New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft XIII: Achievement Get: Bukkit Kicked

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    The current survival world is most certainly not in either peaceful or creative. I believe it defaults to hard, actually, though please don't quote me on that, with teleportation and creepers not causing block damage being the only "easy mode" changes.
    Oh, I know it was only in that state for a short while, but knowing it was in that state kills it for me.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

The current survival world is most certainly not in either peaceful or creative. I believe it defaults to hard, actually, though please don't quote me on that, with teleportation and creepers not causing block damage being the only "easy mode" changes.
    The current difficulty of the map is on hard, yet we have griefing from creepers off, so they can still damage players, but they will not cause damage to terrain. The map is also Large biomes, so this is literally a new hardcore, except that people can opt to use god mode if they don't want to play the game in survival.
    Note Griefers will be drawn and quartered

Sincerely your Admin,
    HeavensAngel

You can't beat Minecraft!

Multigaming community creator and leader! Clan Tri Force, visit us at http://www.triforceclan.com/
    or join us on our Teamspeak 3 server at:
    clantriforce.kicks-ass.org:9999
    password: Tri-Force

Gaming has been a great way to get to know people. That's part of what I love about games, that they are social.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Oh, I know it was only in that state for a short while, but knowing it was in that state kills it for me.
    I'm confused. You want to play under your own specific rules, with everyone else required to play by those rules in that world. The fact that those rules currently apply is void because in the past they briefly didn't apply.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm confused. You want to play under your own specific rules, with everyone else required to play by those rules in that world. The fact that those rules currently apply is void because in the past they briefly didn't apply.
    I'm assuming he thinks that the first day or so had everyone in creative mode and so everyone who played at that time has chests full of diamond blocks and equipment with impossible enchantments or something. This, of course, is not the case. Either that, or he thinks that there's a lot of stuff that was built in peaceful mode that significantly advantage the server's citizens, which is also not the case.

No one is really advantaged more than they would be if it had been in hard mode from the first second after the reset. People who are wealthy are wealthy because they've put in the time to become wealthy.

5. - Top - End - #185

Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    I'm assuming he thinks that the first day or so had everyone in creative mode and so everyone who played at that time has chests full of diamond blocks and equipment with impossible enchantments or something. This, of course, is not the case. Either that, or he thinks that there's a lot of stuff that was built in peaceful mode that significantly advantage the server's citizens, which is also not the case.

No one is really advantaged more than they would be if it had been in hard mode from the first second after the reset. People who are wealthy are wealthy because they've put in the time to become wealthy.
    I don't really doubt the integrity of the players on this server. But having played on our take on "survival", super cheaty "survival" and our "hardcore", I found HC to be a lot more fun and satisfying. And I feel that it's both because of how I play on HC and how the other players play. Building a giant thing legit when there are other things built with the help of game mods or admin powers is just less fun.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

are the old libary worlds such as RP world up yet by any chance? or is that thing still on the backburner?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, this talk about worlds and people being spread apart is making me consider another possible solution: Bringing the old worlds back as read-only, so that people can still explore the many constructions of people, but all the building will be in just one survival world, one hardcore world, one rp world, and so on, rather than our current scattered mess. The reason the worlds haven't come back up is that minecraft hasn't been able to convert the player data, and bringing back the worlds without the player data would be unfair because inventories would be lost but chests would not, and so on, and trying to convert the player data myself involves huge hacks and I'd worry about it getting corrupted and so on. Just bringing back the worlds as a read-only archive would only require making a plugin to disable saving, excluding them from new backups, and reconfiguring other plugins; I could likely have it up within a week. What do you guys think?

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be cool with that. I had what I considered to be a fairly fancy house in the release world I think it was, but my building skills have improved since then and looking back at my memories of it I don't think I'd want to go back to it.

The server consistently seemed kind of abandoned before the reset. It doesn't seem like many people had any major ongoing projects that they might want to complete. The only project I had been working on before I got bored was an iron farm design that I hear no longer works, so I don't care about having the worlds set to read-only from that standpoint.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Actually, this talk about worlds and people being spread apart is making me consider another possible solution: Bringing the old worlds back as read-only, so that people can still explore the many constructions of people, but all the building will be in just one survival world, one hardcore world, one rp world, and so on, rather than our current scattered mess. The reason the worlds haven't come back up is that minecraft hasn't been able to convert the player data, and bringing back the worlds without the player data would be unfair because inventories would be lost but chests would not, and so on, and trying to convert the player data myself involves huge hacks and I'd worry about it getting corrupted and so on. Just bringing back the worlds as a read-only archive would only require making a plugin to disable saving, excluding them from new backups, and reconfiguring other plugins; I could likely have it up within a week. What do you guys think?
    Works for me. The worldgen is supposed to be future-proofed now, anyway.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2015-07-17 at 12:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really see any unfairness in losing player inventories but not chest inventories, but it sounds like that's not on the table or at least not a stance shared by others. So yeah, read-only is acceptable for me.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm good for read-only. Allows us to see how we built a previous building if we really liked it, and recreate it without cheats or hacks.

Now that we've got command blocks incorporated, would anyone like to try and see if we can't get a TF2 styled PvP arena set up with capture the points, and such? I had wanted to try and get it started before the restart, but command blocks hadn't been introduced at that time. Now that we've had command blocks for a while, and there's several people with experience using them, I feel like we can make it work. I'll also try and get The Walls and the PvP arenas back up and functioning with command blocks (I've got a lot of learning to do, unless someone wants to help me).
    Note Griefers will be drawn and quartered

Sincerely your Admin,
    HeavensAngel

You can't beat Minecraft!

Multigaming community creator and leader! Clan Tri Force, visit us at http://www.triforceclan.com/
    or join us on our Teamspeak 3 server at:
    clantriforce.kicks-ass.org:9999
    password: Tri-Force

Gaming has been a great way to get to know people. That's part of what I love about games, that they are social.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

aye. main reason i want RP world back for the most part is so i can get a copy of a build i made in there that i've been wanting to work on in a creative serve, so being able to just see it would be fine.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Removed 1,400 chickens that were crashing the server. Snipscisor, please build autofarms that don't produce infinity chickens and then I'll spawn some back in.

Added.
    I apologise, i didn't read this yet and put a few chickens in the farm again, not a lot. did that crash the server again?

again, i am sorry

If i did i will demolish the machine and just fill the building with chickens from another farm
    Last edited by snipscisor; 2015-07-17 at 04:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snipscisor View Post
    I apologise, i didn't read this yet and put a few chickens in the farm again, not a lot. did that crash the server again?
    A few days ago I noticed that the server was lagging badly, went to your KFC, and found that it had huge amounts of chickens again. I killed the bottom set and added in a lever to switch off the automatic chicken spawner.

You could probably refit the thing so that it either instantly kills chickens once they grow up or stops spawning them if there's too many in the waiting area, though the latter might be hard to engineer. There is a way to instantly kill chickens that become an adult, though it's bigger than what you've got.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

A few days ago I noticed that the server was lagging badly, went to your KFC, and found that it had huge amounts of chickens again. I killed the bottom set and added in a lever to switch off the automatic chicken spawner.

You could probably refit the thing so that it either instantly kills chickens once they grow up or stops spawning them if there's too many in the waiting area, though the latter might be hard to engineer. There is a way to instantly kill chickens that become an adult, though it's bigger than what you've got.
    Yeah, sorry about that

Maybe i could hook the lava up the the egg dispenser so that anytime an egg is thrown, the lava pops on and any grown chickens would die. it would be a bit random but would stop infinite chickens. Keeping the lava permanent would burn the drops, thats why the lava needed to be turned off

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

For once I'm not just gonna lurk on the thread! I was working on getting villagers and ran into a gold armored spider jockey: screencap http://imgur.com/qlfBkZW

also, I should hopefully have an iron farm up and running soon-ish if anyone is interested. :D *fades back into the nothingness of space*
    (enter witty phrase here)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snipscisor View Post
    Maybe i could hook the lava up the the egg dispenser so that anytime an egg is thrown, the lava pops on and any grown chickens would die. it would be a bit random but would stop infinite chickens. Keeping the lava permanent would burn the drops, thats why the lava needed to be turned off
    It's much larger in terms of horizontal space, but if you have a 3x3 layer of hoppers with slabs on top, a sign in the center above that, and lava all around the sign, then have the dispenser shoot into an empty block above all that, chickens will spawn, fall into the center of the lava, and then sit on the slabs until they grow up, when they'll become large enough for the lava to kill them. Some of the drops will be lost, but not all.

It might still be a bad idea to leave on all the time, and you may want to put fewer chickens than you have been in the breeding part of the device, but such a thing should cause less problems than the design you had.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

It's much larger in terms of horizontal space, but if you have a 3x3 layer of hoppers with slabs on top, a sign in the center above that, and lava all around the sign, then have the dispenser shoot into an empty block above all that, chickens will spawn, fall into the center of the lava, and then sit on the slabs until they grow up, when they'll become large enough for the lava to kill them. Some of the drops will be lost, but not all.
    I do not know exactly what you mean, and my first version had the lava on all the time and strangely all drops were lost so i added a monostable circuit to be safe.

It might still be a bad idea to leave on all the time, and you may want to put fewer chickens than you have been in the breeding part of the device, but such a thing should cause less problems than the design you had.
    I only put a few chickens this time so there are only approx. under 20 babies in the lava chamber and as soon as they grow they will be burned when another egg is thrown, maybe replacing that chicken, maybe not, making it run slower.

There are the times when an egg is thrown and there are no adults in the lava chamber and the egg may release a chicken, this keeps a ruffly stable amount of chickens.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Katsha View Post
    For once I'm not just gonna lurk on the thread! I was working on getting villagers and ran into a gold armored spider jockey: screencap http://imgur.com/qlfBkZW

also, I should hopefully have an iron farm up and running soon-ish if anyone is interested. :D *fades back into the nothingness of space*
    I'm famous C:

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

https://mojang.com/2015/07/minecraft-snapshot-15w31a/
    Shield up!
    Minecraft update! Melee edition.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I kind of have a new definition of o.o after playing with mods for so long.

Mekanism, for example, includes a whole host of armors which have various properties but on the whole tend to be superior to most of what you can find in vanilla, although making them can be a royal pain. And then the mod author hard-coded these armors to be able to be worn by zombies and skeletons and any other mob that anyone else might add that can wear armor. Then significantly boosted (although this is configurable in the config file) the odds of them wearing said armor.

For example, glowstone armor requires diamond dust, some fairly expensive machinery, and of course glowstone to create the ingots to make. Its durability is worse even than gold armor, however its defensive capability is astounding... as long as it lasts (something like a durability of 24, I believe).

There's also additional mobs that are added... like a baby skeleton whose arrows are every bit as painful as regular skeletons (and has just as much a chance of getting an enchanted bow), which is riding on a chicken. Not only does this make it immune to fall damage, which means it is actually rather inclined to jump into a ravine after you, shooting at you while slowly descending, but it also runs stupidly fast. And swims faster than you do.

Now imagine said chicken, with diamond horse armor barding, being ridden by a baby skeleton with a punch bow and glowstone armor.

But it could be worse... in Ender Zoo, there's a witch that comes with a Wither Cat as a familiar. Yes, the cat does apply Wither when it hits you. And it is as fast as a wild cat trying to run away from you. Only now it is running at you. Now you know how a creeper feels when you hear that meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah right, Wither Cats... quite aggressive and deadly from what I've seen so far. They do like them wither. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

How recent was the change that required diamond dust to make glowstone ingots? I remember it just using an Osmium Compressor, Osmium, and Glowstone Dust... Diamond dust was just used in making the refined obsidian stuff, and I don't recall that generating on mobs. Oy, too bad the FMP dependency put Mekanism out of scope for my next modpack, those endgame machines look wicked.

