Default Through the Faerie Ring (OOC)

Featuring:

Illven
    JKTrickster
    Drako Beoulve
    Defiant Element
    Dread Head
    Whoiam

Post your sheets and details here and give me an initiative roll...

Reposting the premise...

Spoiler
    Show
    A full moon hangs in the darkening skies above; the silver orb girt by stars like diamonds studding the red and blues of sunset. A winding path has been trampled through the wheat fields and long grass . It snakes past the farms on the periphery of the backwater township where you have spent the past few days. There it meets the wooded foothills of the vale's mountain girdle. Throughout the day the path has been trampled into the soft dirt and mud-- a gift of fall's first rainfall-- by hundreds of feet as townspeople make their way into the hills.

As night falls, the pilgrimage has slowed from a constant trickle to nothing. People must wake early to get the crops in, and no fireside dance will change that, even if it does make the crops come in better. Besides, who wants to be nursing that hangover without a good nights sleep. Besides, who knows what comes out at night?

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. Durance Crossing is a small and quiet town in the middle of a chaotic country; a good central place to meet and nothing more. But gods above! The drink they brew here! Whatever the local moonshine is, it is stronger than anything you have ever tasted. They said it's made with apples. Well, mostly apples, anyway. And what is the harm in participating in the ritual a bit? At the minimum you will blend in better and have some time to catch up in private...

And the path gives way to old cobbles, sparse and worn smooth by centuries of ritual; a beaten path into the woods. When you reach the clearing the sky has darkened to deep midnight shades and the moon shines bright above. The bonfire that roared through the day is smoldering embers now, and the clearing is strewn with empty bottles.

And rising above the ashen pyre are the dolmens. A circle of old stone pillars, roughly hewn and coated with ages-old moss and lichens. Some stand like gates, one slab perched above two more. The long grass has been beaten down by dancing feet around the old stones, but none have crossed the threshold.

The people of Durance Crossing speak in hushed whispers of the dolmens, though none seem to know why. Some say they are the grave of old kings. Others say sleeping giants rest beneath the hill. Still others say it is where they fey steal through at night to snatch children back to their winter realms, and they quickly touch iron afterward.

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. And it seems like a good place to sit and enjoy the drink.

It does taste a bit of apples now, doesn't it? Well, mostly apples...

And now one of you has started another bonfire, though the bright moonlight seems to have washed the colors out. It's too pale. But the drink is flowing strong one someone started singing. You never would have guessed he had such a singing voice. Which of them is that now? Your head is spinning.

Oh well, there were more bottles. Nothing another nip won't fix.

And now you are dancing, because someone was singing, and because it's tradition and seemed like a good idea at the time. And above the stars are wheeling, unless that's just your pounding head, and as you dance about the landscape seen through the dolmen gates seems to dance and shift with you. And someone is singing again but there seem to be too many voices and the laughing sounds off and everything is spinning and fading.

Fading to black...

And you finally open your eyes in a field of gold and purple grass under a blazing aurora in a violet sky studded with unfamiliar stars and far milder temperatures than the early fall you remembered. And your head is pounding but you are sober, sober enough to realize you are not in Durance Crossing anymore.

Though where you are now...

Well, that's anyone's guess.

Through the Faerie Ring
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring (OOC)

Character sheet for Thanquil.

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Background: Thanquil is the third child of Duke Steelsong, eclipsed in his youth by his elder siblings, he was always a bit of a disappointment to his father. Thanquil never liked weapons training, he preferred studying in his fathers library and learning from the priests although he never wished to join the priesthood. The only other part of his training he truly enjoyed were the music lessons and to this day he still sings regularly. When he was 22 years old Thanquil, tired of the pressure, left his fathers estates to travel the land learning from experience. He has been travelling on and off since then staying for a time when something catches his interest be it a library containing texts he has not read, an area with unexplored ruins or a pretty noble's daughter. He always returns to the road again though hoping to find his true calling. Most recently he travelled to Durance Crossing to witness the ritual pilgrimage of the villagers and study some of the folklore in the area. Little did he expect to get so caught up in the festivities...

Personality: Thanquil is often distracted, thinking on some puzzle or problem but when something catches his attention he becomes extremely focused. He has an analytical and inquisitive mind from years of study. Whilst he finds pleasantries and small talk a bit tedious, when he wants to he can be very charming. Thanquil was a loner in his youth, caught up in his studies so he finds it difficult to open up to people which is part of the reason he never settles in one place for long. The other part is a deep and intense desire to understand the world and his place within it. He is prepared to do anything for his studies and has been known to travel with adventuring parties for the chance to dissect the corpses of monsters they defeat. Thanguil grew up in luxury and is used to a certain standard of living but he won't complain at a bit of hardship and has spent more than a few nights sleeping under hedges during his travels. He is also pretty scared of personal injury so tends to stay away from fights.

Appearance: Thanquil is average height and slightly built with black hair tied into a ponytail and piercing blue eyes. He wears once fine clothes that are a little worn from too long on the road. He occasionally wears spectacles to help with his poor eyesight but often misplaces or breaks them.

Initiative: (1d20+2)[17]

Are we choosing speech colours as well? If so I pick Dark Orange

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Here is Desssria, the world's chattiest blacksmith.

"Initiative" - (1d20+7)[20]

She shall speak in Fire Brick, to honor the flames of the mighty forge!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

May I introduce Sir Kiirion Grey, aspiring knight errant.

Spoiler: Character Details
    Show
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=176194

Background:
    Kiirion is the second of Sir Richard of Grey, a minor borderland lord, whose ancestors claimed a direct lineage to the legendary Dragonlords themselves. The ever-present skirmishes at the border meant that Kiirion's martial training began at a very young age. When it was discovered that Kiirion was Dragontouched, his father was quick to find a suitable mentor—so that Kiirion's newfound abilities could be better leveraged to the defense of the keep. It was expected of Kiirion that he would become his brother's Swordmaster when his brother inherited the lord’s seat, but upon attaining his shield, Kiirion disobeyed his father's orders and struck out on his own, determined to make a name for himself as a knight errant about whom songs would be written.

After a year of aimless wandering, Kiirion's funds have begun to run low, and he's yet to perform a single song-worthy deed, notwithstanding the odd encounter with highwayman or cat stuck up in a tree. True, he's met some interesting companions along the way, but as they stop for the night in the small town of Durance Crossing, he can't help but despair of ever finding a noble quest worthy of his youthful aspirations. As he drowns his doubts in drink that night, he begins to think that maybe it would be best if he returned home. Perhaps it's simply not his lot to see wondrous places and perform great feats and to be sung of in the halls of men and fae...

Appearance & Personality:
    Kiirion is quite tall and well-built, even for a human, yet his green eyes and pale skin betray hints of Elven heritage, and the shock of red through his dark brown hair clearly marks him as Dragontouched. He wears his hair close-cropped, which lends him a martial aspect that is quickly confirmed by the panoply of armor and arms on his person. His clothing is simple, but well-cut.

Overeager is perhaps the best description of Kiirion. Raised on tales of great deeds and greater heroes, Kiirion has yet to fully accept the lesson that real life does not always conform to chivalric ideals, which can make him quite credulous. At the same time, as a young knight errant, Kiirion rejects the rigidity of his elders' single-minded obedience to the letter of the law. His precociousness can at times be quite abrasive to those around him.

Party Role:
    Kiirion's is first and foremost a tank and secondarily a battlefield controller. In combat, he uses Stand Still and Entangling Exhalation (duration enhanced by Power Surge) to limit enemies' movement, and Martial Spirit/Crusader's Strike to maintain his health. His less martial comrades would be well-advised to stay within the protection afforded by his deadly pike.
    Outside of combat, Kiirion is rather less well-equipped for success—hardly a surprise given the overwhelming combat-orientation of his upbringing and tutelage. Nevertheless, his openness to new experience, cheerful demeanor, and willingness to lend a helping hand do something to ameliorate his glaring lack of useful skills.

Initiative: (1d20+3)[14]

And for his speech, he shall use azure to reflect his commitment to truth and loyalty.

Edit: For anyone subscribed to this thread, sorry for the multiple posts/deletions. I was having some difficulty with the internal dice roller, but I think I figured out.
    Last edited by Defiant Element; 2015-04-27 at 10:03 AM.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Dice roller os a bit of a PiA, can't be edited in and all that. Double posting in OOC threads is generally ok since rolls can come up at unexpected times
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingPirate

Presenting Eliot Willspeaker

His color will be dark green remainding the force of nature.

Spoiler: Initiative Check
    Show
    (1d20+3)[7]
    Last edited by Drako_Beoulve; 2015-04-27 at 10:15 AM.
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Ah sorry for my late replies!

So glad everyone else is here!

Presenting, Keith Zen! Time manipulating archer!

Here's just the short teaser on him:

Spoiler: Appearance, Personality, and Background
    Show

Appearance: Keith is around 5'10'', with dull brown hair and hazel colored eyes. He always has a small smile on his face, like he knows something that you don't. Keith isn't extremely tall or built or muscular - he doesn't have a rippling body or six-pack abs. He's actually a little stocky and thick of frame for someone who's trained in the art of archery. His tanned skin and rough hands show that Keith is obviously someone who spends more time outdoors than inside. More than anything, he looks like a farmer instead of a soldier or an athlete. But despite not being lithe or lanky, Keith is surprisingly fast on his feet. He naturally runs faster than most men and jumps farther than most animals. He can duck and weave and slip between spaces that most people would think he was too thick to get through.

Personality: For most people, Keith is a strange conundrum. He almost always seems calm and collected - like he is never pressured or stuck in an awkward position. He comes across as someone who would handle things slowly and surely - making sure everything is perfect on the spot. On the other hand, he is ridiculously daring and bold - he always seems to take risks that would make any other person hesitate and back off. Instead, he jumps forward with absolute certainty, sure that he could get out on top no matter what. He never sounds as confident as he acts - never one to boast or sound conceited. To be completely honest, Keith doesn't talk that much at all. The only exception is when Keith drinks - then he starts talking about weird stuff that no one understands.

Background: Ever since he could remember, Keith has always been different. It just took him a long time to realize it. Keith was born with a rare ability to truly perceive time as it is: not as a line that moves forward, but a matrix that is bound to the space and world around them. And that knowledge, that perception, gives Keith abilities beyond any human would be able to imagine. It allows Keith to make decisions with more time than anyone else could hope for. He can always weigh the options before doing anything and he can always be prepared - at least mentally, if not physically. He can stare and wonder and figure out exactly what other people are thinking, just because he gets to see every micro-expression they make with each passing second. He knows that these abilities are a gift; he isn't shy to use them to improve his archery and make up for his other shortcomings. But at the same time, these powers have made him feel so terribly alone. Each passing moment, he is constantly reminded that he sees the world completely different from everyone else.

Such a shame, because it's so beautiful to see each passing second as its own.

Uh....let's see. Speech Color and Initiative?
    I'm not sure but I think Gray would be pretty cool! Unless Dark Gray is more visible?

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(d20+2)[8]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Sorry for my late reply as well.

Melinda will pick Purple. because it's whats left.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=143385

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

Melinda comes from a big family. Or at least a not small one. A Warblade Father, and wizard mother, and three younger siblings. A close family, Melinda adores her siblings and parents and would do anything for them.

From an early age, Melinda was strong and smart. Able to punch out the bullies of her schoolhouse, and out-think the vast majority of the students.

Her social life was rather small, but not non-existent, with a small group of loyal friends.

Then during some roughhousing, she got hit in the head and awoke her psionic power.

Fire might have been easier for the kids to deal with. You can flee fire. Instead they were mind controlled, compelled to follow Melinda's every word.

After the power display, most of her friends stopped hanging out in fear.

She left the town that she grew up in. There was no future for her, when half the people could barely speak to her without crapping their pants.

Init (1d20+6)[12]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

And the IC is up now as well!

Yeah, the initiative was just to see who woke first and has no bearing on anything, feel free to have at it.

10. - Top - End - #10

SwashbucklerGuy

Yay! There's an IC thread as well!

So just two more things here. One is an elaboration on my character, and the other is a question for our fine DM

I was thinking about how it was like for my character to drink, and I realized drinking probably dulls his senses and makes him feel more "relatable" to the average human. He probably thinks that drinking helps him talk with people, when in reality it just helps him talk with drunk people

So he probably drinks a lot, even though he can't really hold his drink. He's probably a happy drunk, or at least a really talkative one that just won't shut up. Of the six of us, probably Kiirion and Elliot have the best stomach for drinking.

What kind of drunk do you think your characters are?

Oh and for the DM:

So you told me that it would be alright if I could take Pathfinder feats like Deadly Aim or Clustered Shots. So I'm not sure but would you allowed the Weathered Warrior feat? Do you think wind is going to play any factor in the game?

That feat would be the reason why I currently have Endurance on my sheet

11. - Top - End - #11

NinjaGuy

Kiirion’s certainly got the constitution to knock back a pint or two, but he’s usually abstemious by inclination. As a rule, he only drinks when he’s got something particularly special to celebrate or in response to peer pressure, to which he is admittedly pretty susceptible. When he does drink, he tends to go a bit overboard, but, happily, he’s a pretty gregarious drunk, and he holds his liquor quite well. And since nothing keeps his natural eagerness down for very long, he recovers quickly from hangovers.

Last night, though, was the rare occasion on which Kiirion was driven to drink by sheer ennui, and the alcohol only served to amplify his melancholy. Kiirion’s companions (and anyone else who happened to be in the inn, for that matter), were probably quite glad to see him walk out the door heading in the direction of the stables. Frankly, he was bringing down the mood.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    Yay! There's an IC thread as well!

So just two more things here. One is an elaboration on my character, and the other is a question for our fine DM

I was thinking about how it was like for my character to drink, and I realized drinking probably dulls his senses and makes him feel more "relatable" to the average human. He probably thinks that drinking helps him talk with people, when in reality it just helps him talk with drunk people

So he probably drinks a lot, even though he can't really hold his drink. He's probably a happy drunk, or at least a really talkative one that just won't shut up. Of the six of us, probably Kiirion and Elliot have the best stomach for drinking.

What kind of drunk do you think your characters are?

Oh and for the DM:

So you told me that it would be alright if I could take Pathfinder feats like Deadly Aim or Clustered Shots. So I'm not sure but would you allowed the Weathered Warrior feat? Do you think wind is going to play any factor in the game?

That feat would be the reason why I currently have Endurance on my sheet
    Well, you could take it. I am not sure how often it will come up because i don't have a bunch of preset adventures so much as a meta plot and whatever you encounter via exploration. I have been trying to use more environmental hazards in my DMing so it is plausible

13. - Top - End - #13

Thanquil likes the occasional drink but doesn't drink to excess very often. He likely gets drunk after a few drinks and talks loudly and at length about philosophy and his recent research to anyone who will listen. After a few more drinks he's going to be dancing (terribly) and singing raunchy songs (quite well). After that he'll be about at his limit and fall into silence as he becomes preoccupied with his own thoughts before he passes out.

I'll post in the IC thread shortly.

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm going to post in the IC thread later tonight. Still trying to work out what or how it might feel like for my character to wake up hung over in the faerie realm.

Also I rolled one of the lowest initiatives so it makes sense for my character to wake up last

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, as is my habit in these sorts of games, I'm going to glance through each of your sheets and suggest who I think may have known Desssria before the previous night's festivities.

Spoiler: Melinda
    Show

Psst: Shouldn't your skills be topping out at 7 ranks like the rest of us?

Spoiler: Elliot
    Show

Psst: Your sheet still lists his name as being 'Cain'

What I'd like is for Desssria to have known at least one of you before coming to Durance Crossing. And ideally have travelled to the town with one of the others. From what I've seen via my illicit peeking, I'm going to suggest she would have most likely travelled with either Melinda or Kirion. In both cases, the basic trade is that she's swap access to her social and craft skills in exchange for having a big, strong fighting type to hide behind if there's trouble on the road. (Or if some superstitious sort gets the bright idea to try and run her out of town...)

The exchange would still be much the same if she travelled with Kirion and Thanquil together - while Thanquil is basically a match for her in Diplomacy and Bluff (and would be miles better if she ever loaned him her Circlet of Persuasion), she does still bring some sorely needed Sense Motive ranks to the party :)

What do people think?

And on a drinking note, Desssria ties with Thanquil for the party's lowest CON score, so she's not got much of a stomach for alcohol either. And social drinking is a really, really rare thing for her, as she's not normally welcome enough in a place to want to be drunk there.

16. - Top - End - #16

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    So, as is my habit in these sorts of games, I'm going to glance through each of your sheets and suggest who I think may have known Desssria before the previous night's festivities.

What I'd like is for Desssria to have known at least one of you before coming to Durance Crossing. And ideally have travelled to the town with one of the others. From what I've seen via my illicit peeking, I'm going to suggest she would have most likely travelled with either Melinda or Kirion. In both cases, the basic trade is that she's swap access to her social and craft skills in exchange for having a big, strong fighting type to hide behind if there's trouble on the road. (Or if some superstitious sort gets the bright idea to try and run her out of town...)

The exchange would still be much the same if she travelled with Kirion and Thanquil together - while Thanquil is basically a match for her in Diplomacy and Bluff (and would be miles better if she ever loaned him her Circlet of Persuasion), she does still bring some sorely needed Sense Motive ranks to the party :)

What do people think?

