New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by SunderedWorldDM View Post
    R1197
    Well, here's some ideas:
    -A Medicine check to determine approximately how many hit points an enemy is at, separate check to know approximate maximum
    -Medicine checks to determine cause of death (more useful in some campaigns than others, but still useful)
    -As an action, a DC 15 Medicine check to heal 1d4 Hit Points, and you cannot use this ability on the same target until they suffer another injury. Useful in lower levels, but not overpowered. Maybe a similar thing for HD is possible?
    -One could make a Medicine check to make checks about the weaknesses, resistances, strengths and powers of a creature, as opposed to Nature or Arcana.

I think with even this list and these optional rules Medicine becomes a force to reckon with, especially becoming key during combat and while researching enemies. Maybe this wasn't that angle you had in mind, though?
    Those are fine, the problem is comparing the cost to the DC to the Reward.

Let's say I'm determining what information a player gets from a Medicine check. Skipping the part where it may or may not be an action, what's the DC? Does it scale with the enemy level? How much information do I divulge based off of what the player rolled? Do I just guess a random number if they guessed off? Do I tell them how sure they are? If I tell them they are sure, and they know the formula, does that mean they guessed the level of the target? Do I just include that in the information I provide? Or does the level of the target not matter? Just throwing some numbers out and hope it makes sense and is balanced compared to other features is something that can be done, but I'm looking for a bit stricter of an analysis. Something that has a somewhat fleshed out list of DCs-to-Rewards so that there's a little more of a frame of reference to use.

Because right now, if I made a DC 10-20 Medicine check, I can't help but append "-I guess" to any of my sentences.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Those are fine, the problem is comparing the cost to the DC to the Reward.

Let's say I'm determining what information a player gets from a Medicine check. Skipping the part where it may or may not be an action, what's the DC? Does it scale with the enemy level? How much information do I divulge based off of what the player rolled? Do I just guess a random number if they guessed off? Do I tell them how sure they are? If I tell them they are sure, and they know the formula, does that mean they guessed the level of the target? Do I just include that in the information I provide? Or does the level of the target not matter? Just throwing some numbers out and hope it makes sense and is balanced compared to other features is something that can be done, but I'm looking for a bit stricter of an analysis. Something that has a somewhat fleshed out list of DCs-to-Rewards so that there's a little more of a frame of reference to use.

Because right now, if I made a DC 10-20 Medicine check, I can't help but append "-I guess" to any of my sentences.
    I can understand those concerns. Let me try and add some more structure to this system.

Will you be using this as a player or as a DM, because if you're going to be playing it, I'll have to approach uncertainty differently (as you'll know when you're wrong by how much you rolled)...
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by SunderedWorldDM View Post
    I can understand those concerns. Let me try and add some more structure to this system.

Will you be using this as a player or as a DM, because if you're going to be playing it, I'll have to approach uncertainty differently (as you'll know when you're wrong by how much you rolled)...
    As a DM, mostly. I can't say I wouldn't try to use it for inspiration for my current DM, though. He might like it enough to use it too. Thanks for your help on this.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    As a DM, mostly. I can't say I wouldn't try to use it for inspiration for my current DM, though. He might like it enough to use it too. Thanks for your help on this.
    Of course! Give me a moment and I can get something together.
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2018-10-10 at 09:50 AM.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

5. - Top - End - #245

R1197

Okay, here's a rough outline. Hasn't been playtested, but it looks balanced enough...

To determine HP…
    Takes an action to appraise an enemy and how injures they look. Make a Medicine check, DC and information given based off of the tables below. You can make the check to determine a creature’s maximum HP or their current HP. You would have to take this action to know the HP of your allies as well, but appraising an ally is only a bonus action.

