Lore of Innistrad
    Recruitment Thread

Spoiler: Map of Innistrad
    Show

General Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

Be nice
    Probably unnecessary to mention; be polite and nice towards eachother, yada yada yada..

My English
    My mother tongue is Dutch so I might make quite some grammar mistakes and probably will use some saying that would not make sense. I will do my best to use fitting language for the setting, but from my experince I simply lack the more extended vocabulary to make detailed and varied descriptions. I willdo my best to keep things as interresting as I can, but I might not always keep up to your expectations. If something is not clear or I wrote something and you cannot get good feel of what my intention is, please let me know here in the OOC or in a PM. I am well aware of this minor language barrier and I won't be offended if you do. I rather have you ask me than that we end up in some unpleasant misunderstanding IC.

Posting once a day
    It sounds a bit harsh, but I like everyone to post once a day, that would be perfect. More is awesome of course! If someone stops posting the game loses its momentum, players lose interest and others stop posting as wel. I have seen many games bleed out like this, I won't let that happen.
    In combat if you do not post within the set timeframe I will let your character make a basic attack against the nearest enemy, so we keep the fight going.

Real Life
    I understand that real life is important. If you really have to be away for a certain amount of time, let us know in advance and I will roleplay your character the best I can. In real life campaign we often let the missing player eat grass and act like a person with a mental condition, but I will spare you the IC embarrisment. If it is cleat you won't come back after a while we will find a replacement.

In Game Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

Posting
    When you post, please start with writing your character name at the top and then write whatever you want to post. It's not mandatory and I wont put you againt the wall if you forget it, but it will help me alot not getting confused with character names. Example

IC and OOC
    IC = In character
    OOC = out of character

Where do I write what and how?
    When your character speaks please use a colour. You choose a colour here in the OOC thread for your character.
    When you want to show us that your character says soemthing to himself in his/her mind you can do so by using your color and make it italic, although mentioning you are thinking it also makes it clear. Whatever you prefer.
    When you want to say something OOC in the IC thread you can put it in spoiler.
    When you make rolls for whatever you can put it in a spoiler
    When you make rolls, please name them, so it is clear what you are rolling for and against what. (For example {roll=Holy Smite vs Will}1d20+3{/roll}.)

Important: When you make an attack you do ALL the rolls for that attack wether it hits or not and list all effects tht would happen if it would hit. something like this:
    {roll=Holy Smite vs Will}1d20+3{/roll}.
    If this hits: {roll=Damage}3d6+4{/roll} and the target is dazed intill the end of his next turn. If it doesn't hit take half damage and the target is not dazed.
    Again, all this will be put in a spoiler.

How do I roleplay?
    I won't tell you how to roleplay and you as a player have almost unlimited freedom in this game. It is however important that you act accordingly in regard to the setting and your personality.
    With almost unlimited freedom I mean that I don't really have a set story in my head and even if I do, I will absolutly encourage anything creative you come u with, even if this means abandoning the original storyline if that makes sense. As a DM I am an advocate of creativity and letting the players tell the story. Don't hold back and let the story develop naturally.

This group
    Spoiler
    Show

As you know I sent you a message with some questions, this had a very important goal and I thank yuou all for taking the time to fill them out. It will help me alot to make this game as enjoyable for you as I can. There are many more reasons why I chose these groups, but the following are the most general.

Playstyle
    You four prefered besides roleplay a bit more combat then the the other group. THe campaign will mostly be around the story and roleplaying, but I will certainly build some sweet encounters for you where you can use your character sheet and powers you selected to it's full potential.

Grim darkness
    You all prefered a not too dark grim setting. Sure you like the innistrad lore and the 'hopelessnes' of the situation, but I had the feeling you would like a bit more lighter than the other four. I also had the feel, but correct me if I'm wrong, that you like a bit more fantasy-ish theme and not utter realism. I know you like things to be wel done, and combat to be realistic and I think I will do good if I balance those two aspects a bit in this group.

Party lineup
    You are all melee classes, so combat will be brutal and intense. I think you will like this. It is also a factor I took into account when making the groups.

Player Class Character Description
    DragonBones Warlord Thomas Utterson A reserved, tactical warlord and veteran cathar, fighting evil with forbidden lore of his departed father in search for redemption for errors of his past.
    Elricaltovilla Warden Timaeus A large feral warrior, faithfull and dutyfull, but naive and sometimes overconfident of his talents in being a holy weapon against the darkness.
    Lank Fighter Boris Burkham This honorable man of nobleblood left his famaily home to fight evil in the mercenary band known as Lorholt's Fist. When they fell into a trap and had to fight to the death, he was the only one to survive and now is more resiliant then ever
    Rafet Ranger Stanley von Croft This feral ranger has a dark secret that almost got him killed in search for a solution. Almost vain he now hides this secret serving the church as a hunter of evil.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-27 at 12:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC GROUP 2] Dark Secrets of Havengul

Reserved for more text

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm ready to go. Timaeus will use Saddle Brown for his voice color.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I need to sort out magic items, and maybe add some more stuff to my background, and then I'm ready to start.
    I'll take dark blue as my colour.
    Last edited by DragonBones; 2015-04-25 at 03:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Take your time DB, we should start once everyone is ready to.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'm out of town, So I check on my phone, but I can't give it much attention, I'll speak in dark green.
    Spoiler: What am I?
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    Dark Secrets of Havengul 4e:
    OOC; IC

7. - Top - End - #7

I got a very good point from one of your felow players.

Since it will be a combat light campaign, I would like to give you the following:

Either have an extra skill of your choice or take the Ritual Caster or Alchemy feat as free bonus feat.

You would also be very helpfull if you would take a look at eachother's character sheet, Firstly because I cannot check all your sheets by myself and secondly it helps you roleplay better with the person.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Hey guys,
    I am fired up and ready to go so the only changes I will be making to me sheet will probably be to fix spelling.
    Boris shall speak in orange
    If that colour is to difficult to see on you monitor let me know. I live in Australia so I am GMT+10.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvyn View Post
    I got a very good point from one of your felow players.

Since it will be a combat light campaign, I would like to give you the following:

Either have an extra skill of your choice or take the Ritual Caster or Alchemy feat as free bonus feat.

You would also be very helpfull if you would take a look at eachother's character sheet, Firstly because I cannot check all your sheets by myself and secondly it helps you roleplay better with the person.
    Is this addressed to everyone, or to one specific person?

10. - Top - End - #10

To everyone :) so you can tweet your sheet a littlebit and buy rituals if you like to. I apologize for mentioning this so late, but it seemed to me like a good addition.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-26 at 03:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

To everyone :) so you can tweet your sheet a littlebit and buy rituals if you like to. I apologize for mentioning this so late, but it seemed to me like a good addition.
    Good to know, I was starting to feel a little silly playing a Cathar "superweapon" that couldn't tell a vampire from a horseshoe. So I'll be picking up dungeoneering as a skill. I never got an answer to my question about whether the Eberron Dragon Marks are allowed as feats. I'd like to take Mark of Warding because, well it just makes sense

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

I picked history. My character is 48 years old so it makes sence that he would have a good knowledge of history.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've sorted out all my gear, and while I might add stuff to my background, all my character choices are made. I am ready to start.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Good to know, I was starting to feel a little silly playing a Cathar "superweapon" that couldn't tell a vampire from a horseshoe. So I'll be picking up dungeoneering as a skill. I never got an answer to my question about whether the Eberron Dragon Marks are allowed as feats. I'd like to take Mark of Warding because, well it just makes sense
    Sorry I missed it, yes sure, you are pretty much alowed to use anything from any book. My only tip (not really requirement) is to list the source of the stuff you use on your sheet, so you can always look it up.

Rafet is somewhere in the US, so he should wake up any time soon, lazy bastard when we get his permission we can go! I am just as excited as you to get this party started
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-26 at 10:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

I am just about to go to bed haha it is 1:34 am over here. In other news literally half an hour ago I just did a TPK with my wild magic sorcerer in 5th edition. Very devastating when fireball goes of on a level 1 party.

16. - Top - End - #16

Good night, We'll see your post your tomorrow morning then ;)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

What about the rest of us, should we wait until tomorrow morning to post, or is everybody ready now?

18. - Top - End - #18

I thought Rafet needed more time, But I am sure it won't be much if there is anything he needs to do.

I would say, Go ahead and post, the ones missing will catch up pretty soon, it's not like there is a vampire behind that door you need to fight, that massacred the entire Inn and is waiting for a worthy challenge.... or is there?

Let the games begin!

EDIT: I also added this to the first post. If something is not right or I misinterpetated something, let me know.
    This group
    Spoiler
    Show

As you know I sent you a message with some questions, this had a very important goal and I thank yuou all for taking the time to fill them out. It will help me alot to make this game as enjoyable for you as I can. There are many more reasons why I chose these groups, but the following are the most general.

Playstyle
    You four prefered besides roleplay a bit more combat then the the other group. THe campaign will mostly be around the story and roleplaying, but I will certainly build some sweet encounters for you where you can use your character sheet and powers you selected to it's full potential.

Grim darkness
    You all prefered a not too dark grim setting. Sure you like the innistrad lore and the 'hopelessnes' of the situation, but I had the feeling you would like a bit more lighter than the other four. I also had the feel, but correct me if I'm wrong, that you like a bit more fantasy-ish theme and not utter realism. I know you like things to be wel done, and combat to be realistic and I think I will do good if I balance those two aspects a bit in this group.

Party lineup
    You are all melee classes, so combat will be brutal and intense. I think you will like this. It is also a factor I took into account when making the groups.

Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-26 at 12:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'm back from the weekend, though I'm sure you any of you early risers will be up in a few hours. I took insight, being paranoid at first, that people see him as freak even when's normal, has led to him to learning how to read others better.
    Last edited by rafet; 2015-04-26 at 08:12 PM.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

20. - Top - End - #20

Lank,

You can either tell them what the others would know with general knowledge of history. Or you can tell them, I will leave that up to you.

Nobility has many forms. Like you could be the second son of a mayor, that would be gentry or be a higher placed noblemen from an ancient bloodline who as family in high ranks of the church or is gouvering an entire province. I think you would be rather the first than the second. But I will let you tell the story :)
    Just so you know Innistrad is more or less a theocracy, with noble families actually managing the provinces. There might be friction between the worldy and heavenly powers in Innistrad, both claiming to have the actual power. Most of the time working together and nowdays more relying on eachother than before, but still trying to come out on top when things would get better over time.

In any case I think having a chat wirh the group would be very usefull :)
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-27 at 08:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

I'll wait for the others to reply to my introduction first. Boris is labelled as a hero but he doesn't really identify himself as one. If the party do not ask why he thinks they would already know him he simply will not say because he dislikes braggarts and boasting.

This may seem irrelevant I am assuming under the theocracy succession would be handled by cardinals similar to the catholic church. Also what succession laws would be in place for noble families? I imagine primogeniture or gavelkind. This is just for future reference.
    Last edited by Lank; 2015-04-27 at 09:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

I would say primogeniture would be the case for the actual high places. Younger children will be given a smaller piece of land like a town and surrounding lands for example or become a priest in a church. This way the nobel family would secure the succession as 'duke' as wel as more local influence in the towns. They could however also start their own little dynasty in a particular village. For example the mayor of a village might be a far relative of the ruler of Kessig, but not identify himself with them and try to rule the area on his own and even clash with the lord higher in rank than himself. Not really with military power, but more on a personal way. The people in general don't really care who is the current ruler, unless he shows alot of affection to his people or does alot of effort to protect them, which the lower places gentry tries to do, to gain more personal fame and influence.

I hope you kind of get what I am picturing. alot of rivalry, but not even close to open warfare, because they simply cannot afford that, and it would also not be profitable for either side. Connections are everything and the longer you rule the more respect you gain.

Look at Stensia, there vampires are the majority of the rulers, whether or not this is known by the local townsfolk, they earn alot of respect because they built up alot of connections over time all over the area and therefor have alot of power. These rulers won't be opposed easily and if you do, you will be isolated from political friends befire you know it. It really depends on the lord in question, but murder and assassination is most of the time not a measure that is used to quickly. It hurts your own reputation, although sometimes you can affort the loss of some prestige and make sure someone 'dissapears'. Most of the time just undermining your opponent's base of power works just fine.

As for your situation, to not wander off from the topic too much. It is certainly not weird to have no real property as someone of noble blood. You might have a relative luxuous life, but not have any political influence, maybe by choice maybe because you're the third son from a side of the family of a very small place. You still carry the name and it is up to you what you make of it.
    Last edited by Cilvyn; 2015-04-27 at 10:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

would you guys be interrested in something like a steam or skype group conversation? We could chat more easily like that and still sue the forums for the important stuff.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I don't really like skype. I have a steam account but I never really use it since I'm currently saving up for a computer that can actually run good games right now. I'm not opposed to the idea I just don't know that it would add much to a PbP game. Then again, I've never tried it before.

25. - Top - End - #25

It's most usefull for random chitchat about the game, raising small questions or laighing about funny in game situations. It is not at all mandatory and if someone wouldn't like it, that's totally fine. I have a groupchat with the other group and it is quite fun. You can also try it and if it isn't something for you can always let us know by then, just an idea.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't really use steam for chat, because my computer isn't working at the moment, and so I'm using my tablet currently.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'm for it, but I'm not sure when I could do it
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

28. - Top - End - #28

maybe we'll do it later when the situation calls for it.

Now let me know what the other two will do before we continue!

Furthermore I am always open for suggestions for things you would like to see in the story. Like if you very much like the innkeeper to be a wherewolf Or maybe really don't like traveling and just want to get to Nephalia without further interventions like sidestories on the way there (I just think of something random, now) let me know. I can always draw inspiration from it and I get a better picture of what kind events you enjoy. PM away, anytime

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

maybe we'll do it later when the situation calls for it.

Now let me know what the other two will do before we continue!

Furthermore I am always open for suggestions for things you would like to see in the story. Like if you very much like the innkeeper to be a wherewolf Or maybe really don't like traveling and just want to get to Nephalia without further interventions like sidestories on the way there (I just think of something random, now) let me know. I can always draw inspiration from it and I get a better picture of what kind events you enjoy. PM away, anytime
    If we don't get ambushed by something on the way to Nephalia, we're doing something wrong.

I might send you a PM soon with some specific plot points I'd like for Timaeus, but that will likely depend on what direction his story takes.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    This man openly stated that he acted contrary to the will of the church! Timaeus fought back the urge to smite him then and there. The other Cathars seemed unconcerned by his statements, and Timaeus had been taught to defer to their judgement. He was a weapon to be wielded. A sword did not draw itself.
    I was waitintg for something like this