A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post D&D 4.0 with a hint of Dark Heresy in an Gothic Horror Setting (Innistrad MtG).

Hello folks,

I have been working on this idea for quite a while and I would like to start a campaign with maximum 4 enthusiastic players.

I wrote a lot, and this whole campaign has been quite some work and playing this game will require some dedication. For starters you will have to read some background lore and I intent to make this game a lot of fun and long lasting, so I will need players who will also show dedication and are willing to dive in the lore and make this game fun for themselves and the group!

What I will offer in return is a dedicated humorous, yet serious DM with quite some years of experience. However I worked most of the lore out, this is not a railroad premade campaign. I enjoy players taking initiative and create their own story. I will encourage every creative idea you may have and let the party tell the story. English is not my mother language, so forgive the minor grammar mistakes, I think it will be fine. I will also provide all the lore and information you need for this campaign, so all you have to do is read and enjoy.

I invite you to have a look and let all the great fluff I gathered, inspire you and trigger anthousiasm to apply for this campaign!

Introduction

Dungeons And Dragons 4.0 with a hint of Dark Heresy in a Magic the Gathering setting. (You do not need to be familiar with the existing lore or other system to play!!)

The world is grim dark, unforgiving and life is hard. This is no high fantasy, feel good setting where you will be the all beloved hero who saves the day. You are just another miserable mortal who is doomed to die, most likely be used as snack at a party in one of the vampire’s manors or eaten by mindless ghouls, if you are lucky. You are however not one of the farmers who spend their lives cultivating crops hoping to live past their thirties. You are a cathar, a holy warrior of the church of Avacyn and the elite soldiers of the inquisition. Your task is to hunt the creatures of the moon, the foul undead and everyone who aligns with them. You are the front line in the war against murderous werewolves and haunting spirits lurking for human prey. Your job is to keep that one candle burning admits the everlasting, impenetrable darkness of this world.

The important stuff
    Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running

Dungeon and Dragons 4.0 with extra fluff.

Why no 5.0? Because This campaign does not so much evolves around combat, so the combat skills of your character are less relevant. The 4.0 system does however offer a lot of out of combat options in the form of powers, rituals and feats. I see this as a very strong motivation to choose for this system.
    Besides this the 4.0 system has many, many more books. These together let me chose for this system and I hope that you will find joy in making a character with a personality and background which is, in my opinion, most important whatever the system is you play.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be.

This is the interesting part. It will be a combination of the following:

Magic the Gathering: Besides being an amazing trading card game, the developers do their bests to create a background story and lore. The idea is that there are different planes with a certain setting. This campaign will take place in the plane of Innistrad. This is a gothic horror setting with vampires, werewolves and the human race struggling for their survival. For the people familiar with MtG, I have altered some terms to make it more logical for players who are not familiar with terms like ‘planeswalker’ and the like.

Dark Heresy: Maybe you are familiar with this awesome system and the 40K lore. I will not homebrew anything from this system, but I will use some of its grim dark aspects and fundamental system ideas. Mainly the part that you play the henchman of an inquisitor and that is your duty to protect mankind against the eternal threat of demons, aliens and other terrifying sh*t that wants to murder us by the thousands. For the people who are familiar with the painfully high risk of dying, don’t worry, D&D is not the system where people die that easily, so it will not be as bad as it would be in the actual DH system.

Combined in the 4.0 system it will be a normal D&D campaign with lore and game settings borrowed from the two things I mentioned above. You can read some of the lore in the Fun Stuff Part. Furthermore I gathered pretty much all the lore written by the creative team of Wizards of the Coast in a PDF document.

[https://www.scribd.com/doc/262850579/Innistrad-Lore]THE INNISTRAD LORE DOCUMENT[/url]

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4 maximum.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

On this forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

3rd Level standard character creation by the books.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

You can use anything in the books, but it is very important to look at the setting. Fear of dark magic, demonology, alchemy and the like are not something you can ignore. It is very unwise and also very contradictionary to make something that is not in line with the setting. Magic is not uncommon, but see it as the witch panics in European (and partially US) history. Being suspected of being a necromancer or a werewolf would get you in serious trouble. You will most likely be prosecuted without trial (It is not as bad as dark heresy where they would wipe out the whole planet if they expect it to be even the slightest corrupted, but I want to emphasize that sh*t gets real in this world if think you can play with fire.)

DO not feel to restricted however. Although religion plays a huge part in this world you can perfectly play pretty much any class and just justify your abnormalities with stuff you find in the lore. For example, if you are a druid, you might be a cathar who uses magic from the earth and the angels who care for it. My point is that you don’t have to go all cleric even though the setting might categorize you as such.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Humans only, if you REALLY want the benefits of other races (as long it is no high-fantasy stuff like eladrin fey steps and the like) I can make an exception, please propose something and I can see what I can do. You will look like a human no matter the agreement on racial bonusses.

In addition you can switch your bonus at will power for a +2 bonus to any of your ability scores.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Standard

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

I don’t like using alignments. There does not exist something like evil, everything is relative to the other, so you will play like a normal person in that setting and that situation. Feel free to identify yourself with one of the alignments just for the sake of it, that is totally okay.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Use the books.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players will do their own rolls, using the forum command.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

The system will be exactly like a normal D&D system would be, no changes there. I think the lore for and nature of this game is clear already.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

The game will be mostly roleplaying, puzzle solving and enjoying the feel of a Gothic Horror setting. Therefor it will be required to have a good background and character description. I will not give a certain amount of text you need, but I would very much like you to give this site a good read you don't have to use this ofcourse, but it might give yuo some inspiration. Please use as much as you can to make your character as interesting and worked out as you like him/her to be. Just know the more you know what your personality is, the more you can utilize this in the game.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

As I said before it will be mostly themebased rolpleaying, puzzlesolving with some combat.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

All the books. It is wise to list where you got certain information from, so you can look it up if need be.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    Please use the site Myth-Weavers for your sheets. You can make a free account there and make any sheet you like. It is very easy to use, it has a nice layout and the nice thing is, it will fill in anything automaticly once your fill in your ability scores and your level. Using the sheet will also help you understand the character mechanics better (things like adding half your level and such)

The deadline will be on Thursday 30 of April. I understand that it is a lot to read and you can use all the time you get to work something out.

I will select players on thei character idea, how well they made their personality fit the background of the world, with in mind to create a good balanced group. If there is anything that doesn't sound fair or like to question this, please let me know.

Here you can read some introduction to the system, you will find this content in the PDF document as well, but for a quick read to give you some information and quick overview on the lore I selected these texts to motivate you!

The fun stuff
    Spoiler: Starting Lore
    Show

The Beginning
    The vampiregod Sorin Markov, created the angel Avacyn and tasked her with protecting the plane of Innistrad. Through her, the magic of faith would create true power to fend off the darkness. The Church of Avacyn rose from the power Sorin invested in her.
    Avacyn's purpose is to maintain the balance on Innistrad. Without her the equilibrium between humanity and the dark forces would be broken, with the resulting extinction of humanity at hands of the vampires or werewolves and the triumph of demons over the plane, all of which would lead to the vampires resorting to cannibalism once humans and the other species were extinct. (Also, eventually resulting in extinction.)
    Sorin knew never to expect peace and harmony on his shadowed homeworld, but he thought he had arranged a kind of effective equilibrium, a set of safety measures designed to keep one side of the scale from ever tipping too far. He trusted that this system would maintain itself without his intervention and left the plane in the hands of his creation.
    However, not long ago Avacyn disappeared. This not only endangered the humans of Innistrad, it smashed the carefully-constructed balance between humanity and the creatures of the night.

Today
    When the light fades and the moon rises over Innistrad, humanity becomes the universal prey.
    Packs of werewolves emerge like the tide, drawn out by the moon, their humanity washed away by animal rage. The vampire families bare their fangs at the scent of human blood. Hordes of the walking dead lurch across the manors and moors, driven by an innate hunger for the living. Alchemically created abominations twitch to life in alchemists' laboratories. Geists (Spirits) haunt the huddled human towns and terrify travelers along the dark crossways in between. From Innistrad's deeper chasms, powerful demons and impish devils plot humanity's downfall, their influence spreading into all echelons of human society. The humans of Innistrad have done their best to fight back. They form torch-wielding mobs to cleanse the abominations with fire. They train specialized holy warriors, called cathars, to strike back against the supernatural horrors. Most of all, they brandish the power of their faith in the Church of Avacyn.
    But the weapons of commoners, soldiers, and priests are all failing. Their whispered prayers and runic wards don't hold their same power. Talismans of silver no longer frighten nocturnal horrors. The holy symbol of Avacyn no longer keeps trespassers from disturbing the entombed dead. Things are getting progressively worse for humanity across the plane.

Daily Life
    The everyday life of a human varies dramatically according to one's class. The wealthy families and clergy live in comfort and safety. Thraben (capital) clergy, in particular, have every need met by the church. The middle classes—artisans and merchants—are also quite comfortable. But the working class and farmers have a much shorter lifespan; they are more at risk from the dark things of the world, and they suffer from more sickness and famine as well. A farmer lives an average of forty years, while a bishop lives closer to seventy.
    Safety is the main commodity in Innistrad. The wealthier you are, the safer you can make yourself. The high walls of Thraben protect the well-to-do who live inside. Titled families in Gavony (One for the four provinces of Innistrad) have fortified manor houses, while the farmers must make do with the wooden walls of their farmhouses.
    Because of the lack of physical safety, the poor spend a larger portion of their income of enchantments and non-physical means of protection. Tithing is required for everyone, and the church charges a small fee for every blessing and spell. Even at unstaffed little altars, payment is expected, and many of the faithful diligently pay even when there is no one to enforce it. Not unexpectedly, there is resentment among some for the amount of money required of the poor to uphold their faith. This resentment increases dramatically as the effectiveness of the Avacynian blessings diminish.

This is where you come in as a player. This will be the first post in the IC. Make sure your background connects to this piece. For the rest you are free to use anything you see fit from the lore for your character. Also you are free, as I said before, to fill in anything the lore does not specify and you still want to use.

The campaign stuff
    Spoiler: Plothook
    Show

Crusade on Havengul

You have been called to the holy city of Thraben, the throne of Avacyn’s church and the capital of Innistrad. Normally yuo get orders down the ranks, but this time you have been summoned to the city itself. You thank Avacyn for this honour, being recognized for the loyal soldier of the faith you are.

Since Avacyn disappeared the nights have grown longer and darker and it is known that there are being held more expeditions against the undead and werewolves. You think you may be summoned to join one of those expedition, which would be a good chance to …….. (whatever your ambition is). When you approach the majestic city you are struck by its great wall, its marvelous gothic architecture and most of all the cathedral which towers high above all other buildings in the city.

Once you enter the city gate you emerge into the crowd. You see merchants selling their wares like cabbages, handmade baskets and other goods. Other, more mystical looking figures, hold out charmlike items with the symbol of avacyn which should have protective powers. The city under the influence of the church maintains a high standard of cleanness and order and you walk through the streets amazed by the greatness the city radiates.

You find your way to the military quarters. Solders pass you by saluting you as their superiors. Cathars are not uncommon, but still respected as they form the elite force of the church and the army, not that Innistrad has a standing army as would have medieval kingdoms in our world (I am a historian, you will get a lot of historical references thrown at you, my apologies), but you get the picture.

You walk towards the barracks of the senior officers and you enter the building. Inside you see a few others sitting on nicely decorated wooden chairs. In front of them stands an elderly man. He wears light armor covered in holy symbols. His face is scarred and you can’t help to notice several bite-marks on his neck, this man surely must have seen quite some action. You salute the elderly cathar and take a seat among the other cathars. Then the man speaks in a stronger voice than you would expect from such a venerable man.

The lunarch has summoned you to the capital for an important quest. The Bishop of Nephalia is struggling to keep his people under control, the light of Avacyn is fading and in the city of Havengul are increasingly more zombie attacks. Of course we know that this port is a stronghold of unholy practices, but now it is worse than ever.

We have knowledge of a cult in the underground of the city. They call themselves ''the Skaabherren' or lords of the undead in common tongue. Using forbidden alchemy they stitch corpes together and creat fearsome monsters that terrorize the faithfull people. We have to purge these heretics and bring the light to the outskirts of this lands ourselves, now Avacyn no longer guides us.

The man pauses for a second, closes his eyes and brings his hand to his heart, with his other hand leaning on his walking stick.

I feel a great darkness coming from the west. The sea brings nothing but evil and it is spreading land inwards. The faul beasts of the moon are closing in from the north, vampires from the east.

He turn around and looks deep in your eyes.

Those damned bloodsucking animals, beware of them for they are also hiding in the darkness of Havengul.

I send you, warriors of the church, to Havegul to uncover this cartel of corpsetraders and devilish alchemists by any means necessary. Be wary though, the townsfolk are not too happy when the church interferes in their affairs and may have been corrupted by their folklore and superstitions. Trust no one, even the mightest of cathars have fallen and have been turned to that which they hunted so passionatly.

You will ride tomorrow, I have personally sought out a fine establishment where you can spend the night, get to know eachother and pray. Tomorrow there will be a market where you can get any wares you might still need.

The man sighs and leans heavily on his walkingstick. He hands you a carefully sealed letter with the symbol you know so well and shows you the door.

With the group you walk through the city as the sun sets. Like every evening it gets cold and a sinister shadow creeps over the rooftops of the houses. However you have seen some horrors in your life, a shiver goes down your spine and you quicken your step to get to the inn as fast as you can. It is a nice establishment, not worthy of a nobleman but from the windows shines a warm light, the scent of roasted beef meets you when you approach the inn-door. You look at your fellow companions before you walk in.

Potentional Players

Selected Player Class Character Personality
    Group 1 Drekkle Avenger Ana Moreau Raised at the training grounds of the gathars this warm, young woman with a sword as big as herself, seeks out the skaab and alchemist to show Avacyn she is worthyof redemption for her childhood crimes.
    Group 1 Jalor Swordmage Anton Dietrich A optimistic Swordmage, trained in the arts of magic as wel as sword fighting, in search for firsthand knowledge about the undead to become an even better warrior of the church.
    Group 1 Tyeal Invoker Erias 'Oread' Lustrik Former protector against geist, this Idealistic young man devoted his life to the churchafter he was mortally wounded but lived. He pledged to liberate the world of darkness as head of a holy cult.
    Group 1 Firedaemon Cleric/Ranger Silvia Holtzer Originating from Kessig this puritain Cathar saved her village from the gruesome howlpack. WIth divine guidance she now puts her bow to use wherever people are in danger and need saving.
    Gruop 2 DragonBones Warlord Thomas Utterson A reserved, tactical warlord and veteran cathar, fighting evil with forbidden lore of his departed father in search for redemption for errors of his past.
    Group 2 Elricaltovilla Warden Timaeus A large feral warrior, faithfull and dutyfull, but naive and sometimes overconfident of his talents in being a holy weapon against the darkness.
    Group 2 Lank Fighter - This honorable man of nobleblood left his famaily home to fight evil in the mercenary band known as Lorholt's Fist. When they fell into a trap and had to fight to the death, he was the only one to survive and now is more resiliant then ever.
    Group 2 Rafet Ranger Stanley von Croft This feral ranger has a dark secret that almost got him killed in search for a solution. Almost vain he now hides this secret serving the church as a hunter of evil.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-25 at 05:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 4.0 with a hint of Dark Heresy in an Innistad (Magic the Gathering) Setting.

I would love to be a part of this, however I'm not all that familiar with 4th edition (though I have played other editions of d&d), so I might need some help.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: D&D 4.0 with a hint of Dark Heresy in an Gothic Horror Setting (Innistrad MtG).

@Dragonbones:
    No knowledge about the 4.0 system is quite okay. It is a fairly easy system to get used to. If you like I can explain some more via PMs, if you ought that helpful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 4.0 with a hint of Dark Heresy in an Gothic Horror Setting (Innistrad MtG).

At the moment I'm going for an int-based warlord, potentially with a dark, magic-based secret. I've got most of him done already, but I'll get it up soon so you can see if its good enough.

5. - Top - End - #5

Oh my god this sounds amazing. Don't have an exact character concept in mind yet but I'm thinking something primal.

Edit: Less emphasis on combat = I'm going to play a really cool yet underpowered class... the Seeker! Vengeful/Bloodbond, to be specific.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2015-04-22 at 04:28 PM.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sounds interesting. Innistrad looks like a fun setting. I'll get a character together once I have more time to read through your first post.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Might play as a monk, avenger, or fighter. I'd like to do bard but I don't think it would fit well in the setting.

