Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2015

    Default 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    My Fighter/warlock (I want heavy armour due to a human warrior-nobility-raised background i'm writing) is also a half-orc. My first level is going to be fighter, with the great weapon fighting style feeling like the right way to go. Both great sword and axe feel right background/race concept wise, so I figured pick the most mathematically effective. I'm no good at this sort of stuff really, so any advice please?

    The way I see it, half-orc racial works best with great axe, but the fighting style works best with the great sword. Perhaps something in the future from warlock will favour a weapon, im not sure.

    Thanks for taking an interest:)

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    . Shadowblade .'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    well, brutal Greataxe for brutal half-orc - it depends on your DM whether you will get Greatsword or Greataxe as your 1st magic 2-handed weapon anyway

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    Quote Originally Posted by drspper1 View Post
    My Fighter/warlock (I want heavy armour due to a human warrior-nobility-raised background i'm writing) is also a half-orc. My first level is going to be fighter, with the great weapon fighting style feeling like the right way to go. Both great sword and axe feel right background/race concept wise, so I figured pick the most mathematically effective. I'm no good at this sort of stuff really, so any advice please?

    The way I see it, half-orc racial works best with great axe, but the fighting style works best with the great sword. Perhaps something in the future from warlock will favour a weapon, im not sure.

    Thanks for taking an interest:)
    Assuming hitting on an 11.

    0.45(2d6+1.33)+0.05(5d6+2.66+0.66)=4.7895
    0.45(1d12+0.83)+0.05(3d12+2.5)=4.3985

    If you ever get up to level 3 fighter and pick champion it will change to:

    Sword: 5.414
    Greataxe: 5.132

    So sword will always be slightly better.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Aland islands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoarsHalberd View Post
    Assuming hitting on an 11.

    0.45(2d6+1.33)+0.05(5d6+2.66+0.66)=4.7895
    0.45(1d12+0.83)+0.05(3d12+2.5)=4.3985

    If you ever get up to level 3 fighter and pick champion it will change to:

    Sword: 5.414
    Greataxe: 5.132

    So sword will always be slightly better.
    Depends on party too, if somebody puts out stuff like hold person and stuff a lot so you get auto crits a great axe could be better. :)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Depends on party too, if somebody puts out stuff like hold person and stuff a lot so you get auto crits a great axe could be better. :)
    yup, but you'd need a LOT of auto crits. There's only a 1.18 damage difference between Greataxe and Greatsword criticals. So you'll need about a 3:1 ratio of normal hits to auto crits or better in order to come out ahead.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Aland islands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoarsHalberd View Post
    yup, but you'd need a LOT of auto crits. There's only a 1.18 damage difference between Greataxe and Greatsword criticals. So you'll need about a 3:1 ratio of normal hits to auto crits or better in order to come out ahead.
    True, but in truth the difference in weapon damage in this edition is so small so I always go
    with what weapon I think fits the concept of my character. :)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    True, but in truth the difference in weapon damage in this edition is so small so I always go
    with what weapon I think fits the concept of my character. :)
    Aye, I'm the same. Just OP asked for the maths of which is better.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2015

    Default Re: 1/2-Orc+great weapon fighting style, great axe or sword?

    Thank you for the great responses! :D
    Last edited by drspper1; 2015-08-24 at 11:34 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •