New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default stupid things you have done in game.

one time in a game my mage was trapped in a ban by some drow. and i cast a fireball at the drow. the barn had a lot of hay as most barns do. needless to say the barn instantly burst into flames around me. and the drow decided to block the door. so my mage managed to push my way out. moral of the story be careful of your surroundings before you start flinging fireballs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: stupid things you have done in game.

I was once playing a low intelligence fighter and our group was running down a large spiraling staircase. We needed to reach the bottom ahead of the guys in front of us and so my fighter said "here, hold this" handed one end of a rope to a party member and lept off the edge of the staircase with the intention of landing on the next lower part of the spiral.

A few issues.
    1)There was no railing or anything for party member to brace against.
    1)Party member who had the rope was the low strength caster.
    3)Party member rolled a 1.
    Yanked them off the ledge with me because they didn't let go of rope.

It was a new DM and they panicked and didn't want me to die so some DM fiat had me land on ledge below and gave me the chance to make a check to catch the now falling caster.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

One time we needed to come back to loot a hoard that we couldn't carry at the time, so I prepared Shrink Item in all my slots. Only to discover that the rope we left going up the cliff was gone and we had no way to get back.

The moral of the story is, never explicitly prepare a spell if the only situation you would use it in allows 15 minutes of prep time. You may need those slots for something else after all.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, I knew it was stupid when I did it, but I was also roleplaying an impatient dwarf paladin with a waraxe, so... after the third failed attempt at unlocking the puzzle on the treasure chest and hearing the approaching rumbles of the building falling into a chasm behind me, I just started wailing on the chest with my axe.

To this day I don't know if I'm happy about discovering a force-replica of the treasure chest inside that was still attached to a puzzle replica of the puzzle I'd been trying to solve. Probably prevented a TPK, but it felt kinda cheap. I mean, why bother with an actual chest if you can make a force replica?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Decided my 10 Charisma wizard had a better chance wooing the sorcerer (A class my character actively hated) after the party bard had struck out and gotten snubbed. A couple of high rolls later they end up sleeping together. Several weeks later and we're back on dry land it turns out I forgot to mention talking to her during the time, having spent most of it making scrolls and researching. When we get to our new town she almost blew him up for ignoring her for several weeks. They ended up getting married, but never piss off the sorcerer/favored soul priestess. They have more spells per day then you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My character was unseen. I attacked a Giant and became visible. I had a Swift Invisibility spell prepared, but figured I could save it and Hide in Plain Sight with a 5' step. I rolled low on my Hide check, but decided it was probably good enough and I could save my spell (Assassins don't get many spells in general, and I had just the one Swift Invisibility). Big mistake, as the Giant killed my character with their next attack.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I was playing a low Int, low Wis, low Cha half-orc barbarian at the time and he had this little red cat named Fireball. During a tavern brawl, I casted it inside the angry mob. It didn't end well.

In the same campaign, after I replaced Fireball with an iguana (named Fireball II), we got hired to clean a mine from some big monstrous spiders and others spider-like monstrosities. After a couple of fights and some seriously bad saves against poisons, my barbarian had 4 Str, 2-3 Dex and -9 hit points (but he was stable thanks to Fearless Destiny). We only had a couple of days to clear the mine if we wanted to get paid, so the rests of the party decided to bury me alive (leaving my nostrils out so that I could breathe) hoping that no spiders would have noticed me. For some reason, they buried Fireball II as well. (Technically, this isn't something I did, but I felt like mentioning it because it's really stupid).

Later in the same campaign, after Fireball III (a chicken) drowned when we flooded some lupins' den, I replaced it by kidnapping a winged centaur from the city we helped to save (the one that was terrorized by lupins). Does this counts as stupid?
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well. our party was playing the Dragonlance campaign, and through a series of unfortunate events got invited to dinner with one of the leaders of the Dragon Army who didn't know who we were. It was only after we had arrived that I realized I was sitting there with a gain't Dragonlance strapped to my back in plain view. Suffice to say the general was not pleased.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Once, I matched wits with a Sicilian when death was on the line.

Never again.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I once forgot the First Rule of RPG Travel: You arrive exactly when the GM wants you to, no exceptions.