It would certainly be in keeping with Kiirion's character to act as Desssria's traveling companion-qua-bodyguard--actually, it would be a point of privilege for him to accompany her--and he definitely wouldn't take kindly to anyone who was mistreating her. He would also stand out in a crowd as a well-intentioned potential meatshield, so it wouldn't be at all surprising if Dessria had identified him pretty easily as a good choice for a traveling companion. And since he's basically been wandering around looking for good deeds to do, Desssria could pretty much have met him anywhere--since she's an artificer, he might even have actively sought her out seeking some particular armament.

17. - Top - End - #17

I would also think Melinda would know Desssria from before game start.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Okay :)

So, going by the tones of your responses, would everyone be happy with the story going like this:

A couple of years back, Desssria was hired to fit and/or make Melinda's full plate, and the two got to know each other while she was working on it. But they went their separate ways after the fitting.

Later, probably just a few weeks before the game started, Desssria ran across either Kirion or Kirion and Thanquil, and was still travelling with him/them when they reached Durance Crossing.

While Kirion (and Thanquil if appropriate) were drinking for their own reasons, Desssria and Melinda were drinking to celebrate their reunion (as neither one has many people in their past that would actually be glad to see them again, when they do find one it's something worth celebrating with a drink that's rather stronger than either of them expected...)

Sound good?

19. - Top - End - #19

So, going by the tones of your responses, would everyone be happy with the story going like this:

A couple of years back, Desssria was hired to fit and/or make Melinda's full plate, and the two got to know each other while she was working on it. But they went their separate ways after the fitting.

Later, probably just a few weeks before the game started, Desssria ran across either Kirion or Kirion and Thanquil, and was still travelling with him/them when they reached Durance Crossing.

While Kirion (and Thanquil if appropriate) were drinking for their own reasons, Desssria and Melinda were drinking to celebrate their reunion (as neither one has many people in their past that would actually be glad to see them again, when they do find one it's something worth celebrating with a drink that's rather stronger than either of them expected...)

Sound good?
    That sounds good with me.

20. - Top - End - #20

NinjaGuy

Sound good?
    Makes sense to me. That leaves Keith and Eliot as potential newcomers. Any thoughts on how we might integrate them (if at all)?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I didn't really have any good ideas for those two.

The thing about Keith is that... well, read his backstory. It does give a decent idea of how Keith sees the world, but I have no idea what he's actually done with his life. Since I've no idea what he's actually done, I can't offer much in the way of ideas for how to tie it to someone else's.

Elliot has a similar problem - I haven't seen his backstory at all, so again, no idea how to fit another party member into that.

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

I originally left the origins a little blank so I could fill it in when you were collaborating something like this.

Keith travels around a lot - always eager to take on tasks that might be more difficult or challenging for other people. Due to his unique nature, he's naturally inquisitive and bold - always willing to take risks. In particular, I feel like he would also love archery contests, or any other contests of agility or speed or finesse. Trying to test how much better he can push himself.

Perhaps you guys saw him at this festival or that festival, where there were contests or archery bouts going around. Always something nice to see, no?

But for how we decided to stick together - I think that's more interesting.

I always thought of all of us having some kind of intertwined history together. That doesn't mean everyone absolutely knows everyone else, or to the same degree. Maybe for Keith, you just saw him once or twice, or maybe he heard stories or small feats that each of you accomplished. After a while, maybe one of our mutual friends introduced us two to each other.

And it's also important why we stick together. Maybe Keith likes Kiirion's enthusiasm and eagerness. Maybe he loves balancing that against Thanquil's older experience and cynicism. Maybe he loves the way Desssria talks, or how mysterious Melinda is. Elliot is an interesting contrast to Dessria - he may look very much like a man, but he is in fact much more beastly than Desssria and yet that brutality belies an unconventional type of wisdom and connection to nature.

If anything, maybe Desssria saw Keith one time, performing great feats of archery. Maybe that piqued her interest and she started talking to him - that would be pretty funny huh?

~~~
    Also another DM inquiry if you don't mind

Okay I'll probably end up taking it just for the flavor. Makes sense that he knows how to counter for wind - has more time to draw arrows right?

Just another point -

I noticed that if I use Extended Pause for 1 single Full Round Action, it seems like a waste. I spend the points and 1 Full Round Action....to get 1 Full Round Action. The only time Extended Pause is "worth it" is if I spend almost all of my points to get 2 Full Round Actions.

Do you think there is a way to have a minor bonus so that even getting 1 Full Round Action would be "worth" it? Or does the ability naturally favor "bursting" for multiple rounds?

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    I originally left the origins a little blank so I could fill it in when you were collaborating something like this.

Keith travels around a lot - always eager to take on tasks that might be more difficult or challenging for other people. Due to his unique nature, he's naturally inquisitive and bold - always willing to take risks. In particular, I feel like he would also love archery contests, or any other contests of agility or speed or finesse. Trying to test how much better he can push himself.

Perhaps you guys saw him at this festival or that festival, where there were contests or archery bouts going around. Always something nice to see, no?

But for how we decided to stick together - I think that's more interesting.

I always thought of all of us having some kind of intertwined history together. That doesn't mean everyone absolutely knows everyone else, or to the same degree. Maybe for Keith, you just saw him once or twice, or maybe he heard stories or small feats that each of you accomplished. After a while, maybe one of our mutual friends introduced us two to each other.

And it's also important why we stick together. Maybe Keith likes Kiirion's enthusiasm and eagerness. Maybe he loves balancing that against Thanquil's older experience and cynicism. Maybe he loves the way Desssria talks, or how mysterious Melinda is. Elliot is an interesting contrast to Dessria - he may look very much like a man, but he is in fact much more beastly than Desssria and yet that brutality belies an unconventional type of wisdom and connection to nature.

If anything, maybe Desssria saw Keith one time, performing great feats of archery. Maybe that piqued her interest and she started talking to him - that would be pretty funny huh?

What if Kiirion and Keith were both victors in different events at the same tourney (maybe grand melee and archery, respectively)? Or, if not victors, they might at least have met by virtue of their both competing. I think that Kiirion would respond positively to Keith's bold disposition and particularly to his willingness to constantly test his own limits.

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

I just want to point out that he certainly seems very bold - in reality he's actually a very calculating person. He just happens to take a very short amount to calculate a lot.

So he always seems more bold/willing to take risks/calmer than most.

But yeah I agree - they would definitely take a quick liking to each other

25. - Top - End - #25

Ok, some suggestions for how Thanquil knows party members.

Kiirion: As fellow itinerant nobility, they travelled together at some point in the past. As a bard Thanquil would appreciate Kiirions chivalric ideals and perhaps he promised he'd write songs of his deeds? Perhaps as someone who'd been roaming for over a decade Thanquil took Kiirion under his wing to teach him how to survive on the road? Say we met up again after six months and after hearing your disillusions of life on the road I suggested you accompany me for a while

Desssria, Melinda: So we met up on the road a few weeks ago, were you travelling to Durance Crossing or just passing through? Thanquil would respect Dessrias craftsmanship and might have expressed interest in commissioning some pieces. He would have respected Melinda's intelligence and knowledge and would have spent time on the road trying to learn more about Psionics, an area Thanquil knows little about.

Keith: Thanquil met him at some point in the past and struck up a friendship with him as he was intrigued by his specific and unique powers?

Elliot: No specific suggestions for how Thanquil knows Elliot. Perhaps from adventuring? Or maybe not at all?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

For the record, the idea was that Desssria came to Durance Crossing with Kiirion, not with Melinda (whom she knew from earlier - the reunion with Melinda when they both reached the town was the occasion that tempted the normally abstentious Desssria into drinking).

I'm happy to adjust that to 'with Kiirion and Thanquil', though :)

27. - Top - End - #27

For the record, the idea was that Desssria came to Durance Crossing with Kiirion, not with Melinda (whom she knew from earlier - the reunion with Melinda when they both reached the town was the occasion that tempted the normally abstentious Desssria into drinking).

I'm happy to adjust that to 'with Kiirion and Thanquil', though :)
    Oh right, sorry I misread that. Yeh having arrived with Kiirion and Desssria works for me.

28. - Top - End - #28

So you're a friend of a friend then.

29. - Top - End - #29

SwashbucklerGuy

I think it would make sense for Thanquil to be a mentor for the whole party. He probably had adventured for the longest period of time and has had the most experience. He could be the de facto leader which makes me feel like he would've brought Kiirion under his wing.

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingPirate

Mmmmmhh, where did my backstory go...?, I put it in the sheet...wathever, I will need to put it agan.

And for link Elliot with other PCs is easy, Elliot is a Hunter that lives in the Town's surroundings more precisely in the forest and many people came to him to ask help on adventuring, hunting, tracking, etc.

I will post in the IC this night
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix