New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft XIII: Achievement Get: Bukkit Kicked

What would be a good name for a pack that doesn't contain Gregtech, but feels like it does?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

PseudoGrindHouse?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What would be a good name for a pack that doesn't contain Gregtech, but feels like it does?
    Punishing Grindfest?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

I was hoping for a name that was less negative-propoganda-y.

Yes, it would be hard; yes, it would be grindy; and yes, it would have an exceedingly long tech tree... but are all of those really bad, necessarily? The first and (especially) second apply to most skyblocks, and those are some of the most popular maps of all time! This pack would be designed to have all that without being an actual skyblock. Death shouldn't be too punishing, merely a minor setback. Really, there are four main things that Gregtech inspired me to include in this:

• High difficulty
    • Heavy (but not necessarily extreme) grindiness
    • A very, very LOOOOONG tech tree
    • One-way Forge equivalencies (such as "stainless steel works as steel, but regular steel doesn't work as stainless steel")
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-08-30 at 08:18 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Unless GregTech has changed significantly since I gave up on it, I wouldn't say that GregTech is difficult. I mean, okay, if you rig up your wiring backwards or place machines outdoors, yes, you end up with a sizable hole where your base used to be, but there's not much "difficult" from a gameplay perspective in searching forums for which wire goes where, and putting together a 16-step long recipe. So, yeah, my suggestion is calling it "The Recipe That Doesn't End!" and playing the name out as over-the-top as possible, with sock puppets singing a certain song for the description. Forge equivalencies (Oredictionary entries) could be customized through MineTweaker, but adding specific ore types might require other stuff. Like, you could make it so dustIron and some-arbitrary-resource is needed to make a new dust that actually becomes Iron when smelted, but getting some-arbitrary-resource to drop is a different matter. (And, frankly? If I see one more JSON file this year, it'll be too soon.)

People tell me that Reika's mods, like ChromatiCraft and RotaryCraft, are a solid demonstration of long tech trees. I personally would find ThaumCraft in that group as well, and perhaps Botania, though that one keeps itself fairly tame.

In other challenge/grind news? Day 31 of TerraFirmaCraft. I have a Fishing Rod. Yes.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    In other challenge/grind news? Day 31 of TerraFirmaCraft. I have a Fishing Rod. Yes.
    Oohhh, now you have a source of meat!

Dairy is the hardest to get, though. The only source of dairy is from cows, which means you have to find at least one female cow in the world somewhere, although more would be better. Then you have to get said cow back to your base. And do the familiarization thing.

The trick is that cows only spawn in certain biomes and tend to be in colder climes than is generally preferred for actually living in. Which means you may need to go a significant distance north/south to find them. And protect them from all comers while you get them back.

Chickens are also an excellent source of meat because both eggs and chicks happen frequently. It's a steady renewable supply of meat. Pigs work too. The upside is that they give hides. The downside is that it takes longer for the pigsplosion and no feathers for your arrows (because bow and arrow is still the best weapon setup around).

Sheep are also found in colder climes and can be a pain to find if you spawned near the equator. And are needed for the wool to make string.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Botania's isn't strictly long. It's actually all available at the start (Elven gateway info aside) it's just a matter of acquiring the resources to implement it. For all that it adds, it's possibly the most vanilla friendly mod I've ever played with. The progression is almost the same as you get in vanilla.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    If hardcore people would rather have the one and only be large biomes I can delete it and do that. Just don't want to have so many worlds everywhere.
    Having played on newhardcore long enough to have a base I'd be sad to see go away, I still think switching to Large Biomes is the way to go. I also think the call needs to be made ASAP either way.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2015-08-31 at 06:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what sounds clever? A Minetweaker addon that lets you specify randomize recipe inputs (like Cray Crafting does with outputs) but only for recipes you actively set it (via Minetweaker script) to do so with, and only within parameters set in that script.

Anyone think they could make something like that? It isn't terribly important, but it would be nice...
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

Newhardcore has now been switched to large biomes.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Oohhh, now you have a source of meat!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but... No, animals are not happening anytime (geologically) soon. The numbers that be have decided to leave me high and dry when it comes to any kind of animal, and on the few I've seen, no edibles have dropped. Leather would likewise be a wasted investment, as I have no flux to turn my raw hides into soaked hides- and if I had flux, I'd just skip leather armor and go straight into copper armor at this point (provided I don't completely screw up the blacksmithing game). I've instead been blessed with three cherry trees and a sufficient amount of crops, so I'll just have a major calcium deficiency in my diet.

The string for the fishing rod came from a spider, I don't see much functionality in collecting wool outside of making a bed (which, to be honest, would be very nice as I'm on an old version that doesn't have the straw bed), so sheep just aren't handy. Arrows would be a boon, indeed, but combat so far hasn't been a concern. [/famous last words]
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but... No, animals are not happening anytime (geologically) soon.
    I think he means that fish are considered part of the meat food-group in TFC. It makes sense, too!
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

The rest of his post was encouraging me to seek out Cows, Chickens, Pigs, and Sheep, I just didn't include that in my post because there isn't much point in quoting all that just to say "No." Just trying to keep things to the point.

Speaking of to the point, is there a way I can just get the coords to one of my old /warps? Er, one of the warps on the new map, but not the new hardcore map, that can't be accessed due to the kajiggering of things. If I could please just get the X and Z for wufNetherTop, I won't have any problem getting there and won't need teleporting or anything, but I haven't the foggiest of where it actually is. Well, other than "up."
    ---

14. - Top - End - #254

The rest of his post was encouraging me to seek out Cows, Chickens, Pigs, and Sheep, I just didn't include that in my post because there isn't much point in quoting all that just to say "No." Just trying to keep things to the point.

Speaking of to the point, is there a way I can just get the coords to one of my old /warps? Er, one of the warps on the new map, but not the new hardcore map, that can't be accessed due to the kajiggering of things. If I could please just get the X and Z for wufNetherTop, I won't have any problem getting there and won't need teleporting or anything, but I haven't the foggiest of where it actually is. Well, other than "up."
    It should show up in /warp list if you can find the right page.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Eeyup, the magick words were /warp list -c CrispyChicken, where CrispyChicken is replaced by the Minecraft user name of the warp author. Thanks again for the help, I don't get on a lot of different servers so I have trouble keeping the commands straight.
    ---

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Not encouraging so much as lamenting at the difficulty.

Of course, TFC is also pretty infamous at being stuck in a resource mulligan. Being stuck in a dry area means no clay which means no bronze age at all no matter the minerals. Getting stuck in an area with primarily conglomerates also sticks you in a bad place because you have no ready access to copper and the materials to make bronze with. Getting stuck close to a pole means almost no fruits or harvestable plants, getting stuck near the equator means no cows or sheep.

It takes a very narrow margin of conditions to make a place where Steve can truly thrive.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

So by any chance can TamTroll get permissions to use the /warp commands? I'd like to go see one of my old builds on RPworld but i can't do that without the /warp's
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    So by any chance can TamTroll get permissions to use the /warp commands? I'd like to go see one of my old builds on RPworld but i can't do that without the /warp's
    You should have this permission already. You might need to be outside of hardcore.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

okay so how do i do that? i'm currently a floating head in a built-up savannah biome. the spawn town i think.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

Is this a whitelist request? Unwhitelisted players are automatically in spectate mode.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

ah, that must be it then my mistake. Could you please whitelist user "TamTroll"? I won't stay long, just want to go in, re-visit an old build of mine, and hopefully get it coppied over into a creative world so i can transfer it to a multiplayer creative i'm a part of so i can continue work on it there.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

Could you please also whitelist 1ruka?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

23. - Top - End - #263

Added TamTroll; re-added 1ruka (old whitelist entries expired for security purposes because of the ability to change names)

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!

so weird to be seeing old content from RP world again, back when sandstone stairs weren't even a thing.

Anyways would it be at all possible to get the area at "/warp Trollplace" From X: -558, Z: 1189 to X: 335 to Z: 1469 copy-pasted into a flatland world and sent to me? Down to at least Y 50 if possible, though i'll take the entire Chunk(s) it occupies if you want/need.

Wanna try and finish this thing on a creative world with some freinds of mine, all the chests that had sand in em are locked under my old username anyways XD

Thanks if you can help!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

How difficult would it be to make a mod that adds something similar to the ExtraUtilities Culinary Generator, differentiated only by the fact that it keeps track of who placed it, basing its burn-time and Flux-per-Tick on how much they (specifically) would get out of it, and counting as them eating it for the purpose of Spice of Life?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Culinary Gen already does that I believe. It'd just be a matter of duplicating, or simulating the code.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Culinary Gen already does that I believe. It'd just be a matter of duplicating, or simulating the code.
    I don't believe the Culinary Generator is affected by Spice of Life, which is what he was asking about. As far as how easy would it be to make the generator produce less RF per item based on the number of the same item it has consumed? It would be a separate cross-compatibility mod, unless one or the other mod dev wants to build in support.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I don't believe the Culinary Generator is affected by Spice of Life, which is what he was asking about.
    Indeed.
    As far as how easy would it be to make the generator produce less RF per item based on the number of the same item it has consumed?
    Yeah, that's what I want...
    It would be a separate cross-compatibility mod,
    Obviously. I'm asking how hard that would be to make and, also, would someone do so pretty please?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Don't know why I had Spice of Life and Harvestcraft confused in my head.

Basically you'd need to register generator ownership the same way Thermal Expansion or Forestry do it, then work out how to make the generator read from the file Spice of Life uses to keep track of how many and when, and also be able to write to that, as if it were the player doing the eating.

I'm certain it's possible, but I don't know how you'd do it. It'd probably not be too difficult if you knew how.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

It would be easier to get the dev for ExUtil to write in compatibility for it than for asking random people on a random gaming forum to do it for you.
    Spoiler
    Show