Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Living in a Fairy Tale

Hi you guys, me again. I'm starting to worry that I'm becoming legit addicted to D&D, because I start to crave a game when there isn't one going on. Now, I may be shooting myself in the foot here because I was the DM for a couple of games that ended about a month ago when some real-life stuff came up, and I hope that doesn't happen again, but it very well might. That being said, I'm thinking this will be a sillier, more lighthearted and less plot-driven game, so people can do more or less as they will.

The premise of the game is fairy tales. Namely, an adventuring party living through many fairy tales with a D&D twist, perhaps to some overarching end but probably not. Think of this as a series of multiple one-shots rather than a longer campaign, I think. This will be a world where fairy tale-esque dealings are the norm (there is an overabundance of castles and royalty, for example) and you aren't an exception, so I'd like each character to fit some kind of fairy tale trope. You could be a Prince Charming Paladin, or the storytelling Bard, or a shifty merchant who would sell a stupid kid three beans for a cow. Put whatever twist on it that you want, the more creative the better, but keep an "idea" in mind when making a character and justify it with your choices. Creativity and flavor are favored over optimization here, because the creatures you face will be unoptimized as well.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

System: D&D 3.5

Player Count: 4-5. I'll probably have a few runner-ups in mind in case anyone drops, so be on the lookout for a PM.

Style of Play: It's a storytelling game, so more roleplay than combat, though in most cases there's likely to be combat within the story. I hope to have some plot happening that you'll then involve yourself in, changing the story, and I'll try to be flexible in reacting to the PCs, while you have to be proactive in taking actions. I won't be dangling plot hooks.

Allowed Content: All WotC 3.5 books, 3.0 material is allowed so long as there isn't a 3.5 update to it, no Dragon Magazine material (Dragon Compendium is fine though) or 3rd party books (except Hyperconscious, I like that one). Dragonlance is similarly off limits, even the campaign setting. No Pathfinder, and really except in the most SENSATIONAL of circumstances no Homebrew. I'll allow material from both Eberron and Faerun when it comes to character creation (Dragonmarks, the Weave, etc) but a lot of the canon of those worlds will be ignored.

Character Creation:
    Backstory: Like I said above, I want your characters to fill some kind of trope or archetype found in fairy tales, because you're characters in the story. Gallant masculine hero, street urchin with a heart of gold, wise old man, plucky young woman, etc. Feel free to be hammy. Also, magic in fairy tales is often uncommon, so a more subtly magical class like the Bard is more readily acceptable than a flashy Sorcerer unless that's in the archetype you're going for. If you do choose a caster, expect your magical prowess to be a big deal.

I'm not going to require any kind of long backstory, but just have a good idea of your character's personality and explain what archetype you're going for. You could even be a villainous type if you wanted, from Gaston to Frollo, but remember that this is a fairy tale world and fairy tale rules apply. Which often include killing the Evil guy just for being Evil.

XP/Wealth: You'll be starting at level 9, with the appropriate WBL of 36,000 gold. I'll allow one free LA, and anything that costs XP in the past (like losing a level if you went Necropolitan or want to be raised from the dead for story reasons, some item creation stuff within reason, etc) can be assumed to have happened long enough ago that you made back the XP by now. No Bloodline levels. Fair warning, I'm fairly iffy about races with LA, so if you're using them, I hope they're flavorful and cool (Drow, Goliath, Catfolk, Thri-Kreen, etc) rather than purely mechanically advantageous (Half-Ogre, Lolth-Touched, etc).

I find keeping track of XP in-game to be troublesome, so I'm going to cop out with the whole 5 gp=1 xp conversion (meaning crafting items just costs 7/10 the shop price rather than 1/2 gold+1/25 XP, and spells that have XP components now require gold to be spent instead. You'll level up at story-based points rather than by battling, probably after each "arc" (or two if it's a short one.)

As a note, wealth that you spend for things in the past that aren't currently affecting you (like paying for a spell or getting raised from the dead) won't be counted against your current wealth, but costs that still have a lingering effect on you (like buying a Permanencied Spell, or the equivalent cost of any magical location) will count against that gold.

Ability Scores: In homage to the group that taught me D&D, this is how the rolls will work. Roll 4d6b3 six times, and then separate from that roll 4d6b3 three more times. At that point, you must decide if you want to keep the first set of rolls, or continue with the second. If you keep the first then discard those last three, if you continue then discard the first six and roll three more times. You're stuck with whichever set you pick. I call this the Riley Reroll, in honor of this guy Riley who came up with it. (If either full set deserves a reroll by PHB standard (negative ability modifier or no score above 12) then you can reroll that without dedicating to it. But you wouldn't know if the second set deserves a reroll until you discard the first roll.)

Skill points are NOT retroactive; if you increased your Int as you leveled up you only get more skill points from that level onward. You'll have to estimate which levels you increase Int or when your character bought a Tome if that comes up.

Hitpoints/Health: Maximum hit points on your first hit die, but then you have to roll as normal after that. No half average or such.

Alignment: I will allow any alignment, but you're going to have to have a plausible reason why you're still in a group, doing what you're doing, if your alignment would suggest otherwise. Like I said, some Evil jerk would be completely at risk of being stabbed in the heart by righteous heroes, and the hero would be praised for it.

Traits/Flaws: I'll allow up to two traits from UA, and I'll allow up to a single flaw but that cannot be any of the ones from UA. You have to invent your own flaw that has some kind of roleplaying and numerical effect which is pertinent in some way to your character, and get me to okay it.

Other Notes: I do intend for this to be a sillier, kind of goofy campaign, so if anyone has suggestions for a story they want to be playing through let me know (preferably by PM so it's not revealed to the rest of the group) and I'll see about working it in. Apart from that, let me know if there's anything else you want to see!

Applications:
    Mahonri Violist's Fátima do Castelo, the Feytouched Fochlucan Lyrist
    Ellowryn's Jazir, the Human Sandshaper
    Book the Hero's Garret, the Human Fighter
    Illven's Holly, the Half-Elf Ruby Knight Vindicator
    Whoiam's Liselle, the Catfolk Telepath
    Logain Ablar's Nemissair, the Catfolk Spellthief
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-05-05 at 01:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Living in a Fairy Tale

*glare* You know, you could have tried reviving some of those old games now you're feeling better. *sniff* Poor Desssria's feeling so lonely in limbo...

So, I dunno what to put forward for this. But my favourite off-the-top-of-the-head ideas are the street urchin (I haven't played a proper rogue in years - too much time spent in Tiers 1 and 2) or 'crazy' prophet (seer/telepath psion? Or maybe my first ever foray into a Wilder? Basically the idea is something like Fiver from Watership Down or River Tam from Firefly (minus the killing skills, obviously). Someone with unexplained mystical mental powers who couldn't ever really fit in with the population because they don't have sufficient control to truly hide them. There's nothing quite like being ostracised solely for possessing the ability to set things on fire with your mind...)

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    *glare* You know, you could have tried reviving some of those old games now you're feeling better. *sniff* Poor Desssria's feeling so lonely in limbo...

So, I dunno what to put forward for this. But my favourite off-the-top-of-the-head ideas are the street urchin (I haven't played a proper rogue in years - too much time spent in Tiers 1 and 2) or 'crazy' prophet (seer/telepath psion? Or maybe my first ever foray into a Wilder? Basically the idea is something like Fiver from Watership Down or River Tam from Firefly (minus the killing skills, obviously). Someone with unexplained mystical mental powers who couldn't ever really fit in with the population because they don't have sufficient control to truly hide them. There's nothing quite like being ostracised solely for possessing the ability to set things on fire with your mind...)
    Haha, I thought about that, but I figured that people were sick of seeing the games I'd recruited and re-recruited trawling on the page.
    Besides, Desssria's not in limbo! That was the planar campaign that went to Limbo!

Interesting initial concepts. Wilder does lend itself nicely to the fearful "I don't know what I'm doing or capable of" protagonist. I never read/saw Watership Down. Isn't that just about a bunch of bunnies that foretell their impending deaths, and then...die? WHO WOULD LIKE THAT?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hm.... Sounds interesting.