Unless if bards are more like dragon age bards. They are political spies and occasionaly assassins.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Also signing up for this fun-sounding setting and adventure. I opted to follow the link offered in the Big 16 to help shape the character I'm making. Deciding to make a humorless, idealistic, but very focused and determined Human Invoker, Erias 'Oread' Lustrik. Set in his ways and beliefs and ready to do what is commanded of him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Requesting permission to use the Dwarf stats/racial ability to make a human feral-child type Warden. Still working out the specifics, but he was raised in seclusion by an angelic forest guardian and taught to use (green) magic to defend himself before being released into the world of man. Most likely a naive, hardheaded bumpkin with little understanding of, or respect for, the dangers that commoners face (as he as "already" overcome them).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Submitting most of my crunch for now. I've mainly played Pathfinder, but I have to get in on Innistrad, so please tell me if something is off with what I have.

Spoiler: Ana
    Show
    Ana, level 3
    Human, Avenger
    Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit
    Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
    Background: Divinely Inspired (Insight class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 17 Will: 18
    HP: 37 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +10, Religion +7, Stealth +10, Insight +11, Perception +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +1, Heal +5, History +1, Intimidate, Nature +5, Streetwise, Thievery +4, Athletics +2

FEATS
    Human: Power of Skill
    Level 1: Improved Armor of Faith
    Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)

POWERS
    Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
    Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
    Bonus At-Will Power: Bond of Pursuit
    Avenger encounter 1: Angelic Alacrity
    Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
    Avenger utility 2: Distracting Flare
    Avenger encounter 3: Relentless Stride

ITEMS
    Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (40), Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol, Climber's Kit, Greatsword of Oaths Fulfilled +1, Holy Adversary's Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Amulet of Double Fortune +1

Fluff will come soon, I have a fairly basic outline right now, just need to write it.

11. - Top - End - #11

I am a huge fan of Innistrad! It was the first block I played in Magic (well, technically I joined during New Pherexia, but I didn't get to fully experience it.) I've never played 4e so I'll have to think about whether or not I want to pick up a new system. This does seem like the perfect time to run an undead-hunter rangers though!

12. - Top - End - #12

First of all, Happy to see so much interrest when I woke up! (I am located in The Netherlands, Europe)

@Elricaltovilla & Everyone About the classes. I would like to propose the following: As a human, remove the bonus at will power and gain +2 to an ability score of your choice. I think this will make it more profitable to choose a human. If you still want to choose the dwarf for it's racial specialties, please do (You can still move at 6 squares/30ft and you are medium size, but I see no problems with keeping low light vision and the bonusses to dungeoneering and endurence.

If people have problems with these adjustments, please let me know I am always open for advice.

@Drekkle, ptdapen & Everyone I will send you a PM with some stuff about 4.0 to help you out. If you can, please use the sheets provided on Myth-Weavers . You can make a free account there, go to sheets and fill it in, very convinient. Don't forget to save it now and then as you work on it . You can share the link so we can see the sheet on the boards. Using the sheet will also help you understand the character mechanics better (things like adding half your level and such)

About the PDF document. It's quite big, but very worthwile reading. You don't need to read everything of course, but it will give you a more than sufficient overview of all the lore. If someone has trouble downloading it, let me know.

I will put this information in the first post as wel.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-23 at 03:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

If I can get my hat in the ring, if not I'd like to be an alternate. Here's the majority of the nut and bolts http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.ht...3493#id=176472

I can make the changes you suggested still. And I still need to get the fluff together
    Spoiler: What am I?
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    Dark Secrets of Havengul 4e:
    OOC; IC

14. - Top - End - #14

Another victim for the unquenchable bloodlust of vampires, welcome!

Is it correct that your sheet is still empty? (maybe you set it to private?)

You still havea week to make a character so take your time to read through the lore and get to know the setting.

I will make de decision on the 30st of this month, so people are welcome to throw in their headgear and make a complete character untill that day. Unless the people already applied are done earlier than that and like to start sooner.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-23 at 07:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

That was not suppose to be empty, I either forgot hit save or it's set to private.

