.
    - Other modifiers from feats, magic items, spells or skills may apply

Armor Class is mostly calculated by:
    - A natural base AC of 10
    - Your armor
    - DEX modifier (which can be limited by the kind of armor you're wearing)
    - Size modifier (same thing than in the Hit Score, but it doesn't count double. You can either consider +1 to AC or -1 to hit for a target one range smaller than you are)
    - Other modifiers from feats, magic items, spells or skills may apply

The "Evasion" feat exists and allows to "dodge" an area attack, but I don't think dodge exists otherwise as such. (Uncanny dodge grants bonus to AC, Improved Uncanny Dodge is something else entirely.)

The funny thing here is that Hit Score seems to be something that indicates your aiming as well as your ability to overcome your opponent's armor.
    For example, a big slow monster with really really heavy armor is hard to miss, but you won't overcome his AC.
    While a nimble little monster would take damage from whatever hit that... hits, but his AC will represent the difficulty to hit him.

That's why the 3 adamantine arrows can show either:
    - Unlucky D20 rolls from Haley
    - High AC from Crystal

Since none of the first 4 arrows did miss, it probably means as the banana says. We've first seen Crystal's high DR and then a gag of Haley being unlucky. And maybe Crystal doesn't have a really high AC.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    I did think about this! (but wrote about slashing his throat instead bc that sounded like moer fun)
    It would make for a pretty great completely silent fighting scene :0

Yes. This will happen. Exactly this.

Oh, this is just one complication of the MANY that arise in this scenario!
    And they are all DELICIOUS :3

re: gnomes ...maybe the local clerics are not high enough level for resurrect but enough for raise dead?...

*reassmebles, dusts off, sadly looks at the now gooey floor* thanks
    Part of the fluff of liches is their control of lesser undead. While Crystal's not undead per se, if I'm Roy I don't want to take a chance on Xykon or Red Cloak taking control of Crystal in battle.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

29. - Top - End - #329
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    No, but they do bypass hardness. They get a +1 to hit by virtue of being masterwork.

This ultrahard metal adds to the quality of a weapon or suit of armor. Weapons fashioned from adamantine have a natural ability to bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20. Armor made from adamantine grants its wearer damage reduction of 1/- if it’s light armor, 2/- if it’s medium armor, and 3/- if it’s heavy armor. Adamantine is so costly that weapons and armor made from it are always of masterwork quality; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. Thus, adamantine weapons and ammunition have a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and the armor check penalty of adamantine armor is lessened by 1 compared to ordinary armor of its type. Items without metal parts cannot be made from adamantine. An arrow could be made of adamantine, but a quarterstaff could not.

Only weapons, armor, and shields normally made of metal can be fashioned from adamantine. Weapons, armor and shields normally made of steel that are made of adamantine have one-third more hit points than normal. Adamantine has 40 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 20.

SRD
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

30. - Top - End - #330

GreenSorcererElf

...Do you think it's possible that after Crystal kills Bozzok she'll go right back to killing Haley?