Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Heavy Roleplaying (IC)

Riverton is a pleasant decently-sized town. It's main source of income is the inn/tavern and the general store which see much business due to the town's position as a popular stopping point for traders heading to Mulbery End. The inn itself is situated on the river where it has a decent sized dock for the trade boats that come through.

Inside there is a couple hearths located on opposing walls with raised platforms around them. When the inn's dozen rooms get filled those platforms get used as a common room. In the center of the main room is an oval-shaped bar with a small dwarf-made cooking stove behind it in addition to the usual ales and liquors. The wall facing the dock holds the only entrance and the wall across from the entrance has a staircase leading up to the rooms and a bulletin board.

It's spring time, which means the river is starting to swell again with the winter melt from up north. There are a couple traders sitting at the bar who came in on a small boat. It's around noon or early afternoon.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heavy Roleplaying (IC)

The sound of a quarterstaff tapping lightly on the stone floor can barely be heard among the racket in the docks as an elegant Sun Elf female makes its way to the inn door. Her blond hair, flowing gently to the soft breeze, is well lit by the sun, high in the sky. She opens the door and steps inside, closing the door behind her. The light from the stove shines over her face, showing her soft features and blue eyes.

She glances around the inn, sweeping over its patrons. She eyes the tables and mentally picks one near the wall opposite to the merchants, not wanting to disturb their conversation. She walks up to the bar.

"A small glass of elven wine, if you will," she asks in a soft, silky voice, typical of sun elves. She sets a silver coin over the polished wooden counter.

"Do you have any free rooms?"

Spoiler: GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

A voice shouts down with a trace of a gutteral accent,

Whatever we have, it's clean.

A huge person squeezes down the stairs, dressed all in red: pants, shirt, shoes and broad-brimmed hat. The color is vibrant and a casual observer might mistake him for one of the merchants, but his clothes are loose-fitting and unadorned. His sleeves are rolled up to expose green arms like mossy tree trunks, and he carries a broom. He glances up at the owner as if to start an argument but apparently thinks better of it. Instead he gestures to doff his hat to the elf and says,

"They may not be free but they are clean."

He squints slightly as the brim of his hat exposes his black eyes, as if even this shaded light were painful, and he smiles in satisfaction of a job well done. His teeth do not all fit in his mouth, for he is clearly an orc.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Elf's features harden, remembering the tales of Corellion and Grummsh. She blinks, shaking her head.

Focus, Drakeen, the Elf thinks, Those are but tales. You know you have met friendly Orcs. Besides, he looks like those monks. They are usually nice.

"Good evening, my friend. Do you mean that your rooms are occupied, or simply that I have to pay for them?"

Show
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The orc looks confused for a moment before his face lights up with another smile. His finger indicates the aproned human trading news with the merchants.

"Ask the owner. I find myself less and less likely to do extra work for him and it's time to eat."

The human seems to take no notice of this, and so the orc sighs and writes some marks on a slate with a piece of chalk he keeps in his purse.

"FRNT LFT--ELF"

"Is over the street all right? It gets good morning sun and a nice view of the river. And I'll get you that wine; I tapped a barrel just last night. "
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The door to the inn bursts open, nearly falling off its hinges as a large, gangly man flings it open. He steps through the entrance and tosses his pack down next to the door, carefully leaning what appears to be a scythe against the wall and hanging a large straw hat on its blade. With a large grin on his face he strolls over the bar, leaning over to rest on the counter. "Howdy folks, I'm hankerin' for pint of your finest, if you could." He pauses to give the room a quick glance, "Well, I'll be darned if this place don't look snug as a bug. Mayhap I'll take a room too."

He takes note of the orc, and scratches his head with an over-exaggerated gesture, "Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, you dang look like you fell out of the ugly tree and hit darn near every branch on the way down. What one of y'all doin' here?" He gives the orc a criticizing glance, before busting out in laughter, "Oh who am I' kiddin. I don't mean to bust your britches. Ain't none of my beeswax what your doin', s'long as it ain't hurtin' no one."

Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

Ivridda Stonefinder, cartographer and diviner
    Rhovarax "Paxan" Beerbelly, world class tavern brawler
    Gundahar, simple farmer gone berserk

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alauniira'a's entrance was a far less... exciting... affair than Gundahar's had been. She was rather less blessed with bulk and strength than he was, plus she was actually *trying* to be quiet(ish) as she came in. Not silent, exactly. She just thought it would have been rude to make a commotion on entering.

(Also it would have increased the chances of someone trying to return her to the convent...)

Like those before her, she was aiming for the bar - but once through the door, she immediately froze.

...Darthirii...

Well, that wasn't what she'd been hoping for. It was blocking the bar, too! Glancing around, she noticed the two hearths were still free of people. Mentally cursing that she'd have to leave her 'blindfold' on, the Drow made her way to one of the fires. She'd grab a chair that gave her a decent peripheral view of the bar, and wait for the elf to leave...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Sun Elf is, at first, shaken by the man's entry. Then she realizes he probably means no harm. She still decides to keep her distances.

But when the Drow comes in...

Her features harden considerably. Drow. The Elves' evil kin. Best left underground. Her eyes narrow down to a slit, scrutinizing the Drow's every movement. Uncounsciously, her hand moves towards her coponent pouch...

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The orc returns with a handsome wooden tray of polished dark hardwood. On it are two ornamented cups made of pieces of clear cut glass set in a silver cup-shaped frame. A simple glass carafe of good quality holds a fine, clear red wine. He places the tray down before the elf and seats himself.

"Do you know the dark woman?" he asks, nodding towards the drow.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2015-04-08 at 12:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Startled by the orc's sudden arrival, the Sun Elf jumps in her seat, her heart pounding.

Great. First, an Orc. Then, a crazy Human. And now, a Drow. At least the Orc seems pretty peaceful...

She takes her wine, keeping a hand close to her pouch.

"No, I dont know her from anywhere. Do you?"

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The orc pours a bit of wine into the elf's cup.

"Try this," he says, indicating the cup.

He ponders the woman for a moment.

"She has been here for a short time. She has not caused any trouble, and I don't think she will. She also seems to be avoiding you, which seems suspicious but also means she is maybe also avoiding trouble, I think."

"But try the wine; it's on me, if you don't mind sparing me a little of your time."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gundahar, wary of the orcs presence, hardly notices the drow enter. His focus was on the orc, watching his movments. Gundahar chuckled a little as he watched the large "man" sit down and pour what looked like an elf some wine. He leaned over the bar further, and gave an exaggerated wave at the orc, "Hey there big fella! You work here?!" He clutched his stomach as he let out a hearty laugh, "OH! Mighty sorry... I shouldn't be so rude. But if you aren't mindin', might could you pour me a glass of that too?"

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The orc appears vexed for a moment, then shrugs and calls over one of the girls and proceeds to animatedly explain the art of properly rinsing a pitcher. But when he realizes that "the barrel with the elven writing" means nothing to a girl who cannot spell her own name, he resigns himself to the task.

Filling the other fancy cup, he hands it over to the farmer.
    "Careful, now. This is not the beer that Garth brews by accident in his basement, but a fine elven vintage. Drink it slow. Savor it."
    He then marches off with the empty carafe, saying "In the meantime I will soon be back with the prize. Please enjoy yourselves."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank ye kindly," ignoring the orcs warning entirely Gundahar takes the glass in his meaty, calloused hand, and downs the wine in one large gulp, "Hooooey, that's granny slappin' good! Hey, elf, you folk always make wine this good?"
    Last edited by DarkSetzer; 2015-04-08 at 04:29 PM.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The Elf takes the cup, trying her best to ignore the Drow, and takes a sip. She licks her lips and raises the glass to the light.

"Hmmmm... A vintage, with a flavour unlike most... this is probably a wine from before I was born, I tell you. Enjoy it, for only the gods know when we will see a vintage like this again! Thank you, my friend... what is your name?" she asks the Orc.

She turns to the Human, smiling, "Yes, my friend. Our wine is known to be the best in all lands, but this particular one is... special, I must say. Again, enjoy it!"
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2015-04-08 at 04:54 PM.

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmmm... Mayhap I'll have to visit me some elven lands. Try me some more wine. It's almost as good as what my granpappy used to make out back in the shed." Once again the large me let out a roaring laugh, but abruptly stopped and look as though he had an epiphany, "Hey now, don't reckon you might could want to run your own vinyard?"

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The orc returns with a small barrel on his shoulder and more cups in hand. Setting it down, he fingers the Elven writing stamped into the wood.

This one belonged to my order, though it was clearly made by elves. Though which ones I can't read. I was hoping to sell it, but last night I got... impatient and decided to try it. I'm glad I did, for I've never tasted anything like it. It gives one a, hm..., 'a sense of perspective'.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gundahar smiles "Can't right argue with more. But I'll be darned if I ever done shared a drink with an orc. Used to be I only ever seen y'all when y'all done try to take down my farm... Well, what done used to be my farm. But, don't differ to me now. Y'all seem nice enough for one of them. So if you ain't minding, I'd fancy to sit with y'all. No fun drinking alone."

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Though I would love nothing more than enjoying a good elven drink, my finances are not in their best state. In fact, I doubt I can even rent a room, let alone buy some of that wine..."

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Doesn't matter; the keg is tapped and it is my duty to drink it. But I will need help in this task!

My name is Illimir. That is the name my brothers gave me when I joined our order. I came down river by canoe with Brother Kells to examine the ruins of our monastery near here, but we stumbled upon some river pirates. We drove them off--they took our canoe and supplies--but Kells was killed and I was not much better off. Garth, who owns this place, put me to work in return for a place to stay while I recovered. I've improved his beer, but after paying his other workers he has nothing left for me. In truth, I don't even know the way home. It's a hidden monastery somewhere upstream, off one of the many muddy little tributaries. It was deep and overgrown with great overhanging trees, and even if you picked the right one there is no easy sign from shore. So I have been asking everyone who comes through if they know how to find the hidden monastery fortress of St. Denis somewhere up north. In truth I don't think anyone will. Strangers never visited it for any reason I can remember. This town was the first one I have ever seen, as are these merchants, and took some getting used to. But people are mostly the same all over, if you give them a chance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Heavy Roleplaying (IC)

'Hooooey! Now you wait here just a second mister...Ill-li-mir. Y'all tellin' me that you're a priestly monk type? Like one of them sit and do that what-cha-ma-callit... Mediate? All day kind of guys? YOU!? In all my born days, I ain't seen such a thing." Gundahar looks visibly confused, as if his brain was trying to think but simply wouldn't work, "Dad burn it... Hold your potato, let me get this straight. A green skin like you done gone up and joined up with priestly types? On purpose? Then you done ended up in this one horse town, stranded with no way home? Well gosh darn that just ain't right."

He took a sip of beer and shook his head, "Can't say I know where you're lookin' for though. Still tryin' to wrap my head 'round the idea of a greenskin like you bein' all nice like. Then again, only ever did see others like you once 'afore. They done tried to take my farm. Miss betsy didn't much care for that. But I showed them a thing or two 'bout us farmer folk."

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

There was a time when I thought of elves and men as murderous rivals with orcs in a contest that no one could ever win. A contest in which everyone suffered. I was right, as it happens, but my brothers showed me that you can do not have to play that sport. That when people work together they can build a society instead of tearing it down.

But now, what is it you say? Orcs attacked your farm?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh yeah! T'wernt nothin' though. Happened what, maybe 10 years ago? Somethin' like that. Pesky greenskins showed up at my farm, done tried to steal Betsy and Joe. But Betsy wasn't havin' none of that, done kicked one of 'em square in the jaw. Saw the whole thing from my porch, so I done got up and grabbed my sword. Scared 'em off. Were only 2 of 'em anyways."

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Hah! I think they must have chosen the wrong line of work. I would hope they found better luck hunting deer, but if you can't hunt a cow...

Sadly, I remember such hooligans from when I was young. Heroic tales were told of great cattle raids, and no one thought there was anything wrong with it. Stupid young orcs would form a war party and head out to cause trouble. Stealing cattle and worse. Sometimes they came back and were cheered. Sometimes they did not come back. And sometimes they came back with angry men or elves on their heels and we would remember that there were consequences.

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGuy

The door quietly opens as a moon elf slips through the door. Glances at the room sees the sun elf and drow first. Niomi moves over to the middle of the drow and sun elf. Noticing the drow is alone as the sun elf getting attention at the bar.
    Niomi, going unnoticed between the two elves opens her mouth and says in a soft and calming voice"So a Sun Elf, a Drow, and a Moon Elf walk into a bar." Loud enough for the elves to hear it.
    Her long silvery white hair goes over her front and back of her body as she takes a seat and her eyes blue with golden flecks in them shinning from the fire. "Id love some water as alcohol slows the body and mind."
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alauniira'a's reply was rather quieter. And in undercommon, a language that none of the others present spoke. "Nin gaer zhah draa d'mina. Usstan shlubnaut ajak mithuthen wanune, jhal Usstan tlu'kyo'feir inbal..." Just because she was muttering to herself didn't mean she needed to take chances with someone else understanding the words.

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    "Now there is two of them. I cannot remember sinning recently, but I clearly have..."

Luckily the news wasn't all bad. The new elf seemed to have gone towards the bar for service, which meant that, for the moment, Alauniira'a still wasn't required to be sociable. Just as well, really. Even if the Elves weren't holding grudges for past slights, she doubted she could have trusted herself to speak with them civilly...

Still, she wished the elves would get a move on at the bar. She wasn't going to get to place her order until they stopped camping around the Orc who was serving people...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good evening, my fellow elf! May I ask you where you come from? We have been sharing stories of our past."

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGuy

She looks at the sun elf and says, "My past you say? I was thrown out of my home by my family. I was part of the royal Shengee family. Don't know if you have ever heard of it, they worshiped the moon and I did to a point. I wanted more, I wanted adventure, fame, glory, money, power of my own. But hey beggars can't be choosers, so I took my skills honed them down and I work with what I got."
    She looks at the drow mumbling to herself, "Sweety, are you going to join the party or be in the dark forever? No pun intended. I stepped out of the moon, your out of the dark, but yet the sun elf still in the sun."
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alauniira'a takes a moment to pointedly glance between the bar (where the others were) and the fire (where she was). By the time she glanced back towards the bar, the resulting grimace from having looked at the fire was plain to see on her face, despite the cloth wrapped across her eyes.

Common: "I like the dark." The tone was decidedly cool. Although, to be fair to her, not attempting physical assault made this one of the most cordial conversations between a Drow and a Surface Elf in generations.

30. - Top - End - #30

NinjaGuy

Niomi smirks, "I like the dark too, I can go about unseen and do things without anyone knowing. But you see, we are trying to be friendly and as much as I don't like other elves not of the moon variety... I am willing to be apart of something new and greater. So join the party love, your first round is on me."
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]