Specifically, as an 8th level wizard I spent nearly all of my 3rd and 4th level spell slots on Phantom Steeds to get my rather large party to the next plot-critical location several days faster, figuring we'd arrive just before nightfall and rest before exploring the place. Cue us getting there just in time to see the BBEG go inside, just as it's safe to assume would have happened if I hadn't wasted half my spells.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

My first character ever to reach 5th level learned invisibility sphere. My first use of it was to help the party sneak up on a behir in its lair. As we approached, we saw it was holding very, very still. We couldn't tell if it was sleeping, dead, or what.

So I pegged it in the face with a copper piece to see if it would react.
    Apparently, throwing a coin counts as an attack and breaks invisibility.
    Also, it was neither dead nor sleeping.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2015-05-06 at 09:20 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I once forgot the First Rule of RPG Travel: You arrive exactly when the GM wants you to, no exceptions.

Specifically, as an 8th level wizard I spent nearly all of my 3rd and 4th level spell slots on Phantom Steeds to get my rather large party to the next plot-critical location several days faster, figuring we'd arrive just before nightfall and rest before exploring the place. Cue us getting there just in time to see the BBEG go inside, just as it's safe to assume would have happened if I hadn't wasted half my spells.
    That's really more your DM railroading you in an annoying manner. A better DM would have had a specific time/day when the BBEG was supposed to do what it was going to do, and not penalized you for being clever with your spell choice.
    "A Grandmaster doesn't say he's a Grandmaster. Other people say it for him."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by General Sajaru View Post
    That's really more your DM railroading you in an annoying manner. A better DM would have had a specific time/day when the BBEG was supposed to do what it was going to do, and not penalized you for being clever with your spell choice.
    In general yes, in this campaign specifically though the tracks were always laid out pretty openly and I was fine with where they were going. My problem here was more one of suddenly forgetting the sorts of routes they'd taken to that point; in retrospect there wasn't any sort of rush to get to where I decided to get us to faster in the first place, so I literally wasted my spell slots for no good reason whatsoever.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tied an annoying party member up and put him in a stone sarcophagus with a lich's phylactery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

In my very first game ever, I was playing a Beguiler who tried to save a guy being assaulted by street thugs by casting Ghost Sound yelling "This is the Guard!"

In retrospect I probably could have done better with that tactic.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There was this time when my party arrived at the big bad's castle and we tried to sneak in through a decrepit wooden door in the rear. Of course, I forgot the two cardinal rules of sneaking around: everything is trapped (especially what you don't think will be) and to forget the kick the door mentality. Cue the lv 4 druid taking a 6D6 fireball to the face, alerting the boss, and having a sore leg.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I was in a party exploring the ruins under castle grey hawk. I drew from a deck of many things so did another party member. I had to use the one good think I got to save him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post

One time we had a 3rd level Wizard and a 4th level Druid and we had to travel a long distance fast. Apparently, there was an airship conveniently in town that could take us right there. But I did some calculations and worked out that by using all our slots on Mount and Traveler's Mount, we could actually travel faster than the airship on horseback. The DM said no.

I later looked up the Pony Express, and they actually traveled at comparable speeds to what I suggested, so it's not like it was even unrealistic. But that's railroading for you.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Stolen from my old party's druid.

fighting the BBEG of the day, a psion whose fighting friend has already been dealt with. He keeps blowing people up with his mind and being a horrible threat to everything that can think (plus the fighter), and with the cleric almost dead and the fighter having tea with his god, the best idea he can have before running out of hp is Baleful Polymorph.
    Which after a failed Fortitude, turns the Psion into a nice pink bunny with a fluffy tail.
    But after a successful Will, lets him keep his mental faculties.

Twenty minutes of fire-blasting, speed-flying, barriers-rising fluffy bunny after that, the wizard kneels near the cinders, sweeping what's left of the party out of the place.

One of the best bossfight i've ever seen.
    Last edited by Ediwir; Today at 10 sec after posting. We do not Preview.
    player registry
    Current PBF: checking for interest in Reign of Winter as DM.
    And the dwarf said, "How d'ya tell how old a Treehugger really is? Ya cut 'im down an' count the rings!". Everybody laughs, minus the elf.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I drew from a deck of many things once. Got the void.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.