Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default MtG: YMTC challenge III: Johnny, Timmy or Spike?

Well, we hit 51 pages, so...

Rather than having a weekly contest with many entries and judging and a winner being declared who makes the next contest, instead everyone is a contestant, a judge, and the creator of the next contest all at once!

Each post should contain a short critique of the card made by the poster before them, a card that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

Other contests:
    You Make the Card
    You Make the Mini-Set!

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

As with the other challenges, cards should be submitted in text format, like so:

Card Name Mana Cost
    Type - Subtype Rarity
    Card Text
    Flavor Text
    Power/Toughness

For example:

Giant Spider 3G
    Creature - Spider C
    Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
    "It has a quickness about it that seems unnatural for its large size, yet its hunger is about right."
    —Endril, Kalonian naturalist

2/4

Spoiler: Purple and Idols FAQ, By Jorm
    Show
    Who are You and What did You do to Magic?

We're here to have fun, and having fun includes randomly making new subtypes and/or colours. The reason that this is here is that people keep on asking what they are and how they're supposed to work with them. Idols were designed originally by Fifth Column Games in their game War of Omens, and Purple was due to show up in Planar Chaos but never did. I grabbed both of these into Magic as it currently stands, and some people picked up on them.

This FAQ is to explain what exactly happens when someone's talking about "Purple" or something has the "Idol" subtype without you having a clue what that means.

Idols are probably something that Wizards can do - the idea is similar to Shrines, which happened - but purple is right up there with half-values on the Storm scale, and only half a point down from the eponymous defunct keyword. Challenges which require idols should be fine, but challenges shouldn't require purple, or at least should offer a let-out if you don't like it.

Idols and purple have their own sets and backstory which feature in some of the explanations below.

What's an Idol?

Styx Idol by Aisu Isme

An idol is one of many shrines, icons or holy objects (including weapons and animated constructs) that fell from the Otherworld due to the actions of Speaker Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan. They are all spiritually interlinked, and a prayer to one would call out to all nearby.

Mechanically, an idol has the following characteristics (These are the defining characteristics, these are more mutable):

• It is an ARTIFACT with the IDOL subtype.
    • It is COLOURLESS but uses COLORED mana for its ACTIVATED ABILTITY.
    • It has "CCT: Energise each idol you control," where C are coloured mana. They may both be the same colours or different colours; they might be purple.
    • It has "When you energise ~, do something."
    • It might be a creature, equipment or fortification.

For example:

Idol of Life 1
    Artifact - Idol C
    WWT: Energise each idol you control.
    When you energise idol of life, you gain 2 life.

What About purple?

Purple by Edux

There was, originally, going to be a set with purple in it, which represented a sort of otherworldly, unnatural force. This never actually ended up happening, but the idea stuck with me. The basic land for purple was either going to be cave or city; I chose city, as it fit with Purple's unnatural, and yet all too close to home, theme.

Purple is the third colour of mana, after blue but before black - the new order is WUPBRG. The basic land for purple is City. Cities are basic lands but city isn't a basic land type; purple is a colour but purple isn't one of The Colours Of Magic. This means the following (Coalition Victory and Transguild Courier are the more interesting ones, the others act the same way they would with white)

All is Dust: Destroys purple permanents.
    Alloy Golem: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response and the golem can become purple.
    Brave the Elements: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response. "Protection from purple" is a valid ability.
    Coalition Victory: Checks to see if you control a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain, a forest, a white creature, a blue creature, a black creature, a red creature and a green creature. It doesn't care whether or not you have a city or a purple creature. If you have a red and purple creature, Coalition Victory sees a red creature. If you have a swamp city, it registers as a swamp.
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn: Has protection from purple permanents.
    Transguild Courier: Isn't purple. It would need to say "All colours, and purple." I know that doesn't sound as though it makes sense, but it does.

What is Purple as a Personality Type?

Purple Rain by Joe Maccer

My colour is purple. I value individuality and thought, I value justice and personal benefit, I value natural and mechanical. I take what I see as the best aspects of the world out of their context, and live it to the full, but also stand by my own way of thinking with utter disregard for the opinions of others. At my best, I am innovative and a maverick. At my worst, I am debased and an outcast. Nominally, my ally colours are blue and black, and my enemy colours are green and, to a lesser extent white and red, but in reality, I could be anyone's ally and my own worst enemy.

I am purple and white. I value personal discipline and excellence. I am a natural-born leader, and work to defeat tyrannical rulers and follow my dreams, helping others whenever I can. At my best, I am charitable and inspiring. At my worst, I am proselytising and over-zealous.

I am purple and blue. I enjoy escaping to my own company and thinking about the things of this world. I am so much better at considering things I can't see than other people that sometimes people ask whether or not I am real. At my best, I am intellectual and honest. At my worst, I am pedantic and unrealistic.

I am purple and black. I am an individualist to the extreme, believing my way of doing things to be objectively correct. I get things done at an alarming rate, ignoring anyone who thinks they know better than me. At my best, I am efficient and self-sufficient. At my worst I am over-proud and egocentric.

I am purple and red. I am loud and boisterous, and prepared to go with any scheme even without support. I am usually maniacal about something, and love being free from what the rest of the world things. At my best I am independent and confident. At my worst I am destructive and hot-headed.

I am purple and green. I can lose myself in the wilds easily, and much prefer the company of the outdoors to the company of humans, though I'm not averse to taking very close friends along with me. At my best I am carefree and impassive, at my worst I am reserved and distant.

What does Purple do Mechanically? What About the Colour Combinations?

Purple does quite a lot of things, actually!

The Cards are Made Up and the Rules Don't Matter

Keep Calm and Screw the Rules by Slamtackle

"This card has flying!" "No it doesn't." "You can't bring cards back from exile!" "Oh yes I can!" "Wait, it's a sorcery and a planeswalker at the same time?" "Well, no, not the same time. It's a flip card." "EXILE TARGET LIBRARY?" "Teehee~"

There are lots of things that don't happen in magic. Things don't move about between permanent and non-permanent. Things don't eat up people's abilities like cotton candy. You don't exile entire libraries. But then, whoever heard of "Protection from everything" or a spell that repeats itself each upkeep but nigh-on bans you from playing the game? Well, Progenitus and Epic would like to say hi. Strange corners of Magic which could be visited but aren't suddenly see the light. Be inspired!

Examples:

Quijuk Acolyte 1WP
    Creature - Human wizard R
    1WPT, exile Quijuk Acolyte: Revivify target card. (Return a card in exile to your hand)
    1/2

Quijuk Tranquil W/P
    Creature - Human Monk C
    Silenced (Quijuk Tranquil loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced).
    People say they have no emotions. All we know is that they're the ones the Quijuk allow to leave, and they're the ones who've never wanted to return.

1/1

Card Wars: The Johnny Strikes Back

Throw Your Cards Down by Tempasta

"So then I play Crescendo, but because I cast another spell this turn, it does four damage instead of two but because I have a card with Flamestorm 1 that does another 1 damage, and it triggers Perpetual Motion so I draw a card, and then I cast Otherworld Lance, but I have a card with Accelerate so I only pay RP for it, and it does another point of damage, then I draw another card. I use Dust to Dust, draw another card with Perpetual Motion, and that exiles my graveyard, which means I use Otherworld Lance's Otherworlder cost to cast it again from exile, which does an extra point of damage from having Flamestorm, and Perpetual Motion draws another card. Okay, now it's your turn."

No-one does weenie instants or sorceries with much conviction, because they have to cantrip, and most of weenie effectiveness relies on synergy and anthems, which don't work as well with non-permanents. Solution: Have anthems which affect the spells that you cast, and have spells which synergise with other spell casts, in a sort of storm-esque way without bringing back Storm itself.

Examples:
    Perpetual Motion 4UP
    Enchantment - R
    When you cast a spell, draw a card.

Waize Flameholder 2PR
    Creature - Human Mage U
    Flamestorm 1 (When a source you control would deal non-combat damage, it deals 1 more damage)
    3/3

Crescendo 1PR
    Sorcery U
    Crescendo deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    Second Wind - Crescendo deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead if you've cast another spell this turn.

Exile!

The Exile by Lostknightkg

The exile zone is meant to be a kind of super-graveyard for cards that never come back. AWOL highlights what happened to that idea. Now, purple capitalises on the exile zone, chucking entire graveyards in and pulling them back onto the battlefield with reckless abandon.

Examples:

Otherworldly Power 4PP
    Sorcery - R
    Otherworldly power deals X damage divided as you wish between any number of creatures and players and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards in exile.
    They may be in a better place, but they are no worse magi for that.

Void Dance 1P
    Sorcery - U
    Exile any number of target permanents you own.
    What was ours once will be ours forever.

Seek and Destroy P
    Sorcery - C
    Draw a card.
    Search your library for a card and exile it. Then shuffle your library.
    To the Otherworld! Go!

Guild Abilities

Purgators P
    Mechanics: Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it), Otherworlder {Cost} (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for {Cost})

House Quijuk WP
    Mechanics: Silenced (This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced), Revivify (Return target card from exile to your hand)

House Kasstar UP
    Mechanics: Warpstrike {cost} (When ~ becomes blocked you may pay {cost}. If you do, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield under your control, tapped and attacking.), Shift (Whenever ~ is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)

House Zelb PB
    Mechanics: Isolation (Spells and abilities which effect "all" or "each" do not effect this card),
    Outcast (Permanents with outcast cannot be exiled)

House Waize PR
    Mechanics: Flamestorm X (When a spell you control would deal noncombat damage, it deals X more instead), Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, do X.

House Gidai PG
    Mechanics: Lock In (Target a card and remember what card it is); Paragon If X has the highest power among creatures you control, [effect].

Clan Trostan WPR
    Mechanics: Standalone - If you control no (other) creatures, [effect]; Substitute - If there are no valid targets/you can't/no Xs are Yed in this way, [effect].

Veldan UPB
    Mechanics: Conversion {Cost} (Cost, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~. If applicable, X is equal to the CMC of that spell); One Eye Open - When you draw a card, do X.

What's the Story Behind These Anyway?

Until recently, nobody had ever heard of Purple mana. How could a city, a congregation of humans who utterly destroy the land on which they live without reverence or care, be a source of mana? And yet, it was this very same left-fieldness, the selfsame strangeness, that led Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan, to be able to draw mana from it. She realised that the power of mana on Veldan was being channeled through the creations of the people themselves.

However, Trianna's meddling did not go without consequence. Transplanar Rifts, which allowed anyone or anything to travel through, came between any plane that Trianna had visited and the planes where purple mana was more easily accessible. These rifts appeared first around the places of power, the idols, which were sucked through into the realms she had visited.

And so idols began to appear in Innistrad, Ravinica, Tarkir and Veldan. Preachers stood at the strange structures, praying for a miracle that would deliver them from their enemies. Guilds harnessed the idols' powers to wage war on another front. Clans guarded the idols as though they were sacred. And Trianna put her head in her hands and moaned.

It got worse. The purple guilds wanted their idols back. The Quijuk, responsible for ensuring morals more than law, tried to steal back their idols with minimal loss of life. The quiet and reserved Kasstar, known for their eminent dishonour, took similar tactics, while the psychotic sociopaths of house Zelb killed anyone who got in their way, where as the enraged and flagrant house Waize burned entire buildings to get what they wanted. The Gidai, masters of the hunt, assassinated anyone and everyone to return the idols of the gods. Ravinica was under assault and half of them didn't even know it.

More obvious were the Trostan clan, who ravaged across the wastes of Tarkir defying any and all to oppose them. Purgators, strange mockeries of what it means to be a free being, fought with angel and demon alike across Innistrad. And then, Trianna decided to move in, just to add to the confusion. Nobody was quite sure who was fighting whom, but Trianna was determined to stop them.

Are There Going to be Sets for These?
    Yes.

I have no idea what I'm actually calling these, but they get development codenames because they do. Yes, I might actually write them all up because I'm that crazy.

Yellow: In which idols are introduced - artifact themed set. Details the story of the idols appearing; limited purple in the form of mono-purple as Purgators invade Innistrad.
    Magenta: In which purple people invade Ravinica. Lots of use of guild abilities.
    Cyan: Where Trostan and Veldan lay their scene. Involves three-colour purple, and lots of things cantrip or cause each other to cantrip. (Might keyword cantrip?)

The idea of the set is "Playing Magic in a different way" - Artifact decks and Everything is Cantrips allow you to take a break from creatures and makes card advantage odd, Trostan's change-the-mana-cost abilities radically change the game dynamic, and purple is... well, purple!

Note that you do not have to, and in fact should not, make challenges with Purple. If you do decide to (or challenge with any other non-official mechanic), it is a good idea to make another option. For example, you could say "Make a purple card, or make a card that interacts with exile".

And, to respond to the previous challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    Spawn Adds X
    Instant- R
    Choose a creature.
    Place X creature tokens into the field that share it's color and type, with Power and Toughness equal to the chosen creature's Power and toughness minus 1
    "Spawn more Adds!"

Challenge; Make a video game themed card
    Even if you only have, say, a 2/2 on the board, X colorless for X 1/1s is pretty strong. Anything more than that, and this is probably overpowered. This needs a heavy nerf, but I'm not sure where to put it, since the idea itself is hard to balance. Maybe something with Strive?

Muradin 2WUR
    Legendary Creature - Dwarf Warrior R
    Vigilance
    UR, T, discard a card - Deal 3 damage to target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
    WR, T, discard a card - ~ gets +2/+3 and First Strike until end of turn.
    WU, T, discard a card - Return target creature to its owner's hand. If it has toughness 2 or less, destroy it instead.
    3/4

Challenge: Something else that can spellshape (cost, T, discard a card - effect).
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-11-19 at 11:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge III: Johnny, Timmy or Spike?

Cards that have tons of abilities always make me antsy, but I suppose they're not a deal breaker if they're done well enough, and the abilities fit into a cohesive whole. So let's examine this to see if it works.
    Vigilance - Enables you to attack and spellshape in the same round. Okay.
    UR - 3 damage should be enough to kill most things, so the second part is usually redundant. I suppose it could work, but I'm not fond of it. This is also two abilities in one, which brings the total number of abilities to five.
    RW: An asymmetrical P/T boost that also gives first strike. Why? The goal of first strike is to not get hit, and increasing toughness along with that is redundant.
    UW: This is also two abilities in one, which brings the total number of abilities in six. It also plays exactly the same role as the first ability, so is redundant.
    I think this card's design fails to justify its glut of abilities, for the reasons stated above.

Information Matrix 3
    Artifact (U)
    1, T, Discard a card: Draw a card.

Next: A mythic rare with a single ability.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2015-04-19 at 10:37 PM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Nice, standard and simple. Me like.

Final Horror 2BRG
    Legendary Creature- Horror MR
    Devour X, where X is the number of creatures devoured this way (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it for each of those creatures.)
    "It just ate everything...."
    0/0

Challenge; Another Horror
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2015-04-19 at 10:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That card already exist, albait without black.

Phyrexian Tormenter - 2BB
    Creature - Horror - R
    Intimidate
    Whenever an opponent discards a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Phyrexian Tormenter.
    3/2

Something else Phyrexian.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

For a build around me card, I feel that you could have made it much more . . . wow worthy? A single +1/+1 counter on a four mana creature with a starting power of 3 that requires at least another card and mana investment doesn't seem that great.

Perfected Spy [B/P][U/P]
    Artifact Creature - Rogue C
    ([B/P] can be paid with either [B] or 2 life. [U/P] can be paid with either [U] or 2 life. )
    Whenever Perfected Spy deals combat damage to a player you may look at the top card of that player's library. You may put that card into that player's graveyard.
    Phyrexian's infiltrated all the guilds. . . but the Dimir were a favorite.
    1/1

Create another Phrexian/Guild card
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2015-04-20 at 10:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, it's really good when you don't care too much about your life total. Weirdly enough, this could be reasonable in more aggressive decks, since it makes it harder for your opponent to get recovery cards. And you can play it turn 1 with Goblin Guide! Still, low P/T and reasonably low impact ability puts it in the "where would I actually play this?" zone. I like it

Simic Compleation (U/P)(G/P)
    Instant - U
    Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature, then put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature.

Yeah, it's both counters, which is frowned upon, but I like it If you don't like it, I guess it could be temporary +2 and -2... eh, that might be too strong. +3 and -3 at 1 more cost?

Challenge: Another multicolored instant.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-04-20 at 11:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

Eh, a decent enough buff and debuff.

Essence Theft (U/B)(U/B)(U/B)
    Instant R
    Counter target spell and chose one; Target creature gains two +1/+1 counters, or gain 2 life.
    Entwine BU

Challenge; Create another Multicolored card

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Pretty powerful. Counterspells for UU don't exist any more, and off-colour cards should probably cost more (so you should have to pony up, say, 3BB to counter a spell in black if you should even be able to do it at all). I don't see how gain 2 life (W) or put two +1/+1 counters on target creature (W/G) comes into it.

Holy Immolator 2WR
    Creature - Human Cleric U
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink.
    2/4

Spoiler
    Show
    Unnatural Immolator 2PR
    Creature - Human Witch U
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have arc-judgement (Whenever a creature that took damage from them this turn dies, exile it. Arc-keywords work for noncombat damage.)
    3/3

Unholy Immolator 2BR
    Creature - Human Cultist U
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have infect.
    4/2

Natural Immolator 2RG
    Creature - Human Druid U
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have arc-trample (Arc-keywords work for noncombat damage.)
    3/3

Next: Something else that would fit in a cycle.

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

While black normally goes for "Deal X damage and Gain X life" or "Give X -1/-1 counters and Gain X +1/+1 counters" thought why not add it on a dimir sort of counter card?

As for the Holy Immolator? Damn, that thing would be awesome in a direct damage deck

Primal Horror 4GR
    Creature- Beast MR
    6GR; Monstrosity 5 (If this creature isn't monstrous, place 5 +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous)
    Tribute 5 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place five +1/+1 counters on it.)
    As long as ~ is Monstrous, ~ has Trample and First Strike
    If Tribute was not paid, ~ has Hexproof and Indestructible
    5/5

Challenge; Something with Monstrosity or Tribute
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2015-04-20 at 02:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

For 6 mana a 5/5 indistructable hexproof or a 10/10 is too strong, the monstrosity ability seems fine though

Undersea Sage King 4UU
    Creature - Wizard Merfolk - R
    Islandwalk
    Tribute 4 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place four +1/+1 counters on it.)
    If tribute was not paid draw 3 cards
    1/2

Something that gets you card advantage
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

A decent enough card, either a 5/6 or a mans to draw three cards, pretty nice in a blue deck.

Deepheart Seer 3RU
    Creature- Dwarf Wizard R
    When you draw a card, you may reveal it. If you do, Scry X, where X is the revealed cards converted mana cost.
    When you cast an instant or sorcery, you may pay UURR. If you do so, Fateseal 4
    UURR- Target Player draws or Discards a card.
    1/4

Challenge; Another Wizard

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Repeatable Fateseal 4 and One Eye Open scry for the card's CMC basically mean that you control both players' decks for the entirety of the rest of the game. And that's terrible.

Fatal Seer U(P/B)
    Creature - Human Wizard C
    One Eye Open - When you draw a card, each opponent exiles the top card of their library.
    1/2

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellsmasher URG
    Creature - Human Wizard C
    When you counter a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Spellsmasher.
    3/3

Next: Another three-colour common.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, it's alright. Without a set of exile interactions to work with, that's the most I can say, though I suppose in a sort of mill deck it could get its value's worth.

Kol's Diplomat 1(R/G)U
    Creature - Human C
    Whenever you flip a coin, target creature's power becomes 4 until end of turn.
    Kol saw no reason why both him and the Temur could not benefit from his power.
    2/2

Or if that's too complicated,

Temur Trapper 1(U/R)G
    Creature - Human Warrior C
    Morph 1G
    4/1

Challenge: Something with wings that can't fly, or something without wings that can. Bonus points for both, somehow

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

It's an interesting idea, but coin flip mechanics are not very common, so it would have little effect

Crippled Cannon Fairy RU
    Creature - Fairy - U
    RU:~ gains +2/-1 and flying until end of turn, sacrifice ~ at the end of turn
    2/2

Make something black, with a CMC greater than 4
    Last edited by braveheart; 2015-04-20 at 06:29 PM.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

The idea of a fairy who turns to cannons as a solution to his broken wings is somewhere between funny and actually kind of horrifying. Though it's about right in terms of expense, I feel like this should be mono-red; it doesn't need blue to have flying, and the sacrifice effect is a very red plan.

Monumental Undertaking 4BB
    Enchantment - MR
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 60 or more cards in your graveyard, you win the game.

Challenge! A robot bunny. Make it happen.
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, it could work I have a golgari self-mill deck that actually gets close to that point fairly frequently, and since it runs four Commune with Gods, it's actually not all that bad... hm. Could be reasonable, but I doubt it'd be overpowered. Very Johnny

Laser Lagomorph 5
    Artifact Creature - Robot Rabbit U
    (2/R)(2/U), T, Discard a card: ~ deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
    "Trespasser detected. Termination commencing."
    3/3

Challenge: Something else that uses (2/_) (e.g. Reaper King).
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-04-20 at 08:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Pretty good, but I think it should be a spellshaper. And for a flame javelin, the price is a little low, but it's attached to a pricey body, so it's probably not that serious.

Flank Attack {2/R}{2/W}{2/W}
    Instant; R

Kicker {2/R}
    Cast Flank Attack only at the beginning of your declare attackers step.
    Put a Soldier, Knight or Warrior creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
    If the kicker cost was paid, creatures you control get +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn.

Next: A hydra or a huge elemental.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

With that and Preeminent Captain, it seems fairly easy to make a R/W soldier-cheating-in deck, with big stuff like Captain of the Watch or Agrus Kos. It'd be very good with just the base WWR cost, and the kicker and flexibility is very significant, so this might be somewhat too strong. Then again, the antisynergy with First Strike and playing before blockers is also pretty notable, so... Eh, it's pretty close. Regardless, pretty cool

Lord of the Maelstrom 6URG
    Creature - Elemental MR
    Whenever ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead shuffle it into your library.
    At the end of your turn, if you didn't Cascade that turn, put three -1/-1 counters on ~.
    Spells you cast from your hand have Cascade.
    13/13

Challenge: Something else with the number 13, or something else with Cascade on it somewhere.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-04-20 at 11:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be more keen to make his ability only work on instants and sorceries, though I guess there are a ton of creatures with Cascade anyway. I'm glad that you put on the anti-zombification thing, but the fact remains that this guy's sheer size makes its otherwise interesting ability... well, less interesting. What do you even need other spells for at that point? Are you just digging to cascade into something that gives him trample? The -1/-1 counters seem like they're trying to offset this, but they barely matter if he cascade-triggers off of permanents and spells alike, and even if you have nothing, he'll still either end the game in a couple turns or get removed anyway.

Scrape Something Together 13U
    Sorcery - R
    Delve (Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for 1.)
    Cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order.)
    Draw a card.

Challenge! A 1-drop. (That is to say, a card that costs 1 mana to cast, and which would often be reasonable to actually play on turn 1.)
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2015-04-21 at 12:45 AM.
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Huh. Pretty cool! With a bit of Scry this could be quite powerful, and it's a very crafty way of fulfilling the challenge. I like it, even if it probably doesn't hit quite the right power level, and honestly I get the feeling this would cost something more reasonable if I didn't make 13 the challenge.

And yeah, I only made my guy so big because of the challenge: If it weren't for that, he'd probably be... 5/8 without drawback, maybe? If only to beat Maelstrom Wanderer

Sprout Growth G
    Instant - U
    Choose one:
    -Put a 1/1 Saproling onto the battlefield.
    -Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
    -Search your library for a forest and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

Challenge: Another cheap modal card - bonus points for CMC 1, or heck, even CMC 0.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-04-21 at 01:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The powerlevel seems right, though I'm not sure if this fulfills the one drop challange, since you rarely want to just slam a 1/1 into play, though I guess you could find a forest.

Magma Charm - 0
    Instant - U
    Cast Magma Charm only if you control a mountain.
    Choose one:
    * Deal 1 damage to target creature.
    * Destroy target artifact with a converted manacost 2 or less.
    * Draw a card, then discard a card.

Continue the Cycle.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Because it requires a mountain, it should be red and you should probably discard before you draw, otherwise it seems appropriate

Aqua Carm 0
    Instant-U
    ~ is blue
    Cast ~ only if you control an island
    Choose 1
    -target creature with power 2 or less gains flying until end of turn
    -tap target creature with toughness 2 or less
    -draw a card then discard a card

I like this cycles idea so keep it going in B, W, or G

HAVE FUN

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You are right about the spell being colored, though color indicators are used now a days. With the red having looting the blue should perhaps have scry 2 or something instead. I think flying is fine without the power restriction and tap is fine without the toughness restriction. Also it has two abilities that makes your creatures more evasive, it should probably only have one.

Light Charm - 0
    (White) Instant - U
    Cast Light Charm only if you control a Plains
    Choose one:
    *Target creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
    *Exile target enchantment with converted mana cost 2 or less .
    *Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.

The black or green charm
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Hmm. Not sure I like being able to nope a shock when you're tapped out. Exiling little enchantments isn't going to come up too often, and lifelink might be useful later in the game, so those are fine.

Dark Charm 0
    Instant U (B)
    Cast Dark Charm only if you control a swamp.
    Choose one:
    - Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
    - Scry 1, draw a card and you lose 3 life.
    - Target creature has intimidate until end of turn.

Sylvan Charm 0
    Instant U (G)
    Cast Sylvan Charm only if you control a forest.
    Choose one:
    - Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
    - Put a 1/1 green squirrel creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
    - Target creature gets trample until end of turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Urban Charm 0
    Instant U (P)
    Cast Urban Charm only if you control a city.
    Choose one:
    - Target creature gets judgement until end of turn.
    - Exile the top card of target library.
    - Return target card from exile to its owner's graveyard.

Next: Removal on a permanent.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

-2/-0 is a blue ability, not black. The draw would be cleaner, and still good enough compared to street wraith and gitaxian probe, without the scry. I think an instant speed non artifact memnite might have been okay if that was the only thing the card did, as is it should probably be a 0/1 plant.

Sigil of Arrest - 2UW
    Enchantment - M
    Sigil of Arrest enters the battlefield tapped.
    1UW,T: Exile target nonland permanent. Return Sigil of Arrest to it’s owners hand.

Another enchantment that taps itself.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2015-04-21 at 07:41 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I thought non-creature non-artifact enchantments just didn't tap? The only two that do were both printed in Future Sight, which speaks a lot about the chance of it happening now. Seems a bit of an odd card and challenge for you specifically to make.

Anyway, repeatable exile that doesn't cost cards, but does cost 3WWUU? Well, you probably don't have 3WWUU lying about on your average day, so there's that. Honestly, I'd be disappointed to open this as a mythic.

Scarab of Khalesh 3BBB
    Artifact Enchantment - R
    Creatures you control have intimidate.
    XXBB, T: Creatures you don't control get -X/-X until end of turn.

Next: A god from an Egyptian-themed pantheon. Could be this guy.

27. - Top - End - #27

OldWizardGuy

A very decent scarab, that could have been seen in some occult circles.

Hat'esh 4GW
    Legendary Enchantment Creature- God MR
    Indestructible, Protection from Red
    As long as your Devotion to Green and White is less then 7, ~ is not a creature.
    Landfall- Populate
    XGW, T- Place X 1/1 Green Plant Spirit tokens with "Sacrifice, T- Gain 1 life, or target creature has Absorb 1 until the end of the turn" into play.
    "He who causes the river to rise, and the fields to brig forth an abundance of bounty, he who protects against the red sands. Glory be to his name."
    3/6

Also, while a Green/White might be odd for an Egyptian themed deity, he is a fertility based one based around a river. Still, while he could be blue, I see him more in the fact that he brings new life, then a strictly water based deity.

Challenge; Another god
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2015-04-21 at 10:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Absorb isn't used much any more, and the formatting is a bit off, but it seems fine otherwise. You could have it just prevent the next 1 point of damage that would be dealt to that creature this turn instead, which will usually be the same thing.

Khalesh, The Flame that Burns Worlds 3BBRR
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to black and to red is less than 9, Khalesh isn't a creature.
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have deathtouch.
    7/4

Next: Another member of this pantheon.

29. - Top - End - #29

OldWizardGuy

Pretty good for a damage deck, and can see him pulling out a lot of use.

Hurem, Eye of Magic 4UW
    Legendary Enchantment Creature- God MR
    Indestructible, Protection from Black
    As long as your devotion to Blue and Whit is less then 7, ~ is not a creature
    Whenever a nontoken creature enters play, Scry 2
    X, T- Choose a color. X creatures or players gain protection against the chosen color until the end of the turn.
    "Mistress of magic, she who divines the future and wards against the magic of our enemies. Praise her."
    4/4

Challenge; Lets go with another member of the pantheon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The first ability is totally fine, but the second ability is surprisingly strong. Remember that protection gives evasion, avoids removal, cancels effects (e.g. using that against Electrolyze not only protects but also cancels the draw and any damage to other targets), and allows safe blocks. That ability should probably cost more, maybe XW or XWU.

Hapi-Ankh, Who Holds Gods 3RG
    Enchantment Creature - God MR
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to red and to green is less than 7, ~ isn't a creature.
    Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, choose one:
    -Target creature gets +3/+3, Trample and becomes an enchantment creature until end of turn.
    -Creatures you control get +1/+0 and Haste until end of turn.
    6/3

Challenge: Something small. Or, something green.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-04-22 at 08:58 PM.