New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Can manifesters learn lower-level powers in place of higher-level ones?

I'm running into a situation where there simply aren't enough powers of a given level to choose any particular (non-redundant) ones for my Psonics Unleashed Psion. Specifically, at fifth level (DSP, by virtue of not having CPsi stuff available that I can see, has a very limited selection for a generalist), there's just nothing useful to take. What I'm wondering, then, is if I can use a power known at that level to select a lower-level one to add to my powers known list or not; I can think of some fourths and thirds I'd very much like.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Can manifesters learn lower-level powers in place of higher-level ones?

There is nothing that states you have to learn a new power from the highest available level. If I recall correctly.
    For Cao Cao, For Wei!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Can manifesters learn lower-level powers in place of higher-level ones?

Yes, you can do this in both 3.5 and PF, just like a sorcerer can. For example, psions are referred to their class table, which says "Maximum Power Level Known," and nothing in the text contradicts that, therefore the table stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)