DC~ CR/Level
    10~ 0-5
    15~ 6-10
    20~ 11-15
    25~ 16-20
    Impossible~ 21+

Level of success/failure~ Effect
    Failure by 6 or more~ False information! Spew out a random number, the more they failed the more confidently you say it and the wronger it is.
    Failure by 1-5~ No information given
    Success by up to 5~ You know HP to 100s place
    Success by 5 to 10~ You know HP to 10s place
    Success by 11 or more~ You know the precise HP

Cause of Death…
    Make a Medicine check to determine a creature’s cause of death. Handle as you would a Perception or Arcana check.

Healing…
    As an action, using a Healer’s Kit or Herbalism Kit, you can make a DC 15 Medicine check to heal an ally 1d4 hit points or to stabilize them if they are dying. You cannot heal the same target again until they suffer more damage (to avoid spam-healing).

Determining weakness…
    As an action, you can make a Medicine roll to determine a creature’s weaknesses and resistances. The DC of the check is the same as that of appraising HP (more powerful creatures are less common, and there’s not as much known about them). If you spend an hour or more on research, you have advantage on the check. On a success, you gain a bit of information, as determined by the chart below.

Level of success/failure~ Effect
    Failure by 6 or more~ Spew complete misinformation. Fire elementals? Try using your Flame Tongue. They’re weak to heat.
    Failure by 5-1~ You get no information.
    Success by up to 5~ You can know one resistance, immunity, or vulnerability of the DM’s choice.
    Success by 6-10~ You know 1d4+1 resistances, immunities, or vulnerabilities of the DM’s choice.
    Success by 11+~ You know all of the creature’s resistances, immunities and vulnerabilities.

If you really wanted to keep uncertainty in level of success, you could try rolling in secret for the player so that they don't know if they botched or got really accurate. You seem like the type of DM who would do that already...
    Last edited by SunderedWorldDM; 2018-10-10 at 09:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

R1198

Hello again, I created a combined alternate class feature class archetype for wizard specializations

Right now I am at a loss for 2 specific ability/progressions

I have the necromancer getting an undead minion but I am unsure of how to dole out level adjustments for more advanced undead. I already know how the minions are going to progress ( bonus to attributes, extra HD, and special abilities) I am unsure of how to factor in getting more powerful undead at a later level.

The Undead I want to include (in addition to skeleton and zombie) are as follows: Ghoul, Shadow, Ghast, Mummy, Wight, Wraith

The 2nd issue I have is, I cannot think of a level appropriate 20th level ability for Transmuters.

Also, still looking for an idea or two for my R1195

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

H 1195

This is only, like, 7 months late. Here are a few ideas--

Mortal Persistence (Ex): No scorching sun nor freezing cold will stop the fighter on his journey. At level 3, a fighter suffers no harm from being in a hot or cold environment. He can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves). His equipment is likewise protected.

Tough Enough (Ex): At level 7, a fighter gets a +6 on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, and does not suffer the secondary effects of disease or poison.

Always Alert (Ex): Distractions do not stop a trained fighter from noticing their surroundings. At level 13, fighters do not receive a penalty to Perception due to sleeping, background noise, or any effect that distracts them such as fascination or lullaby.

Planar Persistence (Ex): At level 19, a fighter can handle life just about anywhere without too much fuss. They ignore any damage or detrimental effects caused by planar elemental and energy traits, such as fire damage from fire-dominant planes and blindness from major positive-dominant planes. His equipment is likewise protected.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2019-06-14 at 01:53 AM.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Hi there! I have a request...

Since I've seen the Stone Sorcery specialization for Sorcerers in 5E, I've kept wishing there were some sort of martial class with AC similar to it (13 + CON mod), completely eliminating the necessity of DEX to make an unarmored/lightly-armored build.

Does anyone have any ideas for a class like this for a martial?
    A bit late in response, but one of my Prestige Options cover this. They're built around modifying certain stats for others, and then tacking on multiclassing restrictions to prevent these changes from being abused.

The one in question is being a Barbarian, using Strength in place of Dexterity from your Barbarian features. Or, basically, your Unarmored Defense is based on Strength + Constitution rather than Dexterity + Constitution.

The catch is, at least half of your levels have to be in Barbarian, you can only pick the Storm Herald subclass, and this does not effect armor calculations (so wearing armor will still be Armor + Dexterity).

----------------------

Also, still looking for that tactical Barbarian, if anyone's got it.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-14 at 05:41 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

R1199

Hello Homebrewers. For 3.5 or Pathfinder, I'd like to request a PrC for wizards that emphasize the customization, optimization & acquisition (of other class spell lists) of Wall spells. This would also include spells that create wall-like barriers of a sort.

Example: Wall of Smoke, Blockade, Wall of Stone, Coral Growth, Spiritwall, Wall of Incarnum, etc.

I tried to homebrew a 5-level PrC along these lines and it just lacked creative "oomph". Granted, walls really aren't super sexy. But for an engineering, sculptor or geometer-style wizard, it would be a really cool battlefield controller theme.

Thank you!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

C 1199

I would love to try my hand at this. I think a 5-level PrC is a good fit for a wall-related arcane caster.

I would like to make a class called Arcane Engineer for this request. Some initial spitballing:
    • Include a curated list of wall spells, including things like blockade and wall of coral. Add all of these to the PC's list of spells known.
    • Grant extra spells in the PC's spellbook, all of which must be wall spells.
    • Improve wall spells with extra duration (possibly permanency) and larger effect sizes
    • The ability to bypass wall effects and grant your allies the same
    • (Tentative) Possibly some "favorite walls" from the wall spell list, so you can spontaneously convert prepared spells into a small list of wall spells that you favor.
    • (Tentative) The ability to build your own castles. Possibly mi a lyre of building effect or some kind of fortifications-only stone shape.
    • Some engineering-related feat / skill requirements, and flavorful class features

I'll chew on this idea for a bit and then put something together. If you like / dislike any of those bullet points, let me know.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen blockade before. I love the idea of a wooden cube that somehow weights 2000 pounds, yet floats on water.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2019-06-23 at 02:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    C 1199

I would love to try my hand at this. I think a 5-level PrC is a good fit for a wall-related arcane caster.

I would like to make a class called Arcane Engineer for this request. Some initial spitballing:
    • Include a curated list of wall spells, including things like blockade and wall of coral. Add all of these to the PC's list of spells known.
    • Grant extra spells in the PC's spellbook, all of which must be wall spells.
    • Improve wall spells with extra duration (possibly permanency) and larger effect sizes
    • The ability to bypass wall effects and grant your allies the same
    • (Tentative) Possibly some "favorite walls" from the wall spell list, so you can spontaneously convert prepared spells into a small list of wall spells that you favor.
    • (Tentative) The ability to build your own castles. Possibly mi a lyre of building effect or some kind of fortifications-only stone shape.
    • Some engineering-related feat / skill requirements, and flavorful class features

I'll chew on this idea for a bit and then put something together. If you like / dislike any of those bullet points, let me know.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen blockade before. I love the idea of a wooden cube that somehow weights 2000 pounds, yet floats on water.
    That sounds *FANTASTIC*, JtB! You've really dialed into that thematic concept! Since modifying the walls is going to happen in some fashion, you may also want to think of the Craft: Sculpting skill being as important as the Profession/Knowledge: Engineering skill. Both science and art probably factor equally into a cool-looking yet deadly wall.

Thank you .... can't wait to see/hear more of your work!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As this is back, here's an idea to chew on...

R1200
    A class based on Doc Smith's Lensmen*. Kind of surprised it hasn't been done before (searching the forums turned up nothing). Tons of purely mental abilities to consider (lethal illusions, psychic shields, clairvoyance, battles of wills, memory editing, etc), but no telekinesis and the like. Lower level characters might require an Arcane Focus a Lens to focus their powers, but higher level characters don't, though it should still provide other benefits to them (+bonuses probably). Oh, and psi points will probably work better than spell slots. Not sure about sub-classes unless you want a Lawful Good / Lawful Evil split to represent regular vs Black Lensmen, or perhaps a combat / support split, but that can come later anyway.

