Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default RP-Heavy Campaign OOC

Alrighty folks, post whatever speech color you'll be using.

You'll all be starting in a small town called Riverton (so named for the fact that it's situated on the Mulbery River). Such original naming!. You should all be, for whatever reason, wanting to head to the trade city/metropolis of Mulbery End, (so named for the fact that it's situated at the end of the Mulbery River) Even more original!

If you'd like to include in your post why you're heading towards Mulbery End as well as any questions you have on the world in general that'd be fine with me. Feel free to create part of the world as a part of your backstory (For example if you want your character to be from the city of Forestville which is up the river from Riverton, thats fine)

Player Character Class Role
    wkwkwkwk1 Drakeen Eyeblaze Wizard A "crafty" wizard with a penchant for towers
    Vreejack Illimir Monk A quiet orc seeking enlightenment...though his fists
    DarkSetzer Gundahar Barbarian A simple farmer gone berserk
    GM_3826 Benevin Rassebald Rogue Impoverished noble looking to make his way
    whoiam Alauniira'a Cloistered Cleric A Drow looking for to make the world better
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: RP-Heavy Campaign OOC

*Grin* To further show where the original inspiration for Alauniira'a came from, I shall name her home as Ust Natha . A small (but very rich) Drow City that has sprung up around a series of fortifications dating back to the Drow-Human war due to it's position on what became the major trade route between Mulbery End and the Drow Heartlands.

Alauniira'a herself was one of the Drow sent to the surface as a treaty hostage, and spent the last decade in a convent near Riverton, devoting an awful lot of time to her religious studies because... well, she was in the care of a community of nuns and wasn't allowed out much. That was really all she had to do.

She's been out of the convent for a bare few days by the start of play. She wasn't released as such... After she'd been a model hostage for a decade they weren't really keeping that close an eye on her, so she just walked out when the nuns were asleep.

She's been in Riverton long enough to learn that Drow aren't exactly popular in most human towns. Drow and Humans got off on the wrong foot, and the stories of Drow Evils that the trade caravans keep on bringing up ensures she's fighting an uphill battle to be welcomed... well, anywhere. She's been listening out for any group travelling to Mulbery End, for the reasons that a) it's one of the few human cities she can actually name, b) it sees enough Drow merchants that she probably won't be as much of an outcast there as she is in Riverton and c)she really doesn't fancy tackling the road solo considering the welcome people usually give her...

And Alauniira'a shall speak in... Dark Grey!

3. - Top - End - #3

GreenSorcererElf

Alright then!
    Here is the speech color I will be using.
    ...My character will probably be going to the metropolis because it's well, a metropolis. More opportunities, more of a chance to get his name out there.
    Let's say he's been living in the city of Isgard, which is a very expensive city to live in founded by aristocrats, nobles, and the king. Think Versailles. His family lost their wealth after a former war with the nation of Qutai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't mind me, just claiming my (Drakeen's, actually) color

Actually, I don't know whether to use Turquoise or this one, Teal. Or orange.. Nah, probably not orange

So either Turquoise or Teal, probably Teal. Not sure though

Spoiler: Stat Block
    Show

Drakeen Eyeblaze
    HP: 5
    Speed: Walk, 30 ft.
    AC: 12 Touch: 12 Flat-Footed: 10
    Fort: +2 Ref: +2 Will: +4
    Initiative: +6
    Melee Attack Bonus: +1
    Ranged Attack Bonus: +2

Spells:
    Cantrips [DC 15] (3+1):
    1st Level [DC 16] (3+1):
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2015-04-01 at 05:32 PM.

Spoiler: GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gundahar shall speak in violet, the most manly and angry of colors.

As for his reason for traveling to the Metropolis, well... you see, "My farm done burnt down, an' I had to skedaddle out o' there right quick. I was wonderin' if'n there were anyone what might want ta go fix 'er up. Take 'er off my hands, show 'er the love what she deserves. I aint askin' much, heck, y'all can have 'er for free. I can't tend to her like I used to could. Figure it's right time for a change in my life. Mayhap I can do some good for the world."
    Last edited by DarkSetzer; 2015-04-01 at 05:53 PM.

Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

Ivridda Stonefinder, cartographer and diviner
    Rhovarax "Paxan" Beerbelly, world class tavern brawler
    Gundahar, simple farmer gone berserk

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

This would seem to be an appropriate color for Illimir

Illimir is a member of the order of Holy Denis, a martyred priest of Lathander (or whatever appropriate god...)

The monks of St. Denis revere the gods as all good people do, but they are particularly fond of Law and Goodness. They are also fond of brewing adult beverages, which they believe are proof that the gods love us and want us to be happy.

The monks of St. Denis have monasteries in some cities but the core of their work is actually done on the frontier, where they are known for defending the weak and planting vineyards. They are not known to drink to excess, but there exist some fallen monks who have fallen off the wagon.

There had been a monastery in Riverton Mulberry, but it had been attacked and destroyed a decade ago. Illimir had come with an elder brother to investigate restoring the property but once they had been here a few days, clearing out burned timbers from the few remaining stone buildings, they were attacked at the site by a skilled and dangerous group and only Illimir survived. He wound up working at the Mulberry Tavern (in Riverton)as a manager/server/bouncer/cleaner for several weeks, but has yet to see any coins from the owner. It has been educational but it is time to move on. He should report to his superior if he can find one.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2015-04-02 at 07:04 AM.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    This would seem to be an appropriate color for Illimir

Illimir is a member of the order of Holy Denis, a martyred priest of Lathander (or whatever appropriate god...)
    May I suggest Ilmater, the martyr god? Google it and see what you think

Drakeen has heard of Mulbery End's libraries, which she hopes to browse, even though she has no money to buy any of the books or transcribe any spells.

Drakeen was born in the Elven Forests, which are to the North. She was raised by her parents until she reached 110 years of age, when they sent her to the Wizard's Academy, West of the forest, where she was taught in the ways of magic. She then set off to explore the world, and to learn more about the secrets of magic.
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2015-04-02 at 12:20 PM.

Show
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wkwkwkwk1 View Post
    May I suggest Ilmater, the martyr god? Google it and see what you think

Drakeen has heard of Mulbery End's libraries, which she hopes to browse, even though she has no money to buy any of the books or transcribe any spells.

Drakeen was born in the Elven Forests, which are to the [direction opposite to where Mulbery End is in relation to Riverton, so if Mulbery End is to the South, the Elven forests are to the North]. She was raised by her parents until she reached 110 years of age, when they sent her to the Wizard's Academy, to the [East, if the forest is to the North, North if the Forest is to the East, and the same for the other directions] of the forest, where she was taught in the ways of magic. She then set off to explore the world, and to learn more about the secrets of magic.

Where is Riverton in relation to Mulbery End?
    Yes, Ilmater. I always wind up swapping their names. But apparently Illimir was named after Ilmater by his brothers, so he won't forget.

I also fixed the place-names in my last post. Riverton lost its monastery ten years ago and there were no survivors and there was no explanation. The place is a mess with a few stone shells and no roofs. Illimir arrived there with his master to find a few bandits or something squatting there at the time. They were chased off but his master was killed. Illimir cleaned out some of the debris, enough to access one of the cellars, but found no great treasures--at least nothing anyone other than a monk of St. Denis would appreciate. Books are generally not stored in cellars because of the damp, and everything above ground burned, so...

But he did find a cellar largely intact. A cellar from a monastery of St. Denis. Which is why he put the stones back where he found them. Now I need to update his inventory.

edit: the monks of St. Denis wear carmine robes in order to hide the stains, blood or wine.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2015-04-02 at 07:44 AM.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomeWizardGuy

Riverton is north of Mulbery End.

If it helps I'm imagining Mulbery End a city with the personality of New Orleans in Mardi Gras and the feel of New York City. Like the city that never sleeps except when it's hungover.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hipho View Post
    Riverton is north of Mulbery End.

If it helps I'm imagining Mulbery End a city with the personality of New Orleans in Mardi Gras and the feel of New York City. Like the city that never sleeps except when it's hungover.
    What an amazing combination of order and chaos. And temptation. Only the most dedicated monks of St. Denis could thrive there, and novices are generally kept away. This could be the most difficult challenge of Illimir's life.

"As you approach the intersection a parade float appears. It is level 3 and is accompanied by four level 2 girls gone wild."

Aside from that, I changed the color of Illimir's robes to match those of his order. Also so that he no longer looks like "Luke Skyworcer"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Alauniira'a and Gundahar are the only PCs that have actually lived around Riverton for any real length of time, with Illimir here for a few weeks after looking at the ruins of his order's local monastery and Benevin and Drakeen just passing through?

Just trying to work out how many of you Alauniira'a might actually know

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's possible that Alauniira'a may know Gundahar, though he lives a good hike (at least 2-3 days north-west walking at a good pace) from Riverton. And he mostly keeps to himself. His farm being isolated, several miles from the nearest other home, his only real interaction would be with merchants/travelers passing by on the roads to the city, and only then to sell them some of his harvest, maybe to offer them a place to sleep if they need it. Beyond that he'd have kept to himself as much as possible, rarely leaving his farm and the surrounding countryside. At most he would travel a few hours out, at least up until now that is.

Not to say that he wouldn't know Alauniira'a, just that if he does it is most likely only in passing.
    Last edited by DarkSetzer; 2015-04-02 at 10:02 AM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

That's enough :) In the decade Alauniira'a's lived near Riverton, she'd have seen Gundahar maybe a dozen times. All of their previous meetings would come with her as part of a small convoy of nuns coming to buy supplies for the convent. She'd stick out from the pack because she's a lone Drow in a group of humans, but other than that she's done nothing especially memorable during their meetings.

(Basically, she'd volunteer for any trip, no matter how boring, as an excuse to get to see a little of the world outside the convent. So she's spent a lot of her decade helping move supplies to and from the convent...)

So, yes, they're not friends or anything, but they can recognize each others' faces.

(I just wanted someone she'd know well enough not to be afraid or suspicious of when the party first starts grouping up.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fair enough, that works.

...Won't stop Gundahar from being crazy suspicious and distrusting though.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

That is generally considered the most sensible mindset with which to deal with a Drow

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

The Order of St. Denis

"Know your limits"

St. Denis was a priest of Ilmater who was martyred about 150 hundreds of years ago. The order which bears his name reveres Ilmater above all but respects all the gods as would any ordinary person. The monks of St. Denis strive to be LG but most are LN or even NG or *gasp* true neutral. Adventurers must be lawful if they wish to advance in their monk level.

Monks of St. Denis rarely travel without a clear and grave purpose, being preoccupied with the running of their monasteries. The monks are not considered cloistered, however, and pursue a policy of active engagement with surrounding communities. They are effective at police work, and some monasteries will organize patrols to keep peace and order, but only when the civil authority is clearly incapable of the task or they have been explicitly invited by the authorities. The monks stay out of politics.

The monks of St. Denis practice three basic activities: purifying their bodies through practice of the martial arts, practical study of how to reduce suffering in real communities--and it needs to be made clear that just giving alms will not satisfy the requirement of practicality, and cultivation and processing of plants into tasty adult beverages.

Their monasteries can be divided broadly into two categories: urban and rural. City monasteries will have experimental gardens as room permits, and will have simple, primitive stills* set up for the final brewing of such drinks as jenever. In winter they make apple jack by progressive freezing of cider. This will produce an aroma that can sometimes be detected for quite some distance if conditions are right. Some city monasteries have set up a type of apprenticeship program for lay brothers (who are not monks) to learn a trade, as education is seen as one way to reduce suffering.

Rural monasteries must be completely self-sufficient, but trade their vintages to other--especially city-enclosed--monasteries, and to civilians for what is locally unavailable. They are heavily preoccupied with viniculture and the cultivation of other necessary fruits and grains.

All monasteries will have a library containing standard religious texts of all sorts and also many on horticulture and hydraulic engineering, written by former heroes of the order. Monasteries of St. Denis are clean, and the monks are interested in cleanliness as a means of improving the health and well-being especially of city residents, which reduces disease and suffering. All monasteries will have a monk who at least knows where to find the book On Sewers and Aqueducts, and there may even be an expert or two present. Their gardens always have impressive examples of irrigation and drainage. Rural monks will at least have a good idea of how to make the desert bloom.

Monasteries of St. Denis are not wealthy and have no need for gold or jewelry. However, some lords have deposited treasure with them for safe-keeping, and they take this role seriously. Many an impoverished and dispossessed heir of an aristocratic house has discovered that the words whispered by his grand-sire on his death bed were true. "St. Denis keeps your birthright." This is not commonly known.

If poverty or other disaster afflicts the local area, monks of St. Denis will organize relief efforts in the form of practical housing construction and food rationing. When order breaks down they impose it with kindness and a firm hand. But once civil authority is restored they return to their grapes. Despite dynastic and imperial pressures from outside, some regions struggle to maintain the right to elect their own lords (even if just in form) due to the historical influence of St. Denis's followers.

Monasteries elect their master upon the resignation of the previous. All masters will resign before they become incapacitated by age, as all masters are wise enough to know their limits. Of course the greatest of monks have no such limits. Masters of St. Denis are superb administrators due to practical experience dealing with disasters.