I have read a bit, I'm going for a long tooth 2 weapon ranger. Essentially he's completely human, but under a blessing/curse that when he gets seriously wounded he becomes more rabid and animal like. Essentially the idea is in the ballpark with Wolverine and were-wolfs.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

16. - Top - End - #16

A wolverine-like character is interresting, but will have some serious troubles. If you choose to play one, I want to ask you to read everything very thorough so you have a very clear idea of what and what is not fititng in this setting. As I wrote earlier, everything slightly leaning towards something unhuman will most likely be killed on the spot by either a professional hunter or an angry mob. Slight resemblence in certain circumstances should be alright, although you have to have very good reasons why you 1. have become a warrior of the church 2. your companions should not slash off your head the moment they see your wolverine side. I won't refuse a character like that, but it will be quite a challenge to stay alive like that in this very unforgiving world. If you need help I am more than willing to assist with helping you make your character fit.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Going for a Van Helsing kind of feel. This is Stanley Van Calhoon

Spoiler: Table of traits
    Show
    PRIMARY MOTIVATOR Liberation Sense of Humor Dry
    Emotional Disposition Angry SEXUALITY
    Moodiness phlegmatic Sexual Orientation Hetero
    CORE TRAITS Sexual Appetite healthy
    Outlook Pessimistic Sexual Expressiveness Modest
    Integrity Conscientious Sexual Expressive Style Romantic
    Impulsiveness Spontaneous Openness to sexual experience Narrow
    Boldness Intrepid Promiscuousness Low/Monogamous
    Flexibility Flexible RELIGION & SPIRITUALITY
    Affinity Cold Adherence casual adherent
    Comportment Discordant Tolerance Doesn’t care
    Interactivity Engaging Expression of beliefs Occasional
    Disclosure Secretive Converting others Never
    Conformity Conventional Attitude Humble
    Topics of Conversation Current Events; Hobbies and pastimes
    Quirks, Habits, & Oddities Blade sharpening, Sleeping in odd places, constant grooming
    Hobbies & Enjoyments Hunting, Philosophizing, Animal fighting

Spoiler: Story
    Show
    Grew up in a “normal” home, father was a farmer who knew just enough to teach Stanley how to fight. Though when it was clear Stanley was ambidextrous, he kept switching hands forgetting which one he was “suppose” to use, His dad had him extensively practicing with both against a scarecrow.

Soon he was quite skilled with the dual wielding style, and also quite strong. He would go out during the safest parts of the day and fight wildlife, bringing their carcasses home for meat. He came home to find his parents missing. He followed the trail to a cave. Inside he found a 2 mangled corpuses and being eaten by two very badly injured and very large wolves. Behind them was a sorcerer laughing manically. He sent the wolves after Stanley. They came at him furiously, and Stanley bravely held his ground and killed them. Had they not been badly injured Stanley wouldn’t have made it. He turned to the mad man and demanded to know where his parents were. He directed back at the wolves, now dead, they were truly his parents. Distracted by his own dark humor, the sorcerer didn’t see the enraged teen come upon him. With only a moment before his death, he uttered “Pārvērsties vilks” A strange symbol appeared briefly on Stanley’s forehead, along with a feral nagging.

With nowhere to go, Stanley turned to the church to report the incident, and to see if the curse could be removed. Upon hearing the story, the clergy asked if they could test the curse. Seeing how it works could help in removing it. They chained him and beat him, and with each new scar, Stanley become more feral. At first it was just his demeanor, but as the thrashing become more sever his fingernails be come longer and claw like, his hair grew long and his teeth became pointed and sharp. When he was beaten to an inch of his life, Stanley appeared as the strangest crossbreed between human and wolf any of the clergy had seen.

Upon being revived, Stanley regained his human appear and attitude. The clergy apologized for the beating and knowing nothing of the curse. They could possibly help research a cure, but only if Stanley become a devote servant of the church. He would have a place to sleep and food a plenty, but he would always have to answer the call to search out and destroy evil as it threatens the city.

Stanley became an expert in hunting and tracking, searching out caves and killing the evil he finds. However if he was ever injured he could not return to the city, on fear that people would notice the feral features.

He keeps a mirror on him to check his looks, ensuring nothing appears before he heads to the city. While amongst civilized society, Stanley keeps well cleaned and manicured. Its over done, and it appears vain, but anyone who knows his secret knows he is simply over compensating for the beast now within.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oh hell to the yes. I'm so, so in. Love Innistrad.

19. - Top - End - #19

Awesome and welcome.

I put you in the list. Enjoy reading everything

EDIT: If you find the other document a bit much to read, I reduced the amount of text to about 40 pages of information that it crucial, so that might lighten the burden a bit.

Here you can find the smaller document
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-23 at 11:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. I'm sure I will. I think I'm going to go with a Seeker, refluffed as using the power of angels instead, if that's okay?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Here's my sheet so far.

The backstory I think I'm going to go with is that the character was an experiment by a radical sect of the Avacyn church. Instead of relying on the waning power of white mana to fight off vampires they sought to create a new type of cathar that used primarily green mana (primal powers) to protect people and slay vampires (dryad's curse and whatnot). Thus you end up with a specially raised Warden, with a bit of a feral streak and a lot of naivete for fun roleplay opportunities.

Obviously, will continue to flesh things out as I go. Sheet Backstory is done. Also:

Spoiler
    Show

"Is it worth the risk?"
    "Do we have a choice? The wards grow steadily weaker, the light of Avacyn is fading. We must turn elsewhere for salvation."
    "That's Blasphemy!"
    "It is time to face the truth, brother. We must find a different weapon against the dark, lest the unthinkable happens. This boy, he could be our best chance. I'm not speaking of making deals with demons, or creating Skaab. I merely suggest using another of the blood drinker's weaknesses against them. We will train him the right way, he will be brought up under the church and he will learn his magic under close observation."
    "What of the parents?"
    "They'll be dealt with."

22. - Top - End - #22

@Firedaemon: I think that fits the setting perfectly (I think Saint Traft might be a nice example and inspiration for you)

@Elricaltovilla: Looking good, Yes sure! use all the info as you see fit :)
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-23 at 12:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, cool. Here's my in-progress sheet.

24. - Top - End - #24

Well, I showed up to post my finished sheet with background and such coming soon, but it looks like someone beat me to it. Probably just going to make a new character... would a Swordmage be okay?
    Last edited by Jalor; 2015-04-23 at 01:11 PM.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

25. - Top - End - #25

Poor Jalor. Swordmage is totally okay, you don't need to ask for pemission on this stuff :)

In the end I will choose 4 people, so you can either keep your original character or a new one. Only difference is that I probably will not take 2 with the same class, unless you are very different. I think you get the picture.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

My character, Thomas Utterson, a tactical warlord with forbidden knowledge, is finished:
    Thomas Utterson

27. - Top - End - #27

I just received a messages regarding languages. I would like to propose the following, and again please feel free to make any suggestions on the matter, you also have a say in the matter if you feel it should be different.

Languages spoken in Innistrad:
    Common (the common language everyone understands)
    High Gothic (nobleman, clergy and vampires (since they regard themselves most of the time as noble bloodlines. You could regard this as latin in the medieval times, only educated people would be able to read, speak and write this, although the language is the same in all provinces)
    Stensian (dialect spoken by sheep herders and local commoners in the province of Stensia)
    Gavonian (dialect spoken by farmers and townsfolk or smaller villages in Gavony)
    Kessig (dialect spoken by the forest people of Kessig and wherwolves)
    Nephalian (dialect spoken by citizen of the cities of Nephalia, merchants and underground figures)
    Spirits will communicate in the language they knew when they were alive. zombies are most of the time unintelligent and can't speak.

As someone from another province you might recognize some words and you may be able to understand about 20-30% of what someone is saying in their dialect. You however are not able to speak in the dialect and when comversations get more complex the percentage quickly drops and you are pretty much clueless what they are brabbling about.

I hope this will make the languages options a bit more fun.

If your class or race would speak more than just common, just switch elven, or whatever language you would speak for one of these, fitting your own background.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-23 at 03:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Updated my character sheet a bit. Are we starting with magic items per the Players guide? At level 3 we should have 1 level 2 item, 1 level 3 item and 1 level 4 item plus enough gold to buy a second level 2 item correct?

29. - Top - End - #29

Yup you should have 3 items. one of your level, one of your level+1 and one of your level -1. I think the amount of gold should be alright, that would be 520 gp.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvyn View Post
    Yup you should have 3 items. one of your level, one of your level+1 and one of your level -1. I think the amount of gold should be alright, that would be 520 gp.
    Thank you. My character should be done completely tomorrow or saturday. And then I can just keep working on backstory fun.