*Can't post links yet, but you can find them here:

www .fadedpage. com/csearch.php? author=Smith,%20Edward%20Elmer%20(%27Doc%27)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Valdon View Post
    As this is back, here's an idea to chew on...

R1200
    A class based on Doc Smith's Lensmen*. Kind of surprised it hasn't been done before (searching the forums turned up nothing). Tons of purely mental abilities to consider (lethal illusions, psychic shields, clairvoyance, battles of wills, memory editing, etc), but no telekinesis and the like. Lower level characters might require an Arcane Focus a Lens to focus their powers, but higher level characters don't, though it should still provide other benefits to them (+bonuses probably). Oh, and psi points will probably work better than spell slots. Not sure about sub-classes unless you want a Lawful Good / Lawful Evil split to represent regular vs Black Lensmen, or perhaps a combat / support split, but that can come later anyway.

*Can't post links yet, but you can find them here:

www .fadedpage. com/csearch.php? author=Smith,%20Edward%20Elmer%20(%27Doc%27)
    Two things:

1) What edition?

2) Honestly, Lensmen's powers weren't so much in their Lenses. They had potent psychic powers, but more than that, they were SPACE COPS. Complete with Space Cop equipment-which is where the bulk of their power came from. (Or from being a blip-blorping alien.)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Apologies for the late reply - had a fair bit to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    1) What edition?
    I'm most used to 5th, but I don't find it that hard to convert from one to the other once something's set down, so if you prefer 3.5 or w/e that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    2) Honestly, Lensmen's powers weren't so much in their Lenses. They had potent psychic powers, but more than that, they were SPACE COPS. Complete with Space Cop equipment-which is where the bulk of their power came from. (Or from being a blip-blorping alien.)
    True, but Doc Smith's version of psionics is very different to the usual D&D stuff, which is why I think it might be a nice basis for something in D&D.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

R 1201

Hey folks.

I'd like help to accomodate my players with 2 different options to acquire the Dark Companion alternate class feature from 3.5's Hexblade class.

1. Via a feat
    2. Via a Warlock Invocation

Since I know it is considered not good to grant a class feature as a feat (or invocation), I'm not sure where to start with gauging it's relative power valuation.

One thing I thought was interested upon further observation of the Dark Companion ... was that is certainly has its drawbacks:

- Dispellable
    - Could take more than 1 or 2 rounds to "reach" an enemy
    - Costs 100gp

Thanks for any help in homebrewing this request! Cheers!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

R 1202

A 5e monk subclass based around using a war fan, or dual war fans in combat. Doesn't have to be mystical in nature, and it'll be used for a goblin character who will be a luchador style monk with a flamingo costume/identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would love to see a Pathfinder revamp of the Binder and Factotem classes. Those two did not get enough love from wizards at all.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RecordedChaos View Post
    I would love to see a Pathfinder revamp of the Binder and Factotem classes. Those two did not get enough love from wizards at all.
    Base classes are generally not going to be home brewed (see original post). Also your request needs a number. It appears to be R. 1203.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

R 1204

I’d like a 3.5e set of human Paladin substitution levels. They’re for a human nation that banned their old religion and founded a new one which asks for complete devotion to the state. Such a paladin shouldn’t have good/evil based features, more features based on a nationalist “us vs them.”
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Heyyyyy Miss Disaster, been thinking on that Arcane Engineer. How do ya feel about getting it almost an entire year late?

H 1199: Arcane Engineer
    Technically I was hired as an applied architectural arcanist.

Prerequisites:
    • Capable of casting 3rd level arcane spells
    • Able to cast 3 or more spells from the arcane engineer spell list
    • Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) 9 ranks
    • Skill Focus (Architecture and Engineering)

HD: d6
    Good Saves: Will
    Skills: 4 + Intelligence modifier
    Skill List: Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Knowledge (Arcana) (Architecture and Engineering) (The Planes), Open Lock, Profession, Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Level Special Spellcasting
    1 Structural Arcanery -
    2 Engineer's Toolkit (Lyre of Building) +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    3 The Knack +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    4 Structural Manipulation +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    5 Engineer's Toolkit (Instant Fortress) +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Proficiencies: The arcane engineer does not gain any new proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At every level except the first, an arcane engineer gains spells as though they had taken a level in an arcane spellcasting class they already possessed. If they has more than one such class, they must choose one.

Architectural Arcanery: At level 1 and whenever they gain a new spell level, an arcane engineer gains access to all spells from the arcane engineer spell list of the spell levels they can cast. If they have spells known, they add these spells to their spells known. If they use a spellbook, they can add these spells to their spellbook using shorthand notation with a process that takes 50gp worth of ink and 4 hours. They can choose to treat their caster level for these spells as equal to their ranks in Knowledge (Engineering and Architecture).

Engineer's Toolkit: Like most engineers, arcane engineers have tools. With 8 hours of crafting time, an arcane engineer can create certain magic items without materials, XP, or crafting feats. This item cannot be sold and can only be used by the arcane engineer who created it.

At level 2, an arcane engineer can craft a lyre of building.

At level 5, an arcane engineer can craft an instant fortress.

Structural Manipulation: At level 3, an arcane engineer can manipulate the structures formed by their spells so they defy their normal rules.
    • Spells created can be anchored to any point in space instead of solid surfaces.
    • Any wall or structure can take any shape so long as they have the same length and thickness as the effect of the original spell.

The Knack: At level 4, an arcane engineer gains a floating pool of XP that can be used to pay for permanency spells. The size of this pool is equal to their ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) x 1,000. At any time, an arcane engineer can dismiss an effect that they have invested floating XP into, which restores XP to the pool.

Arcane Engineer Spell List
    1st - blockade, wall of pain (Shining), wall of smoke (SpC)
    2nd - continual flame, soften earth and stone, wall of coldfire (Frost), wall of eyes (BoVD), wall of light (SpC), wall of gloom (SpC), wall walker1, wind wall
    3rd - stone shape, tiny hut, wall of bones (CArc), wall of chains (BoVD), wall of chaos (SpC), wall of evil (SpC), wall of fire, wall of good (SpC), wall of ice, wall of incarnum, wall of law (SpC), wall of moonlight (PGtF), wall of salt (Sand), wall of sand (PGtF), wall of thorns, wall of vermin (CScoundrel) wall of water (SpC)
    4th - illusory wall, minor creation, perinarch (SpC), resilient sphere, secure shelter, wall of deadly chains (BoVD), wall of ectoplasm1, wall of gears (SpC), wall of limbs (SpC), wall of ooze (BoVD), wall of magma (Sand), wall of scales (RotD)
    5th - major creation, passwall, permanency, transmute mud to rock, transmute rock to mud, wall of dispel magic (SpC), wall of stone, wall of force
    6th - animate object, phase door, wall of iron
    7th - forcecage, iceberg (Frost), mage's magnificent mansion
    8th - planar perinarch (SpC), prismatic wall, wall of greater dispel magic (SpC)
    9th - gate, halaster's teleport cage (Waterdeep), word of genesis2 (ToM)
    1 this power is cast as a spell. The effect is as though the minimum number of power points invested in it.
    2 this spell has no XP cost and you automatically succeed at the Truespeak check. However, you can only create 1 instance of the demiplane with this spell at a time. If you create a new one, the old one disappears.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show

This is one of those awkward feat taxes where you pay power now in exchange for cool stuff later... I know it's not great design, but it really feels right here. Intended entry point is level 6, so you can take Skill Focus at level 6 and get dinged for as little time as possible. Mechanically this is 1 level of spell reduction + 1 feat for a bunch of flexibility.

Also, building-related effects also seem to break the economy, so I just leaned into that. Free items, reduced spell levels, free XP. Theorycraft away with castles! An arcane engineer / trapsmith would be an interesting deathtrap dungeon boss.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2020-06-04 at 11:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Wizard View Post
    R 1201

Hey folks.

I'd like help to accomodate my players with 2 different options to acquire the Dark Companion alternate class feature from 3.5's Hexblade class.

1. Via a feat
    2. Via a Warlock Invocation

Since I know it is considered not good to grant a class feature as a feat (or invocation), I'm not sure where to start with gauging it's relative power valuation.

One thing I thought was interested upon further observation of the Dark Companion ... was that is certainly has its drawbacks:

- Dispellable
    - Could take more than 1 or 2 rounds to "reach" an enemy
    - Costs 100gp

Thanks for any help in homebrewing this request! Cheers!
    On the topic of being almost a year late...

C 1201

Given that Obtain Familiar is a feat, I think this could be considered accessible with a feat. Admittedly, Dark Companion is more useful than a familiar, so this feat would be stronger. There's also the level 4 minimum for the feature. I think I would feel safest if this version of Dark Companion had some kind of nerf, like needing an action to command the companion.

A Warlock invocation would just be the feat problem, but worse. I'm also not familiar with Warlock invocations that have long-term durations or permanent costs (and I'd prefer to keep one-off homebrew invocations within those bounds as well). I could see a dark companion invocation coming with a large downside (something that makes you more fragile?) but gives you the same flexible dark companion as a real hexblade.

I will mull this over and try to post something.

22. - Top - End - #262

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    R 1202

A 5e monk subclass based around using a war fan, or dual war fans in combat. Doesn't have to be mystical in nature, and it'll be used for a goblin character who will be a luchador style monk with a flamingo costume/identity.
    I think you could do this with Kensei monk subclass and maybe the Boomerang fairly well (my ruling on stuff like stabbing with a dart or an arrow is that it’s an improvised weapon but you get your Proficiency for knowing how it’s best used (like holding an arrow close to the head rather than in the middle to stab, etc). So you could bludgeon someone competently with the Boomerang and throw it like Kitana from Mortal Kombat. Otherwise it’s specialized and they could take the dual wielding feat for added defense.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    R 1204

I’d like a 3.5e set of human Paladin substitution levels. They’re for a human nation that banned their old religion and founded a new one which asks for complete devotion to the state. Such a paladin shouldn’t have good/evil based features, more features based on a nationalist “us vs them.”
    The degree to which the Paladin is tied to its Good flavor makes substitution levels a bad fit for this, since pretty much the entire first six levels that give all the features have to be replaced. A more general shift to Law as a "knight hospitaller" can have the replacements be 1, 3, and 5, as Lay on Hands and Cure Disease can be kept for that healing role, while Turn Undead is just another Positive Energy effect. I'd go with Auras as the principal replacement, with the Special Mount getting an overhaul to reduce the supernatural properties involved and make it basically not need to be concerned with.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

H 1201a: Insubstantial Cohort (Feat)
    Prerequisites: BAB +4, Spellcraft 2 ranks
    Benefit: You have the ability to create an illusory companion, spun from from the darkness of the night. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials that cost 100 gp.

This is identical to the Dark Companion alternate class feature for the Hexblade, with the following exceptions:
    • Whenever you would refer to your Hexblade level for your Insubstantial Cohort, instead use your base attack bonus.
    • Your Insubstantial Cohort is harder to control than a normal Hexblade's. Each turn, you must spend a swift action to issue mental commands to your it. If you do not, your Dark Companion will not act.

Special: Multiple Dark Companion features do not replace each other, so it is possible to have more than one at a time. Penalties from all Dark Companions are considered to come from the same source, so they do not stack.

H 1201b: Phantom of Woe (Invocation)
    Lesser, 3rd
    You can conjure an illusory companion, spun from the darkness of the night. This is identical to the Dark Companion alternate class feature for the Hexblade, with the following exceptions:
    • You may conjure this companion as a swift action which does not use up any magic materials.
    • Whenever you would refer to your Hexblade level for your Dark Companion, instead use your caster level.
    • If your Dark Companion is dispelled, it does not reform at your side later. You may dispel your Dark Companion as a swift action.
    • You may only have 1 Dark Companion active from phantom of woe at a time. Whenever you conjure a new one this way, your previously-conjured Dark Companion disappears.
    • While you have a Dark Companion active from phantom of woe, you cannot move of your own accord aside from taking 5' steps.

Multiple Dark Companion features do not replace each other, so it is possible to have more than one at a time. Penalties from all Dark Companions are considered to come from the same source, so they do not stack.

Show

At a high level, both of these are intended to be accessed at about level 6 (though you can technically quality for the feat at level 4 if you somehow have a slot open).

On the feat: Spellcraft ranks are for magic-mastery flavor, and they're low so most people can get them without trouble. Dark Companion is pretty synergistic with fighting characters, so I put a large action economy cost. What's cool is that this feat is much better for weak builds. Initiators won't be able to lean on boosts as much if they want to use this feat, but it's great for your average fighter or paladin.

Dark Companion is also pretty great for warlocks, because you can move your companion next to a poor schmuck and then smack em with an eldritch blast. As a result, I made you immobile while using your companion and then made the companion toggle-able. You can still get a free -2 AC on an enemy if you want, but you'll only be able to do it once every 2 turns and you'll have to spend all your swift actions.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2020-06-05 at 09:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    R 1204

C 1204

I agree with Morphic that this would be tough as a level substitution. If you come back to this post, I'd be interested in doing a variant class for this instead, like the UA Paladin variants. I could see something similar. Maybe call it Paladin of Authority to follow the trend?
    • Change CoC to reflect the priorities of the state
    • Smite goes to anyone who opposes the state (probably everyone you care about smiting)
    • I think that replacing effects like turn undead, detection, and the mount would be tough without a little more flavor about the nation / culture. What sort of enemies do the Paladins hunt (maybe other Paladins)? How militaristic are they? Does their new religion grant any specific powers?
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2020-06-09 at 09:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Heyyyyy Miss Disaster, been thinking on that Arcane Engineer. How do ya feel about getting it almost an entire year late?

H 1199: Arcane Engineer
    Technically I was hired as an applied architectural arcanist.
    Yaaaaaayy!!! Thank you so much, JtB. Better late than never! Lol.

I quickly perused the class features of your new Wallmancer - and I really, really like it. And you certainly did a lot of homework on constructing that cool & comprehensive custom spell list. Also, props to you for your clever use of the Knowledge (Engineering and Architecture) skill as a proprietary CL.

Pathfinder also has a number of different wall-based spells as well. I just responded to a thread in this forum about the Campfire Wall spell, for example.
    Last edited by Miss Disaster; 2020-06-12 at 01:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

C 1199

Happy to help!

Never heard of campfire wall. That's a very interesting spell. Makes me wonder how differently this would play in PF versus DnD. You'd lose a lot of the cool planar magic and a good chunk of the walls, but there seem to be quite a few niche spells that DnD doesn't have. Like expeditious construction at level 1 is pretty cool.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

C 1201

Thank you, Just To Browse! 2 awesome character mechanics for 1 request. I am going to use both of these. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into carefully balancing them. Happy Gaming to you, my friend.

H 1201a: Insubstantial Cohort (Feat)
    Prerequisites: BAB +4, Spellcraft 2 ranks
    Benefit: You have the ability to create an illusory companion, spun from from the darkness of the night. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials that cost 100 gp.

This is identical to the Dark Companion alternate class feature for the Hexblade, with the following exceptions:
    • Whenever you would refer to your Hexblade level for your Insubstantial Cohort, instead use your base attack bonus.
    • Your Insubstantial Cohort is harder to control than a normal Hexblade's. Each turn, you must spend a swift action to issue mental commands to your it. If you do not, your Dark Companion will not act.

Special: Multiple Dark Companion features do not replace each other, so it is possible to have more than one at a time. Penalties from all Dark Companions are considered to come from the same source, so they do not stack.

H 1201b: Phantom of Woe (Invocation)
    Lesser, 3rd
    You can conjure an illusory companion, spun from the darkness of the night. This is identical to the Dark Companion alternate class feature for the Hexblade, with the following exceptions:
    • You may conjure this companion as a swift action which does not use up any magic materials.
    • Whenever you would refer to your Hexblade level for your Dark Companion, instead use your caster level.
    • If your Dark Companion is dispelled, it does not reform at your side later. You may dispel your Dark Companion as a swift action.
    • You may only have 1 Dark Companion active from phantom of woe at a time. Whenever you conjure a new one this way, your previously-conjured Dark Companion disappears.
    • While you have a Dark Companion active from phantom of woe, you cannot move of your own accord aside from taking 5' steps.

Multiple Dark Companion features do not replace each other, so it is possible to have more than one at a time. Penalties from all Dark Companions are considered to come from the same source, so they do not stack.

Show

At a high level, both of these are intended to be accessed at about level 6 (though you can technically quality for the feat at level 4 if you somehow have a slot open).

On the feat: Spellcraft ranks are for magic-mastery flavor, and they're low so most people can get them without trouble. Dark Companion is pretty synergistic with fighting characters, so I put a large action economy cost. What's cool is that this feat is much better for weak builds. Initiators won't be able to lean on boosts as much if they want to use this feat, but it's great for your average fighter or paladin.

Dark Companion is also pretty great for warlocks, because you can move your companion next to a poor schmuck and then smack em with an eldritch blast. As a result, I made you immobile while using your companion and then made the companion toggle-able. You can still get a free -2 AC on an enemy if you want, but you'll only be able to do it once every 2 turns and you'll have to spend all your swift actions.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

R 1205

This is for 5e.

Hey all. I want to turn a very weakened version of Mind Flayer's Mind Blast into a level 1 Wizard spell. I have a good idea of what it should look like, but I don't trust myself when it comes to balance and would appreciate some help. I want it to do damage in an area and add a short effect.

This is what I've come up with so far (based on Burning Hands)

Mini Mind Blast
    School: Enchantment
    Level: 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: Self (15-foot cone)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Int; If successful - no damage and no effect
    Damage: 2d6 psychic
    Additional Effect: This is the hardest part. I was thinking either Disadvantage on attacks for 1 round or no Reaction for 1 round or no movement for 1 round. Or maybe some combination of those.

What do you think?
    Any interesting ideas that would break this format are also welcome as long as they still feel like a smaller mind blast and are level 1.
    Last edited by Geny; 2020-07-13 at 01:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Geny View Post
    R 1205

This is for 5e.

Hey all. I want to turn a very weakened version of Mind Flayer's Mind Blast into a level 1 Wizard spell. I have a good idea of what it should look like, but I don't trust myself when it comes to balance and would appreciate some help. I want it to do damage in an area and add a short effect.

This is what I've come up with so far (based on Burning Hands)

Mini Mind Blast
    School: Enchantment
    Level: 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: Self (15-foot cone)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Int; If successful - no damage and no effect
    Damage: 2d6 psychic
    Additional Effect: This is the hardest part. I was thinking either Disadvantage on attacks for 1 round or no Reaction for 1 round or no movement for 1 round. Or maybe some combination of those.

What do you think?
    Any interesting ideas that would break this format are also welcome as long as they still feel like a smaller mind blast and are level 1.
    H. 1205
    Interesting idea. However, as it isn't a cantrip, I suggest at least allowing half damage on a successful save. The riders you've suggested would work, but I feel like cantrips all cover those niches. Instead, try something new. I suggest: Disrupt Equilibrium. On a failed save, targets' sense of balance is ruined. Until the end of their next turn, they must make a Dexterity Saving Throw for every 10ft they move (including forced movement), or else fall prone and end their turn. For extra lulz, consider stipulating that on a roll of 1 against the movement effect, the vertigo is so severe that they vomit, and are poisoned for 1 turn after.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2020-07-13 at 03:35 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.