New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.x/PF] GitP Regulars as Feats!

Red, he's started it again! Go make him hunt down evil dudes or something again, he gets really clingy when he acts like this!
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    I think people are intimidated by all the corrections being made, so they aren't making very many feats...

Fear not children! LoyalPaladin will protect you!
    Nah, it's better that any glaring flaws or incongruities are addressed, at the very least. We don't want to write feats that are unusable or are absurdly over-DCed.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, paladin-sensei, let the creativity run free!

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Andion Isurand gives permission for others to post feats that convey parts of his online persona.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2015-04-22 at 07:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, it's better that any glaring flaws or incongruities are addressed, at the very least. We don't want to write feats that are unusable or are absurdly over-DCed.
    I was looking at that on mobile and wondering what that was she was waving, thinking it was a staff or something. Now that I'm viewing it on Desktop, I can see that it's an extremely large pocky stick. :/
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

6. - Top - End - #126

Permission I give officially for this.

Threadnaught.
    Last edited by Threadnaught; 2015-04-22 at 07:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    I was looking at that on mobile and wondering what that was she was waving, thinking it was a staff or something. Now that I'm viewing it on Desktop, I can see that it's an extremely large pocky stick. :/
    Or maybe she's really small? :3
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-04-22 at 08:59 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Or maybe she's really small? :3
    Broke link :(
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    Broke link :(
    Is that better?

You know, you could just watch the show. That particular season is on Crunchyroll.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Permission I give officially for this.

Threadnaught.
    Hold my holy symbol. I've got this.

Irrefutable Truth
    You don't have time for squabbling and bargaining. Instead, you'd prefer to present the facts up front. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Prerequisite
    Intelligence Score 16, Skill Focus: Knowledge (Any)

Benefit
    When you would normally attempt to make a diplomacy check to convince someone of something, you may instead make the appropriate knowledge check (as determined by your DM) in it's place.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-04-23 at 09:30 AM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

"But wait, I have proof!" That looks like a lot of fun.

12. - Top - End - #132

"But wait, I have proof!" That looks like a lot of fun.
    Good morning, Snowbluff.

I haven't been in too many threads with our dear Threadnaught, but whenever I do he seems to have the "I've got the facts right here" thing going on. So this seemed fitting.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Good morning, Snowbluff.
    Same to you, buddy!

I haven't been in too many threads with our dear Threadnaught, but whenever I do he seems to have the "I've got the facts right here" thing going on. So this seemed fitting.
    It's a good practice. When I'm giving rules information, I usually make sure to double check it or cite it directly, too.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh man, that reminds me of an awesome Skill Power from 4e. Let you substitute Arcana for bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate 1/encounter. Either "but wait, I have proof," or so much technobabble they just do what you say

15. - Top - End - #135

Same to you, buddy!
    And so it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Oh man, that reminds me of an awesome Skill Power from 4e. Let you substitute Arcana for bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate 1/encounter. Either "but wait, I have proof," or so much technobabble they just do what you say
    Phew, I'm glad people don't think it's lame. Now if only Threadnaught-senpai would recognize me!
    *obligatory sparkly anime eyes*
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-04-23 at 09:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Irrefutable Truth
    You don't have time for squabbling and bargaining. Instead, you'd prefer to present the facts up front. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Prerequisite
    Intelligence Score 16, Skill Focus: Knowledge (Any)

Benefit
    When you would normally attempt to make a diplomacy check to convince someone of something, you may instead make the appropriate knowledge check (as determined by your DM) in it's place.
    Hahahahahahahahaha!

That is pretty damn perfect.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Hahahahahahahahaha!

That is pretty damn perfect.
    Hooray!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Hooray!
    No, no, no... that won't do at all.

19. - Top - End - #139

BardGuy

Here's my "feat tax."

Sam's Wham Bam
    You know that it's never enough to just hit someone. You feel the need to hit someone with the person you just hit.

Prerequisites
    Strength 16, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush

Benefit
    When you make a Power Attack, you can forgo dealing the extra damage from Power Attack to move your target (if your size or smaller). The target must pass a Balance check (DC 10 + attackers STR mod) or be moved in any direction 5' for each -1 penalty to the attack roll with a success only moving the target 5' / -5 penalty (rounded down). If the target would be stopped by another creature, both creatures take damage.

If using a two-handed weapon, this damage is equal to the extra damage you would have dealt from the power attack plus one and a half times your Strength modifier (initial target would then take the extra damage from Strength modifier twice). If you are using a one-handed weapon, the damage is equal to the extra damage you would have dealt from the power attack plus half your strength modifier. If you are using a light weapon (to include unarmed strikes), the damage is equal to the extra damage you would have dealth from the power attack.

If the target would hit a solid object, treat the impact as if you had made a sunder attempt and the initial target takes any damage the object does (after adjusting for the object's Hardness).
    Last edited by illyahr; 2015-04-24 at 09:48 AM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

It should be like 5 feet per -5, which is similiar to regular bullrushing increments. For each -1 you're throwing people a hundred feet.

21. - Top - End - #141

BardGuy

It should be like 5 feet per -5, which is similiar to regular bullrushing increments. For each -1 you're throwing people a hundred feet.
    At BaB +20 you could take -20 to knock them back 100'. It gets +5' distance for each -1 you reduced your attack. By that time, I really don't think a melee character throwing someone 100' is much of an issue. If you went 5' for each -5, it would only start being remotely useful at BaB of +10 or better. Sure, you could knock them into the floor (down is a direction ), but you would be better off just using Power Attack.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2015-04-23 at 10:46 AM.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    At BaB +20 you could take -20 to knock them back 100'. It gets +5' distance for each -1 you reduced your attack. By that time, I really don't think a melee character throwing someone 100' is much of an issue. If you went 5' for each -5, it would only start being remotely useful at BaB of +10 or better. Sure, you could knock them into the floor (down is a direction ), but you would be better off just using Power Attack.
    Well, it's a lot of movement for an attack roll with no save. Maybe a compromise, or make it so the attack doubles as a bullrush roll, giving more movement for beating his AC.

Also, if you have the guy against another creature, it always works. :D
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-04-23 at 10:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143

BardGuy

Well, it's a lot of movement for an attack roll. Maybe a compromise, or make it so the attack doubles as a bullrush roll, giving more movement for beating his AC.

Also, if you have the guy against another creature, it always works. :D
    It also prevents follow-up attacks. That means a full-melee character is restricted to a single attack each round. It's mostly designed for knocking out mooks while still focusing on the BBEG. A martial BBEG isn't going to be phased by the extra damage and a magical BBEG has ways of staying out of range/using the range to his advantage.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Illyahir's Dance Battle
    Prerequisites: Perform (Dance) 5 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks
    Benefit: As a standard action, you can make a diplomacy check against one creature with intelligence 3 or greater within 30 ft. If the check succeeds, you and the target engage in a dance battle. Dance battles consist of 5 rounds of opposed Perform (Dance) checks, during which time no other creature may interfere with the contest, except to make Perform (musical Intrument), Perform (Oratory) or Perform (Sing) checks as aid another attempts. At the end of the 5 rounds, whichever creature won the most opposed Perform (Dance) checks is declared the victor, and the loser is given the served condition.
    Special: The player (not the PC), may choose to instead challenge the DM to an actual dance battle in place of having the characters dance. If the Player defeats the DM in a dance battle, the encounter is resolved in the best possible outcome for the party.

25. - Top - End - #145

BardGuy

Illyahir's Dance Battle
    Prerequisites: Perform (Dance) 5 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks
    Benefit: As a standard action, you can make a diplomacy check against one creature with intelligence 3 or greater within 30 ft. If the check succeeds, you and the target engage in a dance battle. Dance battles consist of 5 rounds of opposed Perform (Dance) checks, during which time no other creature may interfere with the contest, except to make Perform (musical Intrument), Perform (Oratory) or Perform (Sing) checks as aid another attempts. At the end of the 5 rounds, whichever creature won the most opposed Perform (Dance) checks is declared the victor, and the loser is given the served condition.
    Special: The player (not the PC), may choose to instead challenge the DM to an actual dance battle in place of having the characters dance. If the Player defeats the DM in a dance battle, the encounter is resolved in the best possible outcome for the party.

Are they 'shaken' when 'served'?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Random note that the game I'm running is still recruiting 1-2 more for the second group. Material from the Regulars As threads is mostly allowed.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=23015

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Random note that the game I'm running is still recruiting 1-2 more for the second group. Material from the Regulars As threads is mostly allowed.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=23015
    Illyahr, it's a high enough level for a dance off!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Here's my "feat tax."

Sam's Wham Bam
    You know that it's never enough to just hit someone. You feel the need to hit someone with the person you just hit.

Prerequisites
    Strength 16, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush

Benefit
    When you make a Power Attack with a two-handed weapon, you can forgo dealing the extra damage from Power Attack to move your target (if your size or smaller) in any direction 5' for each -1 you took to your attack roll. If the target would be stopped by another creature, both creatures take damage equal to the extra damage you would have dealt from the power attack plus one and a half times your Strength modifier (initial target would then take the extra damage from Strength modifier twice). If the target would hit a solid object, treat the impact as if you had made a sunder attempt and the initial target takes any damage the object does (after adjusting for the object's Hardness.)
    I like the idea a lot, but I think Snowbluff is right, it's a little screwy and open to abuse as written.

Moving the target is more valuable than the possible extra damage, even if knocking them into their friends is a lot of fun. Even if I'm not knocking them into anyone else, being able to knock someone a few squares away, and then do it again when they try moving through my threatened area to get back into melee range is better than the existent forms of AoO lockdown. And BAB scales a bit faster on the other side of the DM screen. A CR-equivalent dragon can Power Attack for about half-again as much as a full BAB PC if it really wants to, though it will have to be wielding a weapon, since natural weapons don't count for the feat.

There's also the fact that there doesn't seem to be any way of resisting it. You just need to make contact and away they go, so long as they aren't bigger than you. It might be better to model it a bit more along the lines of Knockback. Making it work more akin to the usual bull rush rules also opens up Dungeoncrashing, on the extra damage side of things.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I feel like I should define the served condition, but...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Compare and contrast Awesome Blow, which knocks them 10 feet in exchange for a -4 penalty, allows a Reflex save, and requires 25 Str and large size or larger. (It also knocks them prone, which is relevant, but still.)