Are there any simple mods for controlling biome generation for 1.7.10? I'd like to see about just making biomes smaller in general, reducing the ocean sizes, and removing the whole temperature themes to just generate biomes randomly. I previously did the sizing and oceans thing with Biomies O' Plenty, but... reeeeeally don't want to dig through that mod's config file and disable the thousands of other stuff it adds.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    How recent was the change that required diamond dust to make glowstone ingots? I remember it just using an Osmium Compressor, Osmium, and Glowstone Dust... Diamond dust was just used in making the refined obsidian stuff, and I don't recall that generating on mobs. Oy, too bad the FMP dependency put Mekanism out of scope for my next modpack, those endgame machines look wicked.
    Yea, the diamond dust is now required for all of the glowstone/lapis/refined obsidian armor, and all of them will spawn on mobs these days.

Does Mekanism have FMP dependency? I didn't think it did, although some of its parts could be multipart compatible.

Are there any simple mods for controlling biome generation for 1.7.10? I'd like to see about just making biomes smaller in general, reducing the ocean sizes, and removing the whole temperature themes to just generate biomes randomly. I previously did the sizing and oceans thing with Biomies O' Plenty, but... reeeeeally don't want to dig through that mod's config file and disable the thousands of other stuff it adds.
    Yea, BoP's config file is a legendary slog, but that's the only way I can think of offhand that will let you do it. ATG actively builds in the temperature theme and builds upon it, so that's kind of the opposite direction you are going. Just not that many terrain mods out there.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Does Mekanism have FMP dependency? I didn't think it did, although some of its parts could be multipart compatible.
    At least when I was looking at it a few months back, it silently downloaded FMP for you if it wasn't there already because the universal cables, mechanical pipes, and pressurized tubes all relied on it. It was apparently the easiest way to add support for hiding them behind blocks, which is something that doesn't cater to my particular playstyle but was in demand by others. I know Applied Energistics 2 doesn't grab FMP but does support it, but I'm really hesitant to suggest to someone to make their mod more like AE2.
    ---

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I personally like massive Biomes, but my preferred Biome mod has become Highlands. The variety is good, temperature differences are separated by Shrublands, which are like plains, but with more low trees, and some of the big biomes are so large and impressive you can't help but stare. Especially things like the Flying mountains, or the Alps.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    At least when I was looking at it a few months back, it silently downloaded FMP for you if it wasn't there already because the universal cables, mechanical pipes, and pressurized tubes all relied on it. It was apparently the easiest way to add support for hiding them behind blocks, which is something that doesn't cater to my particular playstyle but was in demand by others. I know Applied Energistics 2 doesn't grab FMP but does support it, but I'm really hesitant to suggest to someone to make their mod more like AE2.
    Actually, AE2 is completely non-FMP. It has its own facade system (much like Buildcraft's only with less derp) to conceal wiring.

I'm also REALLY enjoying AE2's foibles, actually enjoying it way more than the original AE now. In fact, I just build a 4 x 4 x 4 cube of Interfaces and Molecular Assemblers which greatly resembles an old-style MAC. 32*9 recipes comes out to just about 4.5 pages of recipes on the old system, and it will run much faster because each interface is adjacent to six MA's meaning it runs up to six crafting actions at once.

Here's some guides I have written on the topic that might help.

Applied Energistics 2 for Newbies (A Reference Guide for the Rest Of Us!)
    Steve's First ME Network

Channel Surfing for Newbies (A Reference Guide for the Rest Of Us!)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I'm also REALLY enjoying AE2's foibles, actually enjoying it way more than the original AE now.
    They're both too easy, just like EE2 or SFM, at least in my opinion.

Thoseseem to me like they make the game easier than Dartcraft does. DARTCRAFT! The mod that adds fortune IV pickaxes that also auto-macerate things!

...Yeah, I think I've gotten that power-creep rant out of my system now. I'm not entirely sure.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Thoseseem to me like they make the game easier than Dartcraft does. DARTCRAFT! The mod that adds fortune IV pickaxes that also auto-macerate things!
    Coming back after a little over a year without playing Minecraft, I found I needed Tears for something in my new world, so I tried unsuccessfully to shear my cows. Turns out I needed Dartcraft's Heat Shears for that, and didn't have Dartcraft installed anymore.

Power creep is right.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.