Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Gates of Hell (IC)

Blood. All denizens of the lower planes love it. They love to see it. They love to smell it. But, most of all, they love to cause it. It is perhaps the one thing that the lawful Devils and the chaotic Demons agree upon.

The world started in the year 0. The gods, being the benevolent being that they are, created the world from a single speck of dust. They first sculpted the flat lands and the great mountains. Seeing that the world was dry, they gave it water. Seeing that it was barren, they gave it green. Finally, seeing that it was without movement, thay breathed upon it the various races of life upon it. Elves, Orcs, Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, and the like. They then sent down their angels, to keep watch on the beings of the world.

All was peaceful for the first 1000 or so years. The people lived happily among themselves. The angels made sure that everything ran smoothly, while the gods stepped back to admire their work from the heavens. However, in the year 1037, a certain angel by the name of Trantus felt a certain hunger. A hunger for power. He, then, hatched a plan to take power of the entire world. He started recruiting the various races of the world to his cause. He went under the guise of a priest of the gods, and gained an enormous amount of followers. He then, slowly, started warping the teachings of the priests of the gods, eventually making himself out to be just that: a god.

Obviously, the gods knew of his plot, but being the arrogant beings that gods are, thought that his plans would come to nothing.

Years after Trantus' initial corruption, forty to be exact, Trantus has designed a ritual that he believes to be capable of giving him enormous power, comparable to that of a god.

Journal of Trantus, Volume VII, page 327.
    17th of Ceran, Year 1077

I am in the High Chapel of Trantus, located on a small island in the Peradic Ocean. The ritual is about to begin. Within a few hours, I will be a god. Or, at least, have the power of such a thing. It is quite simple, actually. All that I have to do is sketch a Pentagram on the floor, sit in the middle, and have my high priest read from the Book of Law, while my second highest reads from the Book of Chaos. Again, quite simple. When I write in this book once again, I will be a god.

Five hours have passed since my last writing in this journal. The ritual went horribly wrong. When the last word was uttered, I got up, and tried to do something godly. Nothing happened. I tried again and again, and nothing happened. I went over to my high priest, and pulled back my arm to hit him for failing. There was a red flash of light from behind me, followed by a roar. I slowly turned around, and saw something hideous. There, on the Pentagram, was a huge creature the likes of I've never seen before. It had horns the size of greatswords, eyes as big as dinner plates. About a second passed, and then the creature went on a rampage. It started killing all it saw. Its great claws sliced though my followers like a hot knife through butter. Luckily, I escaped before it started on me. I am currently hiding in a more secluded part of the Chapel. I can hear the creature walking around, killing anyone it sees. I think I will call this thing a "Demon." Wait, do I hear more than one? I think there is more than one now. I hope I can think of a way out of this damned pla-

It is now 1082. The forces of the world have been at constant war with the Demons and the Devils. The portal that Trantus opened attracted the attention of the lawful Devils as well as the chaotic Demons, who had been (and still are) at war. The gods had no clue that the underworlds were a part of this world that they had created, or in fact even existed, and are quickly trying to find a way to get rid of the otherworldly menace. in the last five years, the underworlders have opened more portals throughout the world, though none is bigger than the one at the former Chapel of Trantus.

Currently, the gods see only one solution: Gather the best warriors of the world and have them close the gates to the underworld.

This is where our Protagonists come in...

Spoiler: The World of Juran
    Show

The lines up in northern Sepium/Lannia/Herum indicate boundaries, as there is no ocean to separate them.
    The Red Hexes indicate areas where the underworld has invaded ours.
    The black hex is where you start.

You are all gathered in an enormous room, bigger than any you have ever seen before. The walls and floor seem to be made of solid gold, and there is no ceiling to be seen. Instead, you see an open night sky, stars filling the hole by the billions. Dark blue fills the gaps between the shining points of light. In front of you there are row upon row of seats, with a long table stretching before each row. It looks like there is seating for upwards of 40 people. Above the seats, there is a huge balcony. You all look about for a moment when a line of people begin filing in from the side of the seating. They move to the seats, and sit down, one person for each chair. You notice that four people have appeared on the balcony. Once everyone is settled, the four up on the balcony start speaking in unison.

"Each and every one of you has been called here, to Ucleas, the realm of the gods, to recieve a mission. As some of you may have guessed, it has to do with the Hell Gates.
    "Over the last four and a half years, we have been observing all of the world's great heroes, in an attempt to find some who would be able to seal the Gates as we, unfortunately, cannot meddle with the world directly. There was a Aasimar Paladin-Monk, there was a Ratfolk Lich, there was a Human Sorcerer, among others. We surveyed many potential heroes, and you all came out on top. You will be the ones to destroy the Hell Gates. We assume you have questions?"
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: The Gates of Hell (IC)

Xaron, a tall, dark-skinned man in blue robes, stands with his arms crossed and unimpressed look on his face. He calmly looks on the mysterious figures, before speaking.
    "What is there to question? You wanted the best, you got the best. And these guys." He nods his head towards what he assumes are supposed to be his "allies". He just hopes they won't be getting in the way, once he takes care of demons. "Just point us towards these Gates. And hire somebody to dispose the bodies."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

A well groomed green haired man of small folk proportions notable for his gossamer wings and the staff adorned with gems that he holds in his right hand looks surprised then slightly annoyed. After waiting for the eager hot shot to finish, he speaks.
    "Yeah, I have a question. I was kind of expecting a more detailed briefing before we got to the questions. While I imagine we're all capable of ploughing our way through the vast hordes of demons or the tightly discipled armies of the Dukes of hell in our own way, there's a small detail of our objective. Sirs or Mams, whatever you might prefer, how exactly are we supposed to carry it out? " He asks with pointed sarcasm aimed at the previous speaker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A flame haired young man, adorned in the simplest of rags, sits slightly apart from the others. He did not feel like the great hero they mad him out to be. His brothers and sisters had given their lives in defense of this world, and he had survived, like a coward.

Phenik looks from one to the other of his two companions who had already begun to argue, and then looks upward in resignation. May the gods' plan for him be one of glory and honor, despite what obstacles may be placed in his path.

Finally summoning his own courage, he stands up and looks toward the balcony, his piercing green eyes shining in the light. "Which portal are we to target first, and how are we meant to close them and seal them forever?" he asks, lending his support to the fey-like man.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

5. - Top - End - #5

Arcantos personally had no question to ask, simply a swelling sense of excitement. This. THIS was his destiny. A mission set by the gods themselves! Finally, Arcantos had a means to finish a threat he had been fighting for five long years. Finally he had allies that could stand aside him instead of behind him. Finally, Arcantos could see what he was born for... to destroy the portals.

Oh sure, Arcantos wasn’t sure how they would do it currently, or how the portals would actually be closed, but those were minor factors, minor questions that didn’t really bother him to much. He was smart sure, but he was a fighter and a lover more than anything else... okay bard, not lover.. but he kinda hoped to become the later... anyway his point was, that he was focused more on the excitement and historical moment happening around him, in order to think on trivial matters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry it took so long, guys. Things have been busy.

The four up top look at eachother, and then down upon the group again.

"Good. We wanted to make sure that we didn't choose a group that would simply rush into the gates without a plan. It looks like.."
    They glare at Xaron, "One of you would, but we trust the rest of you will keep him from doing something, ah, most regrettable.

"Now, as to how you will destroy the gates. We have been sending angels down to survey the gates, looking for enterance points. See, they're not quite 'gates', per se. Apparently, it is more of a summonig circle. The circle, once opened, starts corrupting the land around it; essentially, it is literally bringing hell up into the material world. Along with it, it is bringing along hordes of Demons and Devils. The only one that is an actual gate is the first, at the 'church' of Trantus. This is what it looks like.

Spoiler: Suddenly, this picture flashes through your heads.
    Show

We have yet to actually send an angel into the main one, but from looking at it, it is heavily guarded. It likely leads to Hell's 'Headquarters.' It, to our knowledge, should be controlled largely by demons, as demons were the first to come through.

"As for how you all will infiltrate it, we have done some research. Or, rather, theorization. We believe that an object of pure holiness may be able to weaken the demons protecting the main gate, and might also weaken the smaller gates to a point where they can be easily destroyed. However, we cannot create an object of pure holiness, no more than one of you can create an object that is the manifestation of your plane. However, that doesn't mean that such things don't exist. They do, in the deep reaches of space. And, one has, in fact, been on a course for Juran for centuries. We have been speeding it up and directing it for the past 4 years, and it is to impact within 12 hours. However, even with the guardians of the gate having been weakened by this object (which will be in your possession) it will still be a significant struggle to get into it, even if we send an army of angels to seige the gate with you. This is where the first stage of your quest comes in. We believe that destroying the smaller gates will weaken the weaker gate, much like destroying the foundations of a building. When you are ready, you will be teleported to the place where we expect the holy object to land. Be careful, as there are bound to be demons who will attempt to destroy the weapon when it touches down.
    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2015-04-11 at 10:58 PM.
    Extended Signature

Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Nustrilaa hadn't asked questions the first time around because... well, others had asked the question she'd wanted. But then the response came... and it wasn't really an answer. So, this was the elderly elf's turn to speak.

"While that's interesting information for the future, the more immediate question isn't 'how do we close the main portal'... it's 'how do we close the small ones?'. With a typical summoning circle, it's just a matter of destroying the physical markings bounding the circle. I'm not sure if destroying these will be quite so simple... That said, if they do behave like their more typical cousins, destroying the circles won't banish whatever has already been summoned, but it will prevent the circles from calling anything more forth. Which leads to the second question: If we do simply destroy the circles, will it actually save this world from the corruption? Or do we have to go a step further, and find a way to reverse the summoning effect in order to return this world to its natural state?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Goblin

"That part is simple. We destroy the gates, and then hunt down everyone who were so unlucky to stay on the wrong side." Xaron answers Elf's last question, ignoring scolding he received from the gods. He will deal with tht in it's time. For now he wants to see what these demons and devils can do. Train a bit, on their broken bones.
    "I'm always ready." He says to the gods, in regard to their previous words about being teleported when they are ready. He hopes the artifact will attract some strong demons, he needs a bit of excitement.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"The circle, once opened, starts corrupting the land around it; essentially, it is literally bringing hell up into the material world." Nustrilaa quoted from the briefing they'd just been given. "I was concerned about the corrupted lands, not the demons who would be trapped behind. You're completely right about how we'll deal with those."

Did he really miss that point...?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Goblin

"Cleaning up some demon's mess is not my problem." Xaron replies to the Elf. "Make no misconception about me. I'm not a hero. I'm a man who seeks strong opponents and beats them. I'm a killer. I was brought here to do the killing. I'll focus on that, you can deal with small stuff. That's how this teamwork thing works, right?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Division of labour is sensible enough, but a large part of that is actually allowing the rest of us to do the parts of the task you're not tackling. If you think that interrupting the rest of our attempts to get important information actually counts as good teamwork, then you have very spectacularly missed the point. Now if you know everything you need to, shut up and let the rest of us get our answers."

Nustrilaa and Xaron are going to get along so well together!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The Gods wait for the Elan and the Elf to stop squabbling, then answer the Elf's questions.

"To destroy the smaller gates, it is really all about killing the ones protecting it. The gates literally feed off of the power of the demons around it. Kill the guardians, and it is simply a matter of disrupting the circle with the weapon. As for redeeming the lands... We aren't sure yet. However, the instant we find out, word will head out to you.

"We, as of now, don't know how to destroy the main gate once you've entered it. We're contemplating a stealth mission of a team of angels into the gate soon. Once that is finished, we'll forward anything we learn to you."

"Well, if that is all, then we'll send you through. If you have more questions, speak now or forever hold your peace. Also...
    A small ring falls from the open sky, landing directly in front of the party.
    This ring will teleport the wearer, along with anyone touching them, to this realm. Use it sparingly, as it only works once.

Show

I'll give a day or so for anyone to ask anything else.
    Extended Signature

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Phenik glares at Xaron when he explains his place here. Such mercenaries had no place in a good world, such was the will of the gods.

"Someone else will have to carry that burden," he says, pointing to the ring. "The gods have granted me my power only under the condition of absolute purity."
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

"I can oblige." the gnome responds and picks up the ring and puts in his open palm.

"Yeah, if you don't mind the short delay, just who are we exactly? An epic quest against the forces of evil is fun and all but what of the names of these four people I'm going to depend on? I would think some introductions are in order. My name is Zoshgaret and I work as freelance general under the explicit assumption the armies I lead are fighting the outsider incursion." The fey gnome gestures to his new compatriots and then the elan.

"Come to think of it, I just realised I left some poor kid to explain to his king my sudden absence. Well, I can deal with that later. Anyway, can I have permission to add all of you to my psionic network? It makes co-ordination and fighting that much easier. Should also keep the noise down too. It also lets me and any other psionic adept share their powers." He turns to ask the others.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2015-04-12 at 09:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Arcantos listened to the small back and forth argument, not sure whenever or not he should say anything himself. That being said, the gods soon stepped in and ended that promptly, satisfying Arcantos. He was more a fighter than a healer, so having the gods permission to simply focus on the fighting was a relief for Arcantos. When the gnome stepped forwards and began introducing himself, Arcantos stood up.

“I am Arcantos, destined Hero and master of blade & song. I will easily be able to inspire everyone to fight better and harder with my music, whilst my mastery of the blade allows me easy control of the battlefield. Joining your psionic network is a grand idea, as it would allow us to more easily coordinate and fight as well.” Yes it was rather... grand and dramatic. But when your life was a story, you tended to act like it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"My name is Phenik. I was consecrated from birth to serve the gods and preserve the purity of the world from the upstart Trantus. They have given me power over the natural world."
    Show

Town Square execution.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"And my name is Nustrilaa. I am a Priest, Wizard and Bard. Because no quest to save the world is complete without enough bards along to sing of your heroism... in harmony! Just don't expect me to be up to much hand-to-hand. I am over five hundred years old at this point..."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Goblin

Xaron ignores the Elf and, through he cannot help but smile, when the gods admit he was, obviously, right.
    True display of impertinence comes from the gnome, who has an audacity to offer him, HIM, to join some pathetic network of his. Xaron starts preparing to kill that fool here and now, but them a voice in his head reminds him that one of the goals was to learn how to use the teamwork. And that, as much as he won't admit it to his face, demons are too much of a challenge for him alone
    "I shall grant you this honor. You can join your network with me." He says to the Gnome.
    "My name is Xaron. They call me Terror in Blue. There is a reason for that. Mine is the power of mind."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

We... Are gods. The originals. So old that the world has forgotten us. Telling you our names would mean nothing to you, as you've likely never heard them before. Well, if you are ready, we'll send you off.

Spoiler: Kn. History or Divine DC 35
    Show

These are, indeed, the original four gods. They are said to have created the world of Juran in Year 0, and have been forgotten about by the majority of the population.

Spoiler: DC 40
    Show

Their names are Maer, Freas, Korrun, and Harel.
    Spoiler: DC 45
    Show

Maer is the god of Earth, Freas of Fire, Korrun of Water, and Harel of Light.

If no objections are voiced, a beam of light comes down from the Heavens. Or, rather, to the Heavens, from... Whatever is above this place.

"If you are ready to go, then go now. Step into the beam, and you will find yourself in southern Lannia, in a clearing just east of the town of Makil. Wait for a few hours, and the weapon will arrive. We wish you good luck, adventurers. The world is depending on you.
    Extended Signature

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

"Well, um, yes." The gnome says as he pockets the ring. "Since we're moving to another plane, I'll hold off on establishing the network. Regarding the theatrics..." He flies forth to the threshold of the glowy beam. "Onward to a Brighter Future!" he cries as he charges forth...into the unknown.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2015-04-14 at 12:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

“Another bard? And here I was hoping to have first dips on the story that was to come.” Arcantos noted with a chuckle and a grin, obviously caring little in all actually about having the claim. When the light came down from above, the hero shook his head and stepped towards it with a grin, saying. “Very dramatic, still, dramatic events for a dramatic story I suppose!”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Goblin

Xaron sighs, eating some rather unpleasant words he has about his new allies, and steps into the portal.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Phenik follows the others into the portal, bowing reverently to the gods as he goes.
    Show

Town Square execution.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Nustrilaa heads through the portal as well, smiling faintly as she goes. Hundreds of years of service, and that was her first face-to-face meeting with them...

Once she's through, she taps Zoshgaret on the shoulder. "Well, looks like a good time to start that network of yours. Let's all make sure we're used to it before the enemy arrives."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

As you step into the beam of light, you suddenly feel weightless. Then, your stomach flies up into your throat for a moment, then you feel the land beneath your feet. It's a night sky out, and all seems calm. You look about, and find yourselves in a clearing, a circle trees all around.

Show

You all got, in-game, about 8-12 hours until the thing falls. Feel free to roleplay the group setting up camp, or I can move the game along if people wish.
    Extended Signature

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGuy

"Yes, Mam." Zoshgaret answers and briefly concentrates before opening up the link.

"Hello? The link should be working. I should mention you can actually communicate among yourselves if you want. Stay sharp, I wouldn't be surprised if we become targets of an ambush."

Spoiler: Other actions
    Show
    Activating three auras, Grant Dexterity: +5 Morale bonus to Dexterity, Motivate Care +8 Dodge bonus to AC and Master of Scouting: +9 Circumstance bonus on perception checks.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2015-04-14 at 11:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Looking around the location, Arcantos didn’t see any immediate sign of danger, or starfall. Plus, the place seemed rather... peaceful in all honestly. Once the network was created and they were all joined psychically, Arcantos nodded. “Yep, I can hear you loud and clear.” The bard simply prefered talking out loud. Stories couldn’t be shared if they couldn’t be told after all. “I think we should set up camp and set up a watch as well. The artifact might take a few hours to land, and getting some sleep might be useful.”

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Goblin

"You, Gnome, your network works on shielded minds? I'm about to shield mine from attacks wouldn't like to get cut for slight possibility you have any crucial information to share." Xaron asks Zoshgaret. If there are no advises against it, he proceeds to fortify his mind from any attempts at stealing information from it.
    Then he goes to medidate and recover expended energy.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

PP: 317
    Manifesting Personal Barred Mind, Agumented to 17 points, increasing saving throw bonus to +12, duration: one day
    PP left: 300
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2015-04-15 at 01:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

No, should be fine. It's all voluntary. Any time you no longer consent you can just withdraw. Speaking of Consent, with the link we can share powers as if we were physically touching. You OK with that? The Gnome replies.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Phenik recoils at first, at the feeling of the other minds connecting to his, then relaxes, allowing himself to trust the others.

I will take the watch, he thinks. I do not need to sleep. I only ask some time to meditate before our journey begins in earnest.
    Show

Town Square execution.