A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

smile OOTS #981 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #981 - The Discussion Thread

Yay they are happy friends now!

3. - Top - End - #3

Although it's probably the right thing to do, it still feels cold to outright kill some..euh...thing you have an emotional history with. And why do I feel some sympathy for Crystal? I blame the storyteller....
    Last edited by Garwain; 2015-04-27 at 04:01 AM.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

May I just say that I'd be very surprised if Haley hasn't earned a new level through this (I know the rules don't work like that, but sometimes the narrative does)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Just had to drop in to say that I really enjoyed this strip. It's very Haley, who's my second-most-favourite OOTSer (after Durkon). She really knows who she is, and she makes no apologies.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Had to be done based on Crystal's answer there. I guess she was too hard to kill by normal means and rez, though? Why would they need to go on a quest for it?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

So Terminator 2. I imagine she was giving her a rude hand gesture off screen as she sank.
    Great movie.
    Last edited by JCAll; 2015-04-27 at 04:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's constantly-in-pain murderous enemy's life across an open pit of fire for one's little behatted friends.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Starshine! We hates it! Hates it! Forever!"

Oh, no, she's a *golem*. Right. Anyways. A fitting end!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

And that's how this loose thread ends: not with a bang, but with a brunch. There's never been a happier ending than brunch.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    Although it's probably the right thing to do, it still feels cold to outright kill some..euh...thing you have an emotional history with. And why do I feel some sympathy for Crystal? I blame the storyteller....
    I'd say any sapient being (probably even any sentient being) still qualifies as someone. That being said, killing her was necessary, and surprise was the best tactic with the least chance of casualties.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I can assure you that cultural depictions of dating are a trap, never trust them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto! View Post
    I show him where the door is, crumple his character sheet, scatter his dice across the floor, jump on the table and shriek "Out! Out, UNCLEAN ONE!" before collapsing on the floor in tremors, gibbering unearthly blasphemies in a tongue long lost to human ears.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Easiest way to solve the problem.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

What a casual killing of a terrible creature.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueWizardGirl

Well, that's not what I was expecting, but it makes a lot more sense than keeping Crystal around, considering what she's like (i.e., dangerous psychopath). I'm good with it.

So I suppose that means this arc really was just about cleaning up some Greysky City loose ends and showcasing Haley's character development. Bozzok's dead, Crystal's dead, it's unlikely any other members of the Thieves' Guild are going to come after Haley.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

The way they killed Crystal was perfect. What made this comic brutal for me was that they just went out to lunch afterwards. No "alas poor monster." I was expecting someone to have a reaction to Elab's in (panel 2, here). Haley's reaction was a little too much like Tarquin's after killing Nale, in the outgrown this antagonist sense. The lack of gravity actually made it more brutal.

The art fetishist in me wants to comment on how pretty the waste disposal plant is.
    Last edited by Jinglebelle; 2015-04-27 at 04:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Honestly Rich, these three pages represents some of the best work you have done throughout the history of the comic.
    I loved everything from the fitting end to Crystal to the breakfast burrito.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    So Terminator 2. I imagine she was giving her a rude hand gesture off screen as she sank.
    Great movie.
    Sounded more like Gollum falling into lava to me :D
    About the hand gesture, I remember a nice one in Castle Crashers. Can't remember which boss.

I guess Crystal (still) deserved that and missed her chance, big time. It's surprising that while Haley had time to devise this plan with the gnome and Bandana, expecting that Crystal hadn't change since the gnomicide, she didn't heal herself, just in case.

Edit: Also, turns out I've been entirely wrong about the purpose of this little arc being to have the diamond dust used. Thinking at it, there would be no point for Durkon having diamond dust for two spells in a first place while only one was required (on the Draketooth) if you then have to dispatch the second one. It just was to end things with Bozzok and Crystal after all.
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-04-27 at 04:23 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Holy god.

Comic of the year already.
    ~ Smoke_Rulz ~

- Best character in the comic :D
    - Extremely close second.
    - Third best as of #595.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Great strip but I feel like it's missing something. Oh, I know, a terrible pun from Elan. Now what would that be?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is definitely my favorite strip so far. The dialogue was excellent, it was funny, tied things together nicely, overall it was just amazing. Haley has changed so much. Is it strange for me to feel proud of a fictional stick figure character? Ehh, it's probably okay.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I guess Crystal (still) deserved that and missed her chance, big time. It's surprising that while Haley had time to devise this plan with the gnome and Bandana, expecting that Crystal hadn't change since the gnomicide, she didn't heal herself, just in case.
    What I liked most is that Haley gave her a chance to change, as opposed to just murdering her in cold blood. More of Elan's positive influence at work.

Also, the symbolism of Crystal's dagger shattering makes more sense now.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

smile Re: OOTS #981 - The Discussion Thread

Excellent wrapping up of loose ends, and I can't help but feeling that the conversation between Haley and Crystal Golem in the beginning was something like a "last chance" Haley was giving Crystal of proving that she could be left, uh... if not alive, at least "existing".

But after what Crystal said, it became clear for Haley that she had to be dealt with accordingly. I imagine that the "disposal" plan had been somehow agreed upon while Crystal was transforming Bozzok into a thin paste coating the walls of his hideout.

All in all, excellent comic.

The lack of "alas, poor monster" at the end makes it even better in my opinion :) I love when expectations are, occassionally, squashed without mercy.
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

That was flipping epic. I almost expected Haley to show a little bit of remorse there in the last few panels, but then, nope! "Give me another breakfast burrito". If my kids weren't asleep I'd have been laughing very, very loudly ^^

24. - Top - End - #24

Sneaky. I really thought for a while there that Haley was going to recruit her to the order.

Anyway, I guess this marks the end of the thieves guild as recurring villains. A nice arc all in all. I really like that they invited the gnome cop to brunch.
    I participated!

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Crystal was too dangerous and violent to leave alive, but there's something about killing her in the middle of a fairly friendly chat that is a bit unsettling. Immediately cutting to the celebrations after Haley just caused the deaths of two people also feels a bit wrong. Yes, the world is a slightly safer and better place without Bozzok and Crystal, but throwing a party immediately after murdering somebody doesn't feel very heroic.

Aside from that this was great. this really is a great moment for Haley, seeing what Crystal's plans for the future are and dealing of her when she just wants to kill everything by taking advantage of her nature to follow somebody who seems to know what they're doing. It's also a great way for her to shed the last of her old troubles by opening up to Crystal and being honest with her about their relationship, showing that although Crystal has been physically buffed up to Haley's level, she and Bozzok are emotionally a long way beneath her now. I've really enjoyed Haley's journey over the comic, and this is a good summary of it.

We probably aren't done with Tinkertown yet, which is good because the place has grown on me since my initial dislike. We still don't know what Hippo's looking for, which admittedly could wait until later to be revealed: the fact that he's looking for something might be an early hint for a later development.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

26. - Top - End - #26

ClericGuy

Wow. I surely didn't see that coming.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a:

Lawful Good Human Wizard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 11

What D&D character are you?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if this is a bug on my end, but the strip doesn't show as the latest on the main page. It still shows 980. 981 doesn't show until you enter the forum.

28. - Top - End - #28

RedWizardGuy

Are Haley useing bluff? and she looks like dosen't care at all.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Always nice to unwind with some waffles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroncognito View Post
    A 1 on your craft: bows roll? I think you've just crafted an angry Polar Bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    That's not... that's not how opinions work. You can't just opinion your way out of definitions. It's like me saying, "In my opinion, I'm typing this post on a banana." It's just not what's happening.

30. - Top - End - #30

Poor Crystal. Noone misses her.

Me neither.
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger