Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Gates of Hell (OOC)

Here is the OOC thread. Pick out colors, feel free to engage in discussion.

Spoiler: Players
    Show

Arcantos, played by Tempestfury
    Xaron, played by Man on Fire
    Nustrilaa, played by whoiam
    Phenik, played by Brietheamh
    And, Zoshgaret, played by Rendel Nep.

Spoiler: Big 16 (For Reference)
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    3.P, AKA Pathfinder with a bit of 3.5 mixed in.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrew world.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Probably 4-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Here.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    16th Level. Tristalt.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    422500 (WBL x 1.3)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Look at # 13

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    All Pathfinder Core and Featured races, plus my own Kreshen race, with Uncommon on request.
    Also, you can take (Pathfinder) monster races. Use CR as LA. However, you can have a maximum of 4 LA.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    4d6b3 x6 Two times.If you don't like what you get, 25 PB (Pathfinder)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes. However, I judge alignment by intent, not actions. Thus, if the Paladin's actions destroy a town that he was in reality trying to protect, he won't fall.

Also: Paladins are any good.
    Monks don't have to be Lawful.
    Antipaladins are any evil. (Why you'd want to play one in a game about killing DEMONS is beyond me)

Also, please, no evil. Well, let me put it this way: You can be evil, but you have to be willing to work for the group. You'll have to provide an example of you character not being Stupid Evil in your backstory.
    No Chaotic Evil, nor Chaotic stupid.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Just don't make it too complicated, all right?

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You roll your rolls on the thread, I'll roll them either on the thread or in person.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    All right, here's the big one:
    -I will be allowing all Base-Class fixes by T.G. Oskar (Excepting the Zealot, as I have no experience with Incarnum), In addition to his Arcane Archer, Assassin, and Mystic Theurge.
    -Some homebrew is allowed on request. However, you can have no more than two homebrew classes. (This does not include fixes to classes)
    -I will be allowing DSP Psionics, as I do have some experience with it via another player in a game I'm playing in.
    -Anything by me is allowed, and in fact I encourage you to play them, or at least have a look.
    -No leadership shenanigans, please. You can take it, but you don't get a companion, just your fans.
    -I feel that there is something else that I'm forgetting, so if I remember I'll make a post and put it here.
    -Magic/Psionics transperancy-I'll be fairly lenient on rules, if it makes sense.
    -In any case where your race would cause you to have more than four RHD, take the extra RHD off and fill them with a different class.
    -Fractional BAB and saves.
    -No Incarnum
    -No Truenaming

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Yes. Hopefully, I'll have some background info up soon, so you can do it then.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    I hope to have some of all.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Anything Paizo-approved, plus some 3.5 and homebrew on request. Look up at #13.
    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2015-04-08 at 09:24 PM.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Gates of Hell (OOC)

Greetings, one and all! I shall be your Wizard/Cleric for the coming game, and the backup Bard in case Arcantos fluffs a Perform check :) Just don't let me get into Melee, Nustrilaa is hilariously useless at it.

I shall have Nustrilaa speak in Fire Brick.

Oh, and her 'new' sheet is here, Mousedigits. You may want to switch the link in the OP over.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hello, fellow heroes. Phenik works best as a heavy melee-er. He can also work as a secondary scout, when needed, and seeing as he's the only nature oriented player, can be the animal-friend and tracker.

He will speak in Golden Rod.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Oh, and her 'new' sheet is here, Mousedigits. You may want to switch the link in the OP over.
    Noted and changed.
    Extended Signature

Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Zoshgaret is there to support physical combat although he still can blow things up if necessary. I shall pick Emerald Green.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2015-04-09 at 03:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    He will speak in Golden Rod.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

You don't like Golden Rod?
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Goblin

Xaron will be talking in Navy.
    Lets have a fun game, everyone.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    You don't like Golden Rod?
    I wanted it myself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Oh, sorry.
    Show

Town Square execution.

11. - Top - End - #11

Its fine. I'm gonna take Bold Teal
    Last edited by Tempestfury; 2015-04-09 at 12:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Stupid obsessive overeagerness.*

Edit: I was referring to myself.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2015-04-12 at 08:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, guys, sorry if some things seem poorly written out/inconsistent. I'm mostly coming up with this as I go.
    Extended Signature

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The thought occurs that Nustrilaa will probably end up having a heart attack when she finds out Xaron is actually smarter than she is...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Goblin

He has unimpressive Wisdom score, through....

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Goblin

Okay, lets see how lucky my character is
    Knowledge History (1d20+17)[33]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Anyone who can't make the DCs can just ask Nustrilaa - she can hit the DC for the innermost spoiler without having to roll (as she's got enough levels in Bard to take 10 on Knowledge checks).

18. - Top - End - #18

So what, you've got a Knowledge check of +35? Really? That seems a little... excessive. How do you get that?

Also, as these are gods... would Bardic Lore apply? I'm pretty sure it would.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

High Int (+8), class skill (+3), full ranks in Kn. Religion (+16), Bardic Knowledge (the Pathfinder version - +8) and Breadth of Knowledge (the Pathfinder equivalent to a Cloistered Cleric's Lore ability - +8).

Total Mod for Kn. Religion: +43.

20. - Top - End - #20

Hmmm... alright fair enough. Mine is only 18 (+7 from int, +3 from trained, +1 ranks, +7 from bardic knack), but if its Bardic Lore... well, the bonus for that is 16 (Level) + 7 (Int) +2 (History Synergy) for a total of +25. The only question is... does Bardic Lore count as an different check, and thus I'm stuck with only 25... or does it count as an addition to my knowledge checks, giving me a total of 43 as well?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

...uh, I don't think it works that way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Lore and Knowledge are separate mods, then don't you just make both rolls separately? So Bardic Lore would give you a third chance to peek at the spoilers at +25, it wouldn't change or replace your actual Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (History) checks...

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    ...uh, I don't think it works that way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Lore and Knowledge are separate mods, then don't you just make both rolls separately? So Bardic Lore would give you a third chance to peek at the spoilers at +25, it wouldn't change or replace your actual Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (History) checks...

Have a look yourself.

A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to his bard level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the bard has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), he gains a +2 bonus on this check.)
    The Lore isn't a separate mod, but a bonus... which to me, says that no. I don't make both rolls separately, but instead add it to the actual knowledge check I am making. However, it can see how it can be interrupted differently, hence why I asked for the DM's opinion on the fact and brought it up in here as discussion.

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Man On Fire, I just wnt to say you're doing a wonderful job, I hate Xaron already.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post

The Lore isn't a separate mod, but a bonus... which to me, says that no. I don't make both rolls separately, but instead add it to the actual knowledge check I am making. However, it can see how it can be interrupted differently, hence why I asked for the DM's opinion on the fact and brought it up in here as discussion.
    Hrrm, well... I feel inclined to say it is a seperate check, in part because of the fact that it doesn't reference the Knowledge skill, and because it says a "special bardic knowledge check" as opposed to a "Knowledge skill check with a bonus."

But, yes, Bardic Lore would apply to the check.
    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2015-04-14 at 04:45 PM.
    Extended Signature

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

... *Sigh* Fiiiiine...

I'll completely ignore the class feature and an essential part of the bard's identity then, as I have a higher modifier for my History Checks...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Honestly, I'd roll both History and Bardic Knowledge. After all, you may well know a legend about them even if they didn't turn up in your actual study of history...

In the spirit of Bardic Unity, allow me to quote part of the Bardic Knowledge Results Table from the 3.5 SRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC 25
    Obscure, known by few, hard to come by.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC 30
    Extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who donít understand the significance of the knowledge.
    I would argue that the contents of the IC spoilers would probably go outermost spoiler into DC 25 and the inner spoilers into DC 30. Either way, a 3.5 Bard can probably hit those spoilers at a much lower target DC than someone doing a standard Knowledge check. Of course, it makes little difference to me, since I'm playing with the Pathfinder Bard and so don't get that version of Bardic Knowledge.

And on a side note: My explanation for how Nustrilaa knows the contents of those spoilers is a simple 'Her grandparents told her'. Going by standard elven lifespans, Nustrilaa (born in the year 523) would have grown up as the first generation elves were dying off (elven death of old age coming at somewhere between 354 and 750 years), so she's one of the last mortals to have gotten to speak to the original generation...

And on a completely different side note: Nustrilaa's been an active bard for approximately 450 years. Which is a not-inconsiderable chunk of time for people living on a planet that's yet to reach 1100. By this point, she's probably showing up in Bardic Knowledge checks herself!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Rendel Nep View Post
    Man On Fire, I just wnt to say you're doing a wonderful job, I hate Xaron already.
    Wait until you see how he is going to act in combat, I'm going to try to channel a bit more Renegade.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

Just changed my response to something more fitting.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Is Zoshgaret the only other PC with an opinion on what we should do for camp?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Goblin

I think we can just do the mansion and skip to later.