New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Exclamation The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

-
    In the ancient misty era of ten years ago, there was a project to make a sequel to Tome of Battle that expanded its world and collected the great TOB homebrews that have been made.

It seems to have never been finished so I’m doing that now. Most of the important work has been done already by the homebrewers and the people in the original thread who collated their work.

The result will be a PDF doc that reads like an actual, if fanmade, sourcebook. I’ll make sure it doesn’t look too ugly.

While I’ll follow through with this even on my own, and will update this thread accordingly, the end product will be seriously improved if other people care to pitch in.

Spoiler: Age of Warriors resources
    Show

If you want to help, look at the next post.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-04-24 at 03:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Task Board

-
    How You Can Contribute

This is a list of things that still need to be done. Anyone is free to tackle them.

Updated Feb 2021

Slowly finalizing the PDF docs for this project.

1. A great way to help would be by making discipline legacy weapons. These are the ones we still need.

- Bloodstained Gutter legacy weapon. A prison shiv (improvised weapon).
    - Dancing Leaf legacy weapon. Possibilities include quarterstaff, rapier, elven thinblade. Should have defensive abilities.
    - Oncoming Storm legacy weapon. This is the discipline for rogue and swashbuckler style fighting. A swashbuckler's cutlass or duelist's foil.

Legacy weapon format
    Legacy weapon abilities cheat sheet (these are just guidelines)

- Suggest names for a shield-based discipline.

---------------

If you don't want to make new content, contribute by PEACHing already posted content. You can use the "age of warriors" tag to find relevant threads I've posted.

If you want to post feedback for a necro thread, just post it here with a link to the original thread. (Or if I started the thread, PM me to bump it.)

---------------

Gdocs templates for AOW content

You can use these for content you contribute.
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-02-04 at 02:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Table of Contents for the Book

Table of Contents for “The Age of Warriors”

Introduction
    1: New Base Classes
    2: Existing Classes
    3: Feats
    4: New Disciplines
    5: Prestige Classes
    6: Legacy Weapons
    7: Magic Items
    8: Monsters
    9: The World of Nine Swords

Errata and FAQ for TOB: Bo9S

Credits
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-04-24 at 02:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Disciplines

-
    DISCIPLINES!

We'll use The Demented One’s method of learning new disciplines — you don’t have to give up one of your known schools in exchange. After all you’re already limited by maneuvers known and maneuver prereqs.

---------------------------

Update 2020:

Discipline Directory < Look here for the current versions of each disc

The above link has the current version of each discipline. It's a WIP and almost all the disciplines are in various states of incompletion.

---------------------------

Massive shoutout to The Demented One, sirpercival, ErrantX, Xefas, Edge, and the others who wrote these.

ACCEPTED
    These need QA

Spoiler
    Show
    Army of One - Fight many oppos
    Black Rain - Guns
    Bloodstained Gutter - Streetfighting
    Broken Blade - Fight other martial adepts
    Chthonic Serpent - Whips n trips
    Coin's Edge - Luck
    Cosmic Imperator
    Dancing Leaf - Evasive fighting
    Event Horizon - Gravity
    Falling Star - Archery
    Fool's Grip - Improvised weapons
    Lightning Fox
    Narrow Bridge
    Ocean Soul
    Oncoming Storm - Kind of dull
    Penitent Martyr
    Relentless Dusk (combined with parts of Void Messiah)
    Scarlet Bravura
    Sleeping Goddess
    Soothed Beast - complete & QA
    Sublime Tapestry - Meta discipline
    Twin Spirit - Mounted
    Venerable Battlefield - For gods
    Witch Razor - Occult
    Wyrm's Might - Dragon

—Planar Disciplines—
    Far Realm - Far Realm
    Infinite Torment - Abyssal
    Golden Saint - Exalted; nonlethal
    Kaleidoscopic Dream - Limbo
    Ninefold Damnation - Diabolic
    Stygian Nightmare - Hades, Gehenna
    Quicksilver Aegis - Mechanus, law

—Epic Disciplines— (rules for them by The Demented One)
    Celestial Impetus
    Devouring Crypt
    Dread Crown (remake as Epic Discipline)
    Invincible Sword Princess
    March of Aeons
    Rainbow's End
    Shattered Glass

—Lighthearted Disciplines—
    Falling Anvil
    Carnal Blossom
    Edge Country Hurricane
    Hero's Edge

—Machinist Disciplines—
    Akasha's Timepiece
    Crystalline Optics
    Entropy Dynamo or Entropy Flux
    Experimental Alchemy

MAYBE
    Which of these should be included? - Opinions please

Spoiler
    Show
    Anima River
    Mental Grip - Telekinesis.
    Throne Shadow (rename) - revise&complete

—Poet (sublime bard) disciplines— these need serious work
    Divine Muse
    Infinite Shore - Dreams

OVERLAPPING DISCIPLINES

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-07-09 at 07:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Base Classes

Base Classes

Animist (TOB Ranger)

Machinist (needs reworking)

Poet (TOB Bard)

Warlord (TOB Marshal/4e Warlord)

Preexisting Classes

Soulborn

Swashbuckler

Martial ACFs for Core classes [WIP]

Binder - two new vestiges: Reshar, Lord of the Nine Swords and Kaziir-Thet, Stealer of Clarity.

Epic Progression for Crusader, Swordsage and Warblade
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-05-27 at 12:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Legacy Weapons

Discipline Weapons

Legacy weapon user costs getting removed obviously.

For building these swords, not going to be constrained by the crappy WOL list of possible abilities.

Spoiler: legacy weps
    Show
    Army of One - One Man Stand, animated shield.
    Black Rain - Jude's Jurisprudence, revolver and Outlaw's Equalizer, shotgun
    Bloodstained Gutter - Famous Prison Shiv
    Broken Blade - Swordbane, a swordbreaker that can rust magic weapons. It destroyed the Sublime Tapestry sword.
    Chthonic Serpent - Venomchain
    Coin’s Edge - Possibility, the Original Luckblade
    Cosmic Imperator - The Ego Scepter
    Dancing Leaf -
    Event Horizon - Swandemure, the Sword of Lightness [light] and Weightthrust, the Gravity Spear [heavy]
    Hero's Edge - Laserbeam Ultrasword, katana
    Falling Anvil - Frying Pan of Doom, Vlax’s Rubber Chicken
    Falling Star - Longbow (seeking)
    Fool’s Grip - The Universal Weapon
    [Mass archery discipline] -
    Narrow Bridge - Scales of Balance, quarterstaff, updated from WoL like Desert Wind was.
    Ocean Soul - Coral’s Bite, trident, also updated from WoL, and Ocean's Fury, khopesh
    Penitent Martyr - Remorse, flail
    Phoenix Feather - Magic elven longbow [force + probably splitting]
    Relentless Dusk - Camonglane, Mace of Oblivion
    Scarlet Bravura - Blood Promise and Nematryon, the Leader’s Dare
    Sublime Tapestry - The Hilt (the blade was destroyed by Swordbane). (Just looked, what a great coincidence: “Alone, it is an incomplete style, like a sword hilt without the blade.” )
    Twin Spirit - Heartfallen, lance
    Venerable Battlefield - The Godsword, fullblade
    Witch Razor -

—Planar Disciplines—
    The weapons of the planar disciplines weren’t made by normal means, but rather were pulled out of the essence of their plane by powerful outsiders in ages past.

Infinite Torment - “Flamescourge" or something dramatic like that
    Golden Saint - The Sword of Love, aurorum greatsword
    Kaleidoscopic Dream - Anzriposte, meteor hammer
    Ninefold Damnation - cornugon spiked chain or a pitchfork [axiomatic, unholy, flaming]
    Far Realm - The World Wound
    Stygian Nightmare - a scythe [stygian]
    Quicksilver Aegis - The Quicksilver Aegis, defensive item which turns you into a being of liquid mercury, and the Axiom Axe.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-04-24 at 02:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Elves; 2020-05-27 at 12:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

[reserved for anything else.]

Last notes:

- Yes, this is about a splatbook from 13 years ago that will never again be relevant.

- Next update in a couple days.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-03-09 at 11:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I am very happy that this is being revived (as can probably be guessed from my signature). Slight egotistical question: The original Age of Warriors listed my Narrow Bridge discipline as a possibility. Is there a reason you haven't listed it anywhere?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Nice to see this one back!

I actually do have two I could add - I always meant to follow this up with you, but ... didn't. :)

The first one is already mentioned under the already-accepted Chthonic Serpent discipline, which you could bring out into the Monster section if you wanted - the Dorokusai (Greater Chain Demon). It only uses maneuvers from the Chthonic Serpent discipline and ToB.

The second one is an orphan from years and years back, but it's a PrC I made for this enterprise: the Brother of the Diamond Tusk, a mounted PrC; the concept is essentially Dwarven Boar Cavalry. (I have to reformat the tables to new forum script, that's how old it is ;) )

Brother of the Diamond Tusk is mostly-compatible in that it uses ToB and the accepted Army of One discipline, but the only part that might be contingent or need some reworking is the fact it has the option to pull maneuvers from the Twin Spirit school, which I see you're still considering. Obviously I have a conflict of interest, but I'd love to see Twin Spirit go in. It's a wonderful niche discipline in that nothing else to my mind replicates, and the idea of a semi-mystic mounted combat adept is just great. I'd be willing to go in and see if I can rework the discipline if it's a matter of making it a bit more interesting.

In addition, and on a related note: another mounted PrC that uses Twin Spirit is Krimm's Eaglewing Striker which I used as a major template to build the Brother of the Diamond Tusk. I don't see that one mentioned, but, again, announcing my conflict of interest, I'd love to see this one in here as well. They could be a nice and very specific pair of PrCs for Twin Spirit.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    The original Age of Warriors listed my Narrow Bridge discipline as a possibility. Is there a reason you haven't listed it anywhere?
    I did read that one, it's evocative. Added. Would you mind it being swordsage-only? It's another way to differentiate it from the other death disciplines, and I don't think crusaders (or warblades) would be into its nuanced and monastic nature.

Oh, hey Saintheart. I was a fan of your RHOD handbook back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I always meant to follow this up with you, but ... didn't. :)
    FYI, I was *not* on the original team for this. My much younger self read it though, and just now coming back I realized it was never finished.

Hence, please don't hesitate to question my decisions, I'm only here so that it gets done.

Dwarves riding giant boars is a kind of terrifying image if you imagine all the enraged oinking and screaming. Added.

Moved Twin Spirit to included, we do need a mount discipline, though I think it's bland in parts, with only a few maneuvers fulfilling the title concept.

Re Eaglewing Striker. I felt it wasn't centered on the Sublime Way enough, since the eagle is the centerpiece.

Second, concept didn't really do it for me as giant eagles a) seem over-specific yet not specific enough and b) should really only be able to carry someone in their claws. These two are fluff though; could change the steed to something more overtly magical and connected to the Sublime Way -- a ziz or a new creature. Or generalize it for any flying mount.

(Just to explain more, I'd like for the PRCs here to not just be using Tome of Battle's mechanics to describe old archetypes, but rather to invent new concepts that are bound specifically to the Sublime Way.)
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-02-19 at 07:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Yeah, I read that one, it's evocative. Added. Would you mind it being swordsage-only? It's another way to differentiate it from the other death disciplines, and I don't think crusaders (or warblades) would be into its nuanced and monastic nature.
    That's a valid point. I'd be perfectly ok with that restriction. We may also want to consider for the project renaming my Broken Blade discipline since Pathfinder's Path of War made a discipline by that name, and so renaming it may help reduce confusion.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

OH GOD THAT WAS SEVEN YEARS AGO I'M SO OLD.
    (Ugh.)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd be in for this, though my homebrew talent is untried. I could get the Epic parts up and running, since I'm more familiar with that. Should we include some of BelGarath's and other's Epic Destinies? Krim's feats? We should have a sepreat section for that material, if included, since it's... Specialized.

Also, Fully support the removing of penalties for legacy weapons, but archery needs more support than one disipline.
    This might help: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ng-ToB-archery

Edit: I'll dig up links for epic later.
    Last edited by JMS; 2019-02-18 at 12:14 PM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

We may also want to consider for the project renaming my Broken Blade discipline since Pathfinder's Path of War made a discipline by that name, and so renaming it may help reduce confusion.
    Thanks for alerting me to that book since it looks like ErrantX wrote for it and they used Silver Crane. They also used Sleeping Goddess, but I don't know if that was with Demented One's permission since his sig says he's fine with his homebrew being used in anything.

Fortunately, both of those were on the "iffy" list.

Since they didn't actually use your discipline, I personally don't think it's a problem that the names coincide, especially as it's a better fit for yours. Alternative names: Culpable Hand, Honor Kept, Lightning Duel, Blade Lock - none of those are as good.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I'd be in for this...
    Help with the epic parts would be great. There are the two discipline conversions for example, most importantly Dread Crown.

Here are the relevant Epic Destinies from this thread if you want to look through them. I will later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-02-18 at 02:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

This looks like a really cool project.

I personally really like the Dancing Leaf Discipline. I haven't read through all of the Disciplines on the Maybe list, but Event Horizon and Hero's Edge both look like fun, and I definitely like the flavor of Dancing Goddess

For when you're ready to deal with the feats section, I made one that I don't think is on any compiled list.
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2019-02-18 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Accidentally pressed submit before I was finished

18. - Top - End - #18

SamuraiGuy

Thanks for alerting me to that book since it looks like ErrantX wrote for it and they used Silver Crane. They also used Sleeping Goddess, but I don't know if that was with Demented One's permission since his sig says he's fine with his homebrew being used in anything.

Help with the epic parts would be great. There are the two discipline conversions for example, most importantly Dread Crown.

Here are the relevant Epic Destinies from this thread if you want to look through them. I will later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’ll look through the Epic stuff later, but if I recall, it’s mostly good. For PoW, we need a decision on disciplines in there, and what to do for stuff like Sleeping Goddess, which isn’t an exact copy, IIRC.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

For PoW, we need a decision on disciplines in there, and what to do for stuff like Sleeping Goddess, which isn’t an exact copy, IIRC.
    The only 3 overlapping disciplines are Silver Heron, Iron Tortoise and Sleeping Goddess.

Heron and Tortoise obviously nixed, since it's Errant publishing his homebrew and would be redundant anyways.

Tortoise is unfortunate, have to either start from scratch on or bin the warblade tank discipline.

Losing Heron is no issue as there's Golden Saint to fill the celestial role.

Sleeping Goddess is only off limits if Demented got paid for it, I'll PM Errant though he's been gone since '17. Wouldn't be huge loss, like my note for it said I want to keep sublime way separate from psi and it overlapped with Diamond Mind thematically.

POW's take on ranger is not bad although AOW's ranger shouldn't have mentions of ki. Also, anyone who plays a class called stalker that learns the Stalker Arts is asking for some jokes.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-02-18 at 11:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGuy

The only 3 overlapping disciplines are Silver Heron, Iron Tortoise and Sleeping Goddess.

Heron and Tortoise obviously nixed, since it's Errant publishing his homebrew and would be redundant anyways.

Tortoise is unfortunate, have to either start from scratch on or bin the warblade tank discipline.

Losing Heron is no issue as there's Golden Saint to fill the celestial role.
    There are a few more that are a name swap of difference, I built a Jade Throne specialist, which mirrors Scarlet Throne, others I can’t recall without some time at the list of disciplines.

Also, Warrior’s way has the wildheart, made a sublime Barb/Ranger
    Game I am in:

21. - Top - End - #21

By the way, you should probably take my Bloodstained Gutter off the discipline list. IT was a nice idea, but it never got above level 4 and I still have no idea how to finish it.

Should martial soulknives be a thing? I occasionally try to make them, but it always comes down to me to soulknife just being too narrow a thing to build an entire class around. It seems like one class feature, not an entire class.

Have you considered making a psychic discipline based on soulknives perhaps? Or a prestige class (requirements: diamond blade, one psychic discipline)? A feat chain?

Same for Bard, really. White Raven already covers most of what I'd feel a martial bard would do.

Also, Dancing Leaf should absolutely be on there. I love that discipline and I've used it before on characters.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2019-02-19 at 04:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

carnal blossom discipline link not working
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

23. - Top - End - #23

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    By the way, you should probably take my Bloodstained Gutter off the discipline list. IT was a nice idea, but it never got above level 4 and I still have no idea how to finish it.

Should martial soulknives be a thing? I occasionally try to make them, but it always comes down to me to soulknife just being too narrow a thing to build an entire class around. It seems like one class feature, not an entire class.

Have you considered making a psychic discipline based on soulknives perhaps? Or a prestige class (requirements: diamond blade, one psychic discipline)? A feat chain?

Same for Bard, really. White Raven already covers most of what I'd feel a martial bard would do.

Also, Dancing Leaf should absolutely be on there. I love that discipline and I've used it before on characters.
    Here is a piece of work by Lix Lorn for a Psionic discipline, + Soul Knife replacer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...tEOD4_JaE/edit

For Bard, Song of the White raven works very well.
    Game I am in:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Twin Dragon Chord Technique!

Or what if it were reliant on pre-combat buffing? People would gain buffs by reading their poetry or hearing them perform (maybe the buff could be access to martial maneuvers themselves?). This makes a lot of sense to me, flavorwise but also mechanically in terms of the support character giving their teammates access to extra abilities, not just flat bonuses.

Edit: if it were epic poetry, the buff could be because people take on aspects of the heroic warriors the tale describes. There could even be two categories of buff, narrative and lyrical (and instrumental?).

What I’d like for the AOW bard is a class who is actually a bard, rather than a melee fighter. For example, Demented One’s Warrior-Poet is about seeing “the poetry of battle”, which IMO is not a distinct enough premise especially when swordsages are already noted to be artsy.

Plus I’d like to show the idea that the Sublime Way can be used for other things than combat — while still not confusing it with magic — and this seems good for that, especially since poetry is already linked to the “sublime”.

I like the name Poet for this class because it's a more specific version of Bard, same as Paladin>Crusader. And you can differentiate them with a fun kind of enmity -- "pfah, bards are common performers, not true poets", etc.

----------

Soulknife, I did like the concept of them conjuring the Nine Swords as their mindblades, again because it lets those swords get put in a campaign without the story having to revolve around them.

But you're frankly right that this is overspecific. It would be better as a PRC for which you take a 1 level soulknife dip. Vorpal Cog looks cool too.

This only leaves the question of the TOB ranger.

Bloodstained Gutter
    The concept (and name) are great though. I can take a stab at finishing it, if nothing else it can be included in a “fledgling disciplines” section.

Dancing Leaf
    Added

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    carnal blossom discipline link not working
    Google cache
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-02-19 at 07:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, regarding the need to build a Knight of the Word PrC, I'd be happy to do so if people didn't mind that instead of standard truenaming it used Kellus's Way Words Work system (which is much better than the standard truenamer which is worth at least 2.5 headaches).
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be awesome.

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

Also, regarding the need to build a Knight of the Word PrC, I'd be happy to do so if people didn't mind that instead of standard truenaming it used Kellus's Way Words Work system (which is much better than the standard truenamer which is worth at least 2.5 headaches).
    I’d be partial to using Kyudo’s (I think) Book of Words, which has the advantage of back porting to ToM with little work, maybe with a Kellus conversion? I just feel that requiring a new system (Kellus only keeps fluff.) is a bit much.
    Game I am in:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I’d be partial to using Kyudo’s (I think) Book of Words, which has the advantage of back porting to ToM with little work, maybe with a Kellus conversion? I just feel that requiring a new system (Kellus only keeps fluff.) is a bit much.
    Yeah, that's a reasonable point. I'll see if I can review his version enough to feel comfortable homebrewing with it. (Also for anyone else reading this, the user name is Kyeudo and the fix can be found here).

Edit: Actually the link in that thread to the PDF appears to be broken. I have a saved copy but I don't know any easy link to the rules. If someone else can find a copy online we can point to, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm hesitant to homebrew for something using a homebrew set of rules which aren't actually available to most people.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2019-02-19 at 09:00 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

it's on scribd at least

You're the one volunteering, it's up to you.

This is pretty much what sidebars are for though, and converting a PRC is like 3 abilities.

I personally prefer the Kellus system. But again it's easy to sidebar-convert.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-02-19 at 09:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Twin Dragon Chord Technique!

Or what if it were reliant on pre-combat buffing? People would gain buffs by reading their poetry or hearing them perform (maybe the buff could be access to martial maneuvers themselves?). This makes a lot of sense to me, flavorwise but also mechanically in terms of the support character giving their teammates access to extra abilities, not just flat bonuses.

Edit: if it were epic poetry, the buff could be because people take on aspects of the heroic warriors the tale describes. There could even be two categories of buff, narrative and lyrical (and instrumental?).

What I’d like for the AOW bard is a class who is actually a bard, rather than a melee fighter. For example, Demented One’s Warrior-Poet is about seeing “the poetry of battle”, which IMO is not a distinct enough premise especially when swordsages are already noted to be artsy.

Plus I’d like to show the idea that the Sublime Way can be used for other things than combat — while still not confusing it with magic — and this seems good for that, especially since poetry is already linked to the “sublime”.

I like the name Poet for this class because it's a more specific version of Bard, same as Paladin>Crusader. And you can differentiate them with a fun kind of enmity -- "pfah, bards are common performers, not true poets", etc.
    I mean, that is a great idea, and I'd love to see it, but I see two massive problems with it.

a) How do you fit pre-combat buffs into the paradigm of stances and strikes? This seems the wrong mechanical framework for that kind of class.
    b) If the poet's main power is pre-combat buffing, what do they do during combat? As much as I like out of combat utility and roleplaying scenes, one can't deny that combat often takes out significant amounts of time in any given session. And if you have an hour or even just half an hour of combat, the player needs something to do in that time, other than watching their companions be awesome with their buffs.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2019-02-20 at 08:43 AM.