As far as deciding what kind of character I'm gonna play, I'm gonna have to explore the depths of TV Tropes to find a character that looks interesting enough to play. Wish me luck!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, not quite. There are definitely some of them still alive by the end of the book. And Fiver was the only one of the (main) rabbits to get visions. The rest had to rely on their rabbity wits to carry them from the jaws of certain doom and into the jaws of almost-certain doom!

Although on a scale of Fiver (sane, but a bit weird, even when not prophesying) to River (insane, but can approach sanity with enough effort), I'm leaning more to the River side. I just like the idea of a character that has such understanding of other people's minds... but cannot for the life of her seem to get her own to operate in the same way.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Well, not quite. There are definitely some of them still alive by the end of the book. And Fiver was the only one of the (main) rabbits to get visions. The rest had to rely on their rabbity wits to carry them from the jaws of certain doom and into the jaws of almost-certain doom!

Although on a scale of Fiver (sane, but a bit weird, even when not prophesying) to River (insane, but can approach sanity with enough effort), I'm leaning more to the River side. I just like the idea of a character that has such understanding of other people's minds... but cannot for the life of her seem to get her own to operate in the same way.
    I would grant you two feats in exchange for the flaw of not being able to control which power you use. That's a Wilder playstyle I've often wanted to see but never had the guts to commit to. You choose a number of power points to spend (and Wild Surge) and then roll randomly between all powers that you could manifest for that cost, augmenting lower level powers if need be. I guess that wouldn't be world-ending as Wilders have so few powers that you have basically a 1/(power level+1) chance to get the power you want if you spend the minimum PP, which works because it makes sense that you'd have an easier time getting the weaker powers but a harder time controlling the stronger ones. It would be amusing though if you're trying to chat with someone using Psionic Tongues and accidentally shoot a Crystal Shard at them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm interested in playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    I would grant you two feats in exchange for the flaw of not being able to control which power you use. That's a Wilder playstyle I've often wanted to see but never had the guts to commit to. You choose a number of power points to spend (and Wild Surge) and then roll randomly between all powers that you could manifest for that cost, augmenting lower level powers if need be. I guess that wouldn't be world-ending as Wilders have so few powers that you have basically a 1/(power level+1) chance to get the power you want if you spend the minimum PP, which works because it makes sense that you'd have an easier time getting the weaker powers but a harder time controlling the stronger ones. It would be amusing though if you're trying to chat with someone using Psionic Tongues and accidentally shoot a Crystal Shard at them.
    I'm going to pass on that one, thank you. Mainly because I can't really see that flaw ending in a way that won't screw over the party (unless I use my limited power selection to pick up a bunch of very similar powers...), however many feats you give me for it.

I'm torn between making her simply out of touch (so she's prone to misunderstanding when it is or is not appropriate to manifest powers unless someone's actively directing her) or giving her impulse control issues (so she has trouble not using a power when she thinks of using a power. For instance, idly daydreaming about setting the boring old scholar's robes on fire can actually manifest an energy ray at him...).

Or both.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems hilarious so i will toss my idea forward. My concept? One of the dwarves from snow white, who many years after helping snow regain her throne had their mine confiscated by the queen and now wanders the land in search of a new home and possibly finding adventure along the way.

Mechanically he will be a Grey Dwarf (the one from the expanded psionics handbook) Barbarian/Fighter. And his name will be Grumpy. And he might just go Frenzied Berserker. Maybe.

Da Rollz!
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]

The Riley roll
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

Also, note to self, sacrificing KFC in a small apartment is not a good idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

A game based on fairy tales sounds incredibly fun. I've even got an idea for a character (since I recently binged on the Erstwhile webcomic). Of course, the hard part is building the character mechanically.

First things, though: In the first post, I couldn't find where you said how frequenly you'll expect us to post. How often?

Also, to get my character idea splattered on the page in words (full of all the random leaps in flow that are inherent with fairy tales!): Once upon a time, there was a princess in a kingdom. He constantly tried to arrange marriages for her with princes from far-off kingdoms. Oh, yes; she could also talk to animals. After turning down the one hundredth suitor, the king grew angry and locked her away in a tower in the middle of a swamp, vowing she would not be let out for seven years. Food and other necessities were brought to the tower.
    Unfortunately, shortly after those seven years began, the kingdom was conquered and the tower in the swamp was forgotten.
    Fortunately, during that time there was a kind witch-fairy living nearby in the swamp who magicked herself into the tower. The witch taught the princess all sorts of things, from stories to some kinds of magic and so on.
    Feeling she deserved better than life as a scullery maid (even though that method is, for some reason, a surefire way to marry a prince), she decided to go around telling the stories she learned from the witch.

I'm thinking, mechanically speaking, either a Bard or a Druid will get my idea across best. Probably a druid, since there's more precedent for a druid's abilities in this type of character. Yes, druid. I'm decided. CN druid.

Well, time to roll stats now.
    edit: You can roll stats in this thread? Wow! Let me try.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-04-20 at 06:36 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #11

Stat rolls:

(4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]

Edit:
    I'm going with the reroll. If I understand it right, I keep these 3 reroll ones, then I roll 3 more, right? I'll roll them over in the Dice Rolls sub-forum and link them to here.
    Edit2: Here
    So that means I've got:
    13, 7, 16, 12, 11, 15. Now, time to figure out which correspond to which for a druid.

Edit3:
    Wis 16 Con 15 Cha 13 Int 12 Dex 11 Str 7
    I guess the next step is to remember my mythweavers username and password.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2015-04-20 at 09:28 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll be reading more later but very interested.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaaand i think im gunna take the second set of rolls (I swear this dice roller hates me now for some reason, had a roll of 3 a bit ago.)

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]

So, 15,14,14,11,9,8, Kinda on the very low end but eh, whatever!
    Last edited by Ellowryn; 2015-04-20 at 06:51 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

I'm going to pass on that one, thank you. Mainly because I can't really see that flaw ending in a way that won't screw over the party (unless I use my limited power selection to pick up a bunch of very similar powers...), however many feats you give me for it.

I'm torn between making her simply out of touch (so she's prone to misunderstanding when it is or is not appropriate to manifest powers unless someone's actively directing her) or giving her impulse control issues (so she has trouble not using a power when she thinks of using a power. For instance, idly daydreaming about setting the boring old scholar's robes on fire can actually manifest an energy ray at him...).

Or both.
    Haha, yeah, it's a pretty dreadful lack of control, so I don't blame you for not taking it. I like the "think therefore I am" style. A bit like young Harry Potter and the glass in the zoo. Or maybe Matilda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellowryn View Post
    This seems hilarious so i will toss my idea forward. My concept? One of the dwarves from snow white, who many years after helping snow regain her throne had their mine confiscated by the queen and now wanders the land in search of a new home and possibly finding adventure along the way.

Mechanically he will be a Grey Dwarf (the one from the expanded psionics handbook) Barbarian/Fighter. And his name will be Grumpy. And he might just go Frenzied Berserker. Maybe.

Da Rollz!
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

The Riley roll
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    I'd prefer you didn't build specific characters from fairy tales, largely because I intend to use those characters in whatever parodied adventure you go on. You could build characters quite like those, like you could build an Evil Sorcerer that works with Enchantments and Transmutations and a talking parrotraven Familiar, but don't literally build Jafar because you might meet an Evil Sorcerer that works with Enchantments and Transmutations and a talking ravenparrot Familiar who is Jafar. If you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    A game based on fairy tales sounds incredibly fun. I've even got an idea for a character (since I recently binged on the Erstwhile webcomic). Of course, the hard part is building the character mechanically.

First things, though: In the first post, I couldn't find where you said how frequenly you'll expect us to post. How often?

Also, to get my character idea splattered on the page in words (full of all the random leaps in flow that are inherent with fairy tales!): Once upon a time, there was a princess in a kingdom. He constantly tried to arrange marriages for her with princes from far-off kingdoms. Oh, yes; she could also talk to animals. After turning down the one hundredth suitor, the king grew angry and locked her away in a tower in the middle of a swamp, vowing she would not be let out for seven years. Food and other necessities were brought to the tower.
    Unfortunately, shortly after those seven years began, the kingdom was conquered and the tower in the swamp was forgotten.
    Fortunately, during that time there was a kind witch-fairy living nearby in the swamp who magicked herself into the tower. The witch taught the princess all sorts of things, from stories to some kinds of magic and so on.
    Feeling she deserved better than life as a scullery maid (even though that method is, for some reason, a surefire way to marry a prince), she decided to go around telling the stories she learned from the witch.

I'm thinking, mechanically speaking, either a Bard or a Druid will get my idea across best. Probably a druid, since there's more precedent for a druid's abilities in this type of character. Yes, druid. I'm decided. CN druid.

Well, time to roll stats now.
    edit: You can roll stats in this thread? Wow! Let me try.
    Sounds pretty solid. A little Rapunzel and a little Cinderella. If you can't decide between Bard and Druid, you could always build to a Fochlucan Lyrist.

By "frequently," I don't want to put a time counter on it, but like, if you have the opportunity to post or it's your turn to add something, don't wait a few days because you don't really feel like posting right now because that's making everyone else wait. Similarly, if it's been a day and there's been no update, maybe a little check-in in the OoC thread to say "Hey, we're not waiting on me are we? I thought *player* might do *action*, but I don't have anything to do right now." or something like that. Just to keep the thread active.

15. - Top - End - #15

I just looked up Fochlucan Lyrist. It looks pretty cool. I'll go with that. (I've never built someone with a prestige class before, so it'll take me some time longer to build this character.)

However!
    By that definition of 'Frequently', I can definitely do that.
    Thanks!
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd prefer you didn't build specific characters from fairy tales, largely because I intend to use those characters in whatever parodied adventure you go on. You could build characters quite like those, like you could build an Evil Sorcerer that works with Enchantments and Transmutations and a talking parrotraven Familiar, but don't literally build Jafar because you might meet an Evil Sorcerer that works with Enchantments and Transmutations and a talking ravenparrot Familiar who is Jafar. If you see what I mean.
    Foeydarn, there goes that idea. Might try the evil sorcerer with a raven parrot familiar, but how often are we going to be fighting things that are just flat out immune to mind-affecting spells? The fact that they are so common is why i just can't bring myself to use those spells. Although with these stats its going to be hard to pull of either way...

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Foeydarn, there goes that idea. Might try the evil sorcerer with a raven parrot familiar, but how often are we going to be fighting things that are just flat out immune to mind-affecting spells? The fact that they are so common is why i just can't bring myself to use those spells. Although with these stats its going to be hard to pull of either way...
    I would just come up with some character that you wouldn't be surprised to see in the leading role in a story. Protagonist material, or "protagonist's supporting buddies" material.

I don't know how often you'd be fighting creatures immune to mind-affecting, but probably not that often. Remember, I did say this was a low-magic environment. When you've got magic it's probably pretty remarkable, but the Fairy Godmother, Maleficent, Rumpelstiltskin, Ursula, or Jafar are in the minority when it comes to average magical prowess. So on the one hand, creatures that are immune to mind-affecting either don't exist for the large part or just haven't been identified as such, considering a lack of mind-affecting effects to try on them. On the other hand, it suggests that you're a weirdo villain if you're Dominating people left and right.

18. - Top - End - #18

I've got an idea for this which can basically be summed up as "Robin Hood with Sorcerer levels" plus some other stuff. Think of him as a former street urchin who has magical powers thanks to his bloodline. By and large, he uses those to either trick travelers, steal, and uses the funds and goods to help out the less fortunate.

If that doesn't work, then I'll figure out something.

Spoiler:
    Show
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Re-rolls:
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Edit: Keeping these rolls. That's 16/15/14/10/9/8
    Last edited by BlueHerring; 2015-04-20 at 08:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I would just come up with some character that you wouldn't be surprised to see in the leading role in a story. Protagonist material, or "protagonist's supporting buddies" material.

I don't know how often you'd be fighting creatures immune to mind-affecting, but probably not that often. Remember, I did say this was a low-magic environment. When you've got magic it's probably pretty remarkable, but the Fairy Godmother, Maleficent, Rumpelstiltskin, Ursula, or Jafar are in the minority when it comes to average magical prowess. So on the one hand, creatures that are immune to mind-affecting either don't exist for the large part or just haven't been identified as such, considering a lack of mind-affecting effects to try on them. On the other hand, it suggests that you're a weirdo villain if you're Dominating people left and right.
    Hey now, why dominate when charming them goes so much further!

Upon further review i will go with the evil sorcerer, going for the Sandshaper PrC cause, ya know, sand and all that. Can i get a change to the feat prerequisite? To be honest its crap, and expensive, and what the feat could be is up to you.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHerring View Post
    I've got an idea for this which can basically be summed up as "Robin Hood with Sorcerer levels" plus some other stuff. Think of him as a former street urchin who has magical powers thanks to his bloodline. By and large, he uses those to either trick travelers, steal, and uses the funds and goods to help out the less fortunate.

If that doesn't work, then I'll figure out something.

Spoiler:
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Re-rolls:
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    For a moment I thought you were me.

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable character type. That kind of subtle magic, perhaps almost unknown even to the character, is very much a "powers of the chosen one" kind of ability that you get in fairy tales. Looking forward to seeing the build.

Incidentally, you know what I've realized? So many villains in fairy tales could be Druids. Most villainous magic involves shifting into some monstrous animal form, or making giant beasts or plants, or granting awareness to creatures. Druid powers. Ursula the Sea Witch was almost certainly a Druid, and Maleficent was probably one with Dragon Wild Shape. The Evil Queen from Snow White could have been, with the poison apple and A Thousand Faces. And uh...the witch from Rapunzel liked gardening a lot.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Hey now, why dominate when charming them goes so much further!

Upon further review i will go with the evil sorcerer, going for the Sandshaper PrC cause, ya know, sand and all that. Can i get a change to the feat prerequisite? To be honest its crap, and expensive, and what the feat could be is up to you.
    I don't think so, I kind of like the Touchstone feat. It only costs you 300 gold and 8 ranks of Knowledge: Local. For a feat tax, that's not dreadful. Could have been two feats. And some of the Touchstone benefits are okay. For a Jafar expy, the City of the Dead site for the bonus to Charisma checks and +1 to spell penetration or the Temple of Three for +6 to Handle Animal with snakes (he likes snakes, right? Turned into one once, I think) are pretty appropriate.

22. - Top - End - #22

For a moment I thought you were me.

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable character type. That kind of subtle magic, perhaps almost unknown even to the character, is very much a "powers of the chosen one" kind of ability that you get in fairy tales. Looking forward to seeing the build.

Incidentally, you know what I've realized? So many villains in fairy tales could be Druids. Most villainous magic involves shifting into some monstrous animal form, or making giant beasts or plants, or granting awareness to creatures. Druid powers. Ursula the Sea Witch was almost certainly a Druid, and Maleficent was probably one with Dragon Wild Shape. The Evil Queen from Snow White could have been, with the poison apple and A Thousand Faces. And uh...the witch from Rapunzel liked gardening a lot.
    He's gonna be quite smart about power usage. While he will be subtle for the most part, he does have some flashy spells for when it's absolutely necessary. He just doesn't really see fit to use it.

As for classes, I'm thinking of going straight Sorcerer now, but I'll probably prestige into something else down the road.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think so, I kind of like the Touchstone feat. It only costs you 300 gold and 8 ranks of Knowledge: Local. For a feat tax, that's not dreadful. Could have been two feats. And some of the Touchstone benefits are okay. For a Jafar expy, the City of the Dead site for the bonus to Charisma checks and +1 to spell penetration or the Temple of Three for +6 to Handle Animal with snakes (he likes snakes, right? Turned into one once, I think) are pretty appropriate.
    Foeydarn. Upon redoublechecking the feat i found that i do not have to get 8 ranks in a CC skill, but can spend 250gp on a touchstone key, so now the feat isn't horribad and i can safely take it. And the key will just so happen to be a golden scarab icon split in 2.

Also, about the free LA, i just can't seem to find a template that feels like it is appropriate for the character, could i instead get an additional caster level to replace the one i lose for the first level of Sandshaper?

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Foeydarn. Upon redoublechecking the feat i found that i do not have to get 8 ranks in a CC skill, but can spend 250gp on a touchstone key, so now the feat isn't horribad and i can safely take it. And the key will just so happen to be a golden scarab icon split in 2.

Also, about the free LA, i just can't seem to find a template that feels like it is appropriate for the character, could i instead get an additional caster level to replace the one i lose for the first level of Sandshaper?
    No, one free LA doesn't equate to an extra level, even if it has no class features. That's too much like making this level 10 and not giving any free LA, which isn't what I'm doing. The LA is there to help make a character flavorful and let people play a race that they might like but can't normally play. You don't have to use it, but you don't get anything for choosing not to be creative.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

No, one free LA doesn't equate to an extra level, even if it has no class features. That's too much like making this level 10 and not giving any free LA, which isn't what I'm doing. The LA is there to help make a character flavorful and let people play a race that they might like but can't normally play. You don't have to use it, but you don't get anything for choosing not to be creative.
    KK, will probably have something done by the end of the day.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Okay I know I have expensive tastes in terms of LA but here are my ideas so far. I am fond of all of them so I was wondering if any stood out as good or interesting ideas to our DM. These are also not in order of my favoritism so do not assume that.

1. A gargoyle playing off of the whole Beauty and Beast/Pinochio idea of wanting to do anything it takes to become human or change back to human from a curse. (+5 LA)
    2. A Genie who is actually perfectly content of being a genie that is trapped in a bottle but is actually pretty bad at his job. He doesn't know how to grant many wishes but he will be the best butler you ever had. (LA +5)
    3. A stone giant who isn't well liked due to being a giant and everybody knows giants eat people and such. He is really just looking for acceptance and for someone to watch him dance, his only true dream. (LA +4)
    4. A were-creature who has absolutely no control over his shifting. I haven't figured out many specifics but ideas would be like, either he is classic hulking creature, cursed like Fiona from Shrek, or possibly just anything can set him off (Like, man I have to take a huge shiiiiifting) (LA +2/3)
    5. If all of that fails, I'd probably go with the dashing prince charming who is actually probably more of a pompous jerk
    Last edited by ODM; 2015-04-20 at 09:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like to express an interest, though fair warning that I'm pretty inexperienced.

I was thinking of making a simple country-boy with an ax, leaving his old village and life on the farm to see the world for himself.

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ODM View Post
    Okay I know I have expensive tastes in terms of LA but here are my ideas so far. I am fond of all of them so I was wondering if any stood out as good or interesting ideas to our DM. These are also not in order of my favoritism so do not assume that.

1. A gargoyle playing off of the whole Beauty and Beast/Pinochio idea of wanting to do anything it takes to become human or change back to human from a curse. (+5 LA)
    2. A Genie who is actually perfectly content of being a genie that is trapped in a bottle but is actually pretty bad at his job. He doesn't know how to grant many wishes but he will be the best butler you ever had. (LA +5)
    3. A stone giant who isn't well liked due to being a giant and everybody knows giants eat people and such. He is really just looking for acceptance and for someone to watch him dance, his only true dream. (LA +4)
    4. A were-creature who has absolutely no control over his shifting. I haven't figured out many specifics but ideas would be like, either he is classic hulking creature, cursed like Fiona from Shrek, or possibly just anything can set him off (Like, man I have to take a huge shiiiiifting) (LA +2/3)
    5. If all of that fails, I'd probably go with the dashing prince charming who is actually probably more of a pompous jerk
    The thing about the monsters is that they're really their own stories, rather than characters to be wandering through other stories. Like if you were a Gargoyle that wanted to be human, the adventure would really be about making you a human, not the plights of the various fairy tale people in trouble. Also, no one would want to talk to a monster like you. No one would ask you for help. They'd run, screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Book the Hero View Post
    I'd like to express an interest, though fair warning that I'm pretty inexperienced.

I was thinking of making a simple country-boy with an ax, leaving his old village and life on the farm to see the world for himself.
    This is very much in the spirit of the "archetypes" I was describing. The humble hero. What are you going to do to bring it to 9th level?

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

The thing about the monsters is that they're really their own stories, rather than characters to be wandering through other stories. Like if you were a Gargoyle that wanted to be human, the adventure would really be about making you a human, not the plights of the various fairy tale people in trouble. Also, no one would want to talk to a monster like you. No one would ask you for help. They'd run, screaming.
    Ah yes. Very true. Okay, so Giant and Gargoyle are probably both out. Back to the drawing board.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, I'm still figuring that out. It's been a long time since I last played D&D and made a character.