All monks of St. Denis will have at least one level in Monk. Thereafter they may typically have various NPC levels such as Commoner, Expert and Aristocrat.

Most "monks" at a monastery will have levels in Commoner, Expert, and/or Aristocrat. One in ten will have at least one actual monk level. Half of those will have two levels, etc. The largest monasteries will have at least one Sacred Fist (if possible; it may require 320 members) at a monastery, usually devoted to Ilmater. Rural monasteries will have a priest of Ilmater or similar god assigned.

Occasionally a former monk will find occupation as an advisor and bodyguard to a lord. It is not common but it happens often enough to be noteworthy.

And that, friends, is my limit for today.

*Jenever is made by distilling malt wine and flavoring it with juniper berries. It requires an enormous pot still, which while primitive to moderns would be considered an advanced alembic to medievals, so many monks have a few ranks in alchemy. Apple jack is freeze distilled but requires sufficiently cold weather. Both of these drinks are primitive and will require a save to avoid a nasty hangover if you over-indulge. "Know your limits."
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2015-04-07 at 11:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    That is generally considered the most sensible mindset with which to deal with a Drow
    Or, in the case of Gundahar, anyone that isn't his livestock or immediate family.

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

So... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Alauniira'a and Gundahar are the only PCs that have actually lived around Riverton for any real length of time, with Illimir here for a few weeks after looking at the ruins of his order's local monastery and Benevin and Drakeen just passing through?

I think an orc helping to run a tavern might be noteworthy enough for the locals to have talked about it. Or even if he is only half orc. Illimir leaves that as a mystery.

Illimir has no idea if there is a monastery in Mulbery, and in fact has only a vague idea of how to get back to his own monastery. It is rural and someplace up river. But he doubts he could find it on his own.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly, only passing. Drakeen has heard many things about all these towns, however, being a scholar and all

By the way, is Mulbery End on the East or West coast of the continent/world/island/whatever?

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    I think an orc helping to run a tavern might be noteworthy enough for the locals to have talked about it. Or even if he is only half orc. Illimir leaves that as a mystery.

Illimir has no idea if there is a monastery in Mulbery, and in fact has only a vague idea of how to get back to his own monastery. It is rural and someplace up river. But he doubts he could find it on his own.
    I'm fairly sure Alauniira'a would have seen Illimir during the week she's been a free drow. I'm thinking that they probably haven't spoken to each other much (except perhaps Alauniira'a buying food at the tavern he works at).

Only a week probably isn't enough time for her to have worked up the courage to try and be friends with the orc...

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

South-East coast. The river runs at an angle from north to south and west to east.
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hipho View Post
    South-East coast. The river runs at an angle from north to south and west to east.
    Illimir comes from someplace upstream, on a tributary. But which one? He passed many forks coming downstream, and is just smart enough to know he has no idea how to get back. Besides, the few villages he passed were very suspicious. Every time he and his master approached one, horsemen would ride out from a motte and bailey keep and demand to know what the strange carmine brothers were up to. Going back through that mess alone seems unwise.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Soooo...

We have Mulbery End by the Southeast coast, Riverton to the North(west), upstream, the Elven Forest to the North, with a Wizard's Academy to the West; and a ruined Monastery upstream, in one of the tributaries... what else?

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

A still intact convent near to Riverton (full of worshippers of Mystra instead of the Order of St Denis) and an underdark full of drow having a nice post-Llolth civil war. As you do

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gundahar's half intact farm to the north-west of Riverton, on the north side of the river
    Last edited by DarkSetzer; 2015-04-03 at 07:19 AM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

Isgard over to the northeast and Qutai farther north.
    Last edited by GM_3826; 2015-04-03 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wkwkwkwk1 View Post
    Soooo...

We have Mulbery End by the Southeast coast, Riverton to the North(west), upstream, the Elven Forest to the North, with a Wizard's Academy to the West; and a ruined Monastery upstream, in one of the tributaries... what else?
    The ruined monastery is neat Riverton, within a day's paddling upstream and then a clear walk from the river. Illimir is from a functioning monastery someplace much farther upstream, perhaps near the elves. It was several days boating downstream. Longer the other way. I should probably put a point in small boat skill.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2015-04-03 at 07:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

GnomeWizardGuy

Alright, last question before I make the IC thread. Do you want to meet eachother in game or have the game start with you gathered around the table having already met and decided to travel together?
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Meet in-game, please!!!

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Same here, meet in game. The elf wizard meeting the drow cleric